Maryland to award 4 historically black colleges 577 million

Which includes 22 million in legal fees.

How is a school "historically black"?
Tennessee in a similar boat

Which includes 22 million in legal fees.

How is a school "historically black"?

What is an HBCU?​

HBCUs are a source of accomplishment and great pride for the African American community as well as the entire nation. The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, defines an HBCU as: “…any historically black college or university that was established prior to 1964, whose principal mission was, and is, the education of black Americans, and that is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association determined by the Secretary [of Education] to be a reliable authority as to the quality of training offered or is, according to such an agency or association, making reasonable progress toward accreditation.” HBCUs offer all students, regardless of race, an opportunity to develop their skills and talents. These institutions train young people who go on to serve domestically and internationally in the professions as entrepreneurs and in the public and private sectors.

Yup....government gave black kids money to go to school and they didn't finish. I guess throwing money at a culture problem doesn't work.
What, the schools are still in operation and turning out successful graduates every year.

"African Americans could not benefit from the passage of the First Morrill Act in states that did not allow them to attend institutions of higher education. These states were primarily in Southern and border states. In fact, it was not until the passage of the subsequent legislation known as the Second Morrill Act of 1890 that African Americans were able to attend land-grant institutions in many states. The Morrill Act of 1890 prohibited the distribution of money to states that made distinctions of race in admissions unless at least one land-grant college for African Americans, was established, and thus brought about the establishment of 19 public black colleges (Allen & Jewell, 2002; Provasnik et al., 2004; Redd, 1998; Roebuck & Murty, 1993)"

Jeffrey Dahmer went to Ohio State what does that have to do with anything??
Everything. In the fall of 1978 Dahmer moved into room 541 of Morrill Tower (the one closest to the stadium).

It's no coincidence that I lived in Morrill's sister tower Lincoln, room 1723, although it was exactly two years later.

Yup....government gave black kids money to go to school and they didn't finish. I guess throwing money at a culture problem doesn't work.
You have two states that systemically underfunded HBCU's (predominantly Black students) to the tune of half a billion dollars each, and this is your synopsis,,,,,

You have two states that systemically underfunded HBCU's (predominantly Black students) to the tune of half a billion dollars each, and this is your synopsis,,,,,
Underfunded? Shall we take a look at their endowments?

Underfunded? Shall we take a look at their endowments?

Public and private HBCU endowments taken together are now roughly 70 percent smaller than those of non-HBCUs.

After matching accredited HBCUs with non-HBCUs across key areas that include sector type (public, private, two- or four-year institutions), highest degree offered, enrollment size and location, the U.S. Government Accountability Office found the median endowment at HBCUs was $12 million, while the median endowment size at non-HBCUs was $23 million,

* The Top Ten PWI endowments for 2020 combined for $199.8 billion versus $2 billion for the Top Ten HBCU endowments showing an institutional wealth gap of almost $100 to $1.

Central State and Wilberforce are still kicking down in Xenia.
His comment was correct though about Central St I believe. It was horribly managed and had to be taken over . Maybe on its feet now but don't look the other way for long on that one. I like the layout of campus. Unfortunately it was shoddy and maybe shady workmanship.

His comment was correct though about Central St I believe. It was horribly managed and had to be taken over . Maybe on its feet now but don't look the other way for long on that one. I like the layout of campus. Unfortunately it was shoddy and maybe shady workmanship.
No idea how the brick and mortar division is doing, but their online program is thriving. School of Education enrollment for online summer sessions approx 2K.

Not real familiar with the situation, but I wonder how much was actual mismanagement and how much was having to do more with less. Wonder if they were under supported in relation to other similar universities while at the same time serving a much poorer demographic/student body. Just as HBCU's in many other states as the situations in Maryland and Tennessee demonstrate.

Not real familiar with the situation, but I wonder how much was actual mismanagement and how much was having to do more with less. Wonder if they were under supported in relation to other similar universities while at the same time serving a much poorer demographic/student body. Just as HBCU's in many other states as the situations in Maryland and Tennessee demonstrate.

They're not serving any poorer a demographic than the other state urban universities. If they couldn't build it right and built it anyhow. that's damned mismanagement. If they didn't maintain it. That's mismanagement. If the guy they hire to run the show can't find the probem in the books, that's two sets of mismanagement. It was a clown show. They've been bailed out by state so many times because they're HBCU and ONLY because they're HBCU, Roto Rooter would have been a better management hire. If it had been one of the Metro's, Departments would have been reduced and Colleges eliminated. Clear as a bell and no excuses., mismanaged if not criminally so. If they had any sense of ethics, now that there's some stability, they'd be paying a little back.

Last edited:
They're not serving any poorer a demographic than the other state urban universities.

Au contraire my friend, according to the percent of students that receive a Pell Grant (bell weather stat to determine number of low income students) at Ohio colleges and universities, Central State is in a league of it's own. From the numbers I could find, the 2nd place school Cleveland State is at 45.1% just a little over half of Central State's whopping 87% (National average is 31%)

"The national average is 31 percent, according to the report. The Ohio average is 29.38 percent.
First-year classes at 42 Ohio four-year colleges and universities met or surpassed the national average. Among them: Kent State University, University of Akron, Cleveland State University and Ohio Wesleyan University. Cleveland State University came in at 45.12 percent. Central State University, a historically black college in Columbus, has an 87 percent Pell share."

3 year average Pell rate

Central State 87.28
Cleveland State 45.12
University of Akron 41.04%
Kent State University 31.74%
Cincinnati 21.3%

Au contraire my friend,

You're throwing out average? Skew?

They're not serving any poorer a demographic than the other state urban universities. In the case of the urbans, after they became part of the state system they for years were REQUIRED to take any and all comers.

None of that however provides any cover for the gross mismanagement that has nearly put Central St under on several occasions if not for state bailouts. They should be groveling instead of looking for excuses and more hand-outs. If anything, it should bring more umbrage that those trusted to teach your "poorest" demographic would enrich themselves doing it or just be that poorly capable. As I recall, attempts to bring in more capable management were rebuffed because of , ahem, "demographic." of that more capable management.

I'm not saying it is not an important institution. But even important institutions need to risk extinction if they cannot handle their business time and time again. Sometimes that's the only thing that gets the message across.

You do not have to handle the business when deep down you know some govt agency will bail you out and will it seems do it time after time.