Week 2: (1-0) D6 Coldwater @ (0-1) D1 Cincinnati Oak Hills

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That’s nothing. I remember when Oak Hills used to punt on third down.
Good ol Steve Sheehan using that logic numerous times to take his most talented team in 2003 to lose 3 of their last 4 and to miss the playoffs. All of those games he punted on 3rd down because "the other team wouldn't expect it." In at least 2 of the times, the other team scored a TD. That was some incredible stupidity that I witnessed during those games.

uh wow great it would be wonderful to have Oak Hills compete with the rest of the GMC. I think can be done with the right coach and system. Kids have to buy in.
And what system and coach would that be? Oak Hills has seen about every system and type of coach on planet earth. It will never happen in football, EVER.

And no, there are not "athletes" walking the halls....... just a bunch of skinny, emo wanna be's walking around.

Oak Hills finished the game with 4 total yards rushing....4 yards on 28 attempts...
If Turpin doesn't get flagged 7X at critical spots they pull away easy.
A bright note Oak Hills, they actually punted the ball 3X with a 51 yard average... (but they still went for it on 4th down four times).
I remember the days when they would not punt then not make it on 4th down either...
The officiating was confusing at times... agreed but I didnt come away thinking Turpin was significantly superior than OH. I thought their running game was... Yes, OH had difficulty running in between the tackles. Their most effective threat to run was the QB scrambling and he did that well. They got the ball to their RB on perimeter/flat passes with some success. Guess where the Cavs have shown their weakness to be defensively thus far? I was expecting much worse from OH after what I have read. I think the Cavs will have their hands full. OH may struggle with D1 competition but the Cavs are not D1 and more importantly, OH is not D6. The cavs play numerous guys both ways with substitution. Think of the practice time leading up to Friday's game. One team can focus their players exclusively to one side of the ball. I believe this will be a significant challenge for the Cavs in many aspects. Looking forward to a great game.

OH never has the talent or the coach to make kids buy in to whatever a coach tries to teach them. It’s as if losing doesn’t matter at all. A coaches graveyard they are.

OH fields several teams per grade in youth football. They are consistently very good in all their leagues up to junior high. Then the good players go to Elder, Lasalle, and St. X. Pretty easy to figure out.

And what system and coach would that be? Oak Hills has seen about every system and type of coach on planet earth. It will never happen in football, EVER.

And no, there are not "athletes" walking the halls....... just a bunch of skinny, emo wanna be's walking around.
How do you know what’s walking the halls at Oak Hills? They are competitive in every sport except football. How is that possible from skinny emos? Stop trolling.

I may have misspoken on the total sports program-- I do agree Oak Hills continues to have very strong girls teams-- and that is boosting their results in the GMC all-sports standings.

However, I'd frame the question in terms of the boys sports-- where does Oak Hills come out in the GMC, looking only at the boys sports? I am accustomed to paying attention to their baseball team (which does not seem to be nearly as good as it once was, in the days of Wegman and Klingenbeck)-- Oak Hills used to regularly have guys get drafted by MLB-- they had 11 MLB draft choices, from 1975-2000, and only 4 in the last 20+ years-- with the last one a decade ago (2012)-- this is NOT the Oak Hills baseball team that I remember. I am less up on Oak Hills' basketball team-- but I do remember an era where they were regularly in the top 10 teams in Greater Cincinnati-- and often progressed well into the state basketball tournament-- I don't remember them doing that any time in the last decade.

I also admit to letting the higher profile sports bias my view-- football, basketball, and baseball (and wrestling, at one time) get the most publicity--and I don't know a lot about how well Oak Hills' boys golf, tennis, cross-country, track, swimming, volleyball, lacrosse, and bowling teams have been doing-- perhaps THAT's where all the Oak Hills boys athletes have gravitated.
No, the girls sports are not propping up the results. You obviously don’t want to know the truth or you would look for yourself. So, the baseball team is not consistently as good as the once-in-a-lifetime state champion team. That proves a lot. The basketball team is consistently in the top 10 of the city. It’s obvious there’s no point in feeding you the truth. Carry on.

OH fields several teams per grade in youth football. They are consistently very good in all their leagues up to junior high. Then the good players go to Elder, Lasalle, and St. X. Pretty easy to figure out.
I wouldn't paint Oak Hills' youth programs as some kind of role model for other schools. It wasn't that along ago youth football in the district was so that dysfunctional that one OH youth football program threatened to file a lawsuit against the other. I guess they've since buried the hatchet, but it's representative of what a mess Oak Hills football has been top to bottom.

you’re underestimating how tough a trip for a game across the state is. it’s unnecessary especially if both teams can find opponents closer to home. i understand some situations- Ironton scheduling Sycamore last year was a great game considering both teams situations. it makes no sense in a normal year. Kirtland to Mercer county or Wyoming to Steubenville just make no sense- STUDENT athletes having to take a day off of school to sit on a bus 2-3 times the amount of time the game will last. would need hotels in many cases. fans won’t travel well 3+ hours away. it’s high schools sports.
It's NOT necessary for the Mercer County schools to travel 3+ hours across the state-- they could take the SAME 2 hour drive down I-75 that Coldwater will make this week, to play Wyoming or Indian Hill, or Kings, or Winton Woods-- or only an ~hour South to play Trotwood, or Alter, or Fenwick, or Chaminade, or the same ~2 hour drive (as this week) North on I-75 to play Toledo St. John or Toledo Central Catholic (which makes MORE sense than Ed traveling 2 hours over from Cleveland for that mismatch, as happened this past week), or, if the MAC schools REALLY want to challenge themselves, and yet not have to travel very far, and play Division I schools (like Oak Hills-- only decent), they could go only about an ~hour South, and play HH Wayne, Clayton Northmont, Springfield, or Centerville. Coldwater is (easily) going to pass at least 5-10 better alternatives to a game against Oak Hills this week.

Regardless, it doesn't take "a day off of school" to play those Dayton or Cincy games (from Mercer County). And even to make the longest trip in the state (diagonally from Cincy to Cleveland), X and Ig do NOT take a day off of school, or stay in hotels (any more)-- they leave on Saturday morning, play Saturday afternoon, and return home the same day. It is quite feasible, if a team is truly interested in challenging itself with a cross-state rival of significance.

Last edited:
It's NOT necessary for the Mercer County schools to travel 3+ hours across the state-- they could take the SAME 2 hour drive down I-75 that Coldwater will make this week, to play Wyoming or Indian Hill, or Kings, or Winton Woods-- or only an ~hour South to play Trotwood, or Alter, or Fenwick, or Chaminade, or the same ~2 hour drive (as this week) North on I-75 to play Toledo St. John or Toledo Central Catholic (which makes MORE sense than Ed traveling 2 hours over from Cleveland for that mismatch, as happened this past week), or, if the MAC schools REALLY want to challenge themselves, and yet not have to travel very far, and play Division I schools (like Oak Hills-- only decent), they could go only about an ~hour South, and play HH Wayne, Clayton Northmont, Springfield, or Centerville. Coldwater is (easily) going to pass at least 5-10 better alternatives to a game against Oak Hills this week.

Regardless, it doesn't take "a day off of school" to play those Dayton or Cincy games (from Mercer County). And even to make the longest trip in the state (diagonally from Cincy to Cleveland), X and Ig do NOT take a day off of school, are stay in hotels (any more)-- they leave on Saturday morning, play Saturday afternoon, and return home the same day. It is quite feasible, if a team is truly interested in challenging itself with a cross-state rival of significance.
i agree about the MAC part. they usually only take those games to fill the schedule. but i’m not a fan of a team traveling to Kirtland or Steubenville “just becuase it’s a good game”

No, the girls sports are not propping up the results. You obviously don’t want to know the truth or you would look for yourself. So, the baseball team is not consistently as good as the once-in-a-lifetime state champion team. That proves a lot. The basketball team is consistently in the top 10 of the city. It’s obvious there’s no point in feeding you the truth. Carry on.
My point is that Oak Hills' baseball team has not been what it was (for many years) for many years now. I tried to research the basketball team's recent success--and found no indications of it-- perhaps I've overlooked it, but I don't recall seeing Oak Hills regularly in the Top 10 of the city recently.

If you look back, my primary contention was that Oak Hills football has been very bad for very long. I also have noticed (as someone who follows wrestling closely-- and remembers when Oak Hills was a dominant wrestling team in Cincinnati, for a long time) that Oak Hills wrestling is NOT close to what it once was.

So, I think you could see why I look a Oak Hills, and see: a formerly top baseball team, now mediocre at best; a formerly top wrestling team, now mediocre at best; a formerly very good basketball team, now not seeming to be near that level (as far as I could recall or find); and then a formerly fair-to-sometimes good football team that has now been very bad for a very long time-- those are the "Big Three" boys sports, plus the one that Oak Hills was best at (other than maybe swimming)-- and all three (and wrestling) seem to have fallen a long way from where they were.

If you are trying to say that Oak Hills' sports teams (specifically boys sports) are OVERALL just as good as they were back in the 1970's-2000, then I would like to understand how you are basing that contention.

(or, if the MAC schools REALLY want to challenge themselves, and yet not have to travel very far, and play Division I schools (like Oak Hills-- only decent), they could go only about an ~hour South, and play HH Wayne, Clayton Northmont, Springfield, or Centerville. Coldwater is (easily) going to pass at least 5-10 better alternatives to a game against Oak Hills this week.
Could they? How do you know they didn’t try those schools?

Should they? Regardless of what some MAC people think on here, I’m not sure if I’d advocate playing upper-tier D1 powers. Is the opportunity for bragging rights enough to overcome the potential for injury?

Good ol Steve Sheehan using that logic numerous times to take his most talented team in 2003 to lose 3 of their last 4 and to miss the playoffs. All of those games he punted on 3rd down because "the other team wouldn't expect it." In at least 2 of the times, the other team scored a TD. That was some incredible stupidity that I witnessed during those games.
Wait you mean a coach actually did this? Good lord I’ve never heard of that.

Could they? How do you know they didn’t try those schools?

Should they? Regardless of what some MAC people think on here, I’m not sure if I’d advocate playing upper-tier D1 powers. Is the opportunity for bragging rights enough to overcome the potential for injury?
It is only surfaced as a question, when Coldwater schedules a game with Division I Oak Hills-- why drive all that way to play a (likely non-competitive) game with a Division I school, when there are easily a dozen better choices available within the same driving radius, or much closer?

I am inferring that Coldwater did NOT try to schedule some of those other options, because those kinds of more sensible matchups (than Coldwater v. Oak Hills) NEVER seem to make it onto the schedule-- it's not just this week, or this year-- they NEVER happen.

Last edited:

Regardless, it doesn't take "a day off of school" to play those Dayton or Cincy games (from Mercer County). And even to make the longest trip in the state (diagonally from Cincy to Cleveland), X and Ig do NOT take a day off of school, are stay in hotels (any more)-- they leave on Saturday morning, play Saturday afternoon, and return home the same day. It is quite feasible, if a team is truly interested in challenging itself with a cross-state rival of significance.
Their is no way in Hades those schools are going to play Coldwater. Not much to gain ( expected to win ) and a lot to lose ( how in the world could a coach of one of those teams lose to a small D - 6 school).

Their is no way in Hades those schools are going to play Coldwater. Not much to gain ( expected to win ) and a lot to lose ( how in the world could a coach of one of those teams lose to a small D - 6 school).
One would hope that that mentality will begin to fade, as making the playoffs becomes much less of an issue. You do NOT get better by just playing teams that you already KNOW you will beat. St. X coach Specht often says "we'll play anybody, any time; the goal is to get better."-- I agree with that philosophy.

How do you know what’s walking the halls at Oak Hills? They are competitive in every sport except football. How is that possible from skinny emos? Stop trolling.
Not trolling. I have family that attend Oak Hills currently. I have friends that teach there. I am quite close with a few past assistants and head coaches. I am an acquaintance with 2 current assistants. I promise u, there's not a 6'5 athletes walking around.

I did forget about the extremely overweight kids, the kids that don't do sports (band, art, or just super academic) and the kids that don't do anything at all.

Wait you mean a coach actually did this? Good lord I’ve never heard of that.
He sure did. The QB was also the punter. He thought the opposing team would never suspect it. Good thing the offensive coach was so eager to give up a down.

It literally cost Oak Hills the playoffs in 03 season.

uh nobody in D6 or D7 would have a snowball chance in hades against the elite D1 teams in the state.Oak Hills i s awful they get beat by D2 teams every year. All their good athletes go to Elder or Lasalle
He stated
The top few MAC teams that are winning state titles regularly would be very competitive against most of D1 most years outside of roughly the top 20 programs that have more top end talent and depth.
I believe he was stating the top MAC teams could compete with lower D1. MAC teams are not on the caliber of the top D1 teams and will never claim to be

Last edited:
The 2-3 best MAC teams would probably get drilled by the cream of the crop top privates, Lakota West, Springfield, etc. I think you're in denial if you don't believe they'd be very competitive against the meh D1s like a Miamisburg or a Lebanon. A bad D1 like an Oak Hills or a Beavercreek is going to be roadkill.
Agreed.
I haven't seen where it was said the top MAC teams would be competitive to the top D1.

Seems to have worked for Coldwater and Marion Local lately. ?
The key word in my statement was "JUST"-- the MAC teams actually play (at least) 2-3 games every year against teams (in their own league) that they do NOT already know they will beat. I was talking about teams ONLY playing against other teams that they know are overmatched-- there are some of those around the state-- and it usually comes back to bite them, at playoff time.

Meanwhile, I don't see how Coldwater is likely to get better by running over an overmatched Oak Hills.