2021 Steubenville Big Red

Win Total?

• Total voters
Prior to 1972, when the playoffs started, polls determined the state champions. That was the system at the time. They should all count.
Has Massillon won any AP titles in the Playoff era and if so are they counted because this could determine if everyone is arguing the same point. If Massillon doesn’t count playoff era AP titles their pre-playoff ones have to the same worth as on-field titles

Has Massillon won any AP titles in the Playoff era and if so are they counted because this could determine if everyone is arguing the same point. If Massillon doesn’t count playoff era AP titles their pre-playoff ones have to the same worth as on-field titles

The Tigers won the AP Poll in 1972 and 2019. We don’t count them as part of the 24 titles.

All championships should count. I was at Harding Stadium in 1962 when 8-0 Toledo Central came to play 8-0 Big Red. I believe they were ranked #1 and #2 at the time with Big Red being #1. Everyone in that stadium thought this was a championship game. TC won the game and the state title. The AP poll was the system at the time and our best barometer of the state teams.

But additionally can you guys please win one for the paper tigers moniker to go away? How do u guys look coming back

? As you know, the Tigers have played in 3 consecutive playoff state title games. We are getting closer. The Tigers should contend again in 2021.

Anyone familar with the "poll era" KNOWS that those titles reflected on the field performance. Any contenders to the title scheduled each other the following season,validating those titles.

The "haters" would have you believe that "Massillon only" played in a bubble, of a weak conference and scheduled no independent contenders (their schedules, in fact illustrates the opposite).

This was the case where college poll champions upgraded their independent schedule to meet all contenders, to their poll titles.

Like I posted before, check (massillontigers.com) and post the teams Massillon ducked, that were legitmate challengers to their poll titles.

Just as equally uninformed, in an attempt to smear Massillon's tradition, if WHEN they do win a playoff title, it will not answer the haters trolling if it isn't in D1. That ALSO has been proven inaccurate as the top 5 teams in DII have proven in games against the top teams in D1. Many years the top team in DII is "THE BEST TEAM REGARLESS OF DIVISION", in the state!

If you don't try to invalidate Massillon tradition, NO team has even an outside chance of equaling it, THAT is the real reason "SOME" posters live to troll. (Hate not legitimate, fact based arguments)!

True Massillon fans aren't as they are characterized by the trolls on this board. We accept and understand the truth abour our program be it good or bad. Titles of either era have challenges to their legitimacy. Massillon always played the best and that resulted in an unequalled tradition.

That includes decisions that enable the program to compete for a state title on an equal playing field, illustrated by their current performance.

Last edited:
Agree, i have no dog in the fight.

A great read is Tim Raab's Book Powerhouse's Of Ohio High School Football The 50's and 60's He did thorough Fact and Background checks in every aspect of his book. Digging through as many Newspapers and School archives as possible. Conducted countless interviews with AD'S and Coaches, Newspaper Reporters and Librarians to get as much information about Years, Seasons, Roster's , and Schedules , Results.

One thing you will find is even with no internet or cable TV HS Coaches were very aware of what the other Power houses across the State were doing every Weekend. They would with out a doubt play as many OOC Power Houses as their league schedules would allow. Based on current history and recent season results. Heck with One School Towns almost every area of Ohio had several Teams that were more than worthy opponents with out going out of your area. But you will see by many of the Schools Schedules there wasn't a lot of ducking of anyone going on.

Urge any HS Football Fan to pick up a copy. The Names of the Coaches and Players alone are a Who's Who of Ohio HS Football Legends.

Inky Jones athleticism stands out and had a very good basketball season and is excelling this spring in track. Long, quick and agile, he could very well be a matchup problem for defenses @ WR if QB can get the ball in his hands to make plays. Rodney James could also have a monster year @ TB if he stays healthy,

Although lopsided will Big Red and Catholic Central ever re- new football series? Especially if Big Red continues enrollment decline.

Although lopsided will Big Red and Catholic Central ever re- new football series? Especially if Big Red continues enrollment decline.
I think it’ll be up to Central. They’re enrollment seems to be declining faster than Big Red so idk how many more years they will be able to be open. They’re saving grace is them being bought by Franciscan University. Also Big Red moved up from D4 to D3 in 2018 idk if that’s from CB#s or just bigger classes from the middle school.

Another thing for Big Red is just the OV in general doesn’t want to schedule Big Red except for a few schools (Wheeling Park, Linsly, and Martins Ferry ‘22/23)

Isaac Hill will be this year’s breakout player! 6’3 195 sophomore. He will be used as a Kyle Pitts type player playing te and wr

Yes, there is much to like about this kid's potential; however, Big Red Freshman coaches used him more as a one-on-one jump ball receiver type with his size advantage as he was a matchup nightmare for other small freshman DB's. Big Red has to develop or improve his route running, pass catching & blocking capabilities to make comparisons to Kyle Pitts type use. I still like Inky better @ wideout for breakout year given his varsity experience, 6'3" frame and athleticism is off the charts. Ivan Buggs @ 6"2" is also someone to keep a close eye on.

Yes, there is much to like about this kid's potential; however, Big Red Freshman coaches used him more as a one-on-one jump ball receiver type with his size advantage as he was a matchup nightmare for other small freshman DB's. Big Red has to develop or improve his route running, pass catching & blocking capabilities to make comparisons to Kyle Pitts type use. I still like Inky better @ wideout for breakout year given his varsity experience, 6'3" frame and athleticism is off the charts. Ivan Buggs @ 6"2" is also someone to keep a close eye on.
They have 4 guys that are returning that carried the ball last year as well, tylik sims could be a wild card in the backfield after getting some playing time on both sides of the ball when Rodney James was injured

Isaac Hill will be this year’s breakout player! 6’3 195 sophomore. He will be used as a Kyle Pitts type player playing te and wr

In order for these receivers to break out, they’re going to need to throw the ball more than 8 times a game. Albeit 5 of those are off of play action and designed to go to the tight end and another 2 are quick hit screens. Now I get it, over the past 3 years they haven’t had the talent in the passing game that they’ve had in years past. But in order for them to compete they’re going to need to open up the offense. I guess you could say be more 2015 than 2019

In order for these receivers to break out, they’re going to need to throw the ball more than 8 times a game. Albeit 5 of those are off of play action and designed to go to the tight end and another 2 are quick hit screens. Now I get it, over the past 3 years they haven’t had the talent in the passing game that they’ve had in years past. But in order for them to compete they’re going to need to open up the offense. I guess you could say be more 2015 than 2019
I think talent on the outside/QB consistency was a big reason for lack of a passing game the past 2 years

Inky does have the intangibles to be a great player but he has to catch the ball. He dropped a ton of passes last year. I watched the freshman kid go up against our starting corners and safety’s in practice and he put on a show. His lack of development in route running with the freshman coaches is probably due to the fact they had no QB.
If bugs, hikam, inky, and hill can reach the potential we all think they are capable of then this offense will be deadly

Inky does have the intangibles to be a great player but he has to catch the ball. He dropped a ton of passes last year. I watched the freshman kid go up against our starting corners and safety’s in practice and he put on a show. His lack of development in route running with the freshman coaches is probably due to the fact they had no QB.
If bugs, hikam, inky, and hill can reach the potential we all think they are capable of then this offense will be deadly
The good thing about this team is they only lost maybe 5 skill players from last season