#16 seeds the last five years (DV-DVII)

Hard to tell by common opponent since Fort Recovery didn't play St. John's who LCC beat.

But based on the fact LCC lost to Fairview, I would have given FR decent odds to win that game. Common opponent between FR and Fairview was Anna, and both lost by 34.
And that is why I included that little tidbit.

Also the Cincinnati Taft team that lost round 2.. I know of nothing of Taft football other than they are a City school from Cincy and from all my experiences of Cincy schools they never seem to impress.

I could give a crap less about what 9-16 seeds win 1 game. It doesn't take much for a 7-3 9-12 seed to pick off a 4-8 seed, which is why I thought 12 would work.

4 years from now, show me 1 single 13-16 seed that makes it to the regional championship or state semi-finals. If there's more than 1 13-16 seed that makes it to the final 4 in the next 4 years, I'll eat my words. Until then, they don't belong.
But who cares tho? Its doesn't effect you or your life so why be upset and I'm not trying to be a d!ck bro because idk you but everybody is making a big deal about watching more football after we just had a pandemic that almost jeopardize state of Ohio having football there was some states that didn't even play a 2020 season for gods sakes I mean I understand what some of y'all are saying about match up problems but god damn just line up and play you lose you lose oh well

Funny thing is you see a lot of blowouts with the 1vs8 as well but let's be honest here I called this last season everybody was complaining about everything team making the playoffs but it played out just like it should have the top teams in the state was right there were they belong when the smoke cleared and its funny as well because everybody they gets mad at the OHSAA for making money I mean its their damn job ???? like bruh y'all just be on here just complaining

The same people complaining are the ones who every year point out there's too many bowl games in college, yet watch them anyway.

They'll be in the stands for these games, complaining the entire time.
Thank you bro I'm not even trying to be mean its literally more football what more can you ask for? Its not my job to decide if teams have earned a spot in the playoffs I could careless I'm all for kids getting a chance to see what the playoffs atmosphere is like I mean yes we know the outcome is gonna be lol but still I'm just happy its more football to watch and tbh I think it helps the teams that plays a tougher schedule IMO so I'm OK with it

Covington has already began to plan their celebration for when they finally knock off a MAC team in the playoffs. If they can get the 1-3 seed and face a 3-7 MAC team such as Parkway, I like their chances. I would go to that game. And I would put my money on Parkway.

Covington has already began to plan their celebration for when they finally knock off a MAC team in the playoffs. If they can get the 1-3 seed and face a 3-7 MAC team such as Parkway, I like their chances. I would go to that game. And I would put my money on Parkway.
The MAC is a good conference but y'all really over hype it sometimes?

The MAC is a good conference but y'all really over hype it sometimes?
Try this on for hype. Coldwater went undefeated for a state title last year. Their closest game in the playoffs was a two point win over fellow conference underdog and below average team (going by their record of 3-4 which we all know is what matters) and 14 seed Ft Recovery.

I'm with you, those state titles are likely just flukes. Anyone can get lucky and snatch one if the ball bounces in their favor.

Well, I'm getting my popcorn ready. I can't wait to go a playoff game when a MAC team comes rolling in. Speaking of which, I wonder what the MAC overall record is in the first round of the playoffs. I bet it's off the chart. LOL!

Try this on for hype. Coldwater went undefeated for a state title last year. Their closest game in the playoffs was a two point win over fellow conference underdog and below average team (going by their record of 3-4 which we all know is what matters) and 14 seed Ft Recovery.

I'm with you, those state titles are likely just flukes. Anyone can get lucky and snatch one if the ball bounces in their favor.
I'm not saying they was lucky at all I actually have alot respect for coldwater but I have seen some poster talking about them.beating Massillon,Hoban ect I get it they can hold they own with smaller schools but they are not ready for that big ball lol

The last time I went to watch a Covington team try to defeat a MAC school was in 2016. Covington was 11-0 and had the #1 AP ranking just like Massilon often has in the past. They were playing 7-4 Ft Recovery.

I will give Covington credit, they kept it close for a half, but then missed a tackle in the second half and lost 42-14.

Just in a personal note, I live no where near the MAC schools.

I'm not saying they was lucky at all I actually have alot respect for coldwater but I have seen some poster talking about them.beating Massillon,Hoban ect I get it they can hold they own with smaller schools but they are not ready for that big ball lol
Ok, there were one or two MAC teams in the last 30 years who could potentially have beaten a average team of those schools, but typically no, they are just good for their divisions.

Ok, there were one or two MAC teams in the last 30 years who could potentially have beaten a average team of those schools, but typically no, they are just good for their divisions.
I disagree with "just good for their divisions". I am not saying they beat good d1 schools, but I think they're good for their divisions plus a couple. Coldwater won it all in d6. How many d4 teams you taking over them? I'm betting it's a pretty small number.

hmmmm. not sure what to think about this one. I am not calling them state champs in "big ball", but also not going to say "not ready".
Would they beat Massilon and Hoban in years when they are the 2 state finalists? probably not. Would they get run off of the field? probably not.

I compare the top MAC schools to Cardinal Mooney. They punch above their weight class. I look at years like 2007, when Cardinal Mooney beat d1 runner up Mentor, a few more d1s, a few d2's (including Hoban) then loses in the state finals to (drumroll) Coldwater.

If you believe that MAC schools would be an easy out in region 5, I think I would argue. Not calling them region winners, but I bet Hoban and Obie have easier games.

Last edited:
Well, I'm getting my popcorn ready. I can't wait to go a playoff game when a MAC team comes rolling in. Speaking of which, I wonder what the MAC overall record is in the first round of the playoffs. I bet it's off the chart. LOL!
I think on the MAC website it says they are 80-11 in first round games overall and 74-5 vs non-MAC opponents. So yes, insane.

I disagree with "just good for their divisions". I am not saying they beat good d1 schools, but I think they're good for their divisions plus a couple. Coldwater won it all in d6. How many d4 teams you taking over them? I'm betting it's a pretty small number.
Divisions 6 and 7 traditionally belong to the MAC. D5 did until Kirtland had something to say about it

I think on the MAC website it says they are 80-11 in first round games overall and 74-5 vs non-MAC opponents. So yes, insane.
This new 16 seed format is going to hurt their appearance as more MAC teams will lose to non conference teams.

I do think some Coldwater teams would have made it extremely interesting such as the 2005 Ross Homan-led team and the 2007 team. Other than that, yes let's be realistic here.
05 Coldwater vs Massillon not a chance that was prolly one of Massillon best teams ever lol

05 Coldwater vs Massillon not a chance that was prolly one of Massillon best teams ever lol
That's why I said "extremely interesting". Never said Coldwater would win.

Edit: I do stand by my opinion that Coldwater would have the best player on the field for that theoretical '05 matchup though with Ross Homan.

hmmmm. not sure what to think about this one. I am not calling them state champs in "big ball", but also not going to say "not ready".
Would they beat Massilon and Hoban in years when they are the 2 state finalists? probably not. Would they get run off of the field? probably not.

I compare the top MAC schools to Cardinal Mooney. They punch above their weight class. I look at years like 2007, when Cardinal Mooney beat d1 runner up Mentor, a few more d1s, a few d2's (including Hoban) then loses in the state finals to (drumroll) Coldwater.

If you believe that MAC schools would be an easy out in region 5, I think I would argue. Not calling them region winners, but I bet Hoban and Obie have easier games.
I mean like I said I respect the hell out of Coldwater but I don't think they would be ready for that type of talent that some of the bigger division teams have now I do think CW could beat some of the bottom tier teams in D1 or D2 tho

This new 16 seed format is going to hurt their appearance as more MAC teams will lose to non conference teams.
I think it will just show just how tough the MAC is. I think a 13 - 16 seed MAC team's playoff record will be better than all the other conferences. But what do I know.

Divisions 6 and 7 traditionally belong to the MAC. D5 did until Kirtland had something to say about it
Competitive balance had some to do with it as well. Since no one wants to transfer to Coldwater and play sports their CB # is low, and it pushed them down a division when others have jumped.
It is crazy to think there are some teams CW used to play in in DV and DIV are now up to DIII......

Dont get me wrong. Kirtland is as MAC as an non MAC team. Anna had that great title run in DVI but while in DV underperformed in the playoffs if I reacll, and Versailles is looking to make a comeback and I expect a lot out of them next season.

It wasnt too long ago Coldwater was a small D4 team but with the addition to a 7th DIV, lack of CB # and the influx of CB for many private schools in said division it has really put them far apart.

Being in a rural area, and I believe school pride and success of surrounding schools (sans Celina) has kept transfers for sports at a bare minimum. A number of kids do OE into the district, but it has not necessarily been to play sports and that is something we take great pride in. We win, or lose, with the kids we have been dealt with for the long haul.

Last edited:
I do think some Coldwater teams would have made it extremely interesting such as the 2005 Ross Homan-led team and the 2007 team. Other than that, yes let's be realistic here.
Those 2 in particular I agree would have been a game. Wouldn't necessarily win but I think it could've been 1 possession ball games