2021 D2 Outlook

In 2009 they made a great run through the region but in 2010 nobody was stopping them.

I wonder if Avon Lake or Anthony Wayne could surprise some people this year in region 6. I know AW returns a lot, including a very good junior QB.
Anthony Wayne, maybe. Avon Lake, probably not. They’ll take a step back this year.

Anthony Wayne, maybe. Avon Lake, probably not. They’ll take a step back this year.

Avon Lake has had the teams to beat Avon in the playoffs the past two years, but until they do I can’t put them in the running for a legitimate challenge. Props to our rivals in finding ways to win!

Avon Lake has had the teams to beat Avon in the playoffs the past two years, but until they do I can’t put them in the running for a legitimate challenge. Props to our rivals in finding ways to win!
They have a very good overall program at Avon Lake, but they just rode a pretty special senior class the last couple of years. They haven’t yet proven they can reload to the same degree Avon does year after year.

To be honest, Avon Lake had already beaten Avon in Week 1 in 2020. They're clearly able to compete with Avon. When it comes to the playoffs, Avon performs at another level most seasons. Especially within their region.

We have a coaching change at Winton Woods that will impact D2. LaSalle is probably the favorite in that region anyway, but WW should be right there with them.

How are the Columbus area teams looking this year? Will any of them supplant Massillon? For that matter, will Massillon Perry take a dip without Coach Wakefield?

I really hope TCC makes it over the hump this season. They definitely can beat Avon/Avon Lake and they should have beat them last year.

They'll have no problems on defense but if they can get a punter and a solid quarterback (a position that has layers of potential drama around it as to who will start) that can fully take advantage of the weapons they have offensively, they should be a serious threat in the state tournament.
Potential drama at QB, explain....

Potential drama at QB, explain....
It really all depends on whether Clark is back at full strength (he should be), but when I wrote that back in February I was hearing some rumors that UT's former OC's (now the HC at Pitt State) son was coming back from Kansas to play for TCC (he was the back up to Vargas during the state semi run). That is no longer the case, so Clark will probably be starting come August.

It really all depends on whether Clark is back at full strength (he should be), but when I wrote that back in February I was hearing some rumors that UT's former OC's (now the HC at Pitt State) son was coming back from Kansas to play for TCC (he was the back up to Vargas during the state semi run). That is no longer the case, so Clark will probably be starting come August.
Where TCC is having trouble with the likes of Avon and Avon Lake is matching the physicality of the line play. Getting away from the TRAC and likely facing the parochial powers in NEO on a regular basis will certainly help improve the line play as time goes by.

Where TCC is having trouble with the likes of Avon and Avon Lake is matching the physicality of the line play. Getting away from the TRAC and likely facing the parochial powers in NEO on a regular basis will certainly help improve the line play as time goes by.
I have no doubt they will play those NE teams during the season but it also does look like they are leaning towards joining the Detroit Catholic League in a handful of sports. That will definitely benefit them in terms of better physical play along with playing those good Ohio teams.

What does avon have returning? If not then it’s lasalle
I would still have to favor Hoban. Avon replaces the QB and other key players, but they always do. They are a reload program at this point. The new starters will be a little green, but extremely talented. There is a belief that state championship talent is on hand for the next few seasons. All that being said, it’s still a closed enrollment public, so you get who you get and develop them.

I would think the usual players are in good shape. Hoban, Massillon, Toledo CC, Winton Woods, LaSalle. There will be others. Anthony Wayne, Olentangy. Maybe Painesville Riverside? I would love to hear from folks in all four regions as to who looks strong in their areas.

I have no doubt they will play those NE teams during the season but it also does look like they are leaning towards joining the Detroit Catholic League in a handful of sports. That will definitely benefit them in terms of better physical play along with playing those good Ohio teams.
That is a very interesting move! Is it possible for St Francis, TCC and St. John’s to all join the Detroit Catholic League?

That is a very interesting move! Is it possible for St Francis, TCC and St. John’s to all join the Detroit Catholic League?
In their "Central Division" (which would probably be the one they would be competing in) I believe they have 4-5 teams per sport, so it'd be around 6-7 conference games they would play. I don't think all sports would entirely join because of some of the differing sport schedules between states, but that's just the rumblings I have heard so far.

In their "Central Division" (which would probably be the one they would be competing in) I believe they have 4-5 teams per sport, so it'd be around 6-7 conference games they would play. I don't think all sports would entirely join because of some of the differing sport schedules between states, but that's just the rumblings I have heard so far.
That would be a great situation for football. Good competition. Reasonable travel. A league title and league honors for the kids available. Not having to schedule non-league games all over the world.

I would still have to favor Hoban. Avon replaces the QB and other key players, but they always do. They are a reload program at this point. The new starters will be a little green, but extremely talented. There is a belief that state championship talent is on hand for the next few seasons. All that being said, it’s still a closed enrollment public, so you get who you get and develop them.

I would think the usual players are in good shape. Hoban, Massillon, Toledo CC, Winton Woods, LaSalle. There will be others. Anthony Wayne, Olentangy. Maybe Painesville Riverside? I would love to hear from folks in all four regions as to who looks strong in their areas.
Look for Massillon to take a slight step back this year. We have size, speed and skill but not a lot of experience. We return 2 starters on the O line, a stud RB and a safety on D. That's it. I look for Massillon the be competitive but I don't see another title appearance THIS year.

Look for Massillon to take a slight step back this year. We have size, speed and skill but not a lot of experience. We return 2 starters on the O line, a stud RB and a safety on D. That's it. I look for Massillon the be competitive but I don't see another title appearance THIS year.
Here’s the thing. There are some programs in Ohio that are in the mix year after year, regardless of graduation losses, due to the ability of the coaches to develop the talent every step of the way, and by the time the playoffs roll around these talented kids will have 10 games of experience under their belts. Coach Moore and staff have proven capable of reloading year after year. I expect the Tigers to be right up there in 2021.

The Tigers will be better in 2021, than they were in 2020.?

Let’s go with what’s been a common hypothetical of recent D2 vintage. Your region winners are:

R5 - Hoban
R6 - Avon
R7 - Massillon
R8 - LaSalle//Winton Woods

In 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 the OHSAA paired the semis R5 vs R6, R7 vs R8. Avon was the R6 winner each time and faced Hoban/Hoban/Massillon (who was in R5 that year and beat Hoban)/Hoban. I’m pretty sure if a Toledo CC or Anthony Wayne was to win R6 they would be sent down I-75 to face the R8 winner, but in the scenario I laid out above is there anyway the OHSAA would switch it up and pair Avon with the R8 winner and Hoban vs Massillon in the other semi, or is the prospect of a Massillon vs Hoban championship game always going to win out, due to drawing power ($)?

I guess just for variety sake it would be interesting to see Avon get a look at an R8 team in a semi once in a while, though my dream scenario for Avon would be finally overcoming Hoban in a semi and beating Massillon to win Avon’s first state football championship.

Just some thoughts on a sunny June day.

Let’s go with what’s been a common hypothetical of recent D2 vintage. Your region winners are:

R5 - Hoban
R6 - Avon
R7 - Massillon
R8 - LaSalle//Winton Woods

In 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 the OHSAA paired the semis R5 vs R6, R7 vs R8. Avon was the R6 winner each time and faced Hoban/Hoban/Massillon (who was in R5 that year and beat Hoban)/Hoban. I’m pretty sure if a Toledo CC or Anthony Wayne was to win R6 they would be sent down I-75 to face the R8 winner, but in the scenario I laid out above is there anyway the OHSAA would switch it up and pair Avon with the R8 winner and Hoban vs Massillon in the other semi, or is the prospect of a Massillon vs Hoban championship game always going to win out, due to drawing power ($)?

I guess just for variety sake it would be interesting to see Avon get a look at an R8 team in a semi once in a while, though my dream scenario for Avon would be finally overcoming Hoban in a semi and beating Massillon to win Avon’s first state football championship.

Just some thoughts on a sunny June day.
they would stay with Hoban vs Avon is my guess. bit any time a Northwest team wins R6, they will get sent down I75.

What does Hudson have coming back? They were tied with Hoban at halftime and would have been up 21-14 but couldn't punch it in from the 1 at the end.

for that to happen, cjb, I think either Hoban or Massillon would need to lose in the regionals. I believe that the ohsaa gerrymanders whenever possible. Especially in D1 and D2.

It wasn't too long ago that anyone could sneak up and win this division. I lived in Maple Heights for nearly ten years and it made a run during that time.
I can attest to this. State runner up 2009! State champ in 2010! Of course WW won it 2009! Lol

Absolutely , and there is a lot more to the HS football experience than playing in a title game or winning one . A lot of interesting games in the regular season and in the play-offs before that point and what is important as you said is working to be the best you can be as players and teams in general . I just pointed out that for 7 years the outcomes have been pretty predictable in terms of who was going to be left standing . Was much less predictable at one point. D-1 has been somewhat similar , with PC breaking through twice as a public but Catholics usually win , but it's been a couple more Catholics that challenge unlike D-2 where it's been the best in the South and the best in the North trading titles.
Very true. D2 was more of a “public” division for many years, and several publics make their presence known year after year, but in the end over the last near-decade, LaSalle and Hoban took the big prize and are probably going to be the favorites in 2021.

In Region 8
1. La Salle (record may not show it, but has a lot of seniors that have playing experience last year, biggest concern is replacing Branam is going to be tough and our secondary has minimal to no varsity experience)
2. Winton Woods (Solid team very athletic, I expect them to win the ECC, My biggest concern is Chad Murphy based on how his stint at Hamilton went and there are not too many vacancies at positions but those ones are massive, plus we all saw them get exposed in the regional finals)
3. Kings (Lot of guys returning and showed they can compete with WW, Biggest concern is Volker leaving I think he massively improved that defense plus Kings seems to be a team that cant seem to make lightning strike two years in a row)
4. Anderson (with Dreyer's play style that offense will always be deadly, Biggest concern is that with Kuhn gone that offense may be more mistake prone than it was last season)

" Akron " Archbishop Hoban then the rest of D 2 far behind. Especially with their new " donated " field turf practice fields courtesy of The Cleveland Browns!!