OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

I guess the question now is does the coach of the higher seed in these blowout games play his starters for 1 Q and cruise to a 35-0 type victory or does he push for that 70-0 halftime lead?

Find me a state championship team that plays all 4 quarters every single game. You won’t. Most of these teams are on the sidelines by halftime rooting on their back ups. So that wear and tear on a high school athlete argument is bogus. And if I was a 16 Seed team, I would love the opportunity to be the Cinderella of the state.

I feel like people are upset that their playoff banners are going to be invalidated now that so many teams make it. It’s not that serious. The only games I truly expect to be blowouts are the 1v16 game, the two v 15, and the 3v 14.

obviously this is a money grab by OHSAA. I don’t really think there is debating that. Is it inherently harmful to add another game for 14 schools across the state? Not really.
There are frequently blowouts in the state title games. You will see more than first round blowouts in this expanded playoff structure.

Some of you are forgetting it's about competition.
Really? I thought this was high school sports....you know "about the kids" and all that stuff.
Look at it this way you'll get another week to wear your letter jacket from 1982 for another week, while you tailgate and get drunk before entering the stadium to scream at kids, coaches and officials because it's about competition.

Or, everyone gets a trophy! YEA!

Be sure and go watch Marion Local mollywhop Ridgemont 77-0 in week 11. But hey, they made the playoffs going 2-8! Woohoo!

SMH.
So...Is that different than Marion Local playing an 8 seed in their region on any given year? New Miami or Waynesfield
What about round 2 or 3? I seem to remember a pretty well in hand win for Marion Local in a lot of those games.

Or hey...What about state championships....A seem to recall some pretty overwhelming blowouts in many of those games in the previous years.
But hey maybe we should remind those kids they don't deserve to be there since they got blown out?

Let's go back to the paper championships then? Crown the champ at the end of the season and be done with it.

If it's blowouts you're worried about...Then no since having the playoffs at all. Blowouts happen in HS/College/NFL.

Hilarious that you're stuck on a "everyone gets one" path. Across the state there will be kids from all over, the Clevelands,Akron, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati etc.. Not to mention the Ridgemonts, New Miami etc etc that will have the opportunity to make sure their kids are fed, have a safe place to go to after school and have an adult that cares.

But hey, you're right, let's go back to paper championships so we can make sure that everyone knows "Well you might get blown out so, Yea, These guys win."

What a bunch of liberal bs, yeah it takes Hillary's village to raise a child. Why not just let everyone in make it a 17 game schedule ? What is the limit ? Talk about what is good for the kids, a 16 game football schedule is good for a H.S. athlete ? I don't think so. Like others have pointed out, you think some school which finished 16th in their region is going to enjoy getting pummeled by a St. X or a LaSalle. I highly doubt it.
What good is a 15 game schedule for a HS athlete?
What good is 14? 13? 12? 11? 10? 9?
We can play the game of "what good is it" all day.
What good is it to play a game at all? Last I checked there is risk of injury every practice/game on the field.

Want to address safety?
Why are their 2 a days. NCAA banned them years ago, and yet, many HS coaches have kids practice for 6 hours in the summer. Is that "good for athletes" as you put it?

Cut the regular season to 9 games if it hurts your touchy feelings that now it's "too many games".

Have you been to many of the communities that you just wave a hand at? Have you seen the difference in the communities while the football team is still playing? Maybe you should take a drive to some and ask people.

Will Middletown lose to St.X: Likely yes, will it be pretty, likely no. But as I stated in another post....I seem to recall St. X winning a lot of games quite handedly. Let's cancel the playoffs then...Cause someone might get blown out...
Sounds like you're going down the path of "We have to protect them from themselves because they don't realize how bad they have it." Sounds pretty....As you phrased it "Hillary" style.

Grow up, things change, you don't have to like it. But an extra week will provide meals/safety/structure/discipline/school attendance/school discipline etc etc etc at all of these places for at minimum 1 extra week.
And heck, maybe they pull an UMBC and beat the best team in the country in the 1st round. Simply because they believed they could.

What good is it to play a game at all? Last I checked there is risk of injury every practice/game on the field.

Want to address safety?
Why are their 2 a days. NCAA banned them years ago, and yet, many HS coaches have kids practice for 6 hours in the summer. Is that "good for athletes" as you put it?

Cut the regular season to 9 games if it hurts your touchy feelings that now it's "too many games".

Have you been to many of the communities that you just wave a hand at? Have you seen the difference in the communities while the football team is still playing? Maybe you should take a drive to some and ask people.

Will Middletown lose to St.X: Likely yes, will it be pretty, likely no. But as I stated in another post....I seem to recall St. X winning a lot of games quite handedly. Let's cancel the playoffs then...Cause someone might get blown out...
Sounds like you're going down the path of "We have to protect them from themselves because they don't realize how bad they have it." Sounds pretty....As you phrased it "Hillary" style.

Grow up, things change, you don't have to like it. But an extra week will provide meals/safety/structure/discipline/school attendance/school discipline etc etc etc at all of these places for at minimum 1 extra week.
And heck, maybe they pull an UMBC and beat the best team in the country in the 1st round. Simply because they believed they could.
Cinderella's winning in March Madness often have great records in their leagues and just fly under the radar.

This proposal will have 3-7 type teams making it across many divisions. In D1 all but 2 will make the playoffs in each region meaning 1-9 or 0-10 teams have a shot.

The playoffs used to mean something in football. Now it's not an accomplishment to make it. Regular season matchups had big stakes before. Now I'll be watching iggy , eds and mentor play each other knowing that none of them will miss the playoffs again no matter if they win or lose these matchups

It's bad for the sport. It devalues the regular season big time

Last edited:
Cinderella's winning in March Madness often have great records in their leagues and just fly under the radar.

This proposal will have 3-7 type teams making it across many divisions. In D1 all but 2 will make the playoffs in each region meaning 1-9 or 0-10 teams have a shot.

The playoffs used to mean something in football. Now it's not an accomplishment to make it. Regular season matchups had big stakes before. Now I'll be watching iggy , eds and mentor play each other knowing that none of them will miss the playoffs again no matter if they win or loses these matchups

It's bad for the sport. It devalues the regular season big time
Perhaps.
Or maybe it opens the door for better scheduling in the regular season.

How many of those 1-9 and 2-8 teams have kids throw in the towel 2 or 3 games before the season is over because, like many here are saying, it's over and they will get beat anyways.
It happens all over. Look at score tendencies and all of a sudden in week 8/9/10 in a lot of cases those games get out of hand within minutes because a lot of those kids/coaches packed it in and are "playing for next year."
Does this make week 9/10 less valuable to St. X? maybe. (You could argue that their blowout of Pick Central in the state finals shows we should just do paper championships again and fine) But for 32 Teams per division that's 224 teams (if each team averages near 40 kids, that is nearly 9,000 kids playing for something more and competiting to get better for a chance to shock the world. Not to mention this now changes the playoffs entirely for the current 6-8 seeds in many regions, but I digress.

I'll take the competitive increase week 9/10 etc from 224 teams over the competitive decrease of the 28 number 1 teams (which, based on the fact they are #1. They usually are going to go out and compete vs whoever is against them.)

Want to address safety?

I think this guy likes the new playoffs. Lol.

He must support a 2-8 team that would be state champs if they weren't in such a tough league. This gives them a chance to show what they are made of!

If y'all worry about blowouts.....that is the nature of HS football.

When I find my stats, I will post but I have the MOV of the championship games per every variation of division breakdown. Never have they been within 1 score and almost always the AVG is double digits

I think this guy likes the new playoffs. Lol.

He must support a 2-8 team that would be state champs if they weren't in such a tough league. This gives them a chance to show what they are made of!
I am a proponent of keeping it at 8 games. But that is not an option. The debate at the state level was between 12 and 16, not 8.

Is it a money grab, you betcha. Will there be blowouts. You betcha. I've decided to look at the positives of 16 teams per region since that is what ultimately won out and was decided. The sky is not falling as many would have you believe and in fact this can be a good thing.

Ultimately this decision does not impact me. It will impact the players/coaches/communities on huge levels and while I know many coaches that seem to be on the side disappointed with this. We have not heard the same disappointment from any players anywhere across the state.

If it's all about the kids (as the coaches and the state would have you believe) then they should be the ones being asked.
Until then, I'll find the positives of 9,000 kids getting a playoff opportunity that wouldn't have.

I am a proponent of keeping it at 8 games. But that is not an option. The debate at the state level was between 12 and 16, not 8.

Is it a money grab, you betcha. Will there be blowouts. You betcha. I've decided to look at the positives of 16 teams per region since that is what ultimately won out and was decided. The sky is not falling as many would have you believe and in fact this can be a good thing.

Ultimately this decision does not impact me. It will impact the players/coaches/communities on huge levels and while I know many coaches that seem to be on the side disappointed with this. We have not heard the same disappointment from any players anywhere across the state.

If it's all about the kids (as the coaches and the state would have you believe) then they should be the ones being asked.
Until then, I'll find the positives of 9,000 kids getting a playoff opportunity that wouldn't have.
I don't care one way or the other. But if you're thinking the kids on a 1-9 team are looking forward to getting throttled by the #1 seed you're mistaken. Maybe in the first year because it will be new to them but as the novelty wears off so will their excitement. It will just feel like the first round of the basketball tournament at that point. Take your lumps and turn in your gear.

To be fair.... A money grab isn't an accurate characterization....

Yes, it is about money....... It's needed to survive, however. It's hardly an unprincipled effort. (we can debate the reasons why the need the money 'til the cows come home ;) )

Really? I thought this was high school sports....you know "about the kids" and all that stuff.
Look at it this way you'll get another week to wear your letter jacket from 1982 for another week, while you tailgate and get drunk before entering the stadium to scream at kids, coaches and officials because it's about competition.
Yeah why bother even keeping score?

So...Is that different than Marion Local playing an 8 seed in their region on any given year? New Miami or Waynesfield
What about round 2 or 3? I seem to remember a pretty well in hand win for Marion Local in a lot of those games.

Or hey...What about state championships....A seem to recall some pretty overwhelming blowouts in many of those games in the previous years.
But hey maybe we should remind those kids they don't deserve to be there since they got blown out?

Let's go back to the paper championships then? Crown the champ at the end of the season and be done with it.

If it's blowouts you're worried about...Then no since having the playoffs at all. Blowouts happen in HS/College/NFL.

Hilarious that you're stuck on a "everyone gets one" path. Across the state there will be kids from all over, the Clevelands,Akron, Toledo, Columbus, Cincinnati etc.. Not to mention the Ridgemonts, New Miami etc etc that will have the opportunity to make sure their kids are fed, have a safe place to go to after school and have an adult that cares.

But hey, you're right, let's go back to paper championships so we can make sure that everyone knows "Well you might get blown out so, Yea, These guys win."
No, I was mistaken...THIS is the stupidest thing you'll read all day. Bravo, NoHomer10!

I don't care one way or the other. But if you're thinking the kids on a 1-9 team are looking forward to getting throttled by the #1 seed you're mistaken. Maybe in the first year because it will be new to them but as the novelty wears off so will their excitement. It will just feel like the first round of the basketball tournament at that point. Take your lumps and turn in your gear.
Concur. Not many in here admit they played on horrible teams.

I have.
All four years.

Last thing we wanted to do was play another week. Id say by week 7 we were ready to pack it in and the goal was to not get hurt for hoops, or more and more important, baseball.
If I am on a 1-3 win team, a senior, standout in other sports, I would entertain sitting out the playoff game because there is zero upside.

LOL.... and people laughed for years and years when I'd say someday everyone would be in.

getting closer ladies.

It's football! It's too hard on the body! You can't let everyone in! Too many games!! Football is DIFFERENT

whatever....
We are laughing at what a farce this is.

Definitely financially motivated. Doesn't help the kids to play 16 games to win a title. Even high college football plays 15. The it's for a kids stuff is hilarious. It's a money grab. And it will result in many 3 win or fewer teams getting in especially in d1..

Making the playoffs is no longer an accomplishment
We now have 10 scrimmages.

God please pray for small school football..............

Marion Local/Coldwater/New Bremen/LCC will win their first two games by 80+ if they wanted. Someone might get killed.

Opening it up will do nothing, but make the strong even stronger and the weak embarrassed a little bit more. Instead of the best teams in small school football getting their players in the first or second round, now they will get them into 3 or even 4 playoff games..
Actually helps the schools in the MAC that finish 3-7 that are clearly better than some 8-2 schools from lesser conferences

Perhaps.
Or maybe it opens the door for better scheduling in the regular season.

How many of those 1-9 and 2-8 teams have kids throw in the towel 2 or 3 games before the season is over because, like many here are saying, it's over and they will get beat anyways.

What does that new scheduling process look like? Most of the state's 1-9 and 2-8 teams know that is what they would be before first game. Their kids are just playing a sport. They're participating and trying to enjoy their high school years. They're not looking to get into the NFL. They're looking to hook up with girls, hang out with guys, fill in the day, play a game and maybe get some applause.

Are you sure you don't have this process confused with the NFL?

Unless the OHSAA is going to expand even further their capabilities, employment, costs and start arranging and mandating scheduling then most teams' entire schedule are restricted by geography. Their schedules haven't changed significantly in decades because they can't. Most of them are run by former physical education teachers, not CEOs and armies of attorney's, MBA's and marketing people.

On the flip side, those calling this a "money grab, plain and simple" need to complete their argument and state what evil genius is getting that money? If the claim is to be made, then those being enriched need be identified. Otherwise it's just generating operating costs approved I presume by membership.

It's still just a club, is that not correct?

Concur. Not many in here admit they played on horrible teams.

I have.
All four years.

Last thing we wanted to do was play another week. Id say by week 7 we were ready to pack it in and the goal was to not get hurt for hoops, or more and more important, baseball.
If I am on a 1-3 win team, a senior, standout in other sports, I would entertain sitting out the playoff game because there is zero upside.
Pretty easy to see why your teams stunk.

3 coaches in 3 seasons did not help including one fired in season, and another who thought it was cool to go from an I, to spread, to wishbone offense in one season to switch things up. No reason why we should not have been a 5-6+ win team if it weren't for the disaster ous coaching carousel the program went through. Solid before, and after that when finally a saviour showed up.