The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

The whole Wade Miley game Friday night and the excitement afterwards was really cool. And it does just prove that you can pitch, and not just blow gas by people. The excitement his teammates had for him was special.

Suarez 10th percentile in the league or worse in avg exit velocity, BA, hart hit %, K%, and whiff %. His barrel % when he makes contact is relatively good. But so many swings and misses compared to prior years.

Suarez 10th percentile in the league or worse in avg exit velocity, BA, hart hit %, K%, and whiff %. His barrel % when he makes contact is relatively good. But so many swings and misses compared to prior years.
You almost wonder if they need to check his eyes or something? There is something really wrong with him. Now there is no way they'll demote him or bench him, they are too invested, but he's slowly working his way down the lineup. I did at one time call him the right handed Jay Bruce. Incredibly long swing, there for he has to "guess" or start really early so it's really hard for him to adjust as a pitch is coming in.
I really like the guy, but he needs to start contributing offensively.

Ok, I have to vent on here for a minute. So the Reds just came off of a week where they had 3 off days and I don't believe anyone was skipped. Not sure why they do that, I would want my best pitchers pitching as much as possible.
So Sonny Gray pitched Wednesday, May 5, the 1-0 win over the White Sox. Day off, then Miley, Castillo, Hoffman was supposed to pitch Sunday (rained out). Mahle is pitching tonight. The probable for tomorrow is now Hoffman and Miley Wednesday?? So we're skipping Sonny? Why not skip Hoffman? These are the things that no one seems to ever question management about? Are they doing load management on Sonny? He seemed to be pitching very well his last two outings, now you give him a week off?

You almost wonder if they need to check his eyes or something? There is something really wrong with him. Now there is no way they'll demote him or bench him, they are too invested, but he's slowly working his way down the lineup. I did at one time call him the right handed Jay Bruce. Incredibly long swing, there for he has to "guess" or start really early so it's really hard for him to adjust as a pitch is coming in.
I really like the guy, but he needs to start contributing offensively.

They won't demote or bench him because Farmer doesn't hit any better than he does.

Ok, I have to vent on here for a minute. So the Reds just came off of a week where they had 3 off days and I don't believe anyone was skipped. Not sure why they do that, I would want my best pitchers pitching as much as possible.
So Sonny Gray pitched Wednesday, May 5, the 1-0 win over the White Sox. Day off, then Miley, Castillo, Hoffman was supposed to pitch Sunday (rained out). Mahle is pitching tonight. The probable for tomorrow is now Hoffman and Miley Wednesday?? So we're skipping Sonny? Why not skip Hoffman? These are the things that no one seems to ever question management about? Are they doing load management on Sonny? He seemed to be pitching very well his last two outings, now you give him a week off?

Because managing pitching doesn't always mean you run your best SP out there because it'd be his normal rest with off days. Especially in the second month of the season. These guys are already throwing on a shortened Spring Training. The weather isn't the best and who knows how Sonny came off his last outing. Simply throwing a guy every fifth day is sort of a thing of the past with all the information they have available. Don't have to like it but it's the way baseball's going

Suarez hasn’t been the same since Blotto, him and Garrett took the knee. Come to think of it, they have all sucked since the kneeling

Suarez is hitting somewhere around 130 and he would have trouble hitting a baseball if it was the size of a basketball right now. What I really like is he get lucky and his bat hits the ball and it travels over a fence and if you listened to the announcers this must mean all his problems are gone. That is true and until he comes back up to bat and once again strikes out and then again and again.

Suarez hasn’t been the same since Blotto, him and Garrett took the knee. Come to think of it, they have all sucked since the kneeling
We all realize that you are not smart enough to understand advanced metrics, like Votto was 3rd in the MLB in batting average with runners in scoring position. So I'll keep it simple for you. At the time of his injury, Votto was on pace for 27 HR and 94 RBI.

Not everything in this world is related to your crazy political point of view. Sometimes baseball players have protracted slumps. But Votto was having a decent year. ?‍♂️

I tend to agree, and generally I would blame the Ding-a-Ling. But I suspect there is a health concern, otherwise Sonny would be out there today. It may be better for him to pitch the afternoon game Weds in the warmer sunshine.

Our bats do love to see the black and gold pitching staff. Hopefully we get Hoffman 10 runs today.

Suarez is hitting somewhere around 130 and he would have trouble hitting a baseball if it was the size of a basketball right now. What I really like is he get lucky and his bat hits the ball and it travels over a fence and if you listened to the announcers this must mean all his problems are gone. That is true and until he comes back up to bat and once again strikes out and then again and again.

They are paid to be optomistic. But any reasonable statistical view of him shows him to be the worst hitting shortstop in baseball among qualified players.

Only 16 hits, 6 of which are home runs. Pretty much the definition of running into one.

We all realize that you are not smart enough to understand advanced metrics, like Votto was 3rd in the MLB in batting average with runners in scoring position. So I'll keep it simple for you. At the time of his injury, Votto was on pace for 27 HR and 94 RBI.

Not everything in this world is related to your crazy political point of view. Sometimes baseball players have protracted slumps. But Votto was having a decent year. ?‍♂️
? you love you some Blotto

I tend to agree, and generally I would blame the Ding-a-Ling. But I suspect there is a health concern, otherwise Sonny would be out there today. It may be better for him to pitch the afternoon game Weds in the warmer sunshine.

Our bats do love to see the black and gold pitching staff. Hopefully we get Hoffman 10 runs today.
I really like Sonny Gray and I like how he pitches. But I do question his grit at times. I mean we've seen this now for the whole time he's been with us. And it's not just him, it's the way alot of pitchers are these days. They are perfectly fine being pulled after 80 pitches or in the 4th inning, or skipping starts. Last year, with a guy like Bauer, Bell was not going to the mound to get the ball unless he was getting his brains beat in or until it was a good time to change pitchers. I don't get the sense that Sonny ever pushes back against this. He's perfectly fine with his 5 innings, 80 pitches and skipping starts. If you pitched a great game like he did last Wednesday vs. the White Sox, you'd think he would be chomping at the bit to get back out there?

Not to be combative, but who's fault is it they throw on a shortened spring training? Again, I've never understood this aspect either. If I was running things, by opening day, my pitchers would be ready to go 6-7 innings or more. These guys dink around in spring training and throw 2-3 innings and they we tip toe into the season. I just hate that.

Because managing pitching doesn't always mean you run your best SP out there because it'd be his normal rest with off days. Especially in the second month of the season. These guys are already throwing on a shortened Spring Training. The weather isn't the best and who knows how Sonny came off his last outing. Simply throwing a guy every fifth day is sort of a thing of the past with all the information they have available. Don't have to like it but it's the way baseball's going

They won't demote or bench him because Farmer doesn't hit any better than he does.
Farmer is actually playing really well lately. I think David Bell finally saw the light. The big thing will be when Votto comes back, what happens to everyone.
We have some hot bats now with some guys, and they need to be in the lineup almost daily...

Winker, Castellanos, Barnhart, Farmer, Naquin, Senzel. Until they slump, they are in my lineup everyday. Our outfield of Winker, Castellenos and Naquin is one of the most productive outfielders in baseball, and that's with Naquin being mostly a part time player.

Amir Garrett's suspension reduced to 5 games. Too bad they can't count the games Bell doesn't use him. Which seems to be about 3 out of every 4 games.

Amir Garrett's suspension reduced to 5 games. Too bad they can't count the games Bell doesn't use him. Which seems to be about 3 out of every 4 games.

So basically it's a one game suspension in the way your brain works.

And nearly every argument you have about the game now is that they've changed the way it's played. It's not just the Reds, it's all of baseball.

You can say if you were the manager you'd run it the old way....and you'd quickly be out of a job

Farmer is actually playing really well lately. I think David Bell finally saw the light. The big thing will be when Votto comes back, what happens to everyone.
We have some hot bats now with some guys, and they need to be in the lineup almost daily...

Winker, Castellanos, Barnhart, Farmer, Naquin, Senzel. Until they slump, they are in my lineup everyday. Our outfield of Winker, Castellenos and Naquin is one of the most productive outfielders in baseball, and that's with Naquin being mostly a part time player.

Farmer "playing well" has surged his BA to .206. That's bad in any book.

So basically it's a one game suspension in the way your brain works.

And nearly every argument you have about the game now is that they've changed the way it's played. It's not just the Reds, it's all of baseball.

You can say if you were the manager you'd run it the old way....and you'd quickly be out of a job
Honestly, with the lack of time Garrett is used anyway, a 7 game suspension is about a 2-3 game suspension anyway. He never pitches back to back days, and even when used, it's normally an inning or less. One thing that Reds fans seem to have really hard time comprehending is how these suspensions are handed out. If they gave Garrett a 2-3 game suspension, it would be very easy for Bell to just manipulate it into his normal schedule. Just appeal it, pitch him the day before he accepts the suspension and he's likely down for a few days anyway.
Maybe MLB set it a 7 games to be an actual punishment?
BTW, I'm all for Garrett getting suspended to begin with. He incited the Cubs fight and he's a repeat offender. Garrett writes bigger checks than he can cash and he's not good enough to act the way he does anyway.

I can't imagine what happens if the Reds lose two of three to the lowly Pirates. Since our 14 run outburst Monday, we've scored 3 runs in 14 innings off Pirate pitchers no one's ever heard of.

I can't imagine what happens if the Reds lose two of three to the lowly Pirates. Since our 14 run outburst Monday, we've scored 3 runs in 14 innings off Pirate pitchers no one's ever heard of.
It is 1-1 in the 6th inning and you are saying "oh no what if we lose?" Sounds like you have a loser's mentality. Go hang out with Zeeman. Losers gonna lose. Nobody ever accomplished anything great in this world with a negative attitude.

I'm sure the Reds do not have your attitude. If they did, they never would have made it to the majors. For the record, even if we lose 2 of 3 to the Pirates, they still will get on a plane and try to win game 1 in Colorado. Professional athletes aren't quitters either.

If you follow this thread at all, I'm more on the positive side than most. All I'm saying is we should not be struggling with a team that we are much better than, and with a significant pitching matchup in our favor.

I think this stems more from him hitting near .300 over the last 11 games, and he's actully playing daily now.
That puts him at hitting "near" .100 for twice as long. It's not hard to be out hitting Suarez, but lets not pretend he's anything but another offensive liability

The more concerning thing about Suarez is that he's become a headcase. Switching to a "new" (it's not new) position has devastated his ability to hit a baseball. His defense isn't much to write home about either.

Last edited: