Colerain at La Salle.

We saw the freshman QB Brady O'Connor in the varsity scrimmages. How did he look in the freshman game?

Last edited:
This is a repeat of 2019, We didn't know who would start at QB. Zach Branum was coming off a successful JV season as QB. Question remained about his ability to make the jump to the varsity. Ultimately, we decided to go with Zach and he led us to an outright GCLS championship and our fourth state title. We can't say for sure who starts Friday night but no one can say for sure since none of the candidates have varsity experience. Talk to me after the Winton Woods game if we have our QB not now because no one knows just like 2019.
That’s fair Lancer.

I heard they were up 34-6 at half no less and that Colerain only has about 25 freshmen.
Our freshman online roster has 48 freshmen on it. Some GCLS schools have two freshman teams. I say let's do that. Put Brady O'Connor 6'1", 187 as QB on one team and Patrick McLaughlin 5'8" 127 as QB on the other, 24 players on each. Sounds good to me.

Last edited:
Brady was not in the Varsity scrimmage, he showed out in the freshman scrimmage though.
I wasn't there but CJSS says he played in both scrimmages, "There is a freshman QB I’ve noticed at both scrimmages, O’Conner (sp) I believe? He is going to be a good one. His arm looks varsity ready now and he runs really well. Looks like he’s about 6’2” 190, that’s comparing him to other players. Might be bigger but definitely not smaller."

Pretty close on guessing the height and weight. Freshman roster lists him at 6'1", 187 lbs.

Last edited:
Lancers new helmets in 2021. https://ohiohshelmets.webs.com/lasalle

1629388661506.png

Last edited:
I wasn't there but CJSS says he played in both scrimmages, "There is a freshman QB I’ve noticed at both scrimmages, O’Conner (sp) I believe? He is going to be a good one. His arm looks varsity ready now and he runs really well. Looks like he’s about 6’2” 190, that’s comparing him to other players. Might be bigger but definitely not smaller."

Pretty close on guessing the height and weight. Freshman roster lists him at 6'1", 187 lbs.
He played great in the freshman scrimmage, unfortunately did not get in QB for the varsity scrimmage. Kyle Reynolds was in at the end of the scrimmage.

Our freshman online roster has 48 freshmen on it. Some GCLS schools have two freshman teams. I say let's do that. Put Brady O'Connor 6'1", 187 as QB on one team and Patrick McLaughlin 5'8" 127 as QB on the other, 24 players on each. Sounds good to me.
McLaughlin is the QB of the future, it is not even close.

Enough talk about the freshmen. Back to the game that counts tomorrow night. Safwan Alvi made some interesting comments on Tristatefootball.com.

Turnovers will be the biggest indicator for this game. Quarterbacks are new and inexperienced and both defenses will be fired up and ready to play. The team that can avoid the big mistake will walk out of Lancer Stadium 1-0. This game will be played between the 20s and touchdowns will come at a premium.

"Expect the special teams to be busy and field position to play a massive role in this game as well. Colerain’s secondary outside of Kenny Willis is unproven, so the Lancers can and will test them early and often while making it a key point to get Payne the football. It is no secret the Cardinals will be looking to sustain long drives with the triple option and keep LaSalle’s offense off the field. Something has to give with two teams looking to prove they are still conference title contenders".

So a 5'8" 127 lbs kid has a better shot than a 6'1", 187 lbs kid, doesn't make sense to me.
The kid isn't done growing and if you talk to any coach in the GCYL last season they would tell you he was the best QB in the league. His Football IQ is off the charts and he is a great all around athlete, not to mention he is tough as nails. He is going to be a heck of HS QB

My apology Lancermania, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the freshman scrimmages in regards to O’Conner. And yes, he was very impressive against Colerain in the freshman game. That being said, the McLaughlin kid is darn good too. He doesn’t have the size of O’Conner but wow what an arm. He puts it on a dime and looks very calm doing it. LaSalle looks to be in good shape with this freshman class. The skill positions didn’t miss a beat when they subbed and the lines on both sides absolutely dominated. Very impressed with how aggressive they played.

My apology Lancermania, I should have been more clear. I was referring to the freshman scrimmages in regards to O’Conner. And yes, he was very impressive against Colerain in the freshman game. That being said, the McLaughlin kid is darn good too. He doesn’t have the size of O’Conner but wow what an arm. He puts it on a dime and looks very calm doing it. LaSalle looks to be in good shape with this freshman class. The skill positions didn’t miss a beat when they subbed and the lines on both sides absolutely dominated. Very impressed with how aggressive they played.
I have to include that there is a speedy running back that was gashing the Colerain defense, not sure what his name was though.

Seemed to be a couple speedy Rb’s and 2 Bruising Rb’s that were hammers at Lb as well. They looked good across the board.

Not really puzzling. More money, more freedom, less administrative interference and a growing rather than declining district. Bolden was never easy to work with and the NWLSD administration is pretty awful. LW has gone out of its way to give him more money and stay out of his way.

Colerain is not the great mix of demographics it was in the early 00s and 10s. The neighborhood is in decline. The parents that can afford it send their kids to X and LaSalle and much of the middle class of the area has fled to Harrison and Ross. The school is getting smaller and smaller and honestly should be probably merge with Northwest, as both buildings are at the end of their lifespans. But geography and politics will keep this from happening soon.
He saw the handwriting on the wall. Bolden could not have asked for a better opportunity. not just the money, but support from all sides beckoned him. complete control of the program from middle school on up. A wealth of talent up here, support, control, and even the parents appreciate him. future is bright for LW football. Kids are even so proud they have signs in their yards with their names on them that they are part of LW football team ( this had been done previously so it's not new but the spirit is back ) First test will be st. X tonight don't count them out ...but then they are playing X