Northwest Ohio Realignment

Have heard a few rumblings that both Maumee and Woodmore would love to head to their new conferences for the 2022-2023 school year. Don’t be surprised if this is the last year (lasted 11) of the current NLL, NBC and TRAC.

Have heard a few rumblings that both Maumee and Woodmore would love to head to their new conferences for the 2022-2023 school year. Don’t be surprised if this is the last year (lasted 11) of the current NLL, NBC and TRAC.
Someone mentioned earlier that Elmwood wanted the same thing. Would that mean Oak Harbor gets released early? I think it’s more likely Woodmore and OH work something out than the NLL letting Maumee go without the TRAC schools coming to them.

A school like McComb could bring out their JH and still most likely put a running clock on Vanlue this year.
You're being sarcastic, of course. I once watched a Vanlue team of 12 (including 1 girl) whip the snot out of Marion Catholic on a 90-degree August Saturday afternoon game in Week 1 several years back. Gotta love that kind of grit.

The BVC does have a mechanism to take care of a possible situation with Vanlue. After a couple of years away from the biz some of the details of BVC Bylaw (can't remember the number, I want to say 33) are a bit fuzzy but I know that when Hardin Northern was having numbers issues the league adopted a bylaw that would cause a school to pay a penalty to any league school that misses a home game in football and boys and girls basketball. The offending school would have to pay a school it's average gate revenue for a home game over a 3 year span for every home game lost in those three sports. There may be some other financial penalties as well as a suspension from playing football in the league for a year or two.
Unfortunately, when Ogden Newspapers took control of The Courier, the online archives were pretty much eliminated leaving none of their stories from 1996 to 2018 that were available online so I can't verify the exact penalties.

You're being sarcastic, of course. I once watched a Vanlue team of 12 (including 1 girl) whip the snot out of Marion Catholic on a 90-degree August Saturday afternoon game in Week 1 several years back. Gotta love that kind of grit.

The BVC does have a mechanism to take care of a possible situation with Vanlue. After a couple of years away from the biz some of the details of BVC Bylaw (can't remember the number, I want to say 33) are a bit fuzzy but I know that when Hardin Northern was having numbers issues the league adopted a bylaw that would cause a school to pay a penalty to any league school that misses a home game in football and boys and girls basketball. The offending school would have to pay a school it's average gate revenue for a home game over a 3 year span for every home game lost in those three sports. There may be some other financial penalties as well as a suspension from playing football in the league for a year or two.
Unfortunately, when Ogden Newspapers took control of The Courier, the online archives were pretty much eliminated leaving none of their stories from 1996 to 2018 that were available online so I can't verify the exact penalties.
That financial penalty was already in place when I was at Hardin Northern and mostly is as you described. There was a brief time where we were to look up those gate receipts vs Vanlue, but nothing ever came of it.

Once again, the BOE/Super/Principal stepping in is a no-brainer. The meddle in stuff any other time.

But how about the league? Where is that leadership to say enough is enough? How can any team in the league want to deal with this? I mean, a helmet comes off and they don’t have enough kids to play for at least one down.
The BVC gave C-R an ultimatum to leave the league or drop football and stay, but hasn’t done anything with Vanlue. Cory has 20+ players out (still not enough IMO) and Vanlue might not even have 11...

Well they are practicing. On other information than this in Findlay paper.
1628616826026.png

The Blade had their BVC preview today, quote from the coach of NB
“It will be our last year playing football in the BVC,” Ishmael said. “Hoping to go out strong. Has been a good summer with many seniors wanting to prove something.”
Did I miss something about them leaving?

“It will be our last year playing football in the BVC,” Ishmael said. “Hoping to go out strong. Has been a good summer with many seniors wanting to prove something.”

Well that's certainly news...I haven't seen anything about North Baltimore at all, wonder where they'd even go... SBC-River? They'd be so far out of the way for basically every other conference.

I would guess they accidentally mixed up the North Baltimore and Cory-Rawson quotes?

Could there possibly be talk of NB and 8 man that just hasn't become public yet? Did the coach leak something?

Or was it a quote that was mixed up?

Another plea on Vanlue Facebook post. All but saying if they don't field a football team school will close (not a good reason a kid should play football). Very odd that can't seem to comprehend that maybe a kid doesn't want to play football maybe is not built for it or just wants to do something else. Not many 110 lb freshman want to play every snap of a varsity football game. They already get about half the boys out for the team.

1629068394154.png

1629068430972.png

I was at the NB scrimmage on Friday. Numbers are not great, but I saw or heard nothing that would indicate an impending change in league affiliation or a change from 11-man. I'm thinking that it is a misattributed quote.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that the village is planning to do some work on the lights in the next two weeks before the Crestline game, or they could be a Crooksville situation. I had never seen a football scrimmage called on account of darkness before--and that was with the lights on!

I was at the NB scrimmage on Friday. Numbers are not great, but I saw or heard nothing that would indicate an impending change in league affiliation or a change from 11-man. I'm thinking that it is a misattributed quote.

On the other hand, I'm hoping that the village is planning to do some work on the lights in the next two weeks before the Crestline game, or they could be a Crooksville situation. I had never seen a football scrimmage called on account of darkness before--and that was with the lights on!

I was told by two different sources a while back that part of the deal with Elmwood joining the league is they would not have to play Vanlue or CR.

Well looks like they think they can play with 12. So if your team plays them 2nd half of season or even 2nd game hopefully there is a backup game planed. No way with 10 kids playing every snap that two of them don't get hurt.

Numbers down, hope is up for first-year Vanlue coach

Dylan Frazier/ dylanfrazier@thecourier.com
Aug 18, 2021 2:00 AM

VANLUE — Year in and-year out, the Vanlue Wildcats have been able to field an 11-man football team despite dwindling enrollment numbers.
This year is no different.
With just 12 kids on the roster and long-time coach Jeremy Kloepfer having stepped down, first-time head coach Lee Summers is certainly going to have his hands full.
But there’s no other place he’d rather kick off his coaching career than right at home.

“I’m a graduate here, spent my 13 years here, and coached baseball right after I graduated. The community members are really supportive of the programs here in sports and the school,” Summers said. “Stepping in as the head coach here after helping coach Kloepfer here for five years is truly exciting.
“We have a lot of good people here — they work really hard, they know it's a tradition, and we have to keep going because they put everything they have into it,” the Vanlue graduate said. “It’s a collective effort from everybody from administration to athletic director, to all of our coaches and our parents.”
Summers is hopeful those five years as an assistant coach under Kloepfer will pay dividends. On the field and off.
“The wisdom in football knowledge Jeremy has, the experience that he has, he knows so much about the game of football but also in life,” Summers said. “He has taught me a lot in the past five years, I think it's gonna help me out a lot.”
For most schools, losing only six seniors would be a blessing, but for Vanlue, it’s more like a nightmare. Those six seniors made up a little less than half of last year’s roster.
Not only are the Wildcats going to be without many players from a season ago, but they will also be without several key pieces.
Vanlue will be without its 2020 first-team all-BVC WR Jared Kloepfer, who finished with a BVC-high 584 yards receiving and five touchdowns. Leading rusher Chase Wellman (185 yds rushing, 3 TDs) also graduated.
Also graduating was third-team All-BVC CB Joey Bonham, who finished last year with three interceptions and a pick-6. Jaden Kloepfer and Evan Saltzman, who combined for 99 stops and 13 tackles for loss, will also be gone from the Wildcat defensive unit.

Well looks like they think they can play with 12. So if your team plays them 2nd half of season or even 2nd game hopefully there is a backup game planed. No way with 10 kids playing every snap that two of them don't get hurt.
?‍♂️ Gotta give them credit though at least they have pride. But their opponents should be looking for new teams to play and just refuse to play them.

Just so this thread doesn't get buried to deep.

This is pathetic. Good to see someone called them out on it. So lets say some kid that never played football comes out and his first game would be against McComb in two weeks and if there is an injury that kid doesn't leave the field. In nobody's mind can that be safe.

1629730818914.png

1629731188139.png

Lol comparing a sprained ankle or a knee injury to a concussion.

"Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to." Maybe take your advice and give it up.

I used to root for Vanlue because of the underdog thing. But at this point I hope they never win a game again. It's time to give it up.

Lol comparing a sprained ankle or a knee injury to a concussion.

"Sometimes in life you have to do things you don't want to." Maybe take your advice and give it up.

I used to root for Vanlue because of the underdog thing. But at this point I hope they never win a game again. It's time to give it up.
Yeah what they are doing there isn’t something I root for anymore.

Yeah what they are doing there isn’t something I root for anymore.

Feel terrible for any kid being pressured into playing, and to a lesser extent (but still there) the kids who WANT to play but know they have no shot every week. It's not fair to any of them.

Feel terrible for any kid being pressured into playing, and to a lesser extent (but still there) the kids who WANT to play but know they have no shot every week. It's not fair to any of them.

Maybe the guy is doing the best he can, while others sit on their duff writing negative posts instead of suggestions? Not everyone is a social genius Oprah. In same situation, you would go all belly-up or what?

Encouraging participation is part of teaching and coaching. Supposedly most of us here value the contribution of team sports to a child's development. Only a few trying to get that participation are lauded but the rest are contributing. How would you do it?

Maybe the guy is doing the best he can, while others sit on their duff writing negative posts instead of suggestions? Not everyone is a social genius Oprah. In same situation, you would go all belly-up or what?

Encouraging participation is part of teaching and coaching. Supposedly most of us here value the contribution of team sports to a child's development. Only a few trying to get that participation are lauded but the rest are contributing. How would you do it?

When there's 31 boys grade 9-11 (and probably fewer now than when the last count came out, considering they're shrinking), I wouldn't. There's simply not enough boys in that school to field anything close to a competitive team. Only a total idiot would be trying to save a dead program at this point.

If they won't consider 8 man (my choice if I HAD to do the job,) then the only thing to do is shut it down. It's not about community pride at this point, and it's never been about wins and losses. Someone is going to end up with a life altering injury, and unfortunately it's likely to be a 14 year old kid who really didn't want to play in the first place.

So yes, when the choice is get a freshman hurt because he had to go both ways against a much larger and much more experienced senior or go belly up, I'm protecting the children. At that point, screw football. There's plenty of other sports that can help their development.

Sometimes the best you can do is admit defeat and move on.

Doesn't look like the NLL have been reading the thread. PBurg funning over Findlay. Northview hanging with Clay. AW competitive (oops) with SJJ. BG only 21 behind Eastwood but they've only just begun the 2nd so that might not hold up.