2021 Southwestern Buckeye League

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta give Mullins a chance. Miracles don’t happen overnight. Talent comes and goes. 2 years ago if they had the 16 team field bellbrook would have gotten in. Look at Ross they were terrible when Commins got there. His 3rd year well the rest is history. I’m not saying Monroe will be as good as Ross but we’re not terrible. We beat a 6-3 elida team in the playoffs last year handily.

You gotta give Mullins a chance. Miracles don’t happen overnight. Talent comes and goes. 2 years ago if they had the 16 team field bellbrook would have gotten in. Look at Ross they were terrible when Commins got there. His 3rd year well the rest is history. I’m not saying Monroe will be as good as Ross but we’re not terrible. We beat a 6-3 elida team in the playoffs last year handily.
Time will tell. Heck, in league, Waynesville went from 1-9 to 9-1 in 2 seasons. The key to this thread is finding balance between confidence and reality. I think a problem with Monroe, beyond coaching and players, is that they are running an offense that over time people have gotten better at defending. It’s no longer something that catches people off guard.

Monroe has the same problem Milton used to have back before there were more than 2 per region picked to do to the playoffs. We beat Bellbrook 22-0 at Bellbrook, lost to Greenville in a monsoon, and Bellbrook make the D4 playoffs and we missed the D3 playoffs. 1981. MU has had that happen to 10-0 teams
Monroe is suffering from being big fish in a lot of ways. They are forced to win at least 5-6 per year vs these SWBL teams to gain enough points.

This is no slight to Monroe. Being in DIII, they're definitely at a disadvantage. They'll have to win games that I simply don't see them winning in order to make the playoffs. Maybe I went on the low side, but I think 4-6 playoff teams is pretty safe. Being the first year of 16 teams, there is a lot of unknowns. We'll see teams make the post season with losing records fairly often now, especially if they win the right games.

I asked this question Wed. afternoon and only got 1 response. " Can some one give me info on scrimmages. I have no one in particular to watch."

And why is that?
Only returning 38 rushing yards and 158 receiving on offense

No Deaton who could take it to the house at any time is a big loss. I don't see replacing his production.

No Jackson? I hear he is getting recruited for Lacrosse and dropping football

No Holler - All-League on both sides of the line

That’s really positive to think. You all act like Monroe is the only team with the hardest schedule. Talawanda is D2 which should be win they’re never any good. I don’t think Franklin will be as good as years past. I think we might be able to sneak out a win there.
Talawanda was 7-3 two years ago including a W over Badin.

3 yards and zero points return from that team that beat Elida though. Truly believe you are grossly underestimating how important the QB loss is for a triple-option team.

Only returning 38 rushing yards and 158 receiving on offense

No Deaton who could take it to the house at any time is a big loss. I don't see replacing his production.

No Jackson? I hear he is getting recruited for Lacrosse and dropping football

No Holler - All-League on both sides of the line
Monroe doesn’t have lacrosse. Jackson supposedly quit football because he didn’t like Mullins. That’s what I heard from Chandler Holler. Who cares if you don’t like the coach just go out and do your job.

This is no slight to Monroe. Being in DIII, they're definitely at a disadvantage. They'll have to win games that I simply don't see them winning in order to make the playoffs. Maybe I went on the low side, but I think 4-6 playoff teams is pretty safe. Being the first year of 16 teams, there is a lot of unknowns. We'll see teams make the post season with losing records fairly often now, especially if they win the right games.
It will be interesting to see how the 16 team field plays out. But never say never. Stranger things have happened.

I know how important it is but losing deaton isn’t the end of the world. Next man up
It’s not the end of the world but you’re arguing they are better than last year but losing literally every meaningful yard and point? Next man up yes, but this is Monroe where they don’t exactly reload. They rebuild. Deaton is probably the best athlete they’ve had since that 2005 team you mentioned and had so many not transferred from that class last year would have been that year.

Monroe doesn’t have lacrosse. Jackson supposedly quit football because he didn’t like Mullins. That’s what I heard from Chandler Holler. Who cares if you don’t like the coach just go out and do your job.
Monroe doesn’t but that doesn’t mean he can’t play for another school. OHSAA rules allow for it when the host school doesn’t have a team.

It will be interesting to see how the 16 team field plays out. But never say never. Stranger things have happened.
In a year where we're coming off of an extremely odd season, and expanded playoffs, I agree. It's also tough to really get a feel for the SWBL. Some of the better teams are breaking in new coaching staffs. There are several other teams that don't have a large following on Yappi. So I do agree that it could be a year we see some odd things take place. Seeing the 16 team playoffs will also help us all get a feel how many games it takes to make the playoffs.

I am confident in one thing heading into 2021. Bellbrook is the team to beat in the SWBL. Coaching staff consistency and returning good talent from a good season gives me that confidence. Outside of that, I have opinions, but if I am wrong, I wouldn't be surprised either.

In a year where we're coming off of an extremely odd season, and expanded playoffs, I agree. It's also tough to really get a feel for the SWBL. Some of the better teams are breaking in new coaching staffs. There are several other teams that don't have a large following on Yappi. So I do agree that it could be a year we see some odd things take place. Seeing the 16 team playoffs will also help us all get a feel how many games it takes to make the playoffs.

I am confident in one thing heading into 2021. Bellbrook is the team to beat in the SWBL. Coaching staff consistency and returning good talent from a good season gives me that confidence. Outside of that, I have opinions, but if I am wrong, I wouldn't be surprised either.
Are they looking to condense DI? Curious with just 18 teams per region as is.

I personally believe Monroe is still about 3 years away. They have a couple of decent size classes with some size and talent in 7-9 grade. The sophomore class is very small, but probably the best athlete on varsity this year will be a part of that class. If the community can be patient with Mullins, I could see them being pretty good in 2023. With that being said, Franklin and Valley View also have some pretty good groups coming through at that age.

I personally believe Monroe is still about 3 years away. They have a couple of decent size classes with some size and talent in 7-9 grade. The sophomore class is very small, but probably the best athlete on varsity this year will be a part of that class. If the community can be patient with Mullins, I could see them being pretty good in 2023. With that being said, Franklin and Valley View also have some pretty good groups coming through at that age.
Monroe needs to let that kid play QB THIS season and take their lumps if Mullins is going to be around. There is no substitute for experience running that offense.

It sounds like Valley View only has roughly 46 players out for the team this fall. Which a majority of the kids you would expect to play are out for the team, but those are low numbers for what VV is typically used to. I believe last year's team had 60 kids.

With the season being moved up a week, I was a little surprised to hear that teams started practice Sunday, but will have their first scrimmages by Friday/Saturday. That's a pretty quick turn around from no pads, to pads, to hitting, to playing. Here's hoping that teams can stay healthy and prepare for the season.

Any other updates out there?

It sounds like Valley View only has roughly 46 players out for the team this fall. Which a majority of the kids you would expect to play are out for the team, but those are low numbers for what VV is typically used to. I believe last year's team had 60 kids.

With the season being moved up a week, I was a little surprised to hear that teams started practice Sunday, but will have their first scrimmages by Friday/Saturday. That's a pretty quick turn around from no pads, to pads, to hitting, to playing. Here's hoping that teams can stay healthy and prepare for the season.

Any other updates out there?
Maybe be some of the kids don’t like the new coach?

Any update on the new Franklin coach and the team? Only thing I heard is no more wildcat prayer that was started by coach aregood and he trying change Franklin tradition up, from what I heard. Any truth to this?

Just curious did Brad Childers resign look for another job or did he get shoved out? They did pretty good under him just puzzling why they’d hop to a new coach in the middle of pretty good teams under him.

I
Any update on the new Franklin coach and the team? Only thing I heard is no more wildcat prayer that was started by coach aregood and he trying change Franklin tradition up, from what I heard. Any truth to this?
I eluded to this a month or so ago. Franklin is in turmoil, and there really isn’t much more to say. As you stated, traditions are being cast aside, and this isn’t sitting well. The administration is to blame for this debacle. Coach Cox is rumored to only be at the helm for a few years, and has been promised the AD job. I’ve greatly admired the program Coach Childers had built, and it’s truly sad where things are heading.

Just curious did Brad Childers resign look for another job or did he get shoved out? They did pretty good under him just puzzling why they’d hop to a new coach in the middle of pretty good teams under him.
From what I know. I think brad got shoved and from I heard he taking the year off. He the type of guy either you like him or not there really no middle ground.
I

I eluded to this a month or so ago. Franklin is in turmoil, and there really isn’t much more to say. As you stated, traditions are being cast aside, and this isn’t sitting well. The administration is to blame for this debacle. Coach Cox is rumored to only be at the helm for a few years, and has been promised the AD job. I’ve greatly admired the program Coach Childers had built, and it’s truly sad where things are heading.
Thank you. I’m not very happy with him taking the tradition away we are a small town that don’t have much besides football and I’d legends lol. I also heard he was a yes man and it was easy get rid of him for roberts in couple years vs Murphy. Hopefully this team does do well I’m under cox

I

Kinda sounds the same thing at VV since they only have 46 kids this year supposedly. It’s simple when a new coach comes in or administration or whatnot and start changing traditional things the kids are used to it makes one wonder if they want to play or not. Politics piss me off so bad. Same way at Monroe back when my dad played in the 70s as now. I’m a big Monroe fan but I’ve seen bad bad favoritism in football and basketball mainly. Don’t pay too much attention to baseball, softball, Soccer etc. I don’t like to hammer my school but Monroe is very very bad for political disruption in sports.

Kinda sounds the same thing at VV since they only have 46 kids this year supposedly. It’s simple when a new coach comes in or administration or whatnot and start changing traditional things the kids are used to it makes one wonder if they want to play or not. Politics piss me off so bad. Same way at Monroe back when my dad played in the 70s as now. I’m a big Monroe fan but I’ve seen bad bad favoritism in football and basketball mainly. Don’t pay too much attention to baseball, softball, Soccer etc. I don’t like to hammer my school but Monroe is very very bad for political disruption in sports.
I'm sure some of the lack of numbers at VV are due to the new coaching staff and how things played out with the previous staff. Numbers had started to dwindle at VV in past years. Even last year, 60 kids isn't a bad number, but it wasn't all that long ago VV would have 80-90 kids out for football. They used to be one of the few schools their size that could platoon an offense and a defense. Times change, kids change, and more changes in the staff, etc. In small towns, which most of the SWBL I would consider small towns, politics are unfortunately always involved. That seems to be just how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.