OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

I think it makes the regular season more special. We can get Marion Local (DVII) Vs Clinton Massie (DIV). That would be what they call a snobbleblocker!
well they'd have to agree to schedule it first, I think the chance for that is better when they add in strength of schedule. If not, why not schedule just enough winnable games to try and ensure a top 4 seed, and limit the challenging ones in an effort to try and secure two home playoff games? (hypothetical here, although I am sure someone will try to schedule their way to a top 4 seed.)

Watered down garbage... Just let everybody in at this point! Been going downhill ever since they expanded it from the Top 4 in a region.

well they'd have to agree to schedule it first, I think the chance for that is better when they add in strength of schedule. If not, why not schedule just enough winnable games to try and ensure a top 4 seed, and limit the challenging ones in an effort to try and secure two home playoff games? (hypothetical here, although I am sure someone will try to schedule their way to a top 4 seed.)
I like the just get in mentality and play tough competition and get ready for the playoffs. I can't wait to go to a playoff game where there is a lower seed MAC team playing one of those types. :LOL:

Watered down garbage... Just let everybody in at this point! Been going downhill ever since they expanded it from the Top 4 in a region.
You're crazy. There are a lot of worthy teams that miss the playoffs. WW 2019 is a great example.

If OHSAA is not going to pay for travel, then the teams should have more flexibility in scheduling games. Ideally, you should be able to leave in the morning, play your game, and drive home in one day. Ohio is a small state in regards to land area, and it has good roads. A team should be able to go from the far southwest to the far northeast in one day.

Considering this, I understand why West Virginia allows visitors to pick the times of the games.
This is kinda how other states work. Reason why they're Saturday afternoon games for that reason. Unfortunately, Ohio is fairly strict on scheduling games purely because that's how they decided to schedule games. No wiggle room.

In Texas, games are scheduled entirely by the schools and all costs are paid by the schools playing. They just owe the state $1 for every ticket sold.

Just think, how big of a crowd it would bring when Seeds 1 thru 8 get a MAC team coming to town? Wow!

This is kinda how other states work. Reason why they're Saturday afternoon games for that reason. Unfortunately, Ohio is fairly strict on scheduling games purely because that's how they decided to schedule games. No wiggle room.

In Texas, games are scheduled entirely by the schools and all costs are paid by the schools playing. They just owe the state $1 for every ticket sold.

That seems like a solid plan. Hopefully, the schools profit from this.

I know schools keep more money if you buy tickets from the school in Ohio. If you wait until the game, more money goes to OHSAA.

Of course, there is a lot more potential for travel in Texas. While I have long been critical of regions in Ohio, you definitely must have them in a state with as much area as Texas.

I see two arguments here.
1. Making the playoffs used to be special and this cheapens it
2. The last teams in are going to get hurt or embarrassed by the top seeds.

I 100% agree with the first. Our banner of years we made the playoffs probably needs to be retired now.
I 100% disagree with the 2nd. I'll be very interested to see how many of the 1/16,2/15,3/14, & 4/13 games are competitive. Then compare them to the other 1st round games and even the 2nd round games to see if there is a big difference.

I 100% agree with the first. Our banner of years we made the playoffs probably needs to be retired now.
I 100% disagree with the 2nd. I'll be very interested to see how many of the 1/16,2/15,3/14, & 4/13 games are competitive. Then compare them to the other 1st round games and even the 2nd round games to see if there is a big difference.
If a SOS comes into play, I think those 16/1 2/15 games can get more lopsided. Because in theory some teams who might be a weaker 1 seed with a weaker schedule could rop to a 3 or 4 and a stronger 15 or 16 might move up more with the SOS component depending on how they do it

Many first round games are already laughers, as we all know.

Running clocks, many teams playing with sportsmanship and wanting to get kids to the bench early to prevent injuries, will liklekly keep the game scores close to what we have seen in the past in the first round.

I think what this will do is extend the bigger blowouts deeper in the playoffs.

Many first round games are already laughers, as we all know.

Running clocks, many teams playing with sportsmanship and wanting to get kids to the bench early to prevent injuries, will liklekly keep the game scores close to what we have seen in the past in the first round.

I think what this will do is extend the bigger blowouts deeper in the playoffs.
a great example of this was Van Wert against Shelby last year. Up like 42-0 at half in the regional title, they played the JV guys almost the entire second half. Shelby did as well after a series or two

Here we are reacting our "Point of View" about the new playoff structure. First, I like to say is..."I like it." Why? Because from the number of kids between the grades of 9 to 11, who are heading to the 2021 season stated..."WE HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS." I say to you who disagree...What if a 13 seed wins the trophy. Or a team ends the season on a "Hot" streak, and finish 10th seed? Should they be punished? Let's remember, this game is not for us adults? And with the number of High Schools who participate in football in Ohio, sixteen is a "Perfect" number, for playoffs participation.

Just another way everyone gets a trophy mindset. The regular season is basically a preseason before the actual Real games begin. OHSAA loves the 16 team playoff because they will get more playoff $$$

Just another way everyone gets a trophy mindset. The regular season is basically a preseason before the actual Real games begin. OHSAA loves the 16 team playoff because they will get more playoff $$$
The regular season is mostly worthless in every division but completely worthless in D1

I can say that there is already an impact on scheduling, in terms of, schools who had tried to avoid local competition are now inquiring to play, which is something many thought might happen. This would be a positive of the 16 teams

Then tell your AD to not play the regular season. Jesus Christ the hand wringing and crying in this thread is re tar did.
It's a lot easier to just be a sheep and accept whatever happens even if it's terrible for the sport. This ruins the accomplishment of making the playoffs. Makes it meaningless to do so especially in D1 where virtually everyone gets in.

Football regular season was special because the games meant more. You needed to win big matchups to get in. Now it's like every other sport