Is death to be feared

I don't fear death, I fear living as a vegetable in a nursing home. My in-laws spent some time in nursing homes before passing and that existence can be quite inhumane. I appreciate those who work in this environment who show love and compassion for those living there but if you have someone in one of these facilities you better be their champion making sure they get the proper attention because if you don't have a champion you will be left neglected most of the time.

I also agree with the nursing home sentiment. My dads dad dies of Alzheimer's in a nursing home, my dads mom lived to be 97 years old but spent the last 10 years in a nursing home. My moms parents died in a nursing home as well. I've told my wife , my kids, and my brothers if I end up in a nursing home and cannot take care of my cleanliness needs then invite everyone over, load me up on every illegal substance and we will have a proper send off.

I tend to fear being dead more than the death itself. I’ve got a 2 year old and the thought of leaving him behind is heartbreaking.

I am genuinely curious if people who don’t have children statistically fear death less than those with them…

I tend to fear being dead more than the death itself. I’ve got a 2 year old and the thought of leaving him behind is heartbreaking.

I am genuinely curious if people who don’t have children statistically fear death less than those with them…
I agree. It’s about the wife and kids more then myself. We they be ok, did I do enough to prepare?

I tell my kid's I will come out of my grave and strangle them if my death impacts their lives significantly. I will love them while I'm alive and live like it. But, they aren't kids. They are 25 and 29 years old. I tell my wife her next husband will tell the story about me. I will have been a one of a kind either way.

I would definitely feel differently with a two year old. I have morphed on feelings of death.

I don't fear death, I fear living as a vegetable in a nursing home. My in-laws spent some time in nursing homes before passing and that existence can be quite inhumane. I appreciate those who work in this environment who show love and compassion for those living there but if you have someone in one of these facilities you better be their champion making sure they get the proper attention because if you don't have a champion you will be left neglected most of the time.
I agree. My father died with dementia while living in a memory care unit. I fear having dementia more than death. It was tough losing more and more of my father just about on a daily basis.

Last edited: