La Salle schedules national powerhouse IMG Academy WK. 3!

They have like 18 starters back...
I agree. X will be very strong next year, especially on both sided of the LOS. But I am very happy for LaSalle that they were able to get IMG up here. Good competition is good competition. And as far as D2 goes, Didn't X win one of its State championships a few years ago but did not even win its league? LaSalle has held its own for quite a while now.

I’d really like to see schools refuse to schedule all star teams like IMG. It’s tough for a regular high school team to compete. IMG actively recruits kids from around the country and I know they’ve rubbed many an opposing coach the wrong way.

I’ve heard it mentioned earlier that LaSalle would have competed better last year. This seems to be the m.o. for IMG. They did the same thing with Duncanville last year. They were still very good, but they graduated some key pieces to their two-time state runner up teams, including their all world QB.

I'm not sure IMG waits for teams to be down before they'll schedule them. It's more teams have success and then reach out to IMG in hopes of filling an open date. Personally, not a fan of the "prep" schools but recognize the talent on their rosters.

The game gives LaSalle national exposure for their program and college coaches will tune in. And let's be honest, it's not like all the Lancers grew up in the neighborhood.

I see quite a few posts on here underestimating La Salle, but this is the same energy that cats had on here when X played #2 Lakeland (FL) back in ‘06. The Bombers weren’t even the best team in Cincinnati that year (lost 24-7 to Colerain in week 13), let alone Ohio. That said, Lakeland needed overtime to beat X 25-22.

Yes, schools like IMG have changed the landscape of high school football, but isn’t the main goal to be the absolute best? I live all the way up in Warren, but even I know that the GCL has never backed down from anybody. Several programs in Ohio could make that claim as well, but that mentality is lacking in most of the state now cause as a whole, we’ve gotten soft. Heck, Massillon was gonna play Bishop Gorman (NV) last year before the pandemic shook things up!

Technically, La Salle hasn’t even been a great program for that long (2015), but like their GCL rivals, they’ll play whoever, whenever. If you want to be great, that’s the mentality that you need to have and if you don’t, why even put the pads on? Most of us are upset about the “everybody gets a participation trophy” aspect of the future playoff system, but that ain’t enough for La Salle. I commend them for it and I’m excited about the opportunities that they’re opening up for their youth. They just added Garrett Celek and Ben Martin to their coaching staff, and I’m 100% sure that they won’t be intimidated by any “talent” on the opposing sideline.

Go shock the world La Salle! Win or lose, I’ll be a Lancer fan in week 3! ??

If LaSalle has anywhere near the talent they have had the past 5-6yrs I think this game will be close.

I see quite a few posts on here underestimating La Salle, but this is the same energy that cats had on here when X played #2 Lakeland (FL) back in ‘06. The Bombers weren’t even the best team in Cincinnati that year (lost 24-7 to Colerain in week 13), let alone Ohio. That said, Lakeland needed overtime to beat X 25-22.

Yes, schools like IMG have changed the landscape of high school football, but isn’t the main goal to be the absolute best? I live all the way up in Warren, but even I know that the GCL has never backed down from anybody. Several programs in Ohio could make that claim as well, but that mentality is lacking in most of the state now cause as a whole, we’ve gotten soft. Heck, Massillon was gonna play Bishop Gorman (NV) last year before the pandemic shook things up!

It's just not a level playing playing field with IMG. This is different than playing a Lakeland from 2006. I know they were very talented, but not on the level IMG is. I don't see anyone knocking Lasalle's decision to play the game. I have seen more posters applaud them for scheduling the game. Everyone is just being realistic saying Lasalle has no chance in the game.

Among the Lancers successes recently are 5 wins in 7 years against DI Elder. ;)

Last season Lasalle was supposed to have their best team ever and Elder was coming off a state runner-up season losing a ton to graduation. Lasalle narrowly escaped with a 1 point OT win.

Lasalle has had some nice success the last 7 years, but somehow people think Lasalle is the best in Ohio which is just not accurate. Just 2 seasons ago, Lasalle was 4-5 and missed the playoffs in Division 2. I can also bring up Lasalle losing to St. Xavier 42-7 in 2017 and then losing to St. Xavier again 42-7 in 2018.

I'm not a total Lasalle hater. I pull for them in the Division 2 playoffs every season, but some of the comments in this thread I disagree with.

Last season Lasalle was supposed to have their best team ever and Elder was coming off a state runner-up season losing a ton to graduation. Lasalle narrowly escaped with a 1 point OT win.

Lasalle has had some nice success the last 7 years, but somehow people think Lasalle is the best in Ohio which is just not accurate. Just 2 seasons ago, Lasalle was 4-5 and missed the playoffs in Division 2. I can also bring up Lasalle losing to St. Xavier 42-7 in 2017 and then losing to St. Xavier again 42-7 in 2018.

I'm not a total Lasalle hater. I pull for them in the Division 2 playoffs every season, but some of the comments in this thread I disagree with.

And yet, it was the fifth win in seven tries. That awful 2018 season you seem to be weighting as much as four state titles and five regional titles very nearly ended with a sixth win over Elder in that span was it not for a LS player holding away from the play on a late go-ahead TD pass from a back-up QB to a sophomore in a monsoon on the road.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone calling LS "the best in the state." But they damn sure are among the best the past seven years ... certainly better than the Panthers and probably 90 percent or more of the other DI schools.

But go ahead and argue that it's just DII.

Quit with the D2 stuff. LaSalle and Hoban can and have gone toe to toe with Ohios best D1 teams over the past 5-10 years. Not a fan of either but facts are facts.

Quit with the D2 stuff. LaSalle and Hoban can and have gone toe to toe with Ohios best D1 teams over the past 5-10 years. Not a fan of either but facts are facts.

:ROFLMAO: Facts are facts, they are D2, playing in D2 playoffs, winning a game in the regular season against a D1 school is not the same as winning 5 straight D1 playoff games.

:ROFLMAO: Facts are facts, they are D2, playing in D2 playoffs, winning a game in the regular season against a D1 school is not the same as winning 5 straight D1 playoff games.

You know it's a bit more than that. Two of those DII state champs went 3-0 in the GCL South, including a win over the 2016 DI state champ. Each one of La Salle's four state champs could have won five straight DI playoffs games, the 2014 the most likely.

It's just not a level playing playing field with IMG. This is different than playing a Lakeland from 2006. I know they were very talented, but not on the level IMG is. I don't see anyone knocking Lasalle's decision to play the game. I have seen more posters applaud them for scheduling the game. Everyone is just being realistic saying Lasalle has no chance in the game.

X, Elder, & Moeller have played way more nationally ranked teams than La Salle has and very few gave y'all a chance against them. In fact, in 2007, a 7-4 Elder squad knocked off Charlotte Indendence 41-34, which ended their 109-game winning streak, the longest in the entire country at the time. Kyle Rudolph played on that Elder squad and we all know where he's at now. Yes, many have gave La Salle props for scheduling the game, but I've also seen some "They should have played them in such & such year" type posts. The kids within La Salle's program have spent the last seven years watching the Lancers win 4 state titles and, as mentioned by others in this post, includes years when they dominated the GCL and even beated the eventual D1 champion in the process. The 14-17 year old kids there now can only hear stories about their "doormat" years because ever since they were 7-10 years old, they've been watching La Salle compete at the highest of levels.

Again, it's a new day and from where most of us stand, IMG seems far more advanced than most (if not all) of the national powerhouses that we're used to seeing. However, I'm 100% against the mentality that Ohio's top programs have to be inferior to anybody. Heck, they literally had to develop the IMG-type schools to overshadow the programs that spent decades paying their dues. Just because certain guys are highly ranked don't mean they can't get punched in the mouth by a team full players who are just as hungry. The guys that I went to school with at Warren G. Harding wanted to play Concord De La Salle (CA) while they were on their legendary win streak, which eventually reached 151 games. Talking to people around here now, most wouldn't even entertain the thought of doing something like that today. Harding wasn't winning state championships 20 years ago (last state title was in 1990), but back then, Ohio was filled with kids that were bred to seek out the highest competition possible. I'm glad that culture still exists in Cincinnati.

You know it's a bit more than that. Two of those DII state champs went 3-0 in the GCL South, including a win over the 2016 DI state champ. Each one of La Salle's four state champs could have won five straight DI playoffs games, the 2014 the most likely.

2014 St.X 24- 21 LS regular season

X, Elder, & Moeller have played way more nationally ranked teams than La Salle has and very few gave y'all a chance against them. In fact, in 2007, a 7-4 Elder squad knocked off Charlotte Indendence 41-34, which ended their 109-game winning streak, the longest in the entire country at the time. Kyle Rudolph played on that Elder squad and we all know where he's at now. Yes, many have gave La Salle props for scheduling the game, but I've also seen some "They should have played them in such & such year" type posts. The kids within La Salle's program have spent the last seven years watching the Lancers win 4 state titles and, as mentioned by others in this post, includes years when they dominated the GCL and even beated the eventual D1 champion in the process. The 14-17 year old kids there now can only hear stories about their "doormat" years because ever since they were 7-10 years old, they've been watching La Salle compete at the highest of levels.

Again, it's a new day and from where most of us stand, IMG seems far more advanced than most (if not all) of the national powerhouses that we're used to seeing. However, I'm 100% against the mentality that Ohio's top programs have to be inferior to anybody. Heck, they literally had to develop the IMG-type schools to overshadow the programs that spent decades paying their dues. Just because certain guys are highly ranked don't mean they can't get punched in the mouth by a team full players who are just as hungry. The guys that I went to school with at Warren G. Harding wanted to play Concord De La Salle (CA) while they were on their legendary win streak, which eventually reached 151 games. Talking to people around here now, most wouldn't even entertain the thought of doing something like that today. Harding wasn't winning state championships 20 years ago (last state title was in 1990), but back then, Ohio was filled with kids that were bred to seek out the highest competition possible. I'm glad that culture still exists in Cincinnati.

Well said. I hope Lasalle keeps it respectable. Lasalle has 3 good starters back on the offensive line and RB Gi'Bran Payne who is a 4/5 star recruit. They lost a ton on defense though.

And yet, it was the fifth win in seven tries. That awful 2018 season you seem to be weighting as much as four state titles and five regional titles very nearly ended with a sixth win over Elder in that span was it not for a LS player holding away from the play on a late go-ahead TD pass from a back-up QB to a sophomore in a monsoon on the road.

I wasn't going to bring up the should have/could have, but since you did. Elder should have won in 2017 except for a phantom holding call that took a likely game winning TD away from Elder with under a minute left at Lasalle that was also in the rain. Lasalle also barely escaped the last two years, and I could easily argue how Elder could have/should have won both those. Then, you're talking about Elder winning 5 of the last 7. Congratulations on being lucky I guess.

This is an interesting match-up. I always enjoy the first couple weeks of the season where there are these national high school showcases on ESPN. Without a doubt, La Salle is a high quality Ohio football program. They have more or less dominated DII. Sure, it's DII, but they've held their own against the GCL as well in recent years. La Salle is a fine pick to carry the Ohio banner. With that said though, I'm not sure they have much of a chance against IMG. To be fair, I'm not sure hardly any Ohio teams would have much luck against IMG. Not only is IMG a national power, but they're sort of the "reigning national champion" of high school football. Not that that's a real title, but IMG Academy regularly plays fellow nationally ranked football programs and has blown the barn doors off of them. They're next level good. I look forward to seeing how La Salle fares. I think a lot of folks will be rooting for them.

Good Post.... Elder actually played De La Salle and got their butts whooped! LOL

gosh... they might as well not show up....
They really shouldn’t. It’s going to be a bloodbath if IMG plays just their “B” game. And that’s not an indictment of LS, IMG would destroy ANY team in Ohio.

Technically, La Salle hasn’t even been a great program for that long (2015), but like their GCL rivals, they’ll play whoever, whenever. If you want to be great, that’s the mentality that you need to have and if you don’t, why even put the pads on? Most of us are upset about the “everybody gets a participation trophy” aspect of the future playoff system, but that ain’t enough for La Salle. I commend them for it and I’m excited about the opportunities that they’re opening up for their youth. They just added Garrett Celek and Ben Martin to their coaching staff, and I’m 100% sure that they won’t be intimidated by any “talent” on the opposing sideline.

Go shock the world La Salle! Win or lose, I’ll be a Lancer fan in week 3! ??
IMG would beat that Lakeland team by 2-3 TDs. They’re not a real school, so they can legally recruit the top talent around the country.

As a side note, would love to see what the different suburbs could do put together.

Ex. Olentangy(all 4 schools together), Pickerington, Lakotas, DeSales/Hartley together... then throw an IMG or a Gorman on the other side of the field.

The way Ohio has it set up right now though, hard for anybody to compete against the Nations best.

I have zero interest in watching an IMG type HS team.

It goes against what I feel interscholastic sports are all about.

You field a team with kids who are from that town and school district with a vast majority have been in the district their whole lives. Sure, a few move ins through the natural progression of life but HS sports, for me, are all about those kids who have been life long residents, not some all star squad

I remember. La Salle should have won that game and the adversity of losing a game like that did a lot for them going forward.

Does La Salle ever lose a game without excuses or should haves?

That's all I'm getting from this thread. Should have won this. Should have won that. If, if, if.

If LaSalle has anywhere near the talent they have had the past 5-6yrs I think this game will be close.
If LS has the same talent they've had the last 5-6 years, they will be lucky even at home, to keep it within 21 points. The LS program has been excellent the last 6-7 years, but the size and athleticism of IMG will overwhelm them.

Does La Salle ever lose a game without excuses or should haves?

That's all I'm getting from this thread. Should have won this. Should have won that. If, if, if.

Sounds like you've only read two posts then. I've noted a game in 2014 I thought they should have won and a game in 2018 that they would have won if a kid hadn't held an opponent. That's one less if than you included in the dumb post you made here.