Week 4: Elder(2-1) vs. St. Edward(3-0)

ElderHSfan02

Elder has the state #3 ranked team visiting Saturday at The PIT. I really don't know about this one. I think Elder can pull the upset, but Ed's must be very good this year. They just beat Mentor yesterday 47-7.

I know they're going to battle til the end but the OL is simply too small to win this game. Offense won't be able to move the ball like the PC game. I do think the defense will be up to the challenge but will wear down again because they'll be on the field too much.

St. Edward
Week 1: Ed's 33 Central Catholic 10
Week 2: Ed's 56 Rock Creek Christian 18
Week 3: Ed's 47 Mentor 7

Elder

Week 1: Elder 28 Covington Catholic 6
Week 2: Pickerington Central 28 Elder 10
Week 3: Elder 47 Beacon Hill 0

The Mentor score is misleading. Mentor’s starting QB got knocked out early and replaced with a Freshman. After that, Mentor was off the rails.

That said, Eds is still very good. The size on the Lines is going to be a problem, especially for the Elder OL. Elder needs to go up tempo, keep the Eds D off balance. Elder had a good Offensive gameplan vs PC. They tried to take advantage of PC’s aggressiveness with a lot of Screens & Draws. And it did work to an extent. Elder was able to move the ball during certain drives. Where it got tough for the Offense was in the Red Zone, with the field being compressed. That’s where not having a real power back and sturdy OL that can get a push hurts. The best option Elder has is to throw jump balls to Harp & Browne and let them use their height & athletic ability to make a play.

I know they're going to battle til the end but the OL is simply too small to win this game. Offense won't be able to move the ball like the PC game. I do think the defense will be up to the challenge but will wear down again because they'll be on the field too much.
I don’t think you’re wrong, but one big missing piece is Eds doesn’t have a Sonny Styles that can take Ramsey out of the game. That said, I think the Eds Offense is a lot better than PC’s. The QB for Eds is infinitely better than PC’s and while Eds skill players don’t have the elite speed they’ve had in the past, they have solid players who can make plays.

Ed’s by 10 and Pboy will have a meltdown over this one
Again, your obsession with me is creepy. I tend to think Eds wins, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if Elder pulled the upset. In years past, Eds speed, especially on Offense, has hurt Elder. They don’t have a Shaun Crawford or Jordan Castleberry. Don’t get me wrong, they do have very good skill players, but they’re more D3 than D1 college level players.

Getting back to Eds Defense. One thing I noticed, they blitzed a TON vs Mentor. And it wasn’t just a basic MLB blitz up the A Gap, they were throwing some “exotic” blitzes out there with their Secondary and this was even before the Mentor starting QB was hurt.

If Elder goes up tempo, that gives Eds less of a chance to pin their ears back and attack in the same way PC did. Of course, the ability to go up tempo is going to be dictated in part, by the situation within the game. Id like to see Elder start out fast, and hopefully be able to dictate the pace of the game.

The Eds QB is very good. Again, not a D1 Elite 11 type of QB, but extremely athletic, with good speed, who can throw on the run and also throws a beautiful deep ball.

Elder needs to keep him in the pocket. Like Eds, I think they need to throw in some more complex blitzes to put pressure on him bc the Eds OL is going to be able to keep Elder from getting any pressure just by rushing 3-4 defenders.

I agree with what seems to be the going thought on this one - kind of like the PC game. Elder has the ability to put itself in a position to win this game, but ultimately Ed’s will wear them down.

But just like the PC game, I think there will be chances to make plays to turn the tide and get the W.

Ed’s - 31
E - 22

Again, your obsession with me is creepy. I tend to think Eds wins, but I also wouldn’t be shocked if Elder pulled the upset. In years past, Eds speed, especially on Offense, has hurt Elder. They don’t have a Shaun Crawford or Jordan Castleberry. Don’t get me wrong, they do have very good skill players, but they’re more D3 than D1 college level players.
I have know obsession but telling you that you are sh it talking wuss. Which is the truth! Your obsession with Teenages boys I find extremely creepy??‍♂️

Elder a clear favorite
Are you being facetious? Eds is clearly the favorite. They just curb stomped Mentor and even when Mentor’s starting QB was playing, they held the lead. The point is, if Elder does pull the upset, it wouldn’t be super surprising. And it wouldn’t be surprising if Eds won comfortably.

Big harbin points up for grabs this game and the next 4 weeks vs. Ed's, Lou. X, Cin. X, and Moe. Going 3-1 would put them in driver seat for top 4 seed and home games in playoffs. 2-2 more reasonable and would put them in position well for home game in playoffs.

Cleveland.com D1 State Rankings

1. St. Xavier (3-0)
2. St. Edward (3-0)
3. Springfield (2-0)
4. Pickerington Central (3-0)
5. Lakota West (2-1)
6. Medina (3-0)
7. Princeton (3-0)
8. Marysville (2-0)
9. Elder (2-1)
10. Stow (3-0)

The last 3-4 games down here in this series have all come down to the 4th Qtr, last couple possessions. I see this one being no different. Elder's defense has been surprising thus far, but this will be their biggest test yet. Ed's will test them by spreading it out more than PC did. Offensively, they've always been able to grind out drives and score points, especially in games down here. 3rd downs will be huge. If they can sustain drives and limit the 3 and outs, I think they've got a strong chance to win the game.

The last 3-4 games down here in this series have all come down to the 4th Qtr, last couple possessions. I see this one being no different. Elder's defense has been surprising thus far, but this will be their biggest test yet. Ed's will test them by spreading it out more than PC did. Offensively, they've always been able to grind out drives and score points, especially in games down here. 3rd downs will be huge. If they can sustain drives and limit the 3 and outs, I think they've got a strong chance to win the game.
What does Elder do to counteract the massive size disparities in the trenches? And that’s a serious question. Do you blitz an extra guy?

Last edited:
Second favorite game of the year. Love this annual meeting and knowledgeable Elder fans and enthusiasm they bring to the board. I forgot you guys tend to post here.

One thing to know. Ed’s has a sophomore OL that is starting to draw comparisons to Alex Boone after his fist start. He pancaked Vernon from Mentor and drew an unsportsmanlike like penalty to boot on Vernon. This change has vastly strengthened Ed’s O line.

Can anyone post the results from the season series? I feel like their have been some battles in the past with close games.

Can anyone post the results from the season series? I feel like their have been some battles in the past with close games.

Facing St. Ed's at home
1996 Won 23-7
2005 Lost 34-17
2008 Won 52-31
2010 Lost 20-3 (Ed's won state)
2012 Lost 42-28
2014 Won 21-14 (Ed's won state)
2016 Won 15-9
2018 Lost 36-30 (Ed's won state)

Facing St. Ed's on the road
1997 Won 35-28 3OT at Lakewood
2007 lost 10-7
2009 Won 38-14 at Lakewood
2011 lost 30-10 at Fairview
2013 lost 48-7 at John Carroll
2015 lost 31-20 at Baldwin-Wallace (Ed's won state)
2017 lost 40-7 at Bedford HS
2019 lost 42-25 at Highland's North Gateway Tire Field

State Championship Game
2003 Elder 31 St. Edward 7

Last edited:
Elder won 35-28 in 3OT in '97. That was the infamous game where Elder had more fans at the game in Lakewood than St. Edward did because so many Clevelanders stayed home to watch the Indians in game 6 of the World Series.

Attachments

• October_26,_1997_(Page_45_of_7.pdf
    530.9 KB · Views: 29