Central Catholic league 2021

Looking forward to the cross-cultural exchange week 3 at “The Pit” when Amanda buries SC.

Week Two Matchups:

Harvest Prep At Bishop Hartley

Reigning Sports Academy High School At Desales
(Come on Desales, you couldn't find anyone else?)

St. Charles At Eastmoor

Bellefontaine High School at Bishop Watterson at Ohio Dominican

Week Two Matchups:

St. Charles At Eastmoor

Reigning “Thunder and Lightning and Everything Frightening” Sports just cancelled their season, so out goes a game for SFD as well as St. Charles’ Homecoming Game.

I would say Fort Frye is much closer to Newark Catholic than Ready - they may even be better than NC. Regardless, it appears DeSales & St Charles will have to look elsewhere for a game or take a bye.

Tough start to the year for the league....

Nevertheless, I think there is some big potential for these teams. Watterson and Hartley both had really tough matchups, and DeSales was without multiple guys including one of the biggest game changers in the state.

Will be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks.

I did see somewhere else that Sylvania Southview declined the game with DeSales. Interesting to take a bye instead of playing a game.

Southview’s program is horrible. DeSales not having a game to play isn’t SV’s problem.

At some point, the CCL needs to take ownership of their scheduling difficulties and figure something out. The fact Reigning Thunder was on their schedules to begin with speaks to how desperate the situation is. CCL scheduling issues go back to the days of Moses — need to stop passing the buck onto the interests of whoever just has an open week.

One idea is to have the CCL go double round robin with everyone playing each other twice. 16 teams make it into regional playoffs, after all. Another idea is to get a fund put together that the schools can use to ‘sweeten the pot’ in enticing opponents to come play in the 11th hour of schedule-making. It’s also ironic that there isn’t an agreement with Ohio Dominican to help land opponents — could do a lot worse than telling an opposing school their kids could play a game at a beautiful Catholic university facility with possibly coaches from the NCAA D2 school giving it a look.

The AD’s at the CCL schools are great, dedicated folks. Solving their school’s schedule nightmares (a systematic problem) are beyond their individual ability. It requires collective action, cooperation and maybe even money to kill the reoccurrence of this problem.

Also doesn’t help that local schools will clearly not play the CCL. One allegedly passed two years ago on a CCL school for week 3, and this week they’re traveling to Walnut Ridge (LOL.)

Southview’s program is horrible. DeSales not having a game to play isn’t SV’s problem.

At some point, the CCL needs to take ownership of their scheduling difficulties and figure something out. The fact Reigning Thunder was on their schedules to begin with speaks to how desperate the situation is. CCL scheduling issues go back to the days of Moses — need to stop passing the buck onto the interests of whoever just has an open week.

One idea is to have the CCL go double round robin with everyone playing each other twice. 16 teams make it into regional playoffs, after all. Another idea is to get a fund put together that the schools can use to ‘sweeten the pot’ in enticing opponents to come play in the 11th hour of schedule-making. It’s also ironic that there isn’t an agreement with Ohio Dominican to help land opponents — could do a lot worse than telling an opposing school their kids could play a game at a beautiful Catholic university facility with possibly coaches from the NCAA D2 school giving it a look.

The AD’s at the CCL schools are great, dedicated folks. Solving their school’s schedule nightmares (a systematic problem) are beyond their individual ability. It requires collective action, cooperation and maybe even money to kill the reoccurrence of this problem.
It isn't Southviews problem at all, but Southview doesn't have a game themselves. They might have a bad program, but a game against a similar size school makes sense. The travel might not, but I would think DeSales would make the trip for even a smaller stipend just to get the game in.

DeSales used to be able to schedule Moeller and LaSalle and compete in a game, thats just not the case anymore. Hartley got absolutely bullied by Moeller last year(I know they were up 10-0, but after that the game wasn't even remotely close) and Moeller had one of the worst teams in 20 years. These teams can't play with the huge big boys regularly like they used to. That's part of the issue. Dover/Jackson/Southview/Western Brown/Granville/etc. schools of similar size won't play and these teams don't wanna go take a tough loss to a team/school twice their size.

It isn't Southviews problem at all, but Southview doesn't have a game themselves. They might have a bad program, but a game against a similar size school makes sense. The travel might not, but I would think DeSales would make the trip for even a smaller stipend just to get the game in.

DeSales used to be able to schedule Moeller and LaSalle and compete in a game, thats just not the case anymore. Hartley got absolutely bullied by Moeller last year(I know they were up 10-0, but after that the game wasn't even remotely close) and Moeller had one of the worst teams in 20 years. These teams can't play with the huge big boys regularly like they used to. That's part of the issue. Dover/Jackson/Southview/Western Brown/Granville/etc. schools of similar size won't play and these teams don't wanna go take a tough loss to a team/school twice their size.
We agree more than we disagree, here.

The point you allude to with SFD vs The Big Six (Elder, LaSalle, Moeller, St. X; St. Ed and St. Ignatius) underscores the issue at hand. The few teams with open availability on basically any date are beyond reason to play even for the CCL’s Big Three.

In a more perfect world, the CCL and OCC would have a scheduling agreement. The CCL-GCL Co-Ed deal apparently is dead…? There’s just so few options unless the CCL goes into Indiana & KY (not very feasible because of distance) for games or West Virginia (competitiveness issues, because there’s only six schools who could keep up — Cabell Midland, Parkersburg & South, Wheeling Park, GW from Charleston and South Charleston.) Unless the CCL makes Steubenville an affiliate, the only other option is an OCC-CCL agreement. Or make Cleveland St Joe an offer they can’t refuse.

I’m largely critical of the CCL anyways, full disclosure, but this is not ideal no matter how you look at it. (Yes, I realize SFD being open week 2 is a little less CCL-scheduling weeks 4-10 relevant… nevertheless it’s a symptom of the broader problem that requires cooperation and sacrifice across all four IMO.)

In a more perfect world, the CCL and OCC would have a scheduling agreement. The CCL-GCL Co-Ed deal apparently is dead…? […]
I’m largely critical of the CCL anyways, full disclosure, but this is not ideal no matter how you look at it. (Yes, I realize SFD being open week 2 is a little less CCL-scheduling weeks 4-10 relevant… nevertheless it’s a symptom of the broader problem that requires cooperation and sacrifice across all four IMO.)
Although Watterson might have burned a bridge following the Marysville situation.

The point you allude to with SFD vs The Big Six (Elder, LaSalle, Moeller, St. X; St. Ed and St. Ignatius) underscores the issue at hand. The few teams with open availability on basically any date are beyond reason to play even for the CCL’s Big Three.

In a more perfect world, the CCL and OCC would have a scheduling agreement. The CCL-GCL Co-Ed deal apparently is dead…? There’s just so few options unless the CCL goes into Indiana & KY (not very feasible because of distance) for games or West Virginia (competitiveness issues, because there’s only six schools who could keep up — Cabell Midland, Parkersburg & South, Wheeling Park, GW from Charleston and South Charleston.) Unless the CCL makes Steubenville an affiliate, the only other option is an OCC-CCL agreement. Or make Cleveland St Joe an offer they can’t refuse.

Yes we very much do.

I would love to think the CCL teams could play with anybody in the state. I wanted to see Hartley beat Moeller last year. It was fun when DeSales was one of the top 10-12 teams in the state regardless of division. Last year DeSales might've been around 20-25. In 2016, I'd say they were top 10-12. It just doesn't happen every year any more.

I think an OCC vs CCL matchup week where Watty, DeSales, SC, and Hartley all play an OCC game would be cool. SC could get Central Crossing or Westland, Watty gets UA, DeSales gets Gahanna, Hartley gets Pick North. That would be fun for the communities as well. So we do agree on the basis of that.

What I would love to see, if Newark Catholic and Ready re-join for some games. Theres no doubt both of those teams could beat St Charles at least. Then you have a top 3 and a bottom 3 with some potential upsets every couple of years. Thats no different than bottom feeders in other conferences. Plus both of those programs have decent numbers as well.

CCL v GCL Co-Ed seems logical. What's the deal there?

CCL v GCL Co-Ed seems logical. What's the deal there?
Not sure why that only lasted one year(2019). I believe it was scheduled in 2020 but that obviously didn’t happen. Also some kind of agreement with the northeast Ohio Catholics would make sense (excluding Ed’s and Iggy)

Unrelated to the scheduling discussion, but I might find an answer on this thread.

What’s the deal with AM820 football coverage? I get last year was tough because of pandemic season, but I tuned in on my way up to SFD on Friday and they’re doing a syndication of Catholic Answers Live in the 6-7pm slot? And no game on the radio?

I know the scoreboard show is around postgame. Still, one of the best Central Ohio traditions for Friday Night is no more?

What I would love to see, if Newark Catholic and Ready re-join for some games. Theres no doubt both of those teams could beat St Charles at least. Then you have a top 3 and a bottom 3 with some potential upsets every couple of years. Thats no different than bottom feeders in other conferences. Plus both of those programs have decent numbers as well.
I like the idea in principle, and out of fandom. NC hasn’t played St. Charles since 1998 (pre-Crabtree.) A CCL-6 would be neat, but NC is projected to enroll three straight years of very small freshmen classes beginning next fall.

Ready — I question the long-term viability of BR playing in the CCL. Their athletics, writ large, are not very competitive with the rest of the CCL. Their football program is an affiliate of a league they are a hand-in-glove fit for (the Mid-State League’s Ohio Division) yet they can’t play for a league title until they join for all sports. And that’s a very respectable league they could be competitive in for other sports. Factor in also that Ready has to contend with a serious ‘bad part of town’ stigma, along with whether Cristo Rey is going to siphon off certain student populations, and you get a situation where it’s unclear what the school’s enrollment situation will be 5-10 years from now.

I think BR and the CCL will end up having a serious discussion on what’s best for BR going forward. I know the CCL would hate to lose them; that Ready would love to stick with the CCL tradition; but, something’s got to give. Some Ready folks believe that if they joined the Mid-State League (the Ohio Division) it would help the school and its athletics. I personally believe it would be the correct move. But I also don’t see it as the only option moving forward.

IMO, one thing that could strengthen Ready is if the CCL (with Diocesan folks helping with negotiations) would be willing to create a CCL ‘small school’ — or some type of satellite-scheduling agreement —(thinking primarily non-football) where Ready could play NC, us, and Rosecrans twice in non-football (maybe even football?) thus a ‘Big Four’ (BH, BW, SC, SFD) and a ‘Small Four’ (BR, FC, NC, Rosecrans) with some ground rules for crossover-scheduling that pleases everyone.

I like the idea in principle, and out of fandom. NC hasn’t played St. Charles since 1998 (pre-Crabtree.) A CCL-6 would be neat, but NC is projected to enroll three straight years of very small freshmen classes beginning next fall.

Ready — I question the long-term viability of BR playing in the CCL. Their athletics, writ large, are not very competitive with the rest of the CCL. Their football program is an affiliate of a league they are a hand-in-glove fit for (the Mid-State League’s Ohio Division) yet they can’t play for a league title until they join for all sports. And that’s a very respectable league they could be competitive in for other sports. Factor in also that Ready has to contend with a serious ‘bad part of town’ stigma, along with whether Cristo Rey is going to siphon off certain student populations, and you get a situation where it’s unclear what the school’s enrollment situation will be 5-10 years from now.

I think BR and the CCL will end up having a serious discussion on what’s best for BR going forward. I know the CCL would hate to lose them; that Ready would love to stick with the CCL tradition; but, something’s got to give. Some Ready folks believe that if they joined the Mid-State League (the Ohio Division) it would help the school and its athletics. I personally believe it would be the correct move. But I also don’t see it as the only option moving forward.

IMO, one thing that could strengthen Ready is if the CCL (with Diocesan folks helping with negotiations) would be willing to create a CCL ‘small school’ — or some type of satellite-scheduling agreement —(thinking primarily non-football) where Ready could play NC, us, and Rosecrans twice in non-football (maybe even football?) thus a ‘Big Four’ (BH, BW, SC, SFD) and a ‘Small Four’ (BR, FC, NC, Rosecrans) with some ground rules for crossover-scheduling that pleases everyone.
You're onto something with that last idea there... I like your thinking

Also for what its worth, Hartley and DeSales aren't in the greatest part of town.

Week Two Matchups:

St. Charles At Eastmoor

Week Two Matchups:

St. Charles At Eastmoor

I’m thinking Hartley has this game in the bag.

Hope SFD can get whichever of Independence or Hamilton Township doesn’t have the ‘rona problems.