The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

good job blotto, the burrito, and the carrot. most importantly the vlad (not sure what racist name zeeboy has for him) turning in winning performances.

jtk
()

The Reds open today 7 games back of the Brewers, and 6 games back of the 2nd wildcard. So with about 62 games remaining, the odds of making playoffs get slimmer each day. Seeing as the Dodgers, Giants and Padres are all from the same division and play each other quite a bit the rest of the way, there may be a better chance of catching the 2nd wild card team than winning the division. With only 3 games remaining against Milwaukee, going to be difficult to catch them.

That said, Reds fans should be very encouraged with the resurgence of Joseph Daniel Votto. He's looking like the Joey from early in the 2010's. This is especially important because the elephant in the room the last few years has been what were the Reds going to do with the last few years of Joey's contract? Like Ryan Howard of the Phillies, he became a part time player in Philly and they ended up eating the end of his deal. It certainly looked like the Reds were going to have to do the same with Votto. He's at least extended that decision out for another season, hopefully more. He is flourishing under the new philosophy of taking less pitches and trying to drive the ball more. And he's been on this latest tear with Nick Castellenos out of the lineup.

So regardless of how the season finishes up, keep watching Votto's progression. Also, keep an eye on Vladimir Gutierrez. He had an incredible outing last night. One that really can push him into talks of staying in the rotation next season. I think between Castillo, Gray and Mahle, one will not be with the Reds next season. With Lodolo and Greene waiting in the wings, room in the rotation, and some salary may need to get pared going into the future.
Don't put all your eggs into the 2021 basket. This team is building for the future while trying to win now. Young guys like Stephenson, India and Winker, and with the young arms coming make this a team to continue to follow in the years to come.

Reds making some moves to add to the bullpen. Reds pick up RHP Luis Cessa and lefty Justin Wilson from the Yankees, and are close to adding Mychal Givins from the Rockies.

So let me ask you another question, salaries completely out of the question, is Joey Votto the best first baseman the Reds can put on the field, or is he at first base because we still owe him alot of money?
If I had time I could go back and find more posts from you, Vamps, Zeeyore and Omar saying Votto is washed up. I told y'all months ago the man keeps himself in shape and he would have a bounce back year.

Keep in mind he missed over a month with a broken thumb, and his numbers (17 HR, 53 RBI, 70 R) are in only 72 games, way less than half a season.

The Reds open today 7 games back of the Brewers, and 6 games back of the 2nd wildcard. So with about 62 games remaining, the odds of making playoffs get slimmer each day. Seeing as the Dodgers, Giants and Padres are all from the same division and play each other quite a bit the rest of the way, there may be a better chance of catching the 2nd wild card team than winning the division. With only 3 games remaining against Milwaukee, going to be difficult to catch them.
Agreed. But I do see that Milwaukee has 7 games against the Giants next month, so hopefully SF can keep winning. Brewers also have a whopping 13 games against St Louis the rest of the way, so we will need to be rooting for the Cards, which will feel weird.

It's kind of seems like Nick Krall has been waiting for approval from Castellini to acquire bullpen help for awhile now, and last night he finally got it. Then Krall goes and gets three relievers in twelve hours. Finally

If I had time I could go back and find more posts from you, Vamps, Zeeyore and Omar saying Votto is washed up. I told y'all months ago the man keeps himself in shape and he would have a bounce back year.

Keep in mind he missed over a month with a broken thumb, and his numbers (17 HR, 53 RBI, 70 R) are in only 72 games, way less than half a season.
I think you are taking at least my post out of context somewhat. If I recall, the debate was weather you play the best player at a position, or does their salary have something to do with playing time.
Now I'm as big of Votto fan as there is, but I also know what we've been seeing the last 2+ years. He's a completely different Votto than he was in 18-19 & 20. And I'm thrilled about it! This I think at least gives us some hope that Joey can fulfill his contract with the Reds.

Agreed. But I do see that Milwaukee has 7 games against the Giants next month, so hopefully SF can keep winning. Brewers also have a whopping 13 games against St Louis the rest of the way, so we will need to be rooting for the Cards, which will feel weird.
The Cardinals are only a game behind us, so if they can get the best of the Brewers, they'll be nipping at our heels.

The Cardinals are only a game behind us, so if they can get the best of the Brewers, they'll be nipping at our heels.
The hope is that the Cardinals dominate the Brewers and lose most of the rest of their games. Yes, I realize that is unrealistic. If Flaherty and Mikolas come back, the Cards are dangerous and not out of the race. But their September schedule is brutal. 7 games against LA and SD, 10 against Brewers, plus series against the Mets, Cubs and Reds.

I'd consider a trade of Castillo, Suarez and a decent prospect for Scherzer, Turner and Hand along with some cash.
So you want to absolutely mortgage the future for this year? I respectfully disagree. Max and Hand would be gone after 2 month rental - 100% sure.

Is Turner even on the block? Every team in baseball would want him. He has 1 more Arb year.

By the way, Castillo has been much better than Scherzer the last two months. And he's healthy, Scherzer has missed some starts.

So you want to absolutely mortgage the future for this year? I respectfully disagree. Max and Hand would be gone after 2 month rental - 100% sure.

Is Turner even on the block? Every team in baseball would want him. He has 1 more Arb year.

By the way, Castillo has been much better than Scherzer the last two months. And he's healthy, Scherzer has missed some starts.
But they would get your potential MVP in the deal ?? They couldn’t pass on burrito boy

Well, the Brewers added the big bat / corner infielder they needed, Eduardo Escobar from Arizona. Smart move. Really hard to see them faltering too much with that pitching staff.

I don't see it as mortgaging the future. The Reds have depth at SP and 3B for at least 2 more seasons.

The Nats have said everyone except Juan Soto is available.

Scherzer could replace Castillo this season and Turner would be here for next season as well. Brad Hand would certainly help the pen this year.

The hope is that the Cardinals dominate the Brewers and lose most of the rest of their games. Yes, I realize that is unrealistic. If Flaherty and Mikolas come back, the Cards are dangerous and not out of the race. But their September schedule is brutal. 7 games against LA and SD, 10 against Brewers, plus series against the Mets, Cubs and Reds.
I still say for the most part the Brewers have played above their level this season. Their bullpen is phenominal, but their daily lineup and rotation isn't great. Devin Williams has not pitched since July 11, he's their two headed monster with Josh Hader. Not sure what is status is but they'll need him down the stretch.
The Reds have a puncher's chance. The bullpen additions make it very possible that the Reds can finally close out games like you should. Now the offense needs to be more consistent and I just hope at some point Bell starts trying to manufacture runs. Bunt is not a four letter word.

I've lost some faith in Major league baseball today. For Javier Baez, there is no suspension for his antics the other night. There is only a fine.

Well, this is a first offense? Nope. Baez leapt over the railing and instigated a bench clearing brawl just earlier this year.

In this instance, there was no bench clearing brawl? Really? So you have to have a fight to issue discipine?

Baseball has been clear in that the players can celebrate accomplishment, bat flips, emotion WITH and FOR their teammates. Baez did nothing of the sort. He mouthed to Garrett as he got the plate, then walked slowly after his hit mothing, rowing a boat and then flipping the bat at the feet of Garrett?? What's that??

I've lost some faith in Major league baseball today. For Javier Baez, there is no suspension for his antics the other night. There is only a fine.

Well, this is a first offense? Nope. Baez leapt over the railing and instigated a bench clearing brawl just earlier this year.

In this instance, there was no bench clearing brawl? Really? So you have to have a fight to issue discipine?

Baseball has been clear in that the players can celebrate accomplishment, bat flips, emotion WITH and FOR their teammates. Baez did nothing of the sort. He mouthed to Garrett as he got the plate, then walked slowly after his hit mothing, rowing a boat and then flipping the bat at the feet of Garrett?? What's that??
Your primary mistake was ever having faith in the MLB management. They don't do very much right. Scheduling, marketing / social media, negotiations with the players union, dealing with bad/rogue umpires - they botch everything. Why would they get player discipline right?

Think about this trade deadline deal: The Reds get the SS they need and it is Baez. Cubs will definitely sell off some parts (Bryant, Baez, Kimbrel all being shopped). Reds certainly could use Baez and Kimbrel. But the locker room dynamic just would not work.

Joey Votto is insane right now, that's 8 home runs in 6 games, 5 in 3 games, and he's still got 3+ at bats today.

Jose Barrero is tearing up AAA, bring him up to play SS, move Farmer to third and bench burrito boy
As much as you'd like it, they are not going to bench a guy making $10.7 mill this season, and $11 mill the next 3 seasons. You may as well go out and buy your Suarez jersey. He's not going anywhere.