Top Teams in the State

I have seen Moeller v X and Elder v X face off matches so far this year. I think X has already identified their best lineup and have been going with that since the beginning of the year. Elder and Moeller I think we could see some lineup changes before the year is over with some different kids seeing the court, or players in different positions.

Kastner has been the best player on the court each match so far. Other players that have stood out to me: Schroeder (X Lib), Carmosino (X Setter), Beckelhimer (Moe Setter), Patterson (Moe MH), Reinhold (Moe MH), Maune (Elder OH), Bianco (Elder S/OPP), Meyer (Elder MH)

Walnut vs Elder tonight should be a great match up. Walnuts size will be key. This could be an upset in the making.

Should be fun centerville elite this weekend. If seeded based on this week’s rankings then Bradley/Moeller and Darby/X matches in first round.

moeller/elder on Friday night. Could be replayed Saturday if both win first round.

Tournament is brutal if you have back to back to back 4 or 5 setters.

Should be fun centerville elite this weekend. If seeded based on this week’s rankings then Bradley/Moeller and Darby/X matches in first round.

moeller/elder on Friday night. Could be replayed Saturday if both win first round.

Tournament is brutal if you have back to back to back 4 or 5 setters.
Who are the other teams? X, Moe, Elder, Centerville, Bradley, Darby and ?

Can we all agree Badin boys volleyball social media is just annoying. Screaming and lifting their shirts up after beating Alter (who was then the number 1 team in the state), then posting the video is classless. Embarassment to be beat in 3 against elder the next day.

Badin falls to Carroll in 3. Carroll certainly a strong team but not a team they should be losing to. Seemed like Badin played very bad and Carroll played their best game of the season. Stuff like will continue to happen if Badin plays bad, they have a target on their back and everyone is out to get them.

Walnut vs Elder tonight should be a great match up. Walnuts size will be key. This could be an upset in the making.
Walnut came out ready to play tonight and gave Elder a very good 1st game, leading most of the way. Elder finally settled in and dominated the rest of the way. Lipscomb went down with what appeared to be an ankle injury in the 3rd game, hopefully nothing serious. Walnut has some very good players, just not enough consistency from the entire team.

Can we all agree Badin boys volleyball social media is just annoying. Screaming and lifting their shirts up after beating Alter (who was then the number 1 team in the state), then posting the video is classless. Embarassment to be beat in 3 against elder the next day.

I’m a big advocate for the underdog teams. The ones who actually develop and grow their programs. It is pretty funny how no one even thought about Badin before this season. Don’t like a high school social media account maybe stop reading it or stop following it.

Now when they are having a great start to their season people want to hate on them?! They schedule the toughest schedule they’ve ever played in the 6 years they’ve had a program and yet it’s an “embarrassment” when they lose to teams like Elder and Moeller?! They celebrate their successes and they are “classless” - they’ve never beaten Alter or Fenwick in program history and then had to play Elder in the same week.

Doesn’t sound like an embarrassment, sounds like a growing program to me! People get on here and talk about boys volleyball and how it’s growing - how does it grow when you get on here and post about programs and players??! So when the big D1 schools lose it is “okay” but when the D2 schools lose to the D1 schools it is an “embarrassment”?

They post a little too much for my liking, but when you're a small school like that, especially in D2, you need exposure to make sure the program keeps growing and kids stay interested. When younger kids that might be headed to Badin see that stuff, they're probably thinking they want to be part of that and then hopefully they start playing volleyball at younger ages. Knowing that Badin is in Hamilton, the strong social media presence might even get kids that are heading to Hamilton or Ross (doesn't have a team, but I've been told there's been some interest in the past) into the sport and then you're growing and expanding the sport into more rural areas. That's all probably a stretch, but I only see the exposure and fun-ness as a good thing for the sport as a whole.

Teams like Elder, Moeller and X haven't had to do that because the traditional feeders have always sent in a consistent stream of kids, but I know Elder's numbers are down this year, meaning the feeder numbers are down, so there might be a need to start more outreach and get more involved in a few years to get and keep kids playing at younger ages.

They post a little too much for my liking, but when you're a small school like that, especially in D2, you need exposure to make sure the program keeps growing and kids stay interested. When younger kids that might be headed to Badin see that stuff, they're probably thinking they want to be part of that and then hopefully they start playing volleyball at younger ages. Knowing that Badin is in Hamilton, the strong social media presence might even get kids that are heading to Hamilton or Ross (doesn't have a team, but I've been told there's been some interest in the past) into the sport and then you're growing and expanding the sport into more rural areas. That's all probably a stretch, but I only see the exposure and fun-ness as a good thing for the sport as a whole.

Teams like Elder, Moeller and X haven't had to do that because the traditional feeders have always sent in a consistent stream of kids, but I know Elder's numbers are down this year, meaning the feeder numbers are down, so there might be a need to start more outreach and get more involved in a few years to get and keep kids playing at younger ages.

Totally agree with you on this. Was more referring to the fact that a team needs to act like they've been there before. Just don't think posting a video of the kids screaming and shouting on social media does that. I think that's classless. It's not embarrassing to lose to a top 3 team in the state, just embarrassing when Badin lost in 3 because they are better than that. Maybe should focus more on the game and not social media and posting pointless polls or classless videos of celebration.

Totally agree with you on this. Was more referring to the fact that a team needs to act like they've been there before. Just don't think posting a video of the kids screaming and shouting on social media does that. I think that's classless. It's not embarrassing to lose to a top 3 team in the state, just embarrassing when Badin lost in 3 because they are better than that. Maybe should focus more on the game and not social media and posting pointless polls or classless videos of celebration.
I kinda get where you're coming from, but I'm also in the 'let the kids have fun' camp. They were just yelling in excitement, not saying anything negative against Alter.

These kids and this program haven't been here before and this program has struggled through some BAD teams. Contrary to what's been posted on this board, they had a boys' team prior to 2016. From 2009-2012 I believe they went something like 9-70, took a 3 year hiatus, came back in 2016 and from 2016-present, have gotten better and better, with a 48-51 record if you include their current record. They deserve to celebrate; they beat Fenwick and Alter for the first time in program history (even those forgotten years) in back to back days; for at least D2, this is a special team.

It's not a matter of whom is ranked #1 thru #8 the week prior to Elite. Yes, tourney seeds and matchups are based on that week's State rankings, but I believe invites are determined pre-season when schedule's are set. Sure, 5 teams are established guarantees, but the other 3 invites generally seemed to be from reputation, preseason hype, or a combination of both.

It's not a matter of whom is ranked #1 thru #8 the week prior to Elite. Yes, tourney seeds and matchups are based on that week's State rankings, but I believe invites are determined pre-season when schedule's are set. Sure, 5 teams are established guarantees, but the other 3 invites generally seemed to be from reputation, preseason hype, or a combination of both.
Correct- which is why I asked who the other teams invited were, because I haven't seen it anywhere. Orange takes care of one spot...

1619087708110.jpeg

I'll take:

X over Ignatius in 3
Centerville over Jackson in 4
Elder over Darby in 4
Moeller over Olentangy Orange in 3

X over Centerville in 3
Elder over Moeller in 5

X over Elder in 4

The potential Moeller v Elder rematch in round 2 after they face off tonight is going to take a lot out of the winner. At some point this year either/both of Moeller and Elder will beat X, but I'm not sure how much gas they will have left in the tank by the finals this weekend.

I'll take:

X over Ignatius in 3
Elder over Darby in 4

X over Centerville in 3
Elder over Moeller in 5

X over Elder in 4

The potential Moeller v Elder rematch in round 2 after they face off tonight is going to take a lot out of the winner. At some point this year either/both of Moeller and Elder will beat X, but I'm not sure how much gas they will have left in the tank by the finals this weekend.
I'd agree with this result. Think Elder takes Darby in 3, though. They seem down and Elder seems to be getting things clicking right now a bit better, but we'll see what happens tonight vs. Moe. If Elder and Moe go to 5, I see X over either one in 3. No disrespect to the teams, but X has a cakewalk for their portion of the bracket and should be ready to go for anybody in the finals.

Great match at Moeller High School tonight! Moeller jumps out to a quick lead and takes game one 25-21. Elder then takes a back and forth game 2 26-24. The last 2 games go to Elder and the match. These 2 teams were evenly matched and could have went either way. Looks like it could be round 2 on Saturday.

I'll take:

X over Ignatius in 3
Elder over Darby in 4

X over Centerville in 3
Elder over Moeller in 5

X over Elder in 4

Moellering over Orange in 5 not 3

Great volleyball at Centerville today! Olentangy and Moeller were throwing haymakers in the 1st round, probably the best volleyball I saw all day. Moeller escaped in 5 and didn't look the same against Elder, losing in 3. The same can be said for Elder, looking a little gassed in the final against St. X in 3. Congrats to X on the championship!