2021 Inaugural Season: Three Rivers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raise your hand if you saw Northridge fighting for the league championship. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Everyone had them in the top 4. We just did not know how it would break out apart from MU.

TC always plays Northridge well. Hopefully the 2nd half against M.E. gets TC back on track a bit.

Everyone had them in the top 4. We just did not know how it would break out apart from MU.

TC always plays Northridge well. Hopefully the 2nd half against M.E. gets TC back on track a bit.
I could go back to the beginning of the thread to rehash it all, but no one anticipated Northridge competing this well. By saying Top 4, its leaving out the fact they were cast in that group as a much lesser team to MU, TC, and Riverside. They were more lumped in the middle of the pack compared to Top 4. Heck, most of us still thought Covington was going to compete for the league back then.

I could go back to the beginning of the thread to rehash it all, but no one anticipated Northridge competing this well. By saying Top 4, its leaving out the fact they were cast in that group as a much lesser team to MU, TC, and Riverside. They were more lumped in the middle of the pack compared to Top 4. Heck, most of us still thought Covington was going to compete for the league back then.
Going on history, The ridge hasnt been competitive at all. So, those feelings were founded. This is a different animal in northridge than the past. They are thin at every position so not getting beat up playing Carlisle, Waynesville, Brookville, etc helps them later in the year. Milton is a different animal with Neumeier in the backfield. Very explosive and talented.
The defense is going for another shutout as they should vs talent this level. To compete in D4, they need to blow out the Bethels, Miami Easts, etc.
Next two weeks will tell a lot about this Milton team.

I thought we talked about them having great potential. Maybe not.

I saw them live the last three years. Always thought they were a few big guys away from being a real problem for teams.

I thought we talked about them having great potential. Maybe not.

I saw them live the last three years. Always thought they were a few big guys away from being a real problem for teams.
Problem is they have been like that for many years. Always talented. I think it's coaching and the lack of home life for many. Parental involvement has been lacking.

I haven't looked back, but I remember predicting MU winning the league, and Covington being in 2nd place. I was dead wrong on that one. They are having their worst season in 30 years, and it's hard for me to even imagine them struggling this bad.

I haven't looked back, but I remember predicting MU winning the league, and Covington being in 2nd place. I was dead wrong on that one. They are having their worst season in 30 years, and it's hard for me to even imagine them struggling this bad.
Same here. I know I felt like it was MU and Covington up top, with TC and Riverside in the mix. Then I would've had Miami East and Northridge. I was in the same boat.

My tiers would look a little different, at least for 2021.

1- MU/Covington - these 2 should go in with expectations of making the playoffs. I think the winner of this game is league champ this year.

2- Riverside/Miami East - these 2 should be hopeful for a strong year and a playoff spot.
Did East have a one-year blip?
Can Riverside duplicate their success against bigger (better?) competition? (last 2 seasons, 16 of 20 games were against d7 schools. They will have more games this year in league against bigger schools (5) than they had in the last 2 years combined (4). MU and 'Ridge are d4, Bethel is 5, Cov and ME are 6.
The difference between "hopeful" and "expectant" might be small, and I wouldn't be entirely shocked if one of these schools won the league.

3- Lehman/TC/Bethel/Northridge - Need things to fall right to make the playoffs.
TC beat Northridge last year 21-14, I'm not putting them a tier above yet. I love their coaching though, so maybe they can do it. The Miami East and Riverside games will be huge for them.
I hate Bethel's OOC schedule, so I don't think they have put themselves in a good spot for the playoffs. If they win those though, they jump to the front of the line.
Northridge has a scheduling problem too, I missed it before but in years when they can beat Oakwood and Carlisle, the rest of the SWBL is going to beat up on those schools and they'll be worth very little. Maybe Dixie can get them points in the WOAC?
Lehman hasn't shown much recently, but 2 of their wins last year were over Ridgemont and Ridgedale...so Northridge should be worried :LOL:
My post from Feb 8.
I can't claim I saw Ridge competing for the first TRC title!

No one ever picks the Ridge to compete. They have been a basketball school for quite some time. I do remember back in the mid-80s they had a couple of decent teams but after that they fell back to bottom-dweller. I have always thought that Northridge had talent like no other teams in this area for their size.
Speed, athleticism and raw talent. It has been the mid 70's since they last beat MU. If they would've played in the mid 80s I think that streak would have ended. The MU teams back then after the 83 season, were not world beaters. There was quite a talent gap between the 80-83 seasons and then 85-89.
That would have been the years for Northridge to beat us. Then again in the mid 90s when MU finished 0-10 in 1994.

Northridge is going to benefit more than anyone from this new league. They will win 5+ games most years and get into the playoffs. The question is if they can take the next step and get to 8+ wins consistently.

Northridge is going to benefit more than anyone from this new league. They will win 5+ games most years and get into the playoffs. The question is if they can take the next step and get to 8+ wins consistently.
With the lack of taking the physical and mental beating in the SWBL, they might move up. I think of anyone that will benefit, it will be Milton. I expect them to drop to division 5 soon and they likely win at least 7-8 games a year. That's a program builder. They haven't been hitting that many wins per year since the 70s in the old SWBL.
I looked over the records and from 1970-1979, (thanks Doc Ginn) Milton was 72-27-1. 2 undefeated seasons and 6 league titles. Comparing from 1980 to 1999 they had a record of 95-105 with 1 undefeated season and 2 league titles, both happening in 1981-1982. I think Northridge maybe won 1 title in it's whole history. But never an SWBL title.
I think Milton starts having success like Covington did in the CCC. I'm not sure who else will rise to the top. Covington still be back soon, Miami East, Troy Christian and Riverside will always be tough.

My post from Feb 8.
I can't claim I saw Ridge competing for the first TRC title!
Fortunately for me I didnt post to this thread until May 5. Riverside has been the big surprise for me. They have competed well above the middle. Northridge- I recall seeing them play a few years back and they were just raw talent waiting for organization. Has that finally occurred?

With the lack of taking the physical and mental beating in the SWBL, they might move up. I think of anyone that will benefit, it will be Milton. I expect them to drop to division 5 soon and they likely win at least 7-8 games a year. That's a program builder. They haven't been hitting that many wins per year since the 70s in the old SWBL.
I looked over the records and from 1970-1979, (thanks Doc Ginn) Milton was 72-27-1. 2 undefeated seasons and 6 league titles. Comparing from 1980 to 1999 they had a record of 95-105 with 1 undefeated season and 2 league titles, both happening in 1981-1982. I think Northridge maybe won 1 title in it's whole history. But never an SWBL title.
I think Milton starts having success like Covington did in the CCC. I'm not sure who else will rise to the top. Covington still be back soon, Miami East, Troy Christian and Riverside will always be tough.
I agree, Milton is going to run this league for many years. Northridge is a team I think can thrive in this league. They are going to get into the playoffs year in and year which should help with numbers.

I agree, Milton is going to run this league for many years. Northridge is a team I think can thrive in this league. They are going to get into the playoffs year in and year which should help with numbers.
I'm not so certain on the first point.
MU has a great junior class. They will be good again next year. After that? I don't expect them to be bad, but I also don't expect them to run the league. Every school will have their run of good athletes, and I expect them to compete for the league those years.
We don't even know that MU is winning this year. They still have to play what looks like the 2 other top teams in the league. Northridge or Riverside could win this year.

Now, I don't expect the Bulldogs to finish at the bottom of the league either. That would be disappointing.

I'm not so certain on the first point.
MU has a great junior class. They will be good again next year. After that? I don't expect them to be bad, but I also don't expect them to run the league. Every school will have their run of good athletes, and I expect them to compete for the league those years.
We don't even know that MU is winning this year. They still have to play what looks like the 2 other top teams in the league. Northridge or Riverside could win this year.

Now, I don't expect the Bulldogs to finish at the bottom of the league either. That would be disappointing.
The point is that the competition isn't going to push Milton the way the SRC or the SWBL has. There will be weeks that they can lay back somewhat and recoup. The key will be getting the kids out and developing that talent at a younger age. Agreed with this junior class. Winning is contagious and with Football and, I believe, hoops the participation level will be much higher. That's always good for talent.
Setting the bar higher and giving the kids back that swagger that Milton used to have. Covington has it, Riverside as well.

Riverside.

just seem like the gap between 3 & 4 is huge.
Gotcha. Yeah. I am more impressed with riverside this year than last year.

You did not get the best TC when you smacked them. TC gave Northridge a much better game than riverside did. But River is clearly better than TC to your point. Could be a rematch in playoffs

It just happens that most of this league is down. It will happen in smaller schools.
Riverside and Northridge are left on Milton's schedule. Bethel will be better if most of those kids come back. Milton just had too much depth and speed and that's been the situation for most of these schools.
I think Bethel only had 25 kids out. I expect the Dogs to get pushed by Riverside and Northridge. It will be good for them. Oakwood was the last team to really push Milton and that was a game when we had many injuries. Valley View is the best team to date they've played.
Northridge hasn't played for a football championship....I think ever. Should be a good game at West Milton.

It just happens that most of this league is down. It will happen in smaller schools.
Riverside and Northridge are left on Milton's schedule. Bethel will be better if most of those kids come back. Milton just had too much depth and speed and that's been the situation for most of these schools.
I think Bethel only had 25 kids out. I expect the Dogs to get pushed by Riverside and Northridge. It will be good for them. Oakwood was the last team to really push Milton and that was a game when we had many injuries. Valley View is the best team to date they've played.
Northridge hasn't played for a football championship....I think ever. Should be a good game at West Milton.
It happens in smaller schools when you don’t have good programs. Cold water and Marion local do not have down years.

Agreed. Yak. Soccer hurt Milton when we first started it. 1983 was the first year for soccer and look at our records, they tanked. It's one of the reasons I heard that Magoteaux left. I'm not sure, but I don't think any MAC schools have varsity soccer.
Milton has come out of that because of a coach named Pearce, in my opinion.

League title or share of title is on the line. I expect a close game

Status
Not open for further replies.