MSNBC: American flag is “disturbing”

The full text and the context is important:

"I think that as long as they see Americanness as the same as one with Whiteness, this is going to continue," Gay said, turning to race and adding that "Americanness" and "Whiteness" needed to be separated.

"I was on Long Island this weekend visiting a really dear friend, and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens and dozens of pickup trucks with explicatives [sic] against Joe Biden on the back of them, Trump flags, and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing … Essentially the message was clear. This is my country. This is not your country. I own this," Gay said.

"I think that as long as they see Americanness as the same as one with Whiteness, this is going to continue," Gay said, turning to race and adding that "Americanness" and "Whiteness" needed to be separated.

"I was on Long Island this weekend visiting a really dear friend, and I was really disturbed. I saw, you know, dozens and dozens of pickup trucks with explicatives [sic] against Joe Biden on the back of them, Trump flags, and in some cases just dozens of American flags, which is also just disturbing … Essentially the message was clear. This is my country. This is not your country. I own this," Gay said.
Thank you for clarifying. Often on this forum, people take something and spin it the way they see fit. Like watching Faux News!

I don't see that the full text and content helps. Other than they want it to be about race.
I'm just trying to help the people who might want to chime in on this thread without watching the full video. If their thought is that some talking head on MSNBC is saying "American flag = bad", then they've missed the point entirely.

There's about 3 non sequitur arguments in here.

Apparently, people don't like the current (white) President, and that means they conflate Americanness with Whiteness? Was that true for the people with the "F 45" bumper stickers and t-shirts as well?

And what makes the Trump flags disturbing? Is it because he lost? Was it just as disturbing to see "I'm with her" bumper stickers on cars in 2017?

And why does flying an American flag indicate that "this is my country?" Does flying the Ohio flag indicate that "this is my state?" When people in Put-In-Bay fly a "Don't Give up the Ship" flag, is that a clear message that the town belongs to Commodore Perry?

Thank you for clarifying. Often on this forum, people take something and spin it the way they see fit. Like watching Faux News!
Ironically, I copied the quote from Fox News' story about this clip. But then it's also not surprising that their headline is

"NYT, MSNBC's Mara Gay: 'Disturbing' to see 'dozens of American flags' on trucks in Long Island"​

...which is as sensationalist of a headline as any.

There's about 3 non sequitur arguments in here.

Apparently, people don't like the current (white) President, and that means they conflate Americanness with Whiteness? Was that true for the people with the "F 45" bumper stickers and t-shirts as well?

And what makes the Trump flags disturbing? Is it because he lost? Was it just as disturbing to see "I'm with her" bumper stickers on cars in 2017?

And why does flying an American flag indicate that "this is my country?" Does flying the Ohio flag indicate that "this is my state?" When people in Put-In-Bay fly a "Don't Give up the Ship" flag, is that a clear message that the town belongs to Commodore Perry?
These are fine questions. I don't know that I agree with Mara Gay, but I get the point she's trying to arrive to.

For the sake of the crowd that makes sport out of railing on "liberal media", it's important to note that she is not saying "American flag = bad"

Blah blah blah….

“Despite the fact that I’m likely very well off as a black woman in the U.S., the whiteness is just icky. The racism is strong in this country, at least that narrative is what keeps my pockets lined. Those trucks with Trump flags and AMERICAN flags, they scare me.”

Trump flags scare Hairball too, he immediately assumes the fetal position when he sees one.

These are fine questions. I don't know that I agree with Mara Gay, but I get the point she's trying to arrive to.

For the sake of the crowd that makes sport out of railing on "liberal media", it's important to note that she is not saying "American flag = bad"
Yes, that's exactly what she said and meant. The rest of the "full text and the context" only proves that she discriminates, what a shocker.

I'm just trying to help the people who might want to chime in on this thread without watching the full video. If their thought is that some talking head on MSNBC is saying "American flag = bad", then they've missed the point entirely.
I read what you posted...what is the point she is trying to make?

Here's the problem as I see it. She is making an assumption that Trump supporters who fly American flags or Trump flags or slap bummer stickers on cars against Biden are racist. Where does that say "I'm white and this is my country not yours". That's total BS and it does nothing but continue to push the division between races. She should be condemned for her comments. The same as the mayor of Chicago for her BS comments about white reporters. This language needs to stop from both sides. Racism is racism and it needs to be condemned. Any fool who thinks that this is okay is part of the problem in this country, the same as any fool who thinks what happened on Jan. 6 is okay. The fact that an African-American woman has the opportunity to be on TV making these comments tells you how far our country has come in less than half a century. Cultural changes takes time. It is a evolution that happens over generations, not weeks or months or years. It cannot be legislated. It cannot be forced. Minorities have a voice in this country. They have influence. They even have power. Sure whites still hold the majority of that power, but for now, they still make up the majority of the population. Unfortunately, both sides and in my opinion mostly just those on the far left and far right are being permitted to set that evolution back.

she is saying that a truck owner that flies the American flag is white people telling poc they don't belong in America. people on this site are defending this. the premise is total horsecrap. if you even come close to agreeing with this woman you are part of the problem and I dont have a clue how to talk to you. you are beyond hope.

Context doesn't really appear to change anything. She didn't like "other" people flying a flag.

Somehow in her mind, if the opponent is for something, she must automatically be against it. In this case, pickup truck drivers are the enemy and their flying an American flag is offensive to her. Just mind boggling and every American should condemn this woman's terrible take.

she is saying that a truck owner that flies the American flag is white people telling poc they don't belong in America. people on this site are defending this. the premise is total horsecrap. if you even come close to agreeing with this woman you are part of the problem and I dont have a clue how to talk to you. you are beyond hope.
post of the WEEK!!!

Context doesn't really appear to change anything. She didn't like "other" people flying a flag.

Somehow in her mind, if the opponent is for something, she must automatically be against it. In this case, pickup truck drivers are the enemy and their flying an American flag is offensive to her. Just mind boggling and every American should condemn this woman's terrible take.
you think that BIGOT lady owns a American Flag?