Division 1 possible expansion

fleadog101

Was talking the other day to an OHSAA commissioner who just so happened to be in a restaurant with us. we were talking about the situation in region 1 with online team with 1 win does not seem fair to every one else. They possibly will expand the amount of Schools by 5% per region to give a better balance.
if you are from Perry or Hoover you could be going back to Division 1 Next year. This also will have a ripple effect on other Divisions as well.

Was talking the other day to an OHSAA commissioner who just so happened to be in a restaurant with us. we were talking about the situation in region 1 with online team with 1 win does not seem fair to every one else. They possibly will expand the amount of Schools by 5% per region to give a better balance.
if you are from Perry or Hoover you could be going back to Division 1 Next year. This also will have a ripple effect on other Divisions as well.
Since there are only supposed to be 18 teams per region, 5% would only be one more school per region. I would like to see them go to 20 teams per region and that would leave 4 teams out of the playoffs in each division 1 region. Might still have some weak teams making the playoffs but it should prevent a winless team from making the playoffs.

Since there are only supposed to be 18 teams per region, 5% would only be one more school per region. I would like to see them go to 20 teams per region and that would leave 4 teams out of the playoffs in each division 1 region. Might still have some weak teams making the playoffs but it should prevent a winless team from making the playoffs.
That would be better as well

17, 18, 19, and 17

That's how many teams were in each Division I region this year. You either have to have more Division I teams or reduce the amount of teams that make the playoffs in Division I. 8 per region and end a week early? 12 and give the top four a bye? 12 and give the top four the OPTION to take a bye?

But everyone has to"experience" the playoffs. ?

Go back to 6 divisions and you'll have d1's complaining.
There is no winning. D1 should be 2 regions. Everyone else 4 regions. Yes, there will be travel in weeks 1-2 of the playoffs, but most of these schools are in large cities anyway. It's not like they are all in the extreme parts of the state. Split it North and South by number of schools.

D1 needs to cut down to 14 teams making playoffs. Give the #1 and #2 seeds a bye. The rest of the divisions I'm not a big fan of 16 teams making it, but I can live with it.

Division 1 needs to cut down though.

D1 needs to cut down to 14 teams making playoffs. Give the #1 and #2 seeds a bye. The rest of the divisions I'm not a big fan of 16 teams making it, but I can live with it.

Division 1 needs to cut down though.
8. Let the other divisions play by those stupid rules. D1 needs to make it an accomplishment to make the playoffs

Go back to poll voting as a measure for a title. In this way, Mass. can be #1.
I mentioned something about this ( could have been a day ago could have been 3-4 years ) Didn't Massillon volunteer to play D1 when they should have been D2 a long time ago? I thought that they were forced to play D2 with the realignment years ago. I could most definitely see them along with Hoban and LaSalle hang in D1.

Dude in all seriousness!!! Don't you think that Schtick gets old. There isn't a school in the state that wouldn't want the tradition and accomplishments that Massillon preserves. For real!!! Get a grip...
The point is Massillon never deserved all that "tradition" and "accomplishment" in the first place. There was a lot of other very good football being played in the state during the same time period. But I guess if it was never viewed or voted on by the media, it never happened. Why would any school that has actually won a state title trade places for a bunch of biased poll titles?

The point is Massillon never deserved all that "tradition" and "accomplishment" in the first place. There was a lot of other very good football being played in the state during the same time period. But I guess if it was never viewed or voted on by the media, it never happened. Why would any school that has actually won a state title trade places for a bunch of biased poll titles?
Have to say your wrong.. Not throwing stones your way but if you honestly believe that you don't know the history and tradition of high school football around the USA. I don't care where you go in the country if you have a Massillon shirt on you will have multiple people ask you if you went to school there. You mention Massillon to people like Jim Tressel, Mack Brown and Nick Saban, the list goes on and on..they will engage in long conversations about Massillon. So no, you are very very wrong.

Dude in all seriousness!!! Don't you think that Schtick gets old. There isn't a school in the state that wouldn't want the tradition and accomplishments that Massillon preserves. For real!!! Get a grip...
At JOES, we are not envious of any school. We have playoff CHAMPIONSHIPS in multiple sports. Mass. has NEVER WON ANYTHING. You are one of those Mass. sheep that goes BAH BAH when you are getting romanced.

At JOES, we are not envious of any school. We have playoff CHAMPIONSHIPS in multiple sports. Mass. has NEVER WON ANYTHING. You are one of those Mass. sheep that goes BAH BAH when you are getting romanced.
Sorry not a Massillon guy, just respect what they are about. At least when you say Massillon, EVERYONE, knows who you are talking about. When you say JOES? No idea who you are. See the difference.. I think you get it....Not sure if that is envy or just your folks way of showing tremendous silent respect..

So, you deny Massillon’s tradition. That is crazy. Evidently, the 917 wins in high school football history, the most in Ohio, doesn’t exist. Just another hater.

The years that poll titles were given to Massillon or any other team, please name specific years and teams that you think were better and should us their record that year with scores and teams played!
There may be a few, but your ASSumption that no team including Massillon did not deserve to be named a champion is absurd!
Early 60's maybe thru66, Kent Roosevelt had great teams, players to OSU and the Pros, don't think they ever were #1 during that stretch as an example.
REcord Courier news paper:
One of Portage County’s greatest high school football teams ever assembled will find itself under the Fright Night Lights one more time tonight.

The 1966 Kent Roosevelt High School football team will be celebrated at the Rough Riders’ home matchup with Barberton, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the team’s famed season.

The ’66 Riders finished the season with an undefeated record and topped arch-rival Ravenna 20-3.

The team, coached by the revered Tom Campana, was littered with talent that remains quite unprecedented to this day for area teams.

Tom Campana Jr. was named a High School All-American, while also being selected All-Ohio alongside teammate Stan White.

Four of the team’s players went on to become college All-Americans: Mike Adamle, Tom DeLeone, Stan White and Joe Paloini. Adamle also became the Big Ten Player of the Year at Northwestern, then went on to play professional football -- as did DeLeone, White and Campana, all three of whom starred at Ohio State.

DeLeone, who died this summer, was also a Pro Bowl player in the NFL and is a member of the Cleveland Browns’ Ring of Honor.

Campana played in the Canadian Football League and was the Rookie of the Year runner-up after the final voting was submitted.

Overall, 11 different players from the 1966 Kent Roosevelt football team went on to play Division I college football.

Last edited: