Northwest Ohio Realignment

You have any feelings different from what ToledoGuy posted at the top of this page? I'd think eveyone has gone home for the Summer and that all movement is done for the time being. This is a two year out thing,right? Who is in the biggest emergency? Anyone without a Fall schedule.
To be honest, I was just trying to push us to page 100. :ROFLMAO:

The only difference between an AP course and its equivalent standard course, say AP Calc A/B and Calculus is ... nothing.
It was my experience that the AP course moved at a faster pace than the standard course and was therefore able to cover more material in same timeframe.

It was my experience that the AP course moved at a faster pace than the standard course and was therefore able to cover more material in same timeframe.

No, there is no designated pacing to an AP course and as I wrote, no particular teaching requirements. AP tests are monitored in-house.. It's not an everyone goes to the local university to take a test as SATs used to be. Anything thought otherwise is just part of the sales program on the part of the high school and on the part of College Board. College Board is huge business as is any text-book or the myriad of SEL programs, classroom and school supplies for sale. Conventions, drinking, smoozing... Like any business.

I'll repeat MY opinion, A school selling they offer x number of AP courses as opposed to x number of Honors courses is just selling the program they think parents want to hear and in a way, saying they are less capable of developing and presenting curriculum taylored to their students (thought the competent teacher will do that anyways).

If there's a choice (AP, Honors, CCP, even regular) choose the teacher, choose the desired course. Taking an AP of no interest in-place of an elective in which a student has an interest and a skill? To each their own choice but "AP" designation means nothing to the University, they already have SATs, ACTs,.. and are starting to put those aside. Universities pride and sell themselves on having their own curriculum (though often they have to teach state), not something purchased out of a box. Why would they value one box curriculum over another?

Performance on boards, leadership, community involvment, demographics and "over-coming" are the path to competitive entrance. If they have a choice, they're going to choose someone who will represent and/or endow the University. They're looking for future performers, not past performers.

Last edited:
No, there is no designated pacing to an AP course and as I wrote, no particular teaching requirements. AP tests are monitored in-house.. It's not an everyone goes to the local university to take a test as SATs used to be. Anything thought otherwise is just part of the sales program on the part of the high school and on the part of College Board. College Board is huge business as is any text-book or the myriad of SEL programs, classroom and school supplies for sale. Conventions, drinking, smoozing... Like any business.

I'll repeat MY opinion, A school selling they offer x number of AP courses as opposed to x number of Honors courses is just selling the program they think parents want to hear and in a way, saying they are less capable of developing and presenting curriculum taylored to their students (thought the competent teacher will do that anyways).

If there's a choice (AP, Honors, CCP, even regular) choose the teacher, choose the desired course. Taking an AP of no interest in-place of an elective in which a student has an interest and a skill? To each their own choice but "AP" designation means nothing to the University, they already have SATs, ACTs,.. and are starting to put those aside. Universities pride and sell themselves on having their own curriculum (though often they have to teach state), not something purchased out of a box. Why would they value one box curriculum over another?

Performance on boards, leadership, community involvment, demographics and "over-coming" are the path to competitive entrance. If they have a choice, they're going to choose someone who will represent and/or endow the University. They're looking for future performers, not past performers.
You’ve been making a lot of good points, but as a school district administrator in a large suburban school district, there’s a HUGE difference between on-level and AP courses in my district (maybe not everywhere). We regularly encourage our students to be well-rounded, but to also challenge themselves in the classroom to prepare for the jump they’ll experience going from HS to college.

We have a large number of students taking dual credit as well, which is also encouraged. What we see is a huge difference in success of students in dual credit who have been previously taking advanced courses versus those that have not.

I also agree that the teacher has a lot to do with what you learn, but hopefully your district is looking for teachers that will differentiate properly and provide the appropriate instruction in order to pass an AP test. And, believe me, I know College Board is about $$ (much of my budget goes to them), but students can get college credit for passing AP exams, so all is not lost. It’s different at every college, obviously. I have two students currently at MIT and both received credit for the AP tests they passed, albeit the credit was transferred to elective courses not related to the major, engineering. It did help them save time and money sitting in some general courses. My past student that is at ND and the one that just graduated from Harvard also did not have their successes on AP tests ignored. The great part of this for them is that my district covers much of the cost of the AP exams, so they’re truly getting a financial benefit of challenging themselves and working hard.

My district didn’t have AP courses when I was in school decades ago and I wasn’t punished when applying to college, but I’d never discourage a student from appropriately challenging themselves.

This is a two year out thing,right?
What I heard is that the "New NLL" wants to start after next school year. The schools that are leaving the TRAC is saying that if the privates make them stay for the 2 years that after that they will not schedule them in any sport. Not sure if that boycott would include the current NLL schools but if it did that would leave them with basically no local schools of similar size to play. That would lead to a lot of long bus rides for all sports but some long school nights for sports like volleyball, baseball and softball.

You’ve been making a lot of good points, but as a school district administrator in a large suburban school district, there’s a HUGE difference between on-level and AP courses

So your saying that in your high brow district, "English 4" is really "English 4 for Dummies" and you have an AP English for the 30 kids that wish to "challenge" themselves. ;)

No one is comparing what you call "on-level" and what the rest of us call, not the Honors class with the AP class, except the administrator having trouble keeping up. That must be a requirement to get the certification. I've long figured such. Much evidence to support it. Ah, nother topic to get us to 200 pages. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
What I heard is that the "New NLL" wants to start after next school year. The schools that are leaving the TRAC is saying that if the privates make them stay for the 2 years that after that they will not schedule them in any sport. Not sure if that boycott would include the current NLL schools but if it did that would leave them with basically no local schools of similar size to play. That would lead to a lot of long bus rides for all sports but some long school nights for sports like volleyball, baseball and softball.

Would that travel be much different than most small town and rural schools really? If they form up with the De'troit Catholics and there will always be local and Michigan public schools that will schedule them OOC, probably about the same. They may have started this mess but there's no way they will end up suffering.

If there's a choice (AP, Honors, CCP, even regular) choose the teacher, choose the desired course.
So your saying that in your high brow district, "English 4" is really "English 4 for Dummies" and you have an AP English for the 30 kids that wish to "challenge" themselves. ;)

No one is comparing what you call "on-level" and what the rest of us call, not the Honors class with the AP class, except the administrator having trouble keeping up. That must be a requirement to get the certification. I've long figured such. Much evidence to support it. Ah, nother topic to get us to 200 pages. :ROFLMAO:

I get the humor in your comment, but you did say choose the teacher or desired course in the “regular” class over AP. I disagree.

My district is far from “high brow,” but I enjoy it. We have a lot of hopeful first generation college students and they don’t always understand how to best get to where they say they want to go, so this is something we’re always talking about.

I’m also trying to get us to 100 pages, or 200 like you say. So adding to any conversation to move this forward is nice. It’s funny how this thread has evolved. Football season can’t come soon enough.

Would that travel be much different than most small town and rural schools really?
Nearly all the small/rural schools in Ohio barely have to leave their tri-county area to find games. Yes if nearly every game is an hour plus (or two) away that will get very old very quick for coaches and players (other than for football since it would only be 5 road trips on Fridays or Saturdays).

^^^ You win!!!! Johnny, what does our contestant get for opening the 100th page? Uh, nothing. :mad:

Maybe I'll go delete a post, lol.
Nearly all the small/rural schools in Ohio barely have to leave their tri-county area to find games. Yes if nearly every game is an hour plus (or two) away that will get very old very quick for coaches and players (other than for football since it would only be 5 road trips on Fridays or Saturdays).

Tri-county. That's what the Catholics would be doing, they just happen to be on one end. That must happen in the rural districts too Someone has to be on the ends/extremes and the Toledo Caths will still be playing each other. I think they'll be alright.

Last edited:
3B7E710F-336A-4FC8-BACD-ADEA7D9DD519.jpeg

100 pages

Omg the Toledo kids might have to travel for once?

The horror.

In other NWO football news, allegedly the running back McCoy from SFS is transferring to Whitmer, probably due to Chipka leaving.

Obviously this is sports-driven, but (and this is me being genuinely curious) is he within the WLS district or is this Whitmer beginning to flex those open-enrollment muscles? (No, I’m not crying recruitment, good for them to utilize that for program success, if it is the case anyways)

Regardless, it’s a win for both parties involved if true. McCoy escapes what is sure to be a down year for SFS while getting more attention and Whitmer gets a very solid offensive weapon.

In other NWO football news, allegedly the running back McCoy from SFS is transferring to Whitmer, probably due to Chipka leaving.

Obviously this is sports-driven, but (and this is me being genuinely curious) is he within the WLS district or is this Whitmer beginning to flex those open-enrollment muscles? (No, I’m not crying recruitment, good for them to utilize that for program success, if it is the case anyways)

Regardless, it’s a win for both parties involved if true. McCoy escapes what is sure to be a down year for SFS while getting more attention and Whitmer gets a very solid offensive weapon.
Whitmer also has a freshman QB from Eastwood who I wouldnt be shocked by him starting within the year...was the first OE Applicant for the district.

Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out. I'd have to check again but if I'm not mistaken Whitmer only lost 2 games in TRAC play to schools not named Central Catholic from 2011-2019.

Last edited:
Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out
Specifically in football? Probably? (even though they are not a good team right now and likely wouldn't even end up in the top half of the standings). I don't think they would've beaten AW in any of their big years honestly...but it would've been a fun game to watch. If it is a 6-team alignment, with Findlay, Whitmer, NV, AW, Clay, and Springfield, I'd argue that they wouldn't "run through the league", because Findlay is going to be a better team than them for at least the next two years.

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports and, honestly, the only girls team that will likely compete for a league championship in anything even remotely resembling a "regular" manner would be softball, where they were mercy-ed by the NLL Champ [Springfield] and lost badly to both AW and Perrysburg in practice games before the season). Baseball? Nope, AW and Perrysburg are far better programs, soccer, LOL, basketball, Whitmer has become an also-ran, track, they'd have a chance most years, but likely wouldn't be the favorites.

They are the first team to get dumped if they can't get to 12 though, that's for sure. The NLL is perfectly fine with Whitmer being in there in a 2-division setup, but if there is an odd-man-out scenario, I could easily see them rescinding their invite and/or voting them out to make it back to even.

Man I cannot say this enough, inviting Whitmer to this league was the worst mistake they could ever make. If not for Central the Panthers would have dominated the TRAC each and every year. Now that the Irish are out of the way for league titles I can see Whitmer just running through this league year in/year out. I'd have to check again but if I'm not mistaken Whitmer only lost 2 games in TRAC play to schools not named Central Catholic from 2011-2019.

The game changer isn't Whitmer. It's the open enrollment, putting them on the same playing field as the privates. A closed enrollment Whitmer is only competitive, not dominant in the new league. Still to be seen if they "dominate." I doubt they will anymore than Central did across all sports. They will make the league stronger because unlike Central, they are less likely to be taking from the burbs. If anything, those kids from the burbs who were looking for a stronger program might now choose Whitmer with it's diverse curriculum, population and lack of bullets flying overhead, over Central.

Academically or athletically, Whitmer places kids anywhere any of the privates do plus they teach carpentry.

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports
That might be true, but those sports are an after thought when it comes to league alignment. The league shuffling this year is fueled almost completely by football with maybe a second thought given to basketball - not much beyond that.

Expanding beyond eight was the worst mistake they could ever make.

That might be true, but those sports are an after thought when it comes to league alignment. The league shuffling this year is fueled almost completely by football with maybe a second thought given to basketball - not much beyond that.

I mean, I get it but there are a lot more players and parents in those other sports than in football who won't be bothered one bit about Whitmer being in their conference from a competitive talent perspective. To say it was about football is a bit misleading...the league shuffling was due to public schools not wanting to play private schools anymore, regardless of sport.

Is it my imagination that it seems like most of the posters that have a problem with the new NLL aren't even fans of any schools in the new NLL?

Yeah lol I was referring to Football only here. I'd agree CHS as well, expanding beyond 8 or 10 is idiotic.

Specifically in football? Probably? (even though they are not a good team right now and likely wouldn't even end up in the top half of the standings). I don't think they would've beaten AW in any of their big years honestly...but it would've been a fun game to watch. If it is a 6-team alignment, with Findlay, Whitmer, NV, AW, Clay, and Springfield, I'd argue that they wouldn't "run through the league", because Findlay is going to be a better team than them for at least the next two years.

In every other sport? Nah...no way man. They're going to get skull dragged in the country club sports and non-revenue sports and, honestly, the only girls team that will likely compete for a league championship in anything even remotely resembling a "regular" manner would be softball, where they were mercy-ed by the NLL Champ [Springfield] and lost badly to both AW and Perrysburg in practice games before the season). Baseball? Nope, AW and Perrysburg are far better programs, soccer, LOL, basketball, Whitmer has become an also-ran, track, they'd have a chance most years, but likely wouldn't be the favorites.

They are the first team to get dumped if they can't get to 12 though, that's for sure. The NLL is perfectly fine with Whitmer being in there in a 2-division setup, but if there is an odd-man-out scenario, I could easily see them rescinding their invite and/or voting them out to make it back to even.
The 6 team alignment is a stupid idea unless they're going to mandate crossover games. The SBC clearly showed this is a failure of an idea long term, Oak Harbor bolted the second they could. Lets be honest, Football is the only one where scheduling really matters. All other sports are pretty local when it comes to games

Yeah lol I was referring to Football only here. I'd agree CHS as well, expanding beyond 8 or 10 is idiotic.

The 6 team alignment is a stupid idea unless they're going to mandate crossover games. The SBC clearly showed this is a failure of an idea long term, Oak Harbor bolted the second they could. Lets be honest, Football is the only one where scheduling really matters. All other sports are pretty local when it comes to games

.. seems to me the city publics often schedule the small town schools for sports. And if a school has an above local par LAX, they're going to schedule snooty so they can challenge for state. BTW: If picking only one, LAX is a sport I would like to see at all the city publics. It should definitely be taught in the gym classes (nerf ball or there will be murder charges). There should be at least three crew teams, shared athletes if need be. I know those that want to swim have an outlet, there was a diver from Waite not long ago that was really good I guess. But I don't know how they arrange that. Do they work with another school or completely independent?

I realize I probably missed the true intent of your post, something about number of league members but, 200 looms!!!!

Last edited: