Canton McKinley s Record this year

If you guys hate each other so much, why don't you quit playing each other? Oh wait, this is one of the greatest football rivalry in the nation. If you didn't have each other who would you be? McKinley and Massillon goes together like peanut butter and jelly. Best of luck to both schools. May the rivalry live on and may us casual fans be allowed to jump on the band wagon and enjoy the spectacle too.
We would never want to stop playing each other.

I think it makes the game better when both schools are doing well. I would think that both communities would like to see the other do well.
McKinley will be back at the top, it may even take a couple of years, but they’ll get back there.?

McKinley will be back at the top, it may even take a couple of years, but they’ll get back there.?
McK was on its way, right before pizza gate. The kids were there and the 9th graders were on their way, with loads of talent in basketball and football. We lost a lot of the football players. Basketball may be ok in the next few years if the 9th graders stay at McK.

So you believe that in 2-3 years mck will achieve which one or all 3 ?
1. Win the State Title ?
2. Win Region 1 ?
3. Win the fed ?

So you believe that in 2-3 years mck will achieve which one or all 3 ?
1. Win the State Title ?
2. Win Region 1 ?
3. Win the fed ?
I think they will be back to being competitive with the top teams in Division 1. This year was going to be the start. For years, McKinley was really tough, and did not win state championships, but teams knew they were going to be in for a dog fight. That’s where we have to get back to.

I think they will be back to being competitive with the top teams in Division 1. This year was going to be the start. For years, McKinley was really tough, and did not win state championships, but teams knew they were going to be in for a dog fight. That’s where we have to get back to.
People may not want to hear this or may not agree, but If the Superintendent and School board had just asked the head football coach to resign and told the assistants to go through sensitivity training the fall out would have been minimal or nonexistent. All of those players would have stayed and McKinley would have been on their way. Crowds would be there and growing. It’s really a shame.

Whether it’s Hall or the next HC somehow mck needs to get this right and he needs to stay for at least 5 years. Hall is the 5th HC in the last 10 years and with that kind of turnover the lower levels are going to be a mess.
At the mck game, some mck fans were telling me that Wattley was just starting to get that under control and now it’s all back to square 1 again.

Whether it’s Hall or the next HC somehow mck needs to get this right and he needs to stay for at least 5 years. Hall is the 5th HC in the last 10 years and with that kind of turnover the lower levels are going to be a mess.
At the mck game, some mck fans were telling me that Wattley was just starting to get that under control and now it’s all back to square 1 again.
Yes. I agree that McKinley definitely needs coaching stability.

So that means the Superintendent and Board has to get this right.
Not quite sure that will happen. McK will have to get creative if they move away from Antonio. I think it’s a large hole to dig out of. Does Hall remain the AD? Will he be involved in replacing himself in that case? Yikes, that could get ugly after he’s seen as having a decently successful season.

They are going to need to offer someone something significant in order to attract who they might want. There is a college coach at a large D1 school that has a brother, maybe McK could target him? I think he still lives in the area. Other than him, I don’t know of any coaches off the top of my head. I don’t even think the guy I’m talking about coaches anymore… Bottom line is McK is going to have to do something similar to Massillon where they got who they wanted and gave him what it took to get him.

Build the new coach a penthouse overlooking Benson.??

So, at McKinley, a 6-4 record, a loss to your arch rival and the inability to even win a share of the Fed title is considered "miraculous"? Interesting
I think everyone is really nitpicking words here.
Bottom line is that at 6-4 (now 7-4) McK and Hall did better than almost everyone expected.

I think everyone is really nitpicking words here.
Bottom line is that at 6-4 (now 7-4) McK and Hall did better than almost everyone expected.
I completely agree with you in regards to McKinley doing better than most people would have thought. I know that I had them winning 5 games.
That being said though, I just don't think it warrants the phrase "miraculous job" or coach of the year discussion.

I expected McKinley to win the fed. I always do. They always should. Biggest surprise was Hoover. Didn't see that coming. Credit to them.

That said 5-1 in league, and 6-4 overall can be viewed positively (if you're an optimist) given the circumstances - but next year has to be alot better. Bottom line older McKinley fans know good football from bad football. FL titles don't mean squat.

McKinley was supposed to get beat by Wayne and Jackson.You can look at the glass half empty or half full.Now the Bulldogs play Jackson again in a pick em game.

I expected McKinley to win the fed. I always do. They always should. Biggest surprise was Hoover. Didn't see that coming. Credit to them.

That said 5-1 in league, and 6-4 overall can be viewed positively (if you're an optimist) given the circumstances - but next year has to be alot better. Bottom line older McKinley fans know good football from bad football. FL titles don't mean squat.
Except if Massillon had been accepted into the Fed like they’ve applied before. Then, and only then would Fed titles become important. It’s kind of funny.
Oh well, good luck to McKinley and Massillon this week.

Except if Massillon had been accepted into the Fed like they’ve applied before. Then, and only then would Fed titles become important. It’s kind of funny.
Fed titles would mean nothing to most Massillon fans that I know. Massillon has 2 goals every year, beat McKinley and win the state championship. Massillon routinely does one of those, and is trying like all heck to accomplish the other.
Winning the league championship of an average league would just be a step on the way to one of the 2 important goals.

Fed titles would mean nothing to most Massillon fans that I know. Massillon has 2 goals every year, beat McKinley and win the state championship. Massillon routinely does one of those, and is trying like all heck to accomplish the other.
Winning the league championship of an average league would just be a step on the way to one of the 2 important goals.
Point being that Massillon fans wouldn’t put down the Fed like they do had they been accepted into the league.

Point being that Massillon fans wouldn’t put down the Fed like they do had they been accepted into the league.

Prolly not, if they continued to beat McKinley and win playoff games. But if you think McKinley fans who regret joining are bad, if our 2 roles were reversed I could not even imagine the revolt, nor want to.

Keep telling yourself that if you think that makes your mess of a situation any better.
My mess? I like HS football, but my life doesn’t hang in the balance of teenage boys playing a game. We know you still wear your letterman jacket, so I’m sure your life is affected in a different manner.

Like I said, good luck to McK and Massillon this week. You’re welcome to send me an exuberant amount of PMs because that’s you.

Yes we would. Massillon being in the Fed does make it a stronger league, buy it would still be a mediocre league.
Keep telling yourself that. The Fed would instantly become a top end conference. It would turn to gold with the Massillon touch.

We are just talking football -wise correct?

Adding Massillon in all sports would certainly weaken the league.

What public school league in Ohio is better (football-wise) than the Fed? Larger schools D3 or higher.

Last edited:
If Massillon were in the Fed....it's NOT winning the league championship that would really draw Massillon fans attention .

Keep telling yourself that. The Fed would instantly become a top end conference. It would turn to gold with the Massillon touch.

We are just talking football -wise correct?

Adding Massillon in all sports would certainly weaken the league.

What public school league in Ohio is better (football-wise) than the Fed? Larger schools D3 or higher.
But....we were told that the Fed would bring McKinley's "other" sports up and improve them....has that happened?

But....we were told that the Fed would bring McKinley's "other" sports up and improve them....has that happened?
I never stated that. Honestly, not sure how that’s measured? I guess we could look at W-L for other sports outside of football. Then we’d have to do some sort of SOS for each sport pre and post joining. I don’t necessarily have an argument built against what you’re saying, but I’m not sure what the evidence would be supporting your stance.