How many games do 9-16 teams need to win to validate 16 teams?

Yeah, I'm sure the majority of those seniors on seeds 9-16 are super bummed their HS football careers get extended by at least one additional game.
That's a great point. I am sure most seniors who really love the game, especially those whose careers might not be advancing to the next level, would give anything to play one more Friday night under the lights even if it is a game where you are probably going to get throttled.

That's a great point. I am sure most seniors who really love the game, especially those whose careers might not be advancing to the next level, would give anything to play one more Friday night under the lights even if it is a game where you are probably going to get throttled.
Yeah, what an incredibly stupid comment to imply that giving more high school football players access to a taste of the postseason is somehow detrimental to them.

If you don't like the expanded playoffs, that's fine, but save the "no one cares about the kids" crocodile tears for the shot clock thread on the basketball forum.

The question is, will ticket sales be high enough this week to justify 16 teams in the playoffs.

I bet the answer will be Yes.
Anybody know the breakdown of % of ticket sales that go back to high school football teams this year?

For round one games that are generally expected to be lopsided with large travel distances? Visiting fan count might be low. Will home count make up for it? People are hard to predict. Rain may kill the experiment in many parts.

I need a...

Cincinnati Oak Hills Highlanders
2021 OHSAA State Playoffs
0-10

...t-shirt.

Ohio's first ever 0-11 high school football team.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Willard was 0-11 last year.

You must be really disappointed.

Someone already pointed this out, but it doesn't take away from the want. I want one of those t-shirts.
eh, owning it is a good road. They could make some money and differ the azzhats by showing they're still proud. A kid/team that plays 10 losing games and still plays is pretty resilient. I'm with you on this. If I lived in the area, I'd buy.

The stated purpose of the OHSAA playoff structure is to ensure that all teams with a legitimate ability to win the state championship are included.
Therefore, to validate the 16 teams per region, one of the 9-16 teams would have to run the table.
Under the 8 teams per region structure, we have had VERY FEW times where an 8 seed has won, but probably more times where a 5-7 seed has one.
This is simply an #OHSAAmoneygrab.

The idea is absurd. If teams 9 through infinity want to schedule a game in week 11, they should be able to. The 2-8, 1-9 and 0-10 teams who frankly have had enough football for one season should be able to turn in their equipment.

The stated purpose of the OHSAA playoff structure is to ensure that all teams with a legitimate ability to win the state championship are included.
Therefore, to validate the 16 teams per region, one of the 9-16 teams would have to run the table.
Under the 8 teams per region structure, we have had VERY FEW times where an 8 seed has won, but probably more times where a 5-7 seed has one.
This is simply an #OHSAAmoneygrab.
In year 1 of the eight-team format (1999), no 5-8 seeds won a title. Does that mean it wasn’t validated? Of course not, because it was shown throughout the ensuing years that 5-8 seeds did win a few.

In year 1 of the eight-team format (1999), no 5-8 seeds won a title. Does that mean it wasn’t validated? Of course not, because it was shown throughout the ensuing years that 5-8 seeds did win a few.
I'll bet you right now that no 13-16 seed wins a second round game on the field this year.
You've got 28 chances!

There will absolutely be a 9-16 seed to win a championship in the coming years, and why does it only have to be state? Shouldnt a regional title quite frankly be enough to validate that the best team in a region didn't come from the playoff teams that previously didn't qualify. A good example of this is Clyde in 2019. They were the D4 state champs and the 8 seed. They won a 1 possession game in the regular season, where had the ball bounced a different way they easily could have lost and ended up the 15 seed. That is a team that absolutely could have won a championship from that range (I mean we already know they won it all). There will be a team that catches fire and runs the table from a lower seed, its bound to happen.

There will absolutely be a 9-16 seed to win a championship in the coming years, and why does it only have to be state? Shouldnt a regional title quite frankly be enough to validate that the best team in a region didn't come from the playoff teams that previously didn't qualify. A good example of this is Clyde in 2019. They were the D4 state champs and the 8 seed. They won a 1 possession game in the regular season, where had the ball bounced a different way they easily could have lost and ended up the 15 seed. That is a team that absolutely could have won a championship from that range (I mean we already know they won it all). There will be a team that catches fire and runs the table from a lower seed, its bound to happen.
pretty good work there kingpin

I love the expanded playoffs. The same complaints were voiced when they expanded from 4 to 8.
Several low seed teams lost tonight and several more were in extremely close games tonight.
Sure, there were blowouts but there are blowouts all season.
How come no one complains during all the other sports’ tournaments???
Is making the playoffs a little less special? I guess. But who cares??? Let them play!!!

#16 Copley took Norton down to the wire. Had the ball inside the 5 with less than 2 minutes, tip pass at the line for an INT. Norton gets ensuing first down on the drive to seal it by inches.