How are politics affecting HS sports?

thisisinsane

I thought I’d post this to get some of the politicking going on in the Football forum.

The McKinley thread has turned into a bit of a political argument. Many McK fans are upset with the team kneeling during parts/all of the National Anthem.

How are politics affecting HS sports? Are any other teams across the state experiencing similar issues? I know these kids are being pulled a hundred different ways ideologically. Adults, both parents and school employees, are using kids to push an agenda. This goes both ways. I believe I saw something about a 9 year old speaking at a BOE meeting against masking? That’s crazy to me. Where are the adults?

The McK fan base is typically a bit older, and according to reports from McK fans, they don’t want to support the political stuff with their money. I know attendance is down at many places, and that can be attributed to many factors.

We had many debates during the Olympics about pride and representing the team you play for honorably. How many HS teams across this state are struggling that have embraced kneeling, activism, etc.? I think it’s an interesting topic.

Well since I'm a McKinley fan and one of those old white men the liberal media brand as a racist I'll chime in. I had no issue with what the team did and like I said before I have genuflected longer in church then the team took a knee. IMO the drop in attendance started back with Johnson was the head coach and when the "bit older" white fan base seen how Johnson was treated from the so called barbershop gang put together with the changes that have occurred with the changing of the stadium and surrounding area alot of people took the opportunity from all of that to move on. It will be interesting to see the reaction of the crowd say at Jackson, North Canton, Lake and next year at Massillon if they continue to take a knee.

Soon as I read the title I thought this was all about Covid and people reacting out of fear to it.

In the southwest region of the state I think there are more patriotic enthusiasts who stand strong against team kneelings relative to the national anthem.

Certainly can not charge a teenage young man with same condemnation for kneeling as a Kapernick age adult.

Soon as I read the title I thought this was all about Covid and people reacting out of fear to it.

In the southwest region of the state I think there are more patriotic enthusiasts who stand strong against team kneelings relative to the national anthem.

Certainly can not charge a teenage young man with same condemnation for kneeling as a Kapernick age adult.
Honestly, these kids need to have a sit down with a refugee and see how fortunate they are to be here. I know we have our problems but not nearly as bad as most other countries.

Ok, we live in a democracy that preaches freedom, liberty, and justice for all. A lot of people don’t believe our country protects that for African Americans. Taking a knee is a form of freedom of speech utilized to protest this belief. It is obviously a non violent symbolic protest. When it comes to race in America we could have, should have done better. We lived in a country where racism was legal from the early 17th century until the 1970’s, over 350 years. The ill feeling created by our history is not going to go away overnight, especially without everyone really working at it. Many believe it is healthy to protest obvious injustices nonviolently.

Ok, we live in a democracy that preaches freedom, liberty, and justice for all. A lot of people don’t believe our country protects that for African Americans. Taking a knee is a form of freedom of speech utilized to protest this belief. It is obviously a non violent symbolic protest. When it comes to race in America we could have, should have done better. We lived in a country where racism was legal from the early 17th century until the 1970’s, over 350 years. The ill feeling created by our history is not going to go away overnight, especially without everyone really working at it. Many believe it is healthy to protest obvious injustices nonviolently.
When are you “Psaki-ing back” to the topic? We know you’re a bleeding heart liberal. How is all the political stuff affecting HS sports?

You don't see kneeling in a non violent protest as creating poor race relations on the part of how whites view blacks?

Speaking just on a personal level, I find kneeling during our anthem to be a serious and offensive statement. As an employer I will go out of my way to help any individual who earnestly wants to make a better life but needs opportunity or education to accomplish that goal. I will not help those who are bitter against the past and believe I owe them an opportunity.

Would it not be better for all involved if we as a nation turned the page on past wrongs rather than continuing to make a public statement in front of people about how bad our country was in the past? Most every person alive today had little to nothing to do with the past prior to 1970, but we all can attempt to positively move forward.

When such outward statements reach high school sports, I will not support those teams that express themselves in such a non verbal manner.

You don't see kneeling in a non violent protest as creating poor race relations on the part of how whites view blacks?

Speaking just on a personal level, I find kneeling during our anthem to be a serious and offensive statement. As an employer I will go out of my way to help any individual who earnestly wants to make a better life but needs opportunity or education to accomplish that goal. I will not help those who are bitter against the past and believe I owe them an opportunity.

Would it not be better for all involved if we as a nation turned the page on past wrongs rather than continuing to make a public statement in front of people about how bad our country was in the past? Most every person alive today had little to nothing to do with the past prior to 1970, but we all can attempt to positively move forward.

When such outward statements reach high school sports, I will not support those teams that express themselves in such a non verbal manner.
Very well stated, possibly the best I’ve heard it surmised. Your 3rd paragraph I think is the key. Many Americans have nothing to do with the “wrongs of our past”, yet are told they are responsible.

I stated a couple years ago that this would definitely seep into HS sports more heavily at some point. It did a little at the beginning when Krapernick first made his courageous statement, but the mentality has really creeped in to HS sports now. Perception is reality, and the reality is that, for one reason or another, it is definitely a racial thing. It kind of goes along with what the argument was about the Olympics and Women’s soccer. Our football coach always taught us that anything can be a distraction from the TEAM goal. Allowing these kids to kneel and put a target for animosity from adults is wrong imo. And you can say “adults shouldn’t have animosity towards kids over that stuff”. I tend to agree, however, I feel the animosity is directed at the ideology and it being weaponized, not necessarily at the kids. So, many McK fans have stated they aren’t going to spend their money on supporting that as an institution/team. Trust me, McK cannot afford to lose fans, players, coaches, games; the program is in shambles and needs no more distractions!

McK can’t be the only team experiencing this political effect? Whether it’s Covid or BLM, politics are affecting our HS athletics.

I know, I just heard that African Americans aren’t even allowed to vote. Don Lemon told me that.

The ridiculous quarantines which appear to be more supported by the Wokes on the Left are causing game cancellations. It really is out of control.
So, you have no idea who is making the policies and enforcing decisions? Could be right wingers. Could just be people trying their best to do what is in the best interest of kids and families.

My dad was a navy man. We flew the American flag at the house. He was the leader and speaker at the Memorial day parade for years. Very Liberal. Before he passed, he commented to me how funny it was that all those years of flying the flag out of pride, he didn't convinced many others to fly it by his example. Colin Kaepernick takes a knee and all of a sudden, people want to fly that flag. Out of hate and spite. Not out of the pride that my dad had.

So, you have no idea who is making the policies and enforcing decisions? Could be right wingers. Could just be people trying their best to do what is in the best interest of kids and families.

My dad was a navy man. We flew the American flag at the house. He was the leader and speaker at the Memorial day parade for years. Very Liberal. Before he passed, he commented to me how funny it was that all those years of flying the flag out of pride, he didn't convinced many others to fly it by his example. Colin Kaepernick takes a knee and all of a sudden, people want to fly that flag. Out of hate and spite. Not out of the pride that my dad had.
I appreciate your Dad’s service. Not sure if your age, or where about you reside/grew up, but I’ve always seen American Flags, well before it would be out of “spite” against yh he current movement. Sure, are there some hillbillies that turn it into a racial/spite thing? Yes. Same as Libs turned it into a “racial” thing, remember, it takes two to tango.
I saw American Flags in my area well before this current movement, American pride saw a huge uptick after 9/11. Sorry you see everything in black/white.

Kapernick taking a knee may have been more of a wakeup call to protect the symbols we hold dear. In our neighborhood a neighbor a couple doors down who was a veteran had a very nice poll and lights installed to make a dramatic scene of the flag flying from on top of a high hill.

After he died his daughter raised her family there and continued with her dad's tradition of displaying Old Glory. After Kapernick and the social statement he made, she took the flag down.

We missed it, so we built a similar area, found some old steel poll and painted it, made up a truck system and put an eagle at the top, lights all around and then hoisted the flag. The neighbor took offense as she thought we were simply being contrary to her desire to no longer fly the flag. I assured her I did it because I missed her flying her flag, and with a son in the military, I choose to honor his decision with a reminder of why he has to sacrifice time away from family.

I suspect many who were patriotic but not actively engaged in demonstrating their beliefs were moved strongly enough following Kapernick to raise their own flag out of "pride" and not spite. Of course, those who don't want to see Old Glory raised and publicly state as much will see any pro flag statement as spiteful in nature.

MLK and the civil rights movement took care of the legal.
MLK said content of character not skin color.
Now we are back to skin color not character.. White skin = racist oppressor. Black skin = oppressed.
Go kneel in church.

Wake up referees! Send you contracts back with a footnote. Players have a right to protest and you have a right to defer from political statements. "Kneeling for Anthem by participating members will make this contract void" Make the game woke, go find referees.

What if a white guy kneeled? Does that cause poor race relations among whites?

You just said the part you were supposed to keep quiet out load? Your issue is not with the kneeling, you just don’t respect or acknowledge what they are protesting. My guess is that if a white kid took a knee to protest the loss of his veteran Dad in a war he did not believe in, you would not be posting about that on Yappi.

Of course you will never admit that but it is already written all over your post.

You just said the part you were supposed to keep quiet out load? Your issue is not with the kneeling, you just don’t respect or acknowledge what they are protesting. My guess is that if a white kid took a knee to protest the loss of his veteran Dad in a war he did not believe in, you would not be posting about that on Yappi.

Of course you will never admit that but it is already written all over your post.
You realize that Kap is mostly white, right?

You realize that Kap is mostly white, right?
First, I’m not talking about Kap. Never brought him up. This was about high school kids. That said, why would Kap or any other person kneeling impact race relations if this was really about the kneeling? I don’t care if they are black, half black, or white. His post makes it clear that while he claims it‘s about kneeling, what he really is pissed about is why they are doing it. If it was not about that, race relations would never be part of the conversation.

Doesn’t matter. If the white guy is kneeling I hold him/her to the same moral standards. It’s the ideology the kneeling stands for. No, kids shouldn’t be subjected to any of it, regardless of skin color. The rules should be set forth by the Athletic Department. I know my team was never out for the National Anthem. That’s fine, keep it that way and you avoid this ?storm of politics.

How did McK used to do it? Were they typically in the locker room in years past for the Anthem? If so, why are they out there now? They have to be given an opportunity to protest?

Doesn’t matter. If the white guy is kneeling I hold him/her to the same moral standards. It’s the ideology the kneeling stands for. No, kids shouldn’t be subjected to any of it, regardless of skin color. The rules should be set forth by the Athletic Department. I know my team was never out for the National Anthem. That’s fine, keep it that way and you avoid this ?storm of politics.

How did McK used to do it? Were they typically in the locker room in years past for the Anthem? If so, why are they out there now? They have to be given an opportunity to protest?
So you agree that the white guy or black guy who kneels does not hurt race relations? Perfect.

Way back when McKinley came out of the locker room after the National Athem as I believe most did. Something tells me it was after 9/11 that all changed.

So you agree that the white guy or black guy who kneels does not hurt race relations? Perfect.
Not what I said, nice try. Read, “left to right, top to bottom, group words together to form sentences.” - David Spade (from Tommy Boy)

Not what I said, nice try. Read, “left to right, top to bottom, group words together to form sentences.” - David Spade (from Tommy Boy)
You said it does not matter if they are black or white. If they are one in the same then they both can hurt race relations or they can’t.

I said this a couple years ago when all this started.

Go to a game where one of the participating teams has a high Mennonite population. Take a quick glance at the crowd during the anthem. Chances are you will see at least one family sitting in their seats. They will otherwise be respectful...they won't be carrying on a conversation or otherwise calling attention to themselves. But, they won't be standing; they won't be facing the flag; they won't have their hands on their hearts; they won't be singing. They do this because they see this ritual as a form of idol worship and they refuse to participate in it.

So, if you disagree with the kneeler, I ask you: Do you support this family's right to sit?

You asked if I agreed “that it does NOT” hurt relations. I believe it does, and stated as such. Again, “left to right, top to bottom, group words together to form sentences”. I know Libs aren’t about enforcing reading standards because it’s a racist concept, but it may help you out to learn.

You asked if I agreed “that it does NOT” hurt relations. I believe it does, and stated as such. Again, “left to right, top to bottom, group words together to form sentences”. I know Libs aren’t about enforcing reading standards because it’s a racist concept, but it may help you out to learn.
‘Doesn’t matter. If the white guy is kneeling I hold him/her to the same moral standards’

You said it does not matter if they are black or white. So white guys kneeling hurt race relations? How so?

First I’m white , in my 70s and had a father who flew bombers in WWII, was shot down ,had members of his crew killed and spent time in a POW camp. He is rolling over in his grave. Today’s Rs/conservatives are off the charts. Looking to pick a fight everywhere. Many in here identify as those who stormed the Capital back in January - have mental issues, are pariahs in their own communities, have failures in their lives that they blame on others and are at best Neanderthals dying out as they never grew with the developing society. Outraged that a black man got elected Prez. Upset that black people still protest the continuing racism practiced against them. Nationalism in all its ugly ,disgusting ways. But wanting to profess their “grievances” as the dominate pampered segment of society that doesn’t want to “get along”.

I said this a couple years ago when all this started.

Go to a game where one of the participating teams has a high Mennonite population. Take a quick glance at the crowd during the anthem. Chances are you will see at least one family sitting in their seats. They will otherwise be respectful...they won't be carrying on a conversation or otherwise calling attention to themselves. But, they won't be standing; they won't be facing the flag; they won't have their hands on their hearts; they won't be singing. They do this because they see this ritual as a form of idol worship and they refuse to participate in it.

So, if you disagree with the kneeler, I ask you: Do you support this family's right to sit?
Not really. The servicemen that I feel the Anthem honors will be the same servicemen protecting their (this Mennonite family) AMERICAN arses. So, yes, I have a problem with that too. If you are making your way in, in a bathroom line or otherwise moving about, I typically don’t care too much. If you are seated and waiting for the game,I expect your AMERICAN citizen arse to stand.

Aren’t Mennonites exempt from military service in the event of a Draft? Definitely something I don’t agree with if so.

‘Doesn’t matter. If the white guy is kneeling I hold him/her to the same moral standards’

You said it does not matter if they are black or white. So white guys kneeling hurt race relations? How so?
Because the ideology behind the kneeling supports racial division, remember Krap kneeled in protest of racial injustice.