The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

It’s crazy how Bell keeps running him out there. Put Farmer at third and Barrero at SS. Senzel and Suarez have been major busts and need to be traded or outright released.
There’s no trade mkt for either. Senzel could be good if he wasn’t made of glass.

They should have addressed this before the season. They let Disco, Bradley and Iglesias go. Not that Iglesias was all that great but he’s light years better than the trash they have now.
That’s correct, they f’d up in the offseason but there’s not much they can do to fix it now.

He absolutely does. This isn’t a slump, it’s a new equilibrium
Lopez is in Louisville. I would be surprised if Suarez is in the lineup tonight. he's really struggling again. I look for Freeman to play 3rd or Farmer and Freeman at short.
I feel really bad for Geno, he's such a good guy and it's been such a struggle for him.

Lopez is in Louisville. I would be surprised if Suarez is in the lineup tonight. he's really struggling again. I look for Freeman to play 3rd or Farmer and Freeman at short.
I feel really bad for Geno, he's such a good guy and it's been such a struggle for him.
I do feel bad for him, but he’s hurting the team.

I know I have been Suarez' biggest defender, and I typically defend him with real stats. Even with just the 'eye test' his at bats have been more patient, taking a lot of walks and going to the opposite field more. Looked like he was getting back on track.

But the last 3 games he has been awful, back to being jumpy and over-eager, swinging hard at bad pitches. Leaving all those guys on base last night was terrible. He needs to sit a few games, calm down, see a sport therapist person, whatever. Good hitters don't just become bad hitters, it has to be 95% mental.

But all the offense in the world won't help if we give up 15 runs and 7 HR. That was an abortion last night. The Mets put on a clown show the first 2 innings and handed the Reds 7 runs but Gutierrez and the pen just gave it up. Beyond frustrating. Gonna skip the next few games...

They should have addressed this before the season. They let Disco, Bradley and Iglesias go. Not that Iglesias was all that great but he’s light years better than the trash they have now.
The Reds have used 19 different relief pitchers this season. Between injuries and ineffectiveness, it is was it is. Now I know we all think these baseball teams have endless supplies of money, but they don't. They are a business just like the corner grocery. You pay your employees more than what you make selling groceries and that's a bad business model. Iglesias was very expensive for what he brought to the team. In fact, I think he was due $9 mill this season, and I think if you take the combined pay of the current bullpen and even a few more, it would be under $9 mill.

I know I have been Suarez' biggest defender, and I typically defend him with real stats. Even with just the 'eye test' his at bats have been more patient, taking a lot of walks and going to the opposite field more. Looked like he was getting back on track.

But the last 3 games he has been awful, back to being jumpy and over-eager, swinging hard at bad pitches. Leaving all those guys on base last night was terrible. He needs to sit a few games, calm down, see a sport therapist person, whatever. Good hitters don't just become bad hitters, it has to be 95% mental.

But all the offense in the world won't help if we give up 15 runs and 7 HR. That was an abortion last night. The Mets put on a clown show the first 2 innings and handed the Reds 7 runs but Gutierrez and the pen just gave it up. Beyond frustrating. Gonna skip the next few games...
This teams just seems to be in a rut where what we do just isn't enough. Sunday, the Brewers could have scored a run and beat us, they didn't need 8. And last night we score 11 and lose. Votto hits one that was a foot from being a homer in the 8th.
This team has some good baseball in it still, just has to be more consistent.

I realize Geno has struggled and disappointed, but there is no way you're going to sit a guy who's making $10.5 mill this season, $11 mill in '22, '23 and '24. That just simply is not an option, and you're not going to cut him. He's owed the money.

So you’re a quitter?

The Reds have used 19 different relief pitchers this season. Between injuries and ineffectiveness, it is was it is. Now I know we all think these baseball teams have endless supplies of money, but they don't. They are a business just like the corner grocery. You pay your employees more than what you make selling groceries and that's a bad business model. Iglesias was very expensive for what he brought to the team. In fact, I think he was due $9 mill this season, and I think if you take the combined pay of the current bullpen and even a few more, it would be under $9 mill.
Well that’s because they suck

I realize Geno has struggled and disappointed, but there is no way you're going to sit a guy who's making $10.5 mill this season, $11 mill in '22, '23 and '24. That just simply is not an option, and you're not going to cut him. He's owed the money.
At some point he has to sit or the fans will go crazy. I don’t care what he makes, the Reds are still paying Griffey for that boondoggle, when are they going to realize long term contracts suck

Yep - total Reds bullpen total salary is $5.8M this year. Only the Rays, Orioles and Blue Jays are spending less on their pen. Only Garrett, Doolittle and Hembree are $1M plus.

FWIW it is worth the Cubs bullpen salaries total $22M, Cards $18M, and Brewers $11M. Amazingly, the Mets pen is $40M and Dodgers are $54M! Crazy imbalance.

Reds went cheap in that area and it is killing them. Nice to see Garrett get it done the last couple days. Need about 10 more outings in a row like that.

Yep - total Reds bullpen total salary is $5.8M this year. Only the Rays, Orioles and Blue Jays are spending less on their pen. Only Garrett, Doolittle and Hembree are $1M plus.

FWIW it is worth the Cubs bullpen salaries total $22M, Cards $18M, and Brewers $11M. Amazingly, the Mets pen is $40M and Dodgers are $54M! Crazy imbalance.

Reds went cheap in that area and it is killing them. Nice to see Garrett get it done the last couple days. Need about 10 more outings in a row like that.
The Reds traded Josh VanMeter and Stuart Fairchild (#11prospect) for 6 games of Archie Bradley then released him to save $4M.

The Reds will lose more than $4M in revenue due to poor attendance after the sell off begins. Bradley could have kept them in the race over the first 4 months of the season. Short sighted, terrible business decisions instead of baseball decisions is why this organization doesn't win consistently.

I"m glad you posted the bullpen salaries. It seems like most Reds fans feel there is this endless supply of money, which there may be, there may not be. And that really shouldn't be a concern of fans. As we know in baseball, what you make has little to do with your current or future value or potential of success.
Seeing that the Reds have put little resources in the bullpen, we really shouldn't be too surprised in their struggles, and that with the revolving door of arms that's gone trough. And also two of our most expensive relief pitchers have not contributed as much as expected. I think against a team like the Mets, Amir is going to have better chance because they don't see him often. Teams in our division see him alot and know the deal. He's a guy who really relies on guys chasing his slider out of the strike zone. He struggles to spot his fastball and it's not overpowering. He's a two pitch pitcher and struggles with command. But yes, he needs to be good for us to have a chance.

Going to a 6-man rotation so that Hoffman gets to start is exactly the same as surrendering. WTF is Ding-a-ling doing?

Through 4 innings, Hoffman has allowed 7 hits, 3 walks, 2 HRs, 5 runs. Nice. 82 pitches only 44 strikes. Flat out terrible.

I'd be curious who's ultimate decision it was to start Hoffman today? It's not a money issue as Hoffman is making the major league minimum. Vlad Gutierrez was doing ok, not great, but not terrible. I just don't get it. Now I'm not sure if it's a 6 man rotation, Gutierrez was sent down so they only have 5 starters on the current roster so it may have been more of a manipulation of the bullpen to get another arm up, but Hoffman was more than bad today. That said, the offense has all of 1 hit today too.

The Mets have to be laughing at the Reds today. They basically "gave away" yesterday's game and only lost 4-3. They had a bullpen day and the starter pulled up lame in the 2nd inning. So what does their starter do today, Marcus Stroman, 1 hit through 8 innings and only 90 pitches. Most of our starters have 90 pitches by the 6th inning.
Our franchise from top to bottom needs to toughen up. We are too wishy washy, placate too much to the players.
And David Bell after today's game will give his normal bland post game presser and seem like we have 6 months left in the season.

Everyone fell in love with Gutierrez after his first two starts, but to be clear, he is only marginally better than Hoffman (4.97 ERA vs. 5.20, 1.47 WHIP vs. 1.67 - atrocious). Neither is very good. But Gutierrez shows more guts / potential IMO.

But Gutierrez pitched Monday, Hoffman was inserted into what should have been Mahle's start today. Makes no sense at all. Having said that, the Reds got 1 damn hit today, so they could have let me pitch. Not gonna win getting 1 hit.

Everyone fell in love with Gutierrez after his first two starts, but to be clear, he is only marginally better than Hoffman (4.97 ERA vs. 5.20, 1.47 WHIP vs. 1.67 - atrocious). Neither is very good. But Gutierrez shows more guts / potential IMO.

But Gutierrez pitched Monday, Hoffman was inserted into what should have been Mahle's start today. Makes no sense at all. Having said that, the Reds got 1 damn hit today, so they could have let me pitch. Not gonna win getting 1 hit.
I'm wondering if there is some kind of minor injury that the team isn't disclosing. Why the urgency to pitch Hoffman today? Put him in the pen. He would be pitching in a day or so. I just don't get it.

there is. castellanos out for a bit more than they thought. lol. not only does the pen suck, but they have people hurt at an alarming rate.

jtk
()

I'm wondering if there is some kind of minor injury that the team isn't disclosing. Why the urgency to pitch Hoffman today? Put him in the pen. He would be pitching in a day or so. I just don't get it.
They are preparing to trade Miley.

They are preparing to trade Miley.
Probably true - he has the most value right now for a contender, and sadly we have to admit the Reds are not a contender. I have to take back all the bad things I said about Miley before the season. In a hitter's park he has been a very good and consistent starter for the Reds. Much better than his career numbers. The man just knows how to pitch, instead of just throwing.

there is. castellanos out for a bit more than they thought. lol. not only does the pen suck, but they have people hurt at an alarming rate.

jtk
()
Christ. Worst part is the timing, at the trade deadline, so his value goes down if the Reds wanted to deal him. Hopefully he can get back on the field by next Tues/Weds and show he is healthy.

The Reds are 6 back of the WC with pretty favorable schedule over the last 2 months. Are there moves that can be made to still contend but also add young talent?

Christ. Worst part is the timing, at the trade deadline, so his value goes down if the Reds wanted to deal him. Hopefully he can get back on the field by next Tues/Weds and show he is healthy.
Castellanos out with a broken wrist.... looks like a comp pick next year.