2021 New Balance Outdoor Nationals - Cancelled

What about there is basically no transmissions occurring outdoors do these people not understand. The Texas Rangers have been selling out their stadium for a month and there has been no issues.

Last edited:
I have attended this event many times in the past two decades and can't remember a time I have missed indoor and outdoor nationals. Now it will be two years in a row.

There are many factors going into this decision below the surface value.

One of the major factors is the venue. North Carolina A&T has done a tremendous job with this over the years. With that being said, I don't know a university that has allowed high school students to use their facilities in the entire country this year. The liability does not fit the cost factor. The entire indoor season in Ohio- not one college, OSU with all sports from basketball, wrestling to track, and the even University of Louisville for the prestigious Eastern Relays. There are too many lawsuit-happy people out there for universities to justify making a couple of thousand dollars to rent their facility out.
Another factor is that all North Carolina high school athletes have worn masks all season long. This was a statewide mandate from the Governor and their HS federation. If you have seen pictures of football, basketball and other sports- the kids played with masks on in every competition. I believe Gov. Roy Cooper is just now relaxing some mandates at this time. But North Carolina was and has been under strict lockdowns compared to Ohio.

E&V - All true, but also a true indication of how nuts this nation is. It's not a nation of the people, by the people, for the people. It is a nation of lawyers, by lawyers, for lawyers. We are a horrible nation legally.

I have attended this event many times in the past two decades and can't remember a time I have missed indoor and outdoor nationals. Now it will be two years in a row.

To be clear the New Balance Nationals that was cancelled is not the meet that has been held at NC A&T. That meet - conducted by National Scholastic Athletics Foundation - is currently still on, though the venue for this year is TBD.

IWith that being said, I don't know a university that has allowed high school students to use their facilities in the entire country this year. T
This not true. A number of district swim meets were held on campuses including 2 at BGSU. U of Findlay hosted about a half dozen HS swim meets. I believe Tiffin U and others hosted HS indoor track meets and even the Ohio HS state championship was at U of Dayton.

This not true. A number of district swim meets were held on campuses including 2 at BGSU. U of Findlay hosted about a half dozen HS swim meets. I believe Tiffin U and others hosted HS indoor track meets and even the Ohio HS state championship was at U of Dayton.
OK! You are 100% correct we had a normal indoor season at universities. I am wrong. Did you really disagree over this issue?

Daily cases are now one-tenth the number of daily flu cases in the
middle of a mild flu season, with a now-identical case fatality rate.

I found the following...

Sean Carney - Darby, 6th in the 2 mile at 9:08.11
Dylan Christian - Granville, 7th in the 800M at 1:52.97
Conner McClure - Green, 4th in the PV at 4.88 (~16'0")
Jack DeFrancisco - Davidson, 10th in the PV 4.63(~15-2.5)
Jimmy Rhoades - Liberty Union, 12th in the PV 4.48(~14' 8.5")
Malachi Collier - Maple Hts?, 3rd in the LJ at 7.26(~23'9.75")
Alex Smith - Darby, 13th in the LJ at 6.89(~22' 7.5")
Owen Karas - St. Charles, 22nd in the Mile at 4:17.22
Gabe Hickman - Turpin, 11th in the SP at 17.67 (~58')
Kenna Stimmel - Margaretta?, 3rd in the PV at 4;17 (~13' 8.25)
Brynn Rychlik - Marysville, 19th in the PV at 3.70 (12'1.5")
Annika Kinley - Lakota West, 3rd in HJ at 1.74 (5' 8.5")

Certainly not an exhaustive list...

In any event, much less Ohio representation than for previous "outdoor nationals". I suppose it's just too far... too far out in time, too far away.