Best Team to Miss the Playoffs

wls_color

This will be an "all-time" thread now that you can win 0 games and still get in (haha).

Who was the best team to miss the playoffs? I was surfing joeeitel.com like I find myself doing all too often and stumbled across this.

2019 Winton Woods finished 9th in Region 8.

2019 Winton Woods beat the D2 State Champions (LaSalle in Week 9), beat the D3 State Champions (Trotwood Madison in Week 1) and lost by 5 to the D1 State Runner Up (Elder in Week 8). They finished the year 6-3, not playing a Week 10 game. Winton Woods finished .5 points behind the 8 seed in Region 8 to miss the playoffs.

Is 2019 Winton Woods the best team to ever miss the playoffs? Going to statistically be hard to argue against them, right?

2019 Winton Woods Warriors Results

This will be an "all-time" thread now that you can win 0 games and still get in (haha).

Who was the best team to miss the playoffs? I was surfing joeeitel.com like I find myself doing all too often and stumbled across this.

2019 Winton Woods beat the D2 State Champions (LaSalle in Week 9), beat the D3 State Champions (Trotwood Madison in Week 1) and lost by 5 to the D1 State Runner Up (Elder in Week 8). They finished the year 6-3, not playing a Week 10 game. Winton Woods finished .5 points behind the 8 seed in Region 8 to miss the playoffs.

Is 2019 Winton Woods the best team to ever miss the playoffs? Going to statistically be hard to argue against them, right?

And WW lost to Two time defending State Champs from Missouri Christian Brothers in St Louis.

Ohio State RB Miyan Williams was dealing with an injury much of that year I believe and that didn't help Winton Woods.

I'm sure they're have been plenty of times that over-scheduling has cost some teams the playoffs for sure; probably even some MAC teams; Would definitely need a refresher on specifics; I believe Mooney and Ursuline a couple of years ago over-scheduled big time and missed the playoffs.

I would love to have a "Best Team to Miss the Playoffs 2021" discussion!
Pandora-Gilboa, in Division 7 Region 26, went 6-4. Their losses came to 4 teams who made the playoffs in Division 5, 6, and 7. Their records were 10-0, 5-5, 9-1, and 7-2. And realistically, they're probably better than 5 or 6 of the top 16 teams who did make it.

I'm sure they're have been plenty of times that over-scheduling has cost some teams the playoffs for sure; probably even some MAC teams; Would definitely need a refresher on specifics; I believe Mooney and Ursuline a couple of years ago over-scheduled big time and missed the playoffs.
2007 Parkway comes to mind. Led by Jordan Thompson at QB (future OU and Detroit Lion) with losses to Coldwater and Marion Local (both state champs) and missed the playoffs. Could have made some noice in potentially if they would have made it.

On another thread it came up that Coldwater's two OOC games gave them .3 points. I don't think the MAC has a problem with not getting in. If anything it might bring up MAC rematches and you can throw out the regular season matchup.

2019, 8-2/MAC Champ/DVII State Champ Marion Local would have missed the playoffs along with 10-0 Gibsonburg in R23 if they hadn't moved down a division earlier that year. They even beat the D6 state champ Anna the same year. Luckily their enrollment took a dip I guess.

Everyone in that region was 9-1 except Coldwater at 8-2. Multiple 7-3/6-4 teams missed in that region.

A lot of undefeated teams missed the playoffs until the expansion to eight per region. Especially in the early decades of the playoffs quite a few legit state title contenders failed to make the playoffs.
I guess the moral of the story for folks bent out of shape by 16 teams is things are a lot better than they used to be. If I remember correctly in the 80's you also got extra points for margin of victory. Lots of 4 quarter merciless butt kickings were handed out just to extend playoff points.

I guess the moral of the story for folks bent out of shape by 16 teams is things are a lot better than they used to be. If I remember correctly in the 80's you also got extra points for margin of victory. Lots of 4 quarter merciless butt kickings were handed out just to extend playoff points.
Did not know that.

1986 Cols. St Francis DeSales : Became 1st Team in Ohio FB History to go 14-0 in 1985 on their way to a State Title.
In 1986 they went 10-0 and missed the Playoffs no defending their title . They were in the mist of a 32 game Winning streak at that point that wouldn't end until game 9 of the 1987 Season. They were 33-2 over those 3 Seasons and they weren't playing cupcakes.

None! Can’t make it in 16 Team Playoffs, that School and the word best can never be used in the same sentence!

Reactions: y2h
2019, 8-2/MAC Champ/DVII State Champ Marion Local would have missed the playoffs along with 10-0 Gibsonburg in R23 if they hadn't moved down a division earlier that year. They even beat the D6 state champ Anna the same year. Luckily their enrollment took a dip I guess.

Everyone in that region was 9-1 except Coldwater at 8-2. Multiple 7-3/6-4 teams missed in that region.
Damn! They beat my Cubs in the state title game. Ugh. Could have been Lucas vs Fort Loramie that year instead.

1986 Cols. St Francis DeSales : Became 1st Team in Ohio FB History to go 14-0 in 1985 on their way to a State Title.
In 1986 they went 10-0 and missed the Playoffs no defending their title . They were in the mist of a 32 game Winning streak at that point that wouldn't end until game 9 of the 1987 Season. They were 33-2 over those 3 Seasons and they weren't playing cupcakes.
Didn't Alter snap their 32 game win streak?

I believe it was 1993, 94 or 95, the Elyria West Wolverines were 10-0 and loaded with talent, but missed the D3 playoffs. The coach was Darrell Mayne, who coached Upper Arlington to the 2000 D1 state championship.

That region was stacked, but also set up stupidly. If they would have just left the normal R22 alone instead of moving the NW corner plus the northern R24 into R23 none of it happens. For comparisons sake, the 6 seeds in both R22 and R24 would have been 12th in 23 that year. Gibsonburg qualifies in literally every other region in D6 that year.

Elyria West went 10-0 in 1994 but played smaller schools and didn't get much help from Midview. The same happened to Aurora the year before after winning the poll championship in IV.

The best team to miss the playoffs is the 1971 Troy Trojans. A year before playoffs started. The best team in Troy and Miami Valley history. They would have rolled anyone in the state. And I mean anyone. That is my pick.

Elyria West went 10-0 in 1994 but played smaller schools and didn't get much help from Midview. The same happened to Aurora the year before after winning the poll championship in IV.
Yes. Finished 5th when four per region made it. They were stacked with talent. They could have gone a few rounds.

2019 D6 was no joke at all. Region 23 might be the toughest to play through, but record wise went to Region 21. 4 undefeated teams, two 9-1 team, and two 8-2 teams. D6 was a gauntlet that year, it always is though.

Edit: I didn't remember Region 23 having everyone at 9-1, and Coldwater at 8-2. I think 23, and 21 were brutal to go through for anyone.

Last edited:
The 1972 Hannibal River Pilots were the only undefeated in their region. There were three classes, and they were AA. They were denied a playoff spot due to OHSAA miscalculating their points. The regions had about 60 teams each at the time. Only one team got in per region.

The 1985 Saint Clairsville Red Devils were undefeated. The 1985 Buckeye North football team was also undefeated--that school was eventually consolidated into Buckeye Local.

The 1994 Martins Ferry Purple Riders finished 7-2, playing in D4. They lost in overtime to Rayland Buckeye Local--they would go to the D2 finals before losing. They also lost to Steubenville Catholic Central, who was coming off a state title the year before.

The 1995 Wellsville Tigers finished 9-1. Their only loss was to Lisbon David Anderson, who would win a state title.

and for all years Anna not being in Div 5 that year.... Minster might have had their best team ever that year( they beat the Flyers that year in a hellva game)..... i really think that the MAC would have won DIV 5,6,and 7 that year , if the rockets would have been in 5 , like they usually are....