Let's Start A Good Thread. Best Concerts you've Ever Attended !

Smaller venue-Cody Jinks

Large venue-Anger Management Tour-Eminem, 50 Cent, Ludacris, and Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz
A close second would be Lynyrd Skynyrd with Hank Williams Jr. and .38 Special

Smaller venue-Cody Jinks

Large venue-Anger Management Tour-Eminem, 50 Cent, Ludacris, and Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz
A close second would be Lynyrd Skynyrd with Hank Williams Jr. and .38 Special

Wow .... would Love to See Luda

I did See 38 Special - Great Show

Wow .... would Love to See Luda

I did See 38 Special - Great Show

He was a lot better than I expected. I figured he would be one of those guys with a hype man jumping around rapping about half of the lyrics, but he had a lot more skill than I expected. Em, 50, and Luda were all outstanding. Show was about 5 hours long too, plenty of time for a lot of extracurriculars.

Best indoor was Paul McCartney a few years back at The Q.
Best outdoor was Def Lepard at Blossom when I was still in HS.
Most "unique" was seeing Bon Jovi open for .38 Special (this was just as Bon Jovi came onto the scene).
Oddest was a comedian as an opening act for Kool & The Gang. This was shortly after Don Rodgers of the Browns overdosed on cocaine, and the comedian asked if there were any Browns fans in attendance. Of course the place goes nuts, and he says "good, just wanted to know where I could score some coke after my show". The fans literally booed him off stage, I think his show lasted about 5 minutes total.

glQTyJVX.jpg

For millions of people around the world, weekends will feel a little less lively without Eddie Van Halen, who died of cancer this week at age 65. The virtuoso guitarist may not have been a model citizen, but he was a creative innovator who brought raucous joy to generations of fans.
The Journal’s Anne Steele writes that his life “epitomized both the aspirational American dream and the rough-and-tumble of rock ’n’ roll.” She adds:
A self-taught musician, Mr. Van Halen popularized the two-handed tapping technique of playing with both hands on the neck of the guitar. The style, which showcased how blindingly fast he could pick out a melody, helped make “Eruption” what is widely considered among the greatest guitar solos of all time. With his brother he formed the basis of Van Halen, the band that made hard rock’s comeback in the 1980s.
In a 2015 piece for Arizona State University’s Zocalo Public Square, Sarah Rothbard noted that Van Halen did not simply teach himself music, but also invented a new sound. As an immigrant of modest means, he often couldn’t afford the best equipment. According to Ms. Rothbard:
In between taking up guitar and becoming a star, there were “a lot of years of experimentation,” said Van Halen—taking apart guitars, opening up amplifiers, and getting electrocuted. Some of that was driven by necessity. But a lot of it was just his nature... Van Halen knew the sound he wanted to achieve, but he couldn’t find a guitar that could make it. So he got different parts from different guitar-makers, including Gibson and Fender, screwed and soldered and melted them together, and built the instrument he wanted.
He also learned to use his fingers to make sounds that others might seek to achieve through expensive technology. Ms. Rothbard recounted an interview with the rocker at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History in Washington. Van Halen talked about the lessons learned from his father, who was also a musician:
“You can learn from everybody,” said Van Halen—what to do and what not to do. Especially the latter. “If you make a mistake, do it twice, and smile,” he explained. That way, people will think you mean it. He shared a Dutch phrase of his father’s that translates into, “Just keep pedaling.”
The end result, as Kory Grow notes in Rolling Stone, was that Van Halen “helped make heavy metal fun”:
In the early-to-mid Seventies, heavy metal and hard rock were defined by the brooding dirges of Black Sabbath, the mysticism of Led Zeppelin, and the hard-driving hyper-masculinity of Deep Purple and Judas Priest. Van Halen made heavy metal you could dance to.
“With his distinct solos, Eddie Van Halen fueled the ultimate California party band,” observes Mark Kennedy of the Associated Press.
Steve Appleford writes in the Los Angeles Times:
With a road-battered guitar, lightning-quick fingers and a welcoming good-time grin, Eddie Van Halen and his band Van Halen may have been just what the 1970s needed.
Amid a sea of aging ’60s rock acts and forgettable radio fare, Van Halen brought a refreshing jolt of energy to the stage with his hard-rock hooks and wild guitar flash in the Jimi Hendrix tradition. By the time the decade had come to a close, he’d become as influential as any guitarist who came before.
In that 2015 interview at the Smithsonian, Van Halen was asked if he felt he was living the American dream. Ms. Rothbard notes his answer:
We came here with approximately $50 and a piano, and we didn’t speak the language, he said. Now look where we are. “If that’s not the American dream, what is?” he said.
During his visit to the museum he elaborated on what it means to live in the U.S.:
I’m very proud to be an American, for one. It’s freedom. And a country of opportunity where if you have a dream, a gift, a talent, and a passion—if you work your tail off, you still have the opportunity to achieve anything you want to achieve.

On second thought, in some ways he really was a model citizen.

Outside--Moody Blues at the Toledo Zoo. Very professional and hit every note. They still have it.

Inside--The Boss at the Schott

Most enjoyable--Sarah McLachlan at the Stranahan in Toledo. She came our suffering from the flu and put on a great solo show. Plus, she looks so damn goooooooodddddd!!!!

I saw Springsteen and Billy Joel in the mid to late 70s before either was well known at my little D3 college in Central Pennsylvania.

Indoors- Alice In Chains reunion tour in 2006 in Cleveland. Three hour set including a 45 minute acoustic section in the middle.

Outdoors- Ozzfest 2005

Best guitar solo- Alexi Laiho and Slash come to mind.

Best Frontman- Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden

Fall 76' was at Bowling Green Ball room to watch a relatively unknown performer named Billy Joel with about another 300 guests
In 78' i was in attendance at the World Series of Rock in old Cleveland Stadium. J Geils & Bob Segar
a BUNCH of different concerts in the ensuing years from Foreigner to ELO to Van Halen (RIP Eddie) to Metalica
My pinnacle concert would have to be Pink Floyd in the old Silver Dome i Detroit the ear Floyd was finally allowed to pla Dark Side of the moon, st time since the 70's

One of many that come to mind...

1987 outdoor festival called the Champaign Jam "Champaign county" Stevie Ray Vaughn.
It was general admission and I had planned all day through the other bands to be front row for Stevie. I scouted my path, made sure I didn't drink too much, empty bladder (this had great befits as my ex girlfriends boyfriend had passed out).
I had a 6 pack of Ice cold buds in my satellite cooler and my last doobie in with my smokes. Before the pervious band was done I started making my move to the front often pretending to wave at a "buddy who was holding my fake spot".... I finally made it front row center and grabbed a Budweiser... as soon as Stevie started I fired up my doobie only to have security make me hand it over, then he hit it and handed it back...I knew it was going to be a great show!

This is the closest I could find, down to the shirt, hat, boots and guitar. Very intense performer, they guy was literally flinging sweat on me . A few weeks later in Nashville.
Thanks for the great show, fly on my friend... which is at the 27 min. mark...

Last edited:
My fav place is country concert at hickory hill ft LORAMie ohio.
Enter/exit all you want. Bring in your own coolers, absolutely a great 3± plays

KISS concert this September got pushed to next September

If you're playing this song watch your speed because the ending will have metal to the peddle!

When I got my first car, "You Get What You Play For" was the first cassette. Sanyo receiver and Jenson Triaxle speakers Pioneer 120 watt power amp. Beat up '67 Nova worth $150 and holes in the floorboard with $1500 stereo.
I wore that song out!!!!
Flying Turkey Trot is also jammin'!
That entire album rocks from beginning to end.

GNR September '21 in Cbus. Not what they once were but so awesome to see them again after 30 years.

My fav place is country concert at hickory hill ft LORAMie ohio.
Enter/exit all you want. Bring in your own coolers, absolutely a great 3± plays

KISS concert this September got pushed to next September
and that September date got pushed to October 2021, then pushed to May 2022!!!!

Saw Guns and Roses 3 times....first back in the 90s in Cincy when they didnt get on stage until like 11 or midnight.
Deal was I could go but couldnt miss school the next day. Got home in time for school! Of course...no cell phones so many a parent was wondering why we all werent back until 5am!

Been on the Road a lot last few days ........ caught myself Jamming "Houses of the Holy"

began wondering ...... Has anyone seen Led Zeppelin Live ? I wish ... I bet that was a Great Show ..... Anyone ?

Indoor: Tool - Hara Arena back in the day when Maynard was front and center.....

I have had the pleasure of seeing a ton of great shows over the years and some I have totally forgot about. The best places for me to see shows was the Newport Music Hall in Columbus and Hara Arena in Dayton. Saw many bands before they got big....

Outdoor: Black Sabbath

In the Round: I don't know what this is.....

Best Guitar solo..... tough one... Eddie Van Halen, George Lynch, Toni Iommi

Drum Solo.... Tool..... The human octopus Danny Carey.

Bands I want to see.... Gojira,

Indoor
Tool

Outdoor
Ozzfest, Lollapalooza or single band, Pantara

Drum Solo

The Bands your Still wan to See or Wish you Did Before they Got Old !

Does dead count? Nirvana.

Wow, very similar to what I put.... but hey, I actually got to see Nirvana and they were GREAT!!!!! With Nirvana you had no idea what Curt Cobain you were going to get.

I missed REO ... but did see ASIA - I went not expecting much and was Shocked was a Great Show

Did anyone make it to see Jethro Tull ? that's one I wish I had gone to

I have seen Jethro Tull but he insisted on playing newer stuff instead of the classics. He did play a couple but most of the tracks I had never heard of. That must of been back in the 90's I saw him.

A follow up to my original post are two of my first.
indoor Cincinnati Gardens Thanksgiving Night 1973 my first concert ever—ELP’s Brain Salad Surgery Tour. Fantastic! Seniors in my study hall prior to the show told me about how cool the cloud of smoke was when the concert started. I thought they were talking about special affects. LMAO yea it was special affects alright. It was from practically the whole crowd lighting up a joint when the lights went out.
My first outdoor concert was in June 1975 at Cleveland Stadium. It was Tower of Power, J. Geils openning for The Rolling Stones. The party at the stadium the night before was as memorable as the concert itself. It was a great weekend. ?