Kill the District Meet.

Some bad news. I have been told by very good sources and one or two others that 4 divisions is not going to happen anytime soon. Dead in the water. Also, Probably not going back to Jesse Owens. Get used to the current format. Had a lengthy discussion at Easter and had the exact same information told to me twice yesterday.
Thank you OHSAA Track and Field for being a consistent disappointment. We can always count on you.

I am curious to why you think OSU's athletic department is being run so badly. I do not really have a strong opinion but would like to hear your thoughts.
I don't believe this has anything to do with the athletic department. This is the administration decision by those that seem to have forgotten that they are a land grant public university. With having two kids currently enrolled there they have clearly showing that education young adults for their chosen career is far from OSU's top priority. No reason to take this even further off topic with details.

Does anyone know if there will be live streaming of the track regional meets. And if so does anyone have a link for the D2=Lexington Meet.

Does anyone know if there will be live streaming of the track regional meets. And if so does anyone have a link for the D2=Lexington Meet.
Has there ever been live streaming of regionals? If so I have missed the boat. My ineptitude is not surprising but I too would like to watch streaming if it is available. I will watch any region, any division. Links?

The OATCCC needs to make it its mission to return the meet to Jesse Owens then. It would be an extraordinary shame if Ohio HS student-athletes lost the opportunity to compete there for the state meet.
More importantly, the OATCCC needs to make its mission making 4 divisions happening. There is no logical answer why we shouldn't have 4 divisions with the size of our state. I would love to hear why the OHSAA is against it. The only I've heard is that they're afraid of being pushed to add another division in other sports which is totally crap.

The people I've talked to that are close to the situation still feel it can happen. Its just tabled right now until spring sports conclude.

More importantly, the OATCCC needs to make its mission making 4 divisions happening. There is no logical answer why we shouldn't have 4 divisions with the size of our state. I would love to hear why the OHSAA is against it. The only I've heard is that they're afraid of being pushed to add another division in other sports which is totally crap.

The people I've talked to that are close to the situation still feel it can happen. Its just tabled right now until spring sports conclude.
Has anyone tried telling them it will make them more money? That tends to work with them.

I don't see this happening, and I'm sorry that you find district meets to be such a hardship.

OHSAA is clearly in need of money. District meets make some money of which some of the proceeds find their way to the OHSAA's headquarters.

In need of money yes, but isn’t $12 a ticket a bit steep?

No disagreement there. It's like they're trying to make all their money back at once. They're charging $15 a day next weekend, and you're only going to see 1 division instead of having the option to see all 3.
I'd play $25 a ticket to watch at Jesse Owens again.

How many fans will be paying $15 a ticket and not even have a seat next week? The stands at Jesse Owens were typically full at the D1 meet, I can't imagine

I'd play $25 a ticket to watch at Jesse Owens again.

How many fans will be paying $15 a ticket and not even have a seat next week? The stands at Jesse Owens were typically full at the D1 meet, I can't imagine
the best part of this is that they are making the alternates buy tickets to gain entry into the Regional meet... pretty interesting

Still waiting. I'd really like to know how the system did not get it right. Some kids got a chance with the at large spots and took advantage of it. I did not sit at the state meet and think how much better it would be if the kid we saw get 7th at the regional was here. I would change and go to the same format as the state meet from Districts to Regional. That worked well enough.

I'm not a fan of 3 heats with the top two advancing automatically. With 4 regions there's no way to create "balanced" heats based on place, and times from potentially vastly different competitive situations at each Regional shouldn't be used, either. This becomes stark if/when the top seeds end up not running.

I also don't like the fact that some lanes in the 800 have 3 athletes for an entire lap while other lanes only have two athletes.

When the track has 9 lanes going with 18 athletes isn't much of an issue. It's hard for me to have strong feelings either way. But when the track only has 8 lanes, I am not a fan of the at-large bids. If the meet had never been at JO w/9 lanes, I doubt the at large bids would have ever been approved. In my opinion, the at-large bids should be dependent on whether the championship track will have 8 lanes or 9 lanes; otherwise, let's just go with 6 qualifiers from each region and fill the lanes.

Last edited:

I can tell you that the limiting factor for 4 divisions is absolutely NOT the OATCCC, which was on the verge of getting a yes from OHSAA. Now that there is new admin in OHSAA, it's back to square 1 for the divisions discussion. It took a last minute push just to keep the at large bids (nice post by p_d on the qualification system doing what it's meant to do...btw :) ). It's not as simple a process as one would like it to be, but the work continues toward progress.

This is how the sectional meet was handled back in the day when I ran in Indiana. Of course, it wasn't as easy to know who actually qualified to participate in the sectional. I ran the 440. It was run in one heat. I was in lane 4 row 3 due to barely making the standard. I think there were about 30 participants in the 440 that year. I like the idea of relays counting double.
1625155936978.png

Just not a fan of qualifying standards for high school kids. We do our best to get as many kids involved as possible. We try our best to have the kids be at their best at the end of their season. That changes from kid to kid. Some kids are done the last meet before the League meet. Other kids are done at the League meet. We try and peak kids for those dates. We did not put our best 4x800 or 4x400 relays on the track until the Regional. (Not a fan of double points for relays because there are 3 sprint relays which tilts things even more to sprint heavy teams.) Our performances can be dramatically better once we start "peaking / resting". They are high school kids. Performances can go up and down a lot in the season.

My only issues now is if they are taking the next 2 best performances to the State from the Regionals, they should also take the next 2 best performances for the Districts to the Regionals.(IF WE ARE NOT RUNNING ON A 9 LANE TRACK AT THE STATE MEET) 1st place each heat plus next "X" best times for advancement.