GCL Player of the year?

VBFAN24

Any candidates for GCL player of the year? At the beginning of the year I would have said it was Kastners to lose but I think it is an open race at this point. Kastner, Carmo, JJ, Rhinehold, Bianco, Maune? Any other contenders?

I wouldn't count out Carmo. He kept them in the last match against Elder. He was getting to balls no other setter in the state could get to. He would be my pick before Kastner simply because of his consistency.

MVP in my eyes is the player who, if removed from the team, would be detrimental to the team's success. Soo...

1.) Kastner (X)
2.) Maune (Elder)
3.) JJ (Moe)

It will go to a player on whichever team wins the league. If it's a tie, which definitely could happen, I'd rank them this way.

1. Kastner
2. Maune
3. Beckelhimer

Although, from my understanding it is the head coaches that nominate their own players for consideration, I wonder if Tierney picks a senior, likely Albers?

If that's the case, I would put Albers behind Beckelhimer

MVP in my eyes is the player who, if removed from the team, would be detrimental to the team's success. Soo...

1.) Kastner (X)
2.) Maune (Elder)
3.) JJ (Moe)
Agree with this definition, which is why I think Carmo should get more love. You take him away, who's X's setter? Berkemeier? That would be a monumental drop-off. Still, I agree with your list as a whole, but could see Tierney pushing hard for Maune if Elder continues on this hot streak and Maune keeps doing the things he's doing.

It isn't referred to anywhere as the "MVP" though. It's called the "Player of the Year". So it should go to the best player, not necessarily most irreplaceable

Harmeyer and Tran would be my best bet on trying to replace Carmo not Berk.
Player of the year is traditionally the most offensive player on the team that scores the most points. Just my take. You don’t see a Libero or setter win that award very often. I’m not saying it shouldn’t happen but more unlikely.

Looking on the GCL website- These are the past recorded winners. More recently it's definitely trended more towards hitters winning. 2009 and 2017 are the only 2 years that the POY was not on the team that either won or had a share of the GCL crown.

2019 - Mauch, MH (Not on the site, but I'm 99% sure it was him)
2018 - Kiser, C. MH
2017 - Klusman, S
2016 - Wernery, OH
2015 - Talbot, OH
2014 - Talbot, OH
2013 - Pieper, MH
2012 - Co-POY's: Morrissey, OH? and Fletcher, S?
2011 - Co-POY's: Skove, OH? and Kues, S
2010 - Co-POY's: Hunter, S and Harpenau, MH
2009 - Kues, S
2008 - Wessels, S
2007 - Meyer, OH
2006 - Kehoe, S
2005 - Wimmers, OH?

Harmeyer and Tran would be my best bet on trying to replace Carmo not Berk.
Player of the year is traditionally the most offensive player on the team that scores the most points. Just my take. You don’t see a Libero or setter win that award very often. I’m not saying it shouldn’t happen but more unlikely.
Good point, forgot about those two somehow.

It isn't referred to anywhere as the "MVP" though. It's called the "Player of the Year". So it should go to the best player, not necessarily most irreplaceable
Also a good point. I guess it kinda falls on the coaches voting to determine what they think the definition means to them. I'm sure it varies on how they all look at it.

Also a good point. I guess it kinda falls on the coaches voting to determine what they think the definition means to them. I'm sure it varies on how they all look at it.
It seems to me that the coaches should define what "player of the year" means. That way they know the criteria and they can compare apples to apple ....

It seems to me that the coaches should define what "player of the year" means. That way they know the criteria and they can compare apples to apple ....
Probably, but I think there usually seems to be enough consensus that it hasn't ever been an issue.

If you look above at the past players of the year I believe the coaches have pretty much nailed it year after year. 2-3 league matches to go so it will be interesting

Who does everyone have? I would have thought that Maune would have gotten it if Elder would have won the GCL outright last night. Now I think JJ has the inside track. Anyone else?

I think it probably is JJ.

Random thought- when was the last time (if ever?) LaSalle had a GCL POY?
I think Zach Harvey was the latest that got the closest. If I recall correctly, he was D2 South Region POY in 2018. Hard to argue with Kiser getting the GCL POY though..

Can't argue with that!

Based on posts made by Walnut Hills and Moeller you have the following. Four additional 1st team and five additional 2nd team to come. I would expect to see Kastner, Carmosino, Maune, Albers/Meyer/Bianco, one player from GMC champion Sycamore (Sakemiller or Kress), Buis from Fairfield, along with some surprises to fill out the rest of the 1st and 2nd team

1st Team
JJ Beckelhimer (POY)
Mathew Reinhold
Owen Vogelpohl

2nd Team
Jack Carroll
Caleb Lipscomb

Honorable Mention
Colin Smith
Will Patterson
Trent Borgmann
Griffin Wheatley

Can't argue with that!

Based on posts made by Walnut Hills and Moeller you have the following. Four additional 1st team and five additional 2nd team to come. I would expect to see Kastner, Carmosino, Maune, Albers/Meyer/Bianco, one player from GMC champion Sycamore (Sakemiller or Kress), Buis from Fairfield, along with some surprises to fill out the rest of the 1st and 2nd team

1st Team
JJ Beckelhimer (POY)
Mathew Reinhold
Owen Vogelpohl

2nd Team
Jack Carroll
Caleb Lipscomb

Honorable Mention
Colin Smith
Will Patterson
Trent Borgmann
Griffin Wheatley
Was sent the final D1 south teams. Will try and get D2 if I can. Looks like this:
1st Team
JJ (POY) - Moe
Kastner - X
Maune - Elder
Vogelpohl - Walnut
Carmo - X
Reinhold - Moe
Buis - Fairfield

2nd Team
Albers - Elder
Miller-Bross - Loveland
Lipscomb - Walnut
Fago - Mason
Papacharalambous - Oak Hills
Carroll - Moe
Schroeder - X

Honorable Mention
Rees - West Clermont
Keldsen - Loveland
Meyer - Elder
Toomb - X
Borgmann - Walnut
Smith - Moe
Patterson - Moe
King - Mason
Sawyer - Fairfield
Wheatley - Walnut
Pessler - Oak Hills
Thole - Loveland

COY - Meyer - Moe
Coaches Achievement - Ober - Walnut

I'm pretty shocked and confused as to how Sycamore wins the GMC and doesn't get a single guy on any team, but Fairfield, Mason and Oak Hills all have two. Maybe Sycamore's coach didn't make a compelling argument or had to leave or didn't care to nominate anyone or something? Who knows, but that makes no sense to me. Also surprised not to see Bianco anywhere. On that note, also kinda weird that Moe has 5, X has 4, Walnut has 4, but Elder is tied with Loveland with 3.

Sycamore coach must not have attended. Too bad for the Sycamore players, one of their best finishes in a long time.

Bianco being left off altogether is a snub, definitely the best player in the South region to be left off this year. Next year I could see it as a toss-up between him and Maune for POY

Sycamore coach must not have attended. Too bad for the Sycamore players, one of their best finishes in a long time.

Bianco being left off altogether is a snub, definitely the best player in the South region to be left off this year. Next year I could see it as a toss-up between him and Maune for POY
Agreed. Will be interesting to see if they continue to run a 6-2 or switch to a 5-1, but that’s a ways away

All depends on what players the coaches nominate, and probabaly what recomenndation they have for them, and whether or not some coaches decide to stay for the player voting.

Also, there's always some politics involved, I'm sure.