Northwest Ohio Realignment

Isn't though their an indicator on the ODE report card for each school where schools get graded by the % of their their students that take AP courses or the # of AP courses offered?

The "College Readiness" metric is determined by amount of students who take an AP test (notice...not pass), and any student who receives a College Prep level ACT/SAT score. Reasons why many schools just offer every AP exam they can now isn't because they think their students can pass, but simply because it is an easy way to game that grade.

CCP, the gift that somehow takes from all stakeholders involved lol

As for the rest of your post, just a big fat yes. Also, you think College Board has been scurrying around for any monetization they can so far? Wait until more schools start going test optional...then they're going to be hawking AP test prep courses and even more options here shortly.
its taxpayer funded college and the requirements to qualify from the state are joke. You can even start in 7th grade. It definitely been watered down and not all schools take the credits from other schools for the classes taken in HS, there is a lot to it and people just think free college.

I am not even sold on these CCP courses like some aren't sold on AP. Some of the people teaching them don't give much effort, and some were able to get the certification through some watered down online program (online masters). higher ed is so watered down to make money. Some of these online programs for continuing education are a joke.

Its the McDonaldization of higher ed. Same is happening in healthcare

Last edited:
"certification" I wouldn't be so foolish as to call out something scbuckeye99 recalls as fact but I don't recall any certifcation being "mandatory." Maybe the school or district required their teachers take the AP training course (paid for)? But I do not think CollegeBoard ever mandated anyone taking, let alone passing some requirement before they would let a school call some course "AP," so students could take their test.

A teacher could use any text or resources they wanted and never had to touch anything supplied by CB. There is no mandate to use AP materials when teaching an AP course. BUT if you want to teach to the test......
The "College Readiness" metric is determined by amount of students who take an AP test (notice...not pass), and any student who receives a College Prep level ACT/SAT score. Reasons why many schools just offer every AP exam they can now isn't because they think their students can pass, but simply because it is an easy way to game that grade.

and wanna bet who "lobbied" to get that on the report card? Cha-ching. Not to call out anyone particular but a quick look at some resumes of ODE people in charge of developing curriculum isn't saying to me, state's best and most diversely (or otherwise) experienced. I've no idea how or who had to be known to get those jobs. An independent agency is really needed to spy out these "educational conferences" and see who is buying the drinks.

This just in: AP has put out a new course: "Athletic Conference Development and Alignment." Must of saw a potential new revenue stream.

Last edited:
"certification" I wouldn't be so foolish as to call out something scbuckeye99 recalls as fact but I don't recall any certifcation being "mandatory." Maybe the school or district required their teachers take the AP training course (paid for)? But I do not think CollegeBoard ever mandated anyone taking, let alone passing some requirement before they would let a school call some course "AP," so students could take their test.

A teacher could use any text or resources they wanted and never had to touch anything supplied by CB. There is no mandate to use AP materials when teaching an AP course. BUT if you want to teach to the test......

and wanna bet who "lobbied" to get that on the report card? Cha-ching. Not to call out anyone particular but a quick look at some resumes of ODE people in charge of developing curriculum isn't saying to me, state's best and most diversely (or otherwise) experienced. I've no idea how or who had to be known to get those jobs. An independent agency is really needed to spy out these "educational conferences" and see who is buying the drinks.

This just in: AP has put out a new course: "Athletic Conference Development and Alignment." Must of saw a potential new revenue stream.
Oh man, it isn't even a hard "connect the dots" there...when the former Governor is so wrapped up in College Board, Kaplan, and WhiteHat Education that he'd make a mummy jealous, you know you're going to have some fun educational policies.

CCP is hilarious to me...you force the school districts to pay a student's tuition and books for a college course when there are perfectly good high school and junior high courses they could take (the old PSEO program was only for students who had exhausted their curriculum at the high school level), but you force the college to reduce the tuition cost for the student. Essentially, you're stealing money from BOTH arms of that transaction, you're cutting direct subsidies from the state budget to both of those entities, and then you complain about how much each of those entities are getting into deficit budgeting because of it. There are school districts around here that have basically had a $500,000-$1,000,000 line item dumped on their operating budgets every year from CCP that they can't just get rid of...reason #1 as to why there have been more levies in the past 4 years than really any time before. Just wonderful politicking if I do say so myself.

Last edited:
its taxpayer funded college and the requirements to qualify from the state are joke. You can even start in 7th grade. It definitely been watered down and not all schools take the credits from other schools for the classes taken in HS, there is a lot to it and people just think free college.

I am not even sold on these CCP courses like some aren't sold on AP. Some of the people teaching them don't give much effort, and some were able to get the certification through some watered down online program (online masters). higher ed is so watered down to make money. Some of these online programs for continuing education are a joke.

I completely agree with your post, but a minor correction from someone who has to deal with it daily. The bolded is only partially true...all public high schools/school districts are REQUIRED to allow their students to take any "Level 1" course [a course on the Ohio Transfer Assessment Guide, meaning every public institution MUST give credit for the course]. That means students can take a course in Physics or Calculus at Rhodes State Community College that then MUST be taken for credit at Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc...two guesses on if that course has similar rigor and provides similar preparation to students moving forward in an engineering curriculum at those schools. Also, the state doesn't dictate entry requirements, each institution dictates ones themselves...so there are some schools who don't even require a placement test/ACT for reference and just have kids walking into courses they aren't prepared for (mostly the struggling community colleges who see it as a quick buck and don't really worry about the student outcomes).

I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people who flunk out of places with an obscene amount of CCP courses from community colleges or taught by high school teachers with "expertise" in the area. Don't get me started on the parents who have their 7th graders taking a College Composition class because they figure it's easier to just get free credit...that C, D, or F on the transcript doesn't go away, so good luck getting into any reputable University with a 2.3 College GPA. That wonderful inflated GPA at High School A means nothing when you have college course grades for reference now...

AP and CCP classes serve a purpose if they are used for the right reason. Say I'm an engineering major......does it really matter if I filled my core class requirements with APUSH that I took in high school or a history class I paid to take in college.....it doesn't matter one bit. Now....I may not want to use my AP Calculus class to get me get out of Cal 1 because I need to make sure my foundation is strong to set me up for my engineering classes. If a student can leverage those HS credits into shortening their time at a university.....that is real value to the student and family.

Liberal arts colleges like many of the higher academic institutions would argue about well rounded scholars....blah blah blah. I can tell you that the US History/Meteorology/American Studies classes had very little impact on me getting my business degree 30 years ago.....and very little value in my career during the time since. So maybe those gen ed classes would be a little more rigorous in a college setting vs high school(the HS classes are a full year vs a semester in college, so who knows) but does it really matter?

My son....who is/was a good student.....is at a school that gives credit for AP classes. He is hopeful to graduate in 3 years due to the being able to take advantage of those classes. He is taking all of the classes every other student takes for his major but is able to skip some of the gen ed classes and saves 20k in the process.....that actually seems like a good situation.

Many CC+ classes have been watered down. My son took a CC+ class..several actually...in history and sociology and there were no papers required. I never took a college class without some sort of paper.

I teach a CCP course at my high school through BGSU. We are matched up with a full time facility member who looks over our canvas page, syllabus and makes a classroom visit. I am not an idiot, so I get a thumbs up and teach my class however I want, I am not sure what BGSU would do if the class was designed poorly or I clearly was not holding them to a “college” level of performance.
side note, my HS does only give me a semester to teach the course, as opposed to students taking standard HS history that would get the whole year.

1) Ohio Transfer Assessment Guide, meaning every public institution MUST give credit for the course]. That means students can take a course in Physics or Calculus at Rhodes State Community College that then MUST be taken for credit at Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc...

2) I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people who flunk out of places with an obscene amount of CCP courses from community colleges or taught by high school teachers with "expertise" in the area.
1) Well truth told, State does provide 3 or 4 (~cough~ really tough ~cough~) questions (AHEAD OF TIME) that must be put on the Final Exam to make sure the educations at all state institutions were equitable.

2) Yeah but, that teacher took a mandated training at the university so they must be up to snuff. Lol, I know teachers teaching those courses AT the university and still, the Universities were going to get their cut by making those teachers take the training if they want to qualify to teach that exact same course at the high school.

cha ching.

I teach a CCP course at my high school through BGSU. We are matched up with a full time facility member who looks over our canvas page, syllabus and makes a classroom visit. I am not an idiot, so I get a thumbs up and teach my class however I want, I am not sure what BGSU would do if the class was designed poorly or I clearly was not holding them to a “college” level of performance.
side note, my HS does only give me a semester to teach the course, as opposed to students taking standard HS history that would get the whole year.

That's not the high school's NOR the University's decision. State decides that, I'm ALMOST sure.

That was the first objections raised, the shorter time. But once the teachers realized they would be done at the same time as the University course, in early May instead of June, freeing them up a period, I bet that decision didn't sting quite so much now did it? :)

A solid high school course is much better than its university equivalent. Also to consider, a kid taking and getting an A in that high school course is probably more advanced than a kid having to take its equivalent at an older spot in their lives.

Many CC+ classes have been watered down. My son took a CC+ class..several actually...in history and sociology and there were no papers required. I never took a college class without some sort of paper.

I had to work extra hours in the kitchen to pay for those papers.

Back to football for a second. :D

Not seeing any SJJ or Central kids on the rosters for today's all-star game. No Rogers or Scott either. That's disappointing. Anyhow, looks like the weather is done being stupid, it's going to be a great game as always.

My only 2 cents on the AP discussion.

I took and passed the AP World History test and received credit at OSU. I also took AP Calculus, struggled, wisely didn't take the test, and tested right back into it at OSU. Was also told my honors/AP that in HS were on a 5 point scale were adjusted to 4 point, so my 3.9 HS GPA was likely closer to 3.6-3.7 to colleges. Combined with a 29 ACT I was still in good shape, and would have been with or without honors/AP.

Outside of that one credit though, I saw no real advantage to AP. Bad teachers still will leave you in a bad spot, best to have a good teacher in a "normal" class. Standardized testing is honestly the worst thing to happen to education. Who cares if you can memorize facts, test well, then forget them. It's the life lessons and long term retention that matters. I learned more in a class that gave minimal homework and no tests than anywhere else.

I completely agree with your post, but a minor correction from someone who has to deal with it daily. The bolded is only partially true...all public high schools/school districts are REQUIRED to allow their students to take any "Level 1" course [a course on the Ohio Transfer Assessment Guide, meaning every public institution MUST give credit for the course]. That means students can take a course in Physics or Calculus at Rhodes State Community College that then MUST be taken for credit at Ohio State, Cincinnati, Toledo, etc...two guesses on if that course has similar rigor and provides similar preparation to students moving forward in an engineering curriculum at those schools. Also, the state doesn't dictate entry requirements, each institution dictates ones themselves...so there are some schools who don't even require a placement test/ACT for reference and just have kids walking into courses they aren't prepared for (mostly the struggling community colleges who see it as a quick buck and don't really worry about the student outcomes).

I can't even begin to tell you the amount of people who flunk out of places with an obscene amount of CCP courses from community colleges or taught by high school teachers with "expertise" in the area. Don't get me started on the parents who have their 7th graders taking a College Composition class because they figure it's easier to just get free credit...that C, D, or F on the transcript doesn't go away, so good luck getting into any reputable University with a 2.3 College GPA. That wonderful inflated GPA at High School A means nothing when you have college course grades for reference now...
But private schools and out of state schools do not have to take the credit for those classes correct?

I'm aware of how bgsu does it. However I'm talking about some of these online classes that non HS teachers have. They are pathetic and I still stick to my belief that higher Ed has become watered down and it's a result of the mcdonaldization of higher Ed.

I really believe we need to rethink higher Ed along with secondary education. That's a topic for another day

Last edited:
What is this "AP Certification" that you speak of?

I agree that AP US Government is a lot harder than the freshmen government POL 101 that I took at Kent State University. Not even close. I would much rather see the students in CC+ classes where they are guaranteed college credit as opposed to AP courses where they may or may not receive credit.

The mantra should always be, "what is in the best interests of the students."

I had to do a 2 week long course with Clemson University back in the summer of 2013 to become AP Euro certified and a 2 week long course with Clemson back in summer of 2014 to get my APUSH certification. The instructors were college professors from Clemson. I received 3 hours of grad credit from Clemson for each one. After the courses were done each time I had to fill out paperwork with the College Board. Haven't taught AP since the 2014-15 school year but still receive emails from the CB about renewing my certification. My school's IB / AP Coordinator approached me back in March about my interest in getting back in to teaching AP Euro in the future and said since I'd allowed my AP cert to lapse I'd have to re do the course work all over again. I told her yes at the time but I'm not 100% enthusiastic about the idea. Like I said, last time I taught AP Euro it was over 100 kids in 3 sections and was not feasible to do. If they can guarantee me they won't treat the course like that the second time around I'll more excited but we'll see.

Back to football for a second. :D

Not seeing any SJJ or Central kids on the rosters for today's all-star game. No Rogers or Scott either. That's disappointing. Anyhow, looks like the weather is done being stupid, it's going to be a great game as always.
Black Team defeated the Gold Team tonight 26-14

Team MVP’s were Liberty Center QB Camden Krugh (Black) and Archbold WR Brandon Taylor (Gold)

I had to do a 2 week long course with Clemson University back in the summer of 2013 to become AP Euro certified and a 2 week long course with Clemson back in summer of 2014 to get my APUSH certification. The instructors were college professors from Clemson. I received 3 hours of grad credit from Clemson for each one. After the courses were done each time I had to fill out paperwork with the College Board. Haven't taught AP since the 2014-15 school year but still receive emails from the CB about renewing my certification. My school's IB / AP Coordinator approached me back in March about my interest in getting back in to teaching AP Euro in the future and said since I'd allowed my AP cert to lapse I'd have to re do the course work all over again. I told her yes at the time but I'm not 100% enthusiastic about the idea. Like I said, last time I taught AP Euro it was over 100 kids in 3 sections and was not feasible to do. If they can guarantee me they won't treat the course like that the second time around I'll more excited but we'll see.
These courses are local decisions in my state, SC could be different. We consider AP part of our GT services, so our AP teachers do have to get certified to teach GT as required by the state (30 hours). I think we have a similar course to what you’re talking about at the university here that we send our AP/PreAP (well, not called PreAP now because of another College Board money grab) teachers to.

As for your administration changing their view that 35 AP kids can be in each section, good luck with that. It seems to be common practice at all of our high schools as well.

Should be getting close to time for each conference to start 2021 conference boards, I see the NWOAL has already started discussions and the usual suspects are at the top and bottom. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the last year for some of these leagues.

Black Team defeated the Gold Team tonight 26-14

Team MVP’s were Liberty Center QB Camden Krugh (Black) and Archbold WR Brandon Taylor (Gold)

Thanks. I missed it, having fallen asleep in the lazyboy. AAAAGHHHHH ONE fricken game all year and I sleep through it. Streamed on BCSN in time to catch the fourth. I did see the Waite kid make the TD catch. That was the difference in the game. :D

Certification is a "nice to have" and some schools might require it. However, I can attest that many AP teachers have no clue what certification is and are not certified.

Let's good back to football....

Playing Whitmer, Findlay, and Fremont every year in football is IMO a net positive for PBurg and AW and will only improve their programs.

Is there a chance the Maumee will only be in the NLL one final year? I have heard from my son conflicting data.

Maumee has quite a few people back as their starters last year were basically a JV team. Coutcher at Maumee had a lot of success as a baseball coach, so hopefully that will carry over. Maumee's strength coach is a former college wrestler and PE teacher, so hopefully they will make gains it that area as well. Maumee does have a new DC as they old DC resigned and at least two other varsity coaches resigned.

Any chance this might happen. BG and NAP leave and then decide to not let Whitmer in the NLL. End up with SNV, SSV, Fin, Fre, Clay, Perrysburg, Springfield and AW? To me that is a group that fit quite well together.

Any chance this might happen. BG and NAP leave and then decide to not let Whitmer in the NLL. End up with SNV, SSV, Fin, Fre, Clay, Perrysburg, Springfield and AW? To me that is a group that fit quite well together.

How did Southview stay in, in this scenario? And where do you have BG and Napolean heading?

Last edited:
No chance. The superintendents are all chummy and are friends with Whitmer's superintendent. They wouldn't go back on the deal IMO.

How did Southview stay in, in this scenario? And where do you have BG and Napolean heading?
SV will be getting bigger with the redistricting so will get closer to the other schools size wise. I have heard both BG and Nap are looking but obviously if there was a new home for them they would have left by now. But logistically/size Nap would most likely be NOAL or joining with schools leaving and BG would be to the SBC. Do I think this will happen no but never know how might shake out.