2021 Cleveland Browns Thread

Joseph and Sendejo were AWFUL. That was apparent to the naked eye to anyone that watched the team. Here's something from ESPN's Jake Trotter that show us just how bad they were and gives us some hope for the future-

Browns safeties allowed 12 passing TDs last year when they were the nearest defender in coverage, most in the NFL. John Johnson's 61 targets as the nearest defender in coverage was 3rd-most this season among safeties. And he allowed only 1 TD.

Joseph and Sendejo were AWFUL. That was apparent to the naked eye to anyone that watched the team. Here's something from ESPN's Jake Trotter that show us just how bad they were and gives us some hope for the future-

Browns safeties allowed 12 passing TDs last year when they were the nearest defender in coverage, most in the NFL. John Johnson's 61 targets as the nearest defender in coverage was 3rd-most this season among safeties. And he allowed only 1 TD.

Sendejo was never supposed to start, he was supposed to be a mentor to a certain young Safety and the 7th DB on the field. The biggest killer LY for the Browns was the injury to Grant Delpit, dude was viewed as a 1st round talent at a key position. Now he is basically a rookie learning to be a NFL player and the thing about achilles is once they are shot they can go again at anytime. Beefing up safety was a must this off season.

Sendejo was never supposed to start, he was supposed to be a mentor to a certain young Safety and the 7th DB on the field. The biggest killer LY for the Browns was the injury to Grant Delpit, dude was viewed as a 1st round talent at a key position. Now he is basically a rookie learning to be a NFL player and the thing about achilles is once they are shot they can go again at anytime. Beefing up safety was a must this off season.

I thin Sendejo would have been great in that role, as a mentor, occasional part-timer and special teams guy. It didn't seem like he was ever short on effort, just didn't have the physical skills.

Browns still trying to get Clowney. He’s not the Clowney of the hype. He never has been, but he can be a very useful player on the d-line this season. I would not go multi-year or break the bank for him, though.

Last edited:
He may be worth it if you get him on club friendly deal, also as mentioned earlier don't be surprised if he comes off the field on passing downs. Kind of think then that they grab a WR or CB in the 1st then.

I'd be okay with a one year $7M deal. I think you may actually see him more in run situations given that he's a better run defender than pass rusher, with McKinley coming in for passing situations. If he's healthy, I could also see him inside in passing situations with McKinley on the perimeter. If he's coming he'd better get over his disdain for training camp.

I agree with all the "1-year deal for Clowney" comments. He needs to prove he is worth a commitment. Hopefully if we get him a guy like Jarvis can help fix his attitude about camp and hard work. Every time I need motivation, I go back and re-watch Jarvis' rant in the WR room a few years back. Classic lead-by-example guy.

Having said that, it is worth something just to be able to say "Clowney is a Brownie" on social media. So fingers crossed we get him.

I agree with all the "1-year deal for Clowney" comments. He needs to prove he is worth a commitment. Hopefully if we get him a guy like Jarvis can help fix his attitude about camp and hard work. Every time I need motivation, I go back and re-watch Jarvis' rant in the WR room a few years back. Classic lead-by-example guy.

Having said that, it is worth something just to be able to say "Clowney is a Brownie" on social media. So fingers crossed we get him.
Be lucky to get eight games out of him,maybe.

great pickup........ so where do we now look in the draft.... LB?

My gut says only if someone they love slides. I think they go middle rounds again for LB and use the pick for a CB.

Isn't it nice not to have a huge weakness they're forced to address early?

Never say never but if they are staying with the analytics route they probably go best CB or WR available. They really want a bigger CB to play opposite Ward that can match up with a taller WRs and do a better job supporting the run. I've read a couple of columns that indicate if Bateman falls he is the pick but I don't see that happening.

Never say never but if they are staying with the analytics route they probably go best CB or WR available. They really want a bigger CB to play opposite Ward that can match up with a taller WRs and do a better job supporting the run. I've read a couple of columns that indicate if Bateman falls he is the pick but I don't see that happening.
Don't be shocked if they go D Line with their first round pick.

They will lose Clowney next year, and maybe a couple others.

im praying they do go LB. Preferably Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah out of Notre Dame, he would be a great hybrid linebacker. I doubt he will be on the board at 26. and if he isn't i'm guessing they go corner like Caleb Farley(VT) or Asante Samuel Jr.(FSU)

I like Bateman a lot, but if they go receiver first round I would be very upset. Way bigger problems than WR

i really like Bateman.....

if the kid from Bama is there, they have to consider him

He is the only one worth a 1st round grade and it is not a position of value, plenty of situational guys can be had in the middle rounds.

It seems like all the teams are getting on some sort of analytics value chart as the positions that are being cited with expected big runs in the 1st round this year are OT, CB, and WR in that order. Heck Jackson Carmen, who looked very average this year, could sneak into the 1st round. WR is a little trickier as the NCAA game has changed and there seems to be great WRs available in every draft and next year's class looks just as strong.

Jevon Holland is a CB that might be available for the Browns. Rock solid grade and is more of a slot CB/3rd safety type player; took last year off so you don't know how ready he will be to chip in 2021. Also keep an eye on Aaron Robinson from UCF, 'Bama transfer that had a great Senior Bowl against top level WRs.

I like Bateman a lot, but if they go receiver first round I would be very upset. Way bigger problems than WR

OBJ and Landry will be eating up over $30 million in cap space in 2022, one and there is a chance both will probably not be on the roster at that price so you need club friendly contract talent to replace them. Don't forget Mayfield, Ward, & Chubb all are due for huge bumps that year too. It's probably not going to happen but if a guy with a solid grade is sitting there you have to take him.

Note this quote from Berry: "The draft is more about maximizing the amount of talent and the long-term talent on your team as opposed to filling needs. Very few rookies come in and hit the ground running and play at a Pro Bowl-caliber level in their first year. I think that is the wrong focus.”

OBJ and Landry will be eating up over $30 million in cap space in 2022, one and there is a chance both will probably not be on the roster at that price so you need club friendly contract talent to replace them. Don't forget Mayfield, Ward, & Chubb all are due for huge bumps that year too. It's probably not going to happen but if a guy with a solid grade is sitting there you have to take him.

Note this quote from Berry: "The draft is more about maximizing the amount of talent and the long-term talent on your team as opposed to filling needs. Very few rookies come in and hit the ground running and play at a Pro Bowl-caliber level in their first year. I think that is the wrong focus.”
i think only one will be back after this year.... and probably being Jarvis........

I agree with that, but I don't think a first round receiver THIS YEAR is as beneficial as a DB or LB.

I watched several talk shows on ESPN yesterday afternoon and all the panelists agreed that Clowney was a good get for the Browns.

$12 Million for a DT wasn't happening. Don't be surprised if Clowney lines up in the middle during passing downs as he has had his best success pass rushing from inside.
I loved lining up Myles inside with Ogunjobi on the end a couple years back

Wish we could keep Sheldon Richardson, but I get that $12M is too much. He played well last year, would love to have him at 6 or $7M. But that barely covers his grocery bill. At this point I'm gonna trust Berry and team - he has earned it.