Are you allows to bring food into a stadium?

arizonawildcat

Is it an OSHAA rule, or each school system has it own policy? From my experience I know that there flasks taken into the stadium.

Is it an OSHAA rule, or each school system has it own policy? From my experience I know that there flasks taken into the stadium.

With very few exceptions, I don't think a flask qualifies as "food". :D

When our sons were little, we didn't bring our own food to games. They were happy to get a popcorn and a drink, and it didn't kill our budget.

However, when we took them to a movie theater, let's just say my wife would be carrying her extra-large purse.

Last edited:
In Ohio, are stogies still pretty normal? Do they count as food?

In NC, don't remember any stogies. Though we have had a significant influx of damn yankeees. :censored:

Up to the schools. Was never an issue at my school until 1 of the team doctors had a bunch of pizzas delivered to the student section at one game. We also had some parents who would have pizzas delivered to them at the gate. The guy in charge of the concession stand got upset and had signs put up to deter people from bringing in outside food or drink. He was obviously mad about the loss of concession stand revenue.

The main reason I could see to ban outside drinks would be so that students wouldn't have such an easy time smuggling their spirits inside of a Gatorade bottle. The Dean of Students once busted a kid for precisely that. He smelled the contents of the bottle and then tasted a capful of it. It was so strong, he had to spit it out. Meanwhile, the kid was crying and trying to lay a guilt trip on the Dean by claiming the Dean was just looking to get the kid in trouble.

Saw a group of older guys at a state title game years ago bring a couple water bottles full of what I assumed was whiskey. Another guy brought some of those short clear plastic cups that are often used to serve punch, and they had something to enjoy while watching what was an otherwise boring game (their team won, but it wasn't too competitive).

Can't smoke in the stadium, but when I worked as a ticket-taker, we generally let adults step outside the gate to have a cigarette where we could see them and then let them re-enter. If a student exited the stadium, we were not to allow them back in for any reason.

We've had JH kids get busted in the past for smoking weed in the stadium.

From my experience coffee cups and thermos are rarely questioned. Same with large purses or bags. But anything obvious is not allowed.

Up to the schools. Was never an issue at my school until 1 of the team doctors had a bunch of pizzas delivered to the student section at one game. We also had some parents who would have pizzas delivered to them at the gate. The guy in charge of the concession stand got upset and had signs put up to deter people from bringing in outside food or drink. He was obviously mad about the loss of concession stand revenue.

The main reason I could see to ban outside drinks would be so that students wouldn't have such an easy time smuggling their spirits inside of a Gatorade bottle. The Dean of Students once busted a kid for precisely that. He smelled the contents of the bottle and then tasted a capful of it. It was so strong, he had to spit it out. Meanwhile, the kid was crying and trying to lay a guilt trip on the Dean by claiming the Dean was just looking to get the kid in trouble.

Saw a group of older guys at a state title game years ago bring a couple water bottles full of what I assumed was whiskey. Another guy brought some of those short clear plastic cups that are often used to serve punch, and they had something to enjoy while watching what was an otherwise boring game (their team won, but it wasn't too competitive).

Can't smoke in the stadium, but when I worked as a ticket-taker, we generally let adults step outside the gate to have a cigarette where we could see them and then let them re-enter. If a student exited the stadium, we were not to allow them back in for any reason.

We've had JH kids get busted in the past for smoking weed in the stadium.
pretty crappy to have pizza's delievered to the game..... did they have pizza in the concession stand?

Food, flasks, beer, cigs, weed... I have seen more at a HS football game than any NFL game.
I will never forget one of the state games in Canton.

We sat behind a group of guys who were McKinley coaches. They had brought in a case of beer to the game and drank it right there in the bleachers. Crazy!

pretty crappy to have pizza's delievered to the game..... did they have pizza in the concession stand?
Yeah, I think the same. I noticed it last year at basketball games where people were bringing in food. one family always had subway that they brought in the varsity games.

One way to combat folks bringing in food is to serve decent food at the concessions, most of these are run by some parent organization so they should know what the fans are looking for at a HS game. Pay attention to details like keeping pizza warm and the coffee hot, also figure out a signature item that folks like and you will be surprised how many people come to a game looking for that. Euclid is a great example, not a standout program or big fan base but I cannot go to a game there without getting a booster dog. Great service and getting fans through the line quickly helps too so if run well I leave the Boosters a tip at the stand for the effort and the kids.

I was at the Austintown Fitch Massillon game last weekend and I had two lemonades in my hand not open just bought and the lady stopped me thought it was beer and told me I couldn't bring it in but then she realized what it was ? smh...

I will never forget one of the state games in Canton.

We sat behind a group of guys who were McKinley coaches. They had brought in a case of beer to the game and drank it right there in the bleachers. Crazy!

Yeah, I think the same. I noticed it last year at basketball games where people were bringing in food. one family always had subway that they brought in the varsity games.
i bring a Power aid into football games.... because for some reason the concession likes to keep their drinks at room temperature.....

I bring in a water bottle and nothing said. To save money ,I eat at home before the home games as I have time to do that. For road games I eat at the stadium. The price of concessions has gone up quite a bit since 2019. Inflation all around us. Horrible.

Last edited:
I bring in a water bottle and nothing said. To save money ,I eat at home before the home games as I have time to do that. For road games I eat at the stadium. The price of concessions has gone up quite a bit since 2019. Inflation all around us. Horrible.
Eh.
I see buying food, drink and 50/50s at games as a de facto donation so yeah, it may cost a little more but I will still just support the local group.

I have a Family member who has been going to all different kinds of HS Sporting events for at least 50 years with a bottle of water,bag of peanuts, empty zip lock bag in a pocket to “clean up” after himself best he can. Far as I know nobody has ever said anything to him. The actual schools “policy” on Food I’m certain varies from District to District.

Eh.
I see buying food, drink and 50/50s at games as a de facto donation so yeah, it may cost a little more but I will still just support the local group.
My de facto donation is the $1.50 digital ticket surcharge that I wonder how is split........ 2019 game ticket 7 dollars ,2 hot dogs and a Power Aid 6 dollars for a total of 13 dollars. 2021 Game ticket 8.50. 2 hot dogs and a Power Aid 9 dollars for a total of $17.50. Still an excellent deal when compared to college or pro games but rising nonetheless.

Yes. In the team doc’s defense, maybe not enough pizza available at concession stand to feed the entire student section on that occasion.

Most signature items at our concession stand would be the hot chocolate (cuz it'll burn your tongue to a crisp if you buy it at kickoff and try to sip it before halftime) and the hot dog. They'd be doing themselves a favor to advertise that it's an all-beef hot dog when customers see the price - $2.50 last time I had one but maybe it's $3.00 now.

I love the places that bring in the kettle corn tent, but remember that a small bag of that stuff will go a long way.

Last edited:
My de facto donation is the $1.50 digital ticket surcharge that I wonder how is split........ 2019 game ticket 7 dollars ,2 hot dogs and a Power Aid 6 dollars for a total of 13 dollars. 2021 Game ticket 8.50. 2 hot dogs and a Power Aid 9 dollars for a total of $17.50. Still an excellent deal when compared to college or pro games but rising nonetheless.
No 50/50?
Plus those must be some expensive hot dogs and drink!

A person could miss an entire football game trying to get through our concession line and for bad food. Too many better options within blocks. Basketball lines go much faster.

One way to combat folks bringing in food is to serve decent food at the concessions, most of these are run by some parent organization so they should know what the fans are looking for at a HS game. Pay attention to details like keeping pizza warm and the coffee hot, also figure out a signature item that folks like and you will be surprised how many people come to a game looking for that. Euclid is a great example, not a standout program or big fan base but I cannot go to a game there without getting a booster dog. Great service and getting fans through the line quickly helps too so if run well I leave the Boosters a tip at the stand for the effort and the kids.
You're missing out if you don't get a dbl cheeseburger at Veterans Stadium.