Paid High School Players Are Coming— Who’ll Buy?

4GX

I posted a thread (on the main Yappi football forum) that I expect the same restrictions on scholastic amateurism in sports (that the US Supreme Court recently struck down for colleges, ruling vehemently against the NCAA) to soon ALSO be struck down for high school athletics— in other words, the OHSAA is NO DIFFERENT than the NCAA— the courts are NOT going to protect amateurism in scholastic sports at any level— there is really no difference in the conditions at either level— and with the legal precedent ALREADY established at the highest court in the land, it will not take long to apply that precedent downward, across the country.

So, I expect a free-for-all for players to emerge here very soon— it will take someone with standing (e.g.- a HS player) to sue for the same NIL benefits that ”college” professional athletes are now getting (that kid QB who just jumped from Texas HS to Ohio State— Quinn Ewers— could have been the test case— but he elected to just go to college early, rather than sit around and argue with the Texas equivalent of the OHSAA)— and then, it will be Katie-bar-the-door with the same flood of endorsement money (on a smaller scale) beginning to wash over HS athletes across the country,

So, my real question is this: WHO are going to emerge as the dominant powers in Ohio “high school” athletics? Really, I am asking: Who has the richest, most devoted alumni base, willing to spend the most money to attract (and pay) the most, best players to play for their alma mater?

I think I already know the answer— but I want to see what this august group here has to say; the group on the main Yappi thread is likely to get too wrapped around the axle debating why this won’t happen— and focusing on the wrong criteria for future success, if they even ever DO consider what this New World Order will look like. Here, I expect a bit more rational, considered thought about what I think is (inevitably) coming.

Can you imagine the hissy fit the Archdiocese of Cincinnati will throw if HS kids start getting checks and they don’t get their cut? I almost hope it happens just for that reason.

Yes, I know St X isn’t governed by them.

Can you imagine the hissy fit the Archdiocese of Cincinnati will throw if HS kids start getting checks and they don’t get their cut? I almost hope it happens just for that reason.

Yes, I know St X isn’t governed by them.
I hadn’t thought about that aspect of it— but I don’t imagine that the Archdiocese is going to have any say in what players are getting, any more than, say, the SEC has in how much Alabama’s new starting QB is getting this Year— that kid doesn’t have to share with the NCAA, the SEC, or even the “University of” Alabama— his deals are between HIM and the various sponsors who think it’s a good deal for them (or serves their purposes) to pay that kid for his NIL… It will be the same for Brogan McCaughey— he will not have to share with St. X, the Archdiocese, or the OHSAA— it will be ALL his to keep/spend as he sees fit.

I posted a thread (on the main Yappi football forum) that I expect the same restrictions on scholastic amateurism in sports (that the US Supreme Court recently struck down for colleges, ruling vehemently against the NCAA) to soon ALSO be struck down for high school athletics— in other words, the OHSAA is NO DIFFERENT than the NCAA— the courts are NOT going to protect amateurism in scholastic sports at any level— there is really no difference in the conditions at either level— and with the legal precedent ALREADY established at the highest court in the land, it will not take long to apply that precedent downward, across the country.

So, I expect a free-for-all for players to emerge here very soon— it will take someone with standing (e.g.- a HS player) to sue for the same NIL benefits that ”college” professional athletes are now getting (that kid QB who just jumped from Texas HS to Ohio State— Quinn Ewers— could have been the test case— but he elected to just go to college early, rather than sit around and argue with the Texas equivalent of the OHSAA)— and then, it will be Katie-bar-the-door with the same flood of endorsement money (on a smaller scale) beginning to wash over HS athletes across the country,

So, my real question is this: WHO are going to emerge as the dominant powers in Ohio “high school” athletics? Really, I am asking: Who has the richest, most devoted alumni base, willing to spend the most money to attract (and pay) the most, best players to play for their alma mater?

I think I already know the answer— but I want to see what this august group here has to say; the group on the main Yappi thread is likely to get too wrapped around the axle debating why this won’t happen— and focusing on the wrong criteria for future success, if they even ever DO consider what this New World Order will look like. Here, I expect a bit more rational, considered thought about what I think is (inevitably) coming.
A big issue was college athletes couldn’t be paid for any kind of work. HS kids are free to work regular part time jobs. Also, you’re talking (mostly) about minors, so I’m sure there’s more work restrictions. Also, schools aren’t exactly making a boatload of $ off these kids like colleges. How many football programs really turn a profit in the city? I’m guessing less than 10.

Last edited:
I hadn’t thought about that aspect of it— but I don’t imagine that the Archdiocese is going to have any say in what players are getting, any more than, say, the SEC has in how much Alabama’s new starting QB is getting this Year— that kid doesn’t have to share with the NCAA, the SEC, or even the “University of” Alabama— his deals are between HIM and the various sponsors who think it’s a good deal for them (or serves their purposes) to pay that kid for his NIL… It will be the same for Brogan McCaughey— he will not have to share with St. X, the Archdiocese, or the OHSAA— it will be ALL his to keep/spend as he sees fit.
If he’s being paid in any capacity related to his affiliation with St X, you better believe the Order of the Jesuits will put restrictions on it. This is the same order that will not allow kids to graduate early, they’re not going to let this happen. And the same goes for any other religious affiliation running high schools across America.

The circumstances surrounding HS football vs college football are entirely different. You don’t have the massive tv contracts, scholarships, tix sales.

Last edited:
A big issue was college athletes couldn’t be paid for any kind of work. HS kids are free to work regular part time jobs. Also, you’re talking (mostly) about minors, so I’m sure there’s more work restrictions. Also, schools aren’t exactly making a boatload of $ off these kids like colleges. How many football programs really turn a profit in the city? I’m guessing less than 10.
The opportunity to work part-time jobs is not a differentiator between HS and college— any college athlete can do so in the summer time (which is also when most HS athletes do it)— I know for a fact, as I was an NCAA Division I college athlete— and my teammates all had summer jobs as well. You could even work during the school year (that is another widely misunderstood concept)— there WERE some NCAA restrictions on who you can work for, and what level of pay you could earn. The reality is that most college athletes did not have TIME to work, on top of playing their sport and doing academic work. This issue is NOT going to save HS sports from the Supreme Court’s NIL decision.

There are also no restrictions on earning money when you are minor— there are work rules on how and when minors can be employed— but don’t think for a moment that the work load for these NIL payments is going to be onerous— kids are going to get paid for doing virtually NOTHING.

Finally, the level of money being brought in has NOTHING to do with whether kids can (and will) be paid for their NIL services. The Supreme Court’s decision (against the amateurism requirement in scholastic athletic organizations) applies whether the organization makes a lot of money— or no money at all… And this is also NOT about whether a school makes money on their program (the SCHOOLS are NOT the ones who will be paying the athletes)— nor is it about whether the alum or business that pays them makes a return on their payment to the athlete— Massilllon’s local car dealer alums are NOT going to care whether they make any return on their payment to attract the top pro-style HS QB prospect in Ohio (and Pennsylvania) to play at Massillon Washington— it is going to be about whether Massillon can (finally) win a state championship on the field— your role model for what is going to be happening should be the car dealer alum (”Buddy”) in Friday Night Lights— only everything is going to be legal, legitimate, above-board and permitted now— all due to this Supreme Court decision.

If he’s being paid in any capacity related to his affiliation with St X, you better believe the Order of the Jesuits will put restrictions on it. This is the same order that will not allow kids to graduate early, they’re not going to let this happen. And the same goes for any other religious affiliation running high schools across America.

The circumstances surrounding HS football vs college football are entirely different. You don’t have the massive tv contracts, scholarships, tix sales.
You are right— the Jesuits could choose to put restrictions on that practice— and quickly see all future top prospects choose to go somewhere else. We will soon see, if that develops, whether the SJ decides to stand against HS athletes being paid. This IS coming to HS sports— it will NOT be stopped by religious organizations— if X won’t pay, well then Seven Hills or Country Day will (and their alums have an UNGODLY amount of money to spend— pun intended). Even wealthier suburbs, with sufficiently engaged alums, may well turn their formerly desultory public school teams into newfound powerhouses— I can see Mason, Centerville, Mariemont, Indian Hill, Madeira, Oakwood and a number of others going from average to dominant, in this New World Order.

The opportunity to work part-time jobs is not a differentiator between HS and college— any college athlete can do so in the summer time (which is also when most HS athletes do it)— I know for a fact, as I was an NCAA Division I college athlete— and my teammates all had summer jobs as well. You could even work during the school year (that is another widely misunderstood concept)— there WERE some NCAA restrictions on who you can work for, and what level of pay you could earn. The reality is that most college athletes did not have TIME to work, on top of playing their sport and doing academic work. This issue is NOT going to save HS sports from the Supreme Court’s NIL decision.

There are also no restrictions on earning money when you are minor— there are work rules on how and when minors can be employed— but don’t think for a moment that the work load for these NIL payments is going to be onerous— kids are going to get paid for doing virtually NOTHING.

Finally, the level of money being brought in has NOTHING to do with whether kids can (and will) be paid for their NIL services. The Supreme Court’s decision (against the amateurism requirement in scholastic athletic organizations) applies whether the organization makes a lot of money— or no money at all… And this is also NOT about whether a school makes money on their program (the SCHOOLS are NOT the ones who will be paying the athletes)— nor is it about whether the alum or business that pays them makes a return on their payment to the athlete— Massilllon’s local car dealer alums are NOT going to care whether they make any return on their payment to attract the top pro-style HS QB prospect in Ohio (and Pennsylvania) to play at Massillon Washington— it is going to be about whether Massillon can (finally) win a state championship on the field— your role model for what is going to be happening should be the car dealer alum (”Buddy”) in Friday Night Lights— only everything is going to be legal, legitimate, above-board and permitted now— all due to this Supreme Court decision.
The biggest grievance of college athletes was the university taking in millions of $ off their specific image & likeness. There’s no market like that for HS athletes.

Also, Friday Night Lights is ghey.

Last edited:
You are right— the Jesuits could choose to put restrictions on that practice— and quickly see all future top prospects choose to go somewhere else. We will soon see, if that develops, whether the SJ decides to stand against HS athletes being paid. This IS coming to HS sports— it will NOT be stopped by religious organizations— if X won’t pay, well then Seven Hills or Country Day will (and their alums have an UNGODLY amount of money to spend— pun intended). Even wealthier suburbs, with sufficiently engaged alums, may well turn their formerly desultory public school teams into newfound powerhouses— I can see Mason, Centerville, Mariemont, Indian Hill, Madeira, Oakwood and a number of others going from average to dominant, in this New World Order.
Except, it’s not going to happen, and School Districts still exist and while those districts have $, they also have a lot of politics.

In your scenario, these schools would leave the OHSAA and become independents. They could do what they want, but won’t be eligible to play in stats tournaments.

Wow. I'd say those teams with the richest traditions like Moe, St X, St. Iggy, St Eds, etc

Reactions: 4GX
You have got to be kidding right. This will not change the landscape of high school football in Cincy. Nobody on X’s current team would be worth throwing money at.

You have got to be kidding right. This will not change the landscape of high school football in Cincy. Nobody on X’s current team would be worth throwing money at.
Not to mention business contracts with minors are not enforceable.

The biggest grievance of college athletes was the university taking in millions of $ off their specific image & likeness. There’s no market like that for HS athletes.

Also, Friday Night Lights is ghey.
You’re wrong— there is PLENTY of market for it for HS athletes— Simone Biles has been the best gymnast in the world since she was 15 years old. LeBron would have been a 1st round NBA draft choice as a freshman or sophomore at SVSM. The Texas HS QB (Quinn Ewers) who JUST reclassified a year ahead, so he could jump to Ohio State from the defending Texas big school state HS championship team before his senior HS year, did so PRECISELY because he was (for the moment) being prevented from earning the NIL revenue that he could have been earning this year—but that situation won’t last— soon, his successors will get that rule thrown out, based on the Supreme Court’s ruling— and the floodgates will open to NIL payments to HS athletes.

And you look silly using homophobic slurs to denigrate what was widely viewed as one of the highest quality television shows of the last ~25 years— Grow up, if you want to post on a mature, adult forum.

Watch and see-- you are totally wrong— and Quinn Ewers’ move to OSU from the Texas HS state champions, a year early says you are wrong.

And it does not matter whether YOU think anybody on the current X team is worth throwing money at— do you think the guy who bought the specially outfitted Mercedes-Benz raised-roof “party van” just to drive it to X football games for the pre-game/post-game festivities would CARE about spending $5000-$10,000 to ensure that Brogan McCaughey chooses to STAY at St. X for his senior year— rather than, say, transferring to Moeller— where somebody like Barry Larkin might be offering him $25,000 to come over and be Moeller’s QB for his senior year? You are delusional, man— the gloves are OFF— and this is going to water people’s eyes, when it really gets going.

Last edited:
Not to mention business contracts with minors are not enforceable.
That’s both false— and irrelevant-- NO ONE is going to care if these contracts are “enforceable”—what is going to matter is WHO can put cash on the barrelhead (or as Rasheed Wallace famously used to say “Cut the check”) to get the best players into their school—and they are NOT going to care about what the kid actually does to “earn” the money—it’s NOT about earning the money— it’s about getting the best players into your school.

Just stop and think for a minute— nobody in Ohio is as rabid as Elder fans (except maybe Massillon’s)— do you honestly think that Kim Kreske (or whatever that big donor’s name is) is going to think twice about trying to ensure that the next great James family athlete from the West Side chooses to go to Elder over X? He’s going to pay big time for that— and all he has to do is say it’s an ad for his business.

Wow. I'd say those teams with the richest traditions like Moe, St X, St. Iggy, St Eds, etc
You got it— and also, they have the richest alumni, in aggregate.

X has a kid, only 35 years old, who was a state champion tennis player at X— he’s now worth somewhere between $5-$10 Billion— he’s got Les Wexner kind of money— and he 50 years younger— and He was an athlete at X, to boot (Wexner was NEVER an athlete)… Basically Vivek Ramaswamy could be to X what Phil Knight is going to be to the University of Oregon— you should expect Oregon to dominate recruiting of ”college“ athletes in coming years— and X could do the same of Ohio HS athletes— if Vivek decides to focus on it.

Also, the richest family in Cincinnati (now) is no longer the Lindners nor the Nipperts— it‘s the Farmers (as in Cintas)— and the Farmers sent their sons to X— so, there’s a possibility that we might see a Farmer Field at X someday— with a whole slew of Farmer-paid athletes performing on it.

That’s both false— and irrelevant-- NO ONE is going to care if these contracts are “enforceable”—what is going to matter is WHO can put cash on the barrelhead (or as Rasheed Wallace famously used to say “Cut the check”) to get the best players into their school—and they are NOT going to care about what the kid actually does to “earn” the money—it’s NOT about earning the money— it’s about getting the best players into your school.

Just stop and think for a minute— nobody in Ohio is as rabid as Elder fans (except maybe Massillon’s)— do you honestly think that Kim Kreske (or whatever that big donor’s name is) is going to think twice about trying to ensure that the next great James family athlete from the West Side chooses to go to Elder over X? He’s going to pay big time for that— and all he has to do is say it’s an ad for his business.
I’m not even thinking about Elder. Frankly, it would suck to just have X, Elder and Moeller winning titles bc they bought the best athletes. And frankly, I don’t think any of the admins at those schools want things to be that way. And don’t get me wrong, I don’t think any of those schools should only have Catholic Feeder kids playing for them. I just think about a school like Trinity in Louisville, who many years has ZERO competition in the state. Occasionally, Male or Ville X plays them tough, but how boring would it be to be that much better than everyone else? That can’t be any fun to know you’re going to put up a running clock in every game.

And you’re bringing up Ewers like he’s a normal athlete. We're talking about someone who is 1 in a million. He’s the absolute exception and even further, he didn’t really bolt for NIL $. He comes from Southlake where the median income is 250k. He wasn’t hurting for $. The real reason he bolted was to get to the NFL a year earlier. I’m betting he thinks he’s going to win the OSU starting QB job next yr, but doesn’t want to say that for fear of being seen as arrogant.

Last edited:
I’m not even thinking about Elder. Frankly, it would suck to just have X, Elder and Moeller winning titles bc they bought the best athletes. And frankly, I don’t think any of the admins at those schools want things to be that way.

And it does matter if those contracts are enforceable. If you pay a kid 5k to pay up for some kind of photo shoot and he doesn’t show, you have zero recourse to reclaim that $.

And you’re bringing up Ewers like he’s a normal athlete. We're talking about someone who is 1 in a million.
NO, it is NOT going to matter to the guy who wants that kid to play for Elder (or X or Moeller)— he just wants the kid to play— he really does NOT care whether he gets any actual promotional value out of the deal— so your scenario is just flatly wrong. Moreover, if the kid does not show, it is NOT true that the business owner can not sue to reclaim the money (if he even wanted to)— the kid does not have a license to steal, just because he is a minor. You have a trunkful of fallacious beliefs about this new scenario— most of which are demonstrably wrong.

For example, Ewers is NOT one in a million—in fact, there are probably Nearly a million like him— who are going to be able to earn substantial sums for their services— not as much as him— but still “YUGE” amounts compared to anything we’ve seen in the past— and EASILY enough to convince kids to switch (or choose) schools to get those payments. I think there are top athletes today that would easily switch schools for a new iPhone every year— but the going rate is GOING UP.

Finally, I agree with you that this New World Order will suck—and yes, I agree that the schools do not want it to be this way-- but you deal with the environment that you are placed in— it’s like Coach K choosing to recruit ”one and done” basketball players, after Calipari began to monopolize all the top talent— K had to adapt to the new lay of the land — much as it was distasteful to him.

NO, it is NOT going to matter to the guy who wants that kid to play for Elder (or X or Moeller)— he just wants the kid to play— he really does NOT care whether he gets any actual promotional value out of the deal— so your scenario is just flatly wrong. Moreover, if the kid does not show, it is NOT true that the business owner can not sue to reclaim the money (if he even wanted to)— the kid does not have a license to steal, just because he is a minor. You have a trunkful of fallacious beliefs about this new scenario— most of which are demonstrably wrong.

For example, Ewers is NOT one in a million—in fact, there are probably Nearly a million like him— who are going to be able to earn substantial sums for their services— not as much as him— but still “YUGE” amounts compared to anything we’ve seen in the past— and EASILY enough to convince kids to switch (or choose) schools to get those payments. I think there are top athletes today that would easily switch schools for a new iPhone every year— but the going rate is GOING UP.
It’s not stealing by law if you pay him and he doesn’t show up, bc he’s a minor and you should’ve never entered a contract with him.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this and it’s completely unnecessary. It’s not going to even impact college football as much as you believe once the NCAA digs in.

It’s not stealing by law if you pay him and he doesn’t show up, bc he’s a minor and you should’ve never entered a contract with him.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about this and it’s completely unnecessary. It’s not going to even impact college football as much as you believe once the NCAA digs in.
No chip on my shoulder-- I just think it was an unwise decision by the Supreme Court-- and it is going to upend all scholastic-based sports as we know it.

I see nutjob chicken little is spouting his BS over here as well. No escape!!!
Nothing productive to offer to any discussion-- as usual. The forum will be a better place when you don't participate.

Nothing productive to offer to any discussion-- as usual. The forum will be a better place when you don't participate.
Stick it where the sun don’t shine, idiot. If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them. Better yet, stop posting useless, stupid and flat out wrong sh-t.

Stick it where the sun don’t shine, idiot. If you don’t like my posts, don’t read them. Better yet, stop posting useless, stupid and flat out wrong sh-t.
Same to you-- only I generally don't tell you to stop posting your worthless complaining or resort to your juvenile profanity or name-calling (a particularly deviant behavioral defect of yours-- seeing as you're an out-of-touch, 50-something, has-been-- that kind of stuff is something one would expect from some 15-year old kid-- seems like you have some real anger management issues)-- I just look forward to the day when I don't see your inanity and asininity here any more.