Western Reserve Academy drops football!

One of oldest programs in Ohio has taken a hiatus probably forever. One of the reasons cited was lack of interest in the sport from incoming students. Safety for the few players who actually play on the team. In reality the school has switched gears and the priority seems to be more on LaCrosse, Soccer, Men's Basketball and Hockey. Whatever the reasons it is a shame to see an institution with such a rich history drop one of its oldest programs.

One of oldest programs in Ohio has taken a hiatus probably forever. One of the reasons cited was lack of interest in the sport from incoming students. Safety for the few players who actually play on the team. In reality the school has switched gears and the priority seems to be more on LaCrosse, Soccer, Men's Basketball and Hockey. Whatever the reasons it is a shame to see an institution with such a rich history drop one of its oldest programs.
Was at the Kiski - WRA game this past year. They were a small team. Were down big to a kiski team that's not too good either.

Been to two games at WRA Stadium. Nice small venue. They be fine with lacrosse and soccer. But I don't see football returning unless some very wealthy alum raises a sink about it being shuttered.

Was at the Kiski - WRA game this past year. They were a small team. Were down big to a kiski team that's not too good either.

Been to two games at WRA Stadium. Nice small venue. They be fine with lacrosse and soccer. But I don't see football returning unless some very wealthy alum raises a sink about it being shuttered.
Obviously if it has come to this point the Alumni support for football is not there. I coached there as an assistant for 4 years. It's a great place with a lot of support and tradition.

Has this been posted publicly anywhere? I have had a few contacts with other coaches regarding scheduling, but have not seen this released to the masses yet.

As an expensive private institution, I can’t fault them for making the decision if the sport is not attracting either tuition-paying students or alumni donations.

It may not be a pandemic-related decision, but the pandemic has caused many private institutions to take a long look at themselves and re-evaluate their offerings and make some operational changes.

Has this been posted publicly anywhere? I have had a few contacts with other coaches regarding scheduling, but have not seen this released to the masses yet.
I know they were scheduled to play Vienna Mathews in their first game this year; however, that game was cancelled and Mathews picked up Steubenville Catholic. Probably the best way to find out is to see if they have a schedule for this upcoming season.

Here we go with the binary choices again. Many schools in Michigan play 8 man football (27 programs) and Ohio has 8 programs which play 8 man football. Danbury and Sandusky St. Mary's are two schools reasonably close to Hudson to schedule. You have a former soccer star at WRA and Akron who is the Athletic Director, and a new female headmaster who is probably not a Browns fan. As a football alum from WRA I am not happy about the program being dropped. Apparently missed the announcement this past spring stating the program was going on hiatus....but don't worry they have added an office of diversity and inclusion (dean and director) so everything must be okay there, right? My only recourse is to simply stop donating to the school. Just like my college [Kenyon] I don't recognize the institutions I once held in such high regard.

Here we go with the binary choices again. Many schools in Michigan play 8 man football (27 programs) and Ohio has 8 programs which play 8 man football. Danbury and Sandusky St. Mary's are two schools reasonably close to Hudson to schedule. You have a former soccer star at WRA and Akron who is the Athletic Director, and a new female headmaster who is probably not a Browns fan. As a football alum from WRA I am not happy about the program being dropped. Apparently missed the announcement this past spring stating the program was going on hiatus....but don't worry they have added an office of diversity and inclusion (dean and director) so everything must be okay there, right? My only recourse is to simply stop donating to the school. Just like my college [Kenyon] I don't recognize the institutions I once held in such high regard.

@bill 75 you must be completely traumatized by what happened to both institutions. Not to make this political but both of those schools have become so extremely progressive that anyone who graduated 30 years ago or more might be allowed back on campus without getting "reeducated". ?