The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Can anyone explain why Lorenzen was the guy warming up in the 6th inning of a 4-1 game? Mahle had his pitch count up, but Lorenzen has been the late inning guy / closer. Not sure what Bell was thinking. Did not need to burn the best bullpen guy so early in the game, just to face the #7 hitter in the 6th inning. Probably caught Lorenzen off guard too.
I have no idea. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what innings he brings these guys in.

I have no idea. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what innings he brings these guys in.
Bell's philosophy (and the Reds) is to removes roles such as closer, set up guy, middle reliever. He wants to use guys based on analytical matchups. The organization is good with it because it reduces key stats and suppresses salaries especially during arbitration.

Bell's philosophy (and the Reds) is to removes roles such as closer, set up guy, middle reliever. He wants to use guys based on analytical matchups. The organization is good with it because it reduces key stats and suppresses salaries especially during arbitration.
You are probably right. To me it seems like the best bullpens (like the Brewers) are the ones where guys know their roles; they get more comfortable that way. Most humans like to have some sort of routine.

Yes, Moose is looking better, hope he stays productive. Suarez should sit more if Moose stays productive, but he will bounce back. Guys who were good hitters their whole life just don't forget how to hit.

As for the bullpen - Lorenzen has been beyond good (12 straight scoreless outings) but last night he just did not have it. And Antone is a crusher...

Can anyone explain why Lorenzen was the guy warming up in the 6th inning of a 4-1 game? Mahle had his pitch count up, but Lorenzen has been the late inning guy / closer. Not sure what Bell was thinking. Did not need to burn the best bullpen guy so early in the game, just to face the #7 hitter in the 6th inning. Probably caught Lorenzen off guard too.
?

Hard to expect better pitching than Reds got from Mahle and Castillo, yet we go 0-2. Just give the Brewers the division crown now. Hopefully we fare better against Anderson, but Reds always seem to struggle against soft-tossing lefties.

I was being sarcastical
LOL. Poor Zeeyore. Thinks BABIP is a measure of skill.
1630068767248.png

Amazingly the Reds go 1-2 vs the Brewers and add a game to their wild card lead. Thank you Dodgers!

Nice to see Sonny Gray get back to form - 2 great starts in a row.

Anyone what wants the Reds to play the Dodgers in a one game playoff is a dolt. At this point, it’s best to hope they pass the Giants and win the NL West.

It doesn't matter who the Reds play, this is a fun team to watch and a fun season. Enjoy it!
Yep, anything can happen in one game. Bell deserves a lot of credit for the job he has done this season and the Reds, despite all their warts are a gritty bunch

Anyone what wants the Reds to play the Dodgers in a one game playoff is a dolt. At this point, it’s best to hope they pass the Giants and win the NL West.
Playing the Dodgers in a one-game playoff is 100% better than not making the playoffs. I agree that I'd rather play the Giants, only because of the recent postseason history of the two rosters. But I'm not silly enough to think the team with a better record than the Dodgers is a pushover.

The Giants roster doesn't look impressive, but they lead the MLB in HR in a huge ballpark, and are 6th in runs scored. And they are 2nd in team ERA (behind the Dodgers). The teams are equally formidable. In a one game playoff, it boils down to who is pitching that day, and how they are pitching. Either way, if the Reds hold on to their spot, they are flying out west for a game. They will be huge underdogs. But they will not give up. Love watching them battle.

Hopefully the NL West is in play up till the final game and the WC is locked up with a week to go. The Reds will set their rotation and the Dodgers and Giants will use their best guys in an effort to win the division.

Playing the Dodgers in a one-game playoff is 100% better than not making the playoffs. I agree that I'd rather play the Giants, only because of the recent postseason history of the two rosters. But I'm not silly enough to think the team with a better record than the Dodgers is a pushover.

The Giants roster doesn't look impressive, but they lead the MLB in HR in a huge ballpark, and are 6th in runs scored. And they are 2nd in team ERA (behind the Dodgers). The teams are equally formidable. In a one game playoff, it boils down to who is pitching that day, and how they are pitching. Either way, if the Reds hold on to their spot, they are flying out west for a game. They will be huge underdogs. But they will not give up. Love watching them battle.
No, but if you can avoid Scherzer, Buehler or Kershaw, that’s a lot better.

If the Dodgers use those 3 in the last 3 games in an effort to win the division then you may avoid them anyway.
They probably wouldn’t do that. I imagine they’d switch up the rotation where they could save 1 of them. And that’s assuming Bauer is still out, which it looks like he will be.

And they’re not equally formidable. I’ll take my chances against Kevin Gausman over Max Scherzer 100 times out of 100. I’ll only brought that up bc I heard that idiot Chick Ludwig saying how he’d rather face the Dodgers but it was more about bravado than what makes logical sense. I have no tolerance for that level of idiocy.

And they’re not equally formidable. I’ll take my chances against Kevin Gausman over Max Scherzer 100 times out of 100. I’ll only brought that up bc I heard that idiot Chick Ludwig saying how he’d rather face the Dodgers but it was more about bravado than what makes logical sense. I have no tolerance for that level of idiocy.
Thankfully I have no idea who Ludwig is. Sounds like a media windbag. I agree with you of course, but the Reds and Mahle beat Scherzer in May with the help of HRs by Farmer and Suarez. Reds will have a shot on any given day.

And ... since the AllStar break, the Reds have the #1 starting pitching in the MLB. Most wins, best ERA, most innings per start. Reds will have a chance against anyone.

Thankfully I have no idea who Ludwig is. Sounds like a media windbag. I agree with you of course, but the Reds and Mahle beat Scherzer in May with the help of HRs by Farmer and Suarez. Reds will have a shot on any given day.

And ... since the AllStar break, the Reds have the #1 starting pitching in the MLB. Most wins, best ERA, most innings per start. Reds will have a chance against anyone.
Don’t care what happened in the past. One game v Scherzer or Gausman is an easy choice.

noone has said anything about that. chick ludwig is a radio guy who lots of people enjoy. apparently he ruffled your tightie whities......as a reds fan, i hope they have a chance......all they need is a chance.

jtk
()

There's more Reds fans here than Marlins fans. Insane lol

Stadium is awesome though. Feels like a minor league park, only indoors. And I mean that in a good way. The bad thing about the roof is it keeps in the echoes, which makes it feel like a hockey game or something. Would be nice to see what it's like with the roof open. And to see if Miller Park, Chase Field, etc feel the same

The area around the stadium is mostly dumpy, low end residential housing. GABP is 1000x better in that regard

Also Jeter removed most of the things that made this park interesting, like the home run statue, the fish tanks, Clevelander Bar in left field, and the green outfield walls. Feels kind of bland now, was probably awesome before. Now the bar is just an empty area with nobody in it ?

noone has said anything about that. chick ludwig is a radio guy who lots of people enjoy. apparently he ruffled your tightie whities......as a reds fan, i hope they have a chance......all they need is a chance.

jtk
()
Yeah, but it’s stupid to rather play the team with the best staff in Baseball as a matter of pride. That’s so dumb. It reminds me of in 2010 when the Reds were jockeying for seeding in the playoffs and Thom Breneman was like “Bring on the Phillies” and you know what happened? They got no hit by Roy Halladay. Too many sports fans want this fantasy moment of being the underdog and beating the heavy favorite rather than doing what’s best to give your team a chance to win.