OHSAA approves 16 football playoff teams per region

the MAC is the only league in the state that could pull off a 15/16 seed upset. They are the anomaly.

But like others have said, this is nothing more than a money grab. At least the OHSAA could have been upfront about it and said we need money or we dont make it, so we need to go to 16 teams per region.

and if you happen to be the 10-0 team coach concerned being forced to play a game where your players can only get hurt or hurt someone?

The talent, team and conditioning disparity is too big. I'd say even in most cases. Other than solving the problem of the 10-0 team not making the 8 team field because they couldn't get the schedule that would give them the point3, I don't see the point of a 16 team field. A play-in would resolve that 10-0 team's issue. But ultimately, OHSAA is there to work for the coaches, not the other way round. Isn't that correct? They're the hired team, not the bosses. How could they NOT considered putting final decision into the hands of OHSFCA?

i disagree with that point. TheOHSAA doesn’t work for the coaches. They work for the schools. The board of directors that approved this change are all elected people, by school principles. They all work at schools. So, theoretically, the schools wanted this change, if not necessarily the coaches. And that is the job of the OHSAA, to do what the schools want.

i disagree with that point. TheOHSAA doesn’t work for the coaches. They work for the schools. The board of directors that approved this change are all elected people, by school principles. They all work at schools. So, theoretically, the schools wanted this change, if not necessarily the coaches. And that is the job of the OHSAA, to do what the schools want.
Not even close to how this was addressed or how business is conducted.....

- Bylaws are voted on by the schools.
- General operations.... the schools carry little to no weight in these decisions. (they may bounce an idea off them in the form of a survey, but they have no vote)
- The District Athletic Boards select the individuals from each district that will serve on the board of directors.

That said, guess what?

The schools don't want this either. ;)

Last edited:
Problems I see with this.....
1. Watered down playoff field. Lots of early blowouts.
2. Coaches will now coach more games likely with no compensation.
3. More contact for kids when contact in practice is already restricted.
4. Football is the most restricted sport in the OHSAA
5. Now, to win a state championship a team must play and extra 60% of their regular season against opponents that must qualify for the tourney. Other sports only have to win about 30% of their season.
6. Season starts earlier which means less prep and conditioning to keep kids safe.
7. Only season to be shortened last year to allow OHSAA to still conduct playoffs and make their money (as much as they could)
8. Prestige of being a playoff team is all but gone. This set Ohio apart because Ohio football was the one sport where you had to work your tail off, be well coached, perform at a high level every week just to qualify let alone win.

Will the best team still win...absolutely. But what price do you have to pay? Apparently it’s about a 4 million dollar price tag!!! Adults over kids every time. What a shame.

I don’t love the switch to 16 teams per division, but I love this coach’s outlook:

That is no different than what can be done right now by teams opting out. What this does set up is the very real potential for a seed lower than 16 to get in the tournament because teams above them opted out......

The chances of a 14, 15, 16 seed opting out and letting a 17, 18, 19 seed in are more probable than a 9, 10, 11 seed opting out. (while the opt out must be declared early...... teams pretty much know how they are going to be by then)

Yeah, that's what we want..... :rolleyes:

That is no different than what can be done right now by teams opting out. What this does set up is the very real potential for a seed lower than 16 to get in the tournament because teams above them opted out......

The chances of a 14, 15, 16 seed opting out and letting a 17, 18, 19 seed in are more probable than a 9, 10, 11 seed opting out.

Yeah, that's what we want..... :rolleyes:
I understand what you are saying, but I’m choosing to highlight one coach’s pro-kids and pro-football attitude. He’s taking what many are considering to be lemons and making lemonade. I’d rather see this than the ‘woe is high school football’ attitude that fills this thread thanks to all of the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism.

I understand what you are saying, but I’m choosing to highlight one coach’s pro-kids and pro-football attitude. He’s taking what many are considering to be lemons and making lemonade. I’d rather see this than the ‘woe is high school football’ attitude that fills this thread thanks to all of the Nattering Nabobs of Negativism.
I converse daily with officials, coaches and AD's all around the country..... There's not a week that goes by that someone doesn't ask, "what the heck are you guys doing in Ohio?".....

It's going to get much worse before it gets better.

After seeing that by the OHSFCA I would not be shocked if this is pulled back. 16 is far too much, this isn’t the damn NBA/NHL. Basically devaluing a playoff birth completely at this amount

After seeing that by the OHSFCA I would not be shocked if this is pulled back. 16 is far too much, this isn’t the damn NBA/NHL. Basically devaluing a playoff birth completely at this amount
You're also the guy who told us months ago that a 16 team NLL was a done deal.

So there's that ...

For anyone saying they’re worried about kids getting hurt.... it’s football. Kids can get hurt in practice. If I was a high school player right now I would be thrilled to have 11 games. If you were a 2-8 team week 11 would not be the first time you got blown out that season I’m pretty sure.

also teams can opt out of the playoffs if they want.

This won't be repealed this year because the OHSAA needs the money and they are too proud to admit they were wrong. I understand the desire for one more game to be played and all that stuff, but do you really think any 16 seed is going to be ecstatic to walk into a 1 seed to get whooped as their last game? What a great memory for them. These kids won't view that as an actual playoff game, and while there will be some upsets, the scoring disparity will be on par with what it was this year.

This is setting the stage for another public/private decision when you have teams that win 4 games due to insane schedules, and go on to whoop higher seeds.

Sorry but Yappi posters are being realistic, this is nothing but a money grab and I would ask coach Doenges what about player safety, heck to win a FBS Championship a team plays 2 games. An Ohio H.S. Football team almost plays as many tourney games as a H.S. bball team. I am all for hard hitting football but to play 6 play off games at that age level is ridiculous. Many of these kids play other sports besides football and to play 16 games than turn around and start bball or wrestling IMO is not a good idea.

the key to a higher gate.... a bigger marching band!

I realize this is not part of the playoff discussion, but there is a lot of truth to this. Depending on the program and football tradition, some schools travel very well when it comes to the marching band.

Sorry but Yappi posters are being realistic, this is nothing but a money grab and I would ask coach Doenges what about player safety, heck to win a FBS Championship a team plays 2 games. An Ohio H.S. Football team almost plays as many tourney games as a H.S. bball team. I am all for hard hitting football but to play 6 play off games at that age level is ridiculous. Many of these kids play other sports besides football and to play 16 games than turn around and start bball or wrestling IMO is not a good idea.
So does player safety suddenly come into question after the 15th game? Because I’ve never seen you question ML playing in the title game.

Regardless of whether this is a money grab or not (and I tend to agree that it is), I love Doenges’ reaction. He may not like it, but he’s putting the best face on it for his team. That’s what leaders do.

hey the OHSAA is also kicking around the idea of a fee for every sport. $50-$100. So, The school would pay that fee for every sport and it would then make you eligible for the post season tourney.

Times are tough in the OHSAA.

would love to see an audit of their expenses over the years.

But the fact of the matter is this, attendance for all sporting events is on a huge decline. It will only continue as the public loses interest in sports, especially high school sports. The OHSAA makes the bulk of their $$ on attendance and with people not willing to go to games anymore in the post season... this is what you get, like it or not, they have to stay solvent to exist.

The old saying is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The OHSAA is fixing something that was great the way it was. In all honesty, 8 teams and the Harbin system is one of the best playoff systems in the country.

Will I like seeing my team get in at 7-3 or 6-4 when normally they wouldn't? Sure. Will I enjoy watching them get beat by 4 touchdowns? Not at all. I liked 8. I liked having to earn it.

I blame Joe Biden.

So does player safety suddenly come into question after the 15th game? Because I’ve never seen you question ML playing in the title gam
Really. So than we might as well just let everyone in and play 17 games what is another game or play 12 reg. season games, what's 2 more games ? BTW I do believe 15 games is too many for a H.S. kid, I think they just have stopped at 4 teams per region. But you play the schedule you are handed and if you have to win 16 games to win state so be it. But I still think it is wrong.

LOL.... and people laughed for years and years when I'd say someday everyone would be in.

getting closer ladies.

It's football! It's too hard on the body! You can't let everyone in! Too many games!! Football is DIFFERENT

whatever....

hey the OHSAA is also kicking around the idea of a fee for every sport. $50-$100. So, The school would pay that fee for every sport and it would then make you eligible for the post season tourney.

Times are tough in the OHSAA.

would love to see an audit of their expenses over the years.

But the fact of the matter is this, attendance for all sporting events is on a huge decline. It will only continue as the public loses interest in sports, especially high school sports. The OHSAA makes the bulk of their $$ on attendance and with people not willing to go to games anymore in the post season... this is what you get, like it or not, they have to stay solvent to exist.

they have yearly audits done by a third party all posted to their website.