Best HC job in Ohio

There are a LOT of factors that go into what makes a football HC job the best, in my opinion. I had my own sentiments, but decided to do some research of my own for a day or two and here’s what I came up with.

• Support from the administration/leadership- in some schools, as someone mentioned, the principal, superintendent, AD, and others are not always on the same page.

• Quality/Benefits of Facilities- the quality and benefits derived from facilities are certainly a selling point when a coach is looking for a new job.

• Small School vs. Big School- this is quite subjective. One might view a school at a MAC school just as appealing as a public school in Columbus with solid recent success (I think of Geron Stokes moving to Coffman as an example). Now that’s not to say I think Coffman is more attractive than Minster or visa versa, it all depends on who you ask.

• Single vs. Multi-Community Schools- I like how my school (Kirtland) pulls from one community/area, but I don’t necessarily mind those that pull from a couple of communities. There are advantages to both.

• Reputation/Tradition- Winning isn’t the only thing, but it is certainly valuable in determining the quality of a certain job. Some schools have won a lot of titles in the short-term whereas others have made the playoffs 25-35+ times over the years. It depends on how you view tradition.

• Quality of Coaches/Assistants- some coaches try to limit the amount of turnover in a program, others bring on their own staff. If a school has a solid system, it usually means they have high-quality assistants.

• Fan Base Loyalty- Obviously when you’re winning, it’s easy to have a loyal fan base. It’s those fan bases who are able to trust the process and ride the potential bumps in the early going that an incoming coach might look for.

• Feeder Systems- For some schools, this is viewed as advantageous. Other schools, they are successful without feeder systems. Again, this depends on who you’re talking to...

• One School District vs. Many- In larger cities, it’s more difficult to find cities with only ONE school district. When you have one school district, you know what kids you’re getting to play for you. When you’re competing with other school districts, it’s interesting to see who chooses to go where.

• Kids- Simply put, do the kids have the desire to buy into something greater than themselves? Of course, some kids have better genes than others, but the size of the fight in the dog sometimes matters more than the size of the dog in the fight.

I have a few more things, but I figure I have typed enough. If you made it to the end, great. If not, that’s alright. I figured I’d give my two cents on what myself and some others view as valuable to a high school football HC job.

I can’t say what specific school or schools I find to be the best, but there are a handful that excel at a lot of the things I mentioned.
Impossible. I was told Massillon Washington was the best. Have I been bamboozled? (Amazing breakdown by the way. Agree 100%).

I think Pickerington Central is a really good coaching job. The coach typically has very good numbers with plenty of athletes and interior linemen. Expectations are always high but people don’t lose their minds when we lose a game. You won’t see parents screaming at the coaches from the stands. The parents typically allow the coaches to do their job without much interference. (I think Reynoldsburg is probably the worst I have seen at every level when it comes to the parent/coach dynamic) PC doesn’t have boosters in the traditional sense. The coaches don’t need to answer to anyone other than the AD. The AD has the coaching staff’s back as does the rest of the administration. Some argue that the football program has too much support (I disagree). The schools are all pretty good. The youth program has been pretty good for a long time and I think a transition is about to take place over the next couple of years. The facilities are not very good but I think that will be addressed at some point soon. There is going to be a drop off in talent once the 2023 class is done. They will still be one of the top teams in Central Ohio but just not as many D1 level players. Coach Sharrett has a process which is supported from the top down. The next coach would be best served to not deviate from that process too much.

This isn’t to say the MAC is superior to any coaching job, but if you can prove to be successful in the conference it usually leads to bigger job opportunities. Ex. Geron Stokes, Nate Moore, etc. I’m sure there are many others who have had job offers and turned them away for their personal reasons cough, cough, (Tim Goodwin and Chip Otten) cough, whether that be the staff they’ve built around them, support from community, whatever it maybe they all have their reasons for staying and going.

This isn’t to say the MAC is superior to any coaching job, but if you can prove to be successful in the conference it usually leads to bigger job opportunities. Ex. Geron Stokes, Nate Moore, etc. I’m sure there are many others who have had job offers and turned them away for their personal reasons cough, cough, (Tim Goodwin and Chip Otten) cough, whether that be the staff they’ve built around them, support from community, whatever it maybe they all have their reasons for staying and going.
I’m fairly certain that a couple of schools in Northeast Ohio have reached out to Tiger LaVerde one way or another. Of course, it should be said that Kirtland doesn’t have the benefit of being in an ultra competitive conference like the MAC. I view that conference as the holy grail of small school football. Anyone successful there for at least a couple of years can coach anywhere in my opinion.

I’m fairly certain that a couple of schools in Northeast Ohio have reached out to Tiger LaVerde one way or another. Of course, it should be said that Kirtland doesn’t have the benefit of being in an ultra competitive conference like the MAC. I view that conference as the holy grail of small school football. Anyone successful there for at least a couple of years can coach anywhere in my opinion.
It was the main reason for Coach Stokes to come to minster was the competition level in the MAC. Not that the MAC is the greatest thing on earth, but I’d argue one of the better small school conferences across the country. I just don’t think you’ll find anything like it

I think Pickerington Central is a really good coaching job. The coach typically has very good numbers with plenty of athletes and interior linemen. Expectations are always high but people don’t lose their minds when we lose a game. You won’t see parents screaming at the coaches from the stands. The parents typically allow the coaches to do their job without much interference. (I think Reynoldsburg is probably the worst I have seen at every level when it comes to the parent/coach dynamic) PC doesn’t have boosters in the traditional sense. The coaches don’t need to answer to anyone other than the AD. The AD has the coaching staff’s back as does the rest of the administration. Some argue that the football program has too much support (I disagree). The schools are all pretty good. The youth program has been pretty good for a long time and I think a transition is about to take place over the next couple of years. The facilities are not very good but I think that will be addressed at some point soon. There is going to be a drop off in talent once the 2023 class is done. They will still be one of the top teams in Central Ohio but just not as many D1 level players. Coach Sharrett has a process which is supported from the top down. The next coach would be best served to not deviate from that process too much.
I like 95% of what you said. The last sentence is what would scare me if I was a coach interviewing for this position. An outside coach couldn't bring his own philosophy and coaching style?

It’s always going to come down the coach and what they are looking for. Some coach will value coaching the WBL to be the best job, while some will think that coaching in the GCL is the best job. It’s all subjective.

Has that community had the same coach for the last 50 years ?
Those Communities tend to keep coaches. 50 years is unheard of anymore. Not talking about any in particular but for an example

Todd Schulte- 1999 he took over DSJ

Tim Goodwin- 1999 he took over Marion Local

Chip Otten took over in 2010

Outside the MAC, how long has Ed Domsitz been at Alter?
Doesn't the MAC have 30 something state football championships...if I'm right, or close, pretty impressive
37!

I like 95% of what you said. The last sentence is what would scare me if I was a coach interviewing for this position. An outside coach couldn't bring his own philosophy and coaching style?
Yes, I get what you are saying. By sticking with the process, I am referring to how the program runs with discipline and consistency, very little hype. Such as not allowing over zealous parents run the team, players not yelling at coaches, etc... He also keeps his assistant coaches as some have been there with him for 20 years. Coach Sharrett runs a tight ship.

Reno has been at Steubenville since ‘83 nobody will probably want that job after him everyone will want it after the guy that replaced him because of the expectation and tradition that is expected.

I'm not a Massillon fan or a hater. I grew up in the Cleveland area and knew about Massillon football at an early age. My father and uncles always talked about it. The history, without a doubt, is there and I do think it's still a coveted job. Is it THE job? When I posed this question, I was wondering if a HC position came open, what school would get the most top notch candidates applying. I'm aware there are a ton of great programs (and been made aware of others), but I think Massillon has to be one of the top jobs still. The program is solid and always relevant...just my opinion...ready for the lambasting! LOL

Sometimes a job is what you make of it. Mike Elder came to Avon at a time when the football program was just a solid local small school program in a growing community, but he saw it had the potential to be much better...as he mentions at about the 2:35 mark of the video. He turned it into a great job for himself and his staff.

Sometimes a job is what you make of it. Mike Elder came to Avon at a time when the football program was just a solid local small school program in a growing community, but he saw it had the potential to be much better...as he mentions at about the 2:35 mark of the video. He turned it into a great job for himself and his staff.
Elder is a hell of a coach ! Mount Union grad.

I was friends with the Malone family in Hamilton. Their father was Terry Malone, coach of Hamilton Badin. Coached for 35 years I believe. Had 1 state championship., 3 final appearances and 360 career wins. Also had a chance to be on Jerry Fausts staff when he went to Notre Dame. Rather he stayed at Badin as a teacher and coach My point being, as many have said, alot of coaches believe they are in the best job. He could of been the mayor of Hamilton if he ran.

Those Communities tend to keep coaches. 50 years is unheard of anymore. Not talking about any in particular but for an example

Todd Schulte- 1999 he took over DSJ

Tim Goodwin- 1999 he took over Marion Local

Chip Otten took over in 2010

Outside the MAC, how long has Ed Domsitz been at Alter?

37!

Several posters have already touched on the advantages of supportive school administrations, parents, communities and so forth.

I also think a large part of the satisfaction of the best coaching positons would be testing yourself against top shelf competition. Which may be where a MAC job excels.

In the past 10 seasons the MAC has advanced 25 teams to the state championship game, winning 18 titles. This represents not just a few power house dynasties, but 7 of the 10 football playing MAC schools. In fact. within the last 16 years, 9 out of the 10 members have won a state football title.

If that kind of week in, and week out competition doesn't whet a coaches appetite, he may be in the wrong occupation.

Last edited:
Several posters have already touched on the advantages of supportive school administrations, parents, communities and so forth.

I also think a large part of the satisfaction of the best coaching positons would be testing yourself against top shelf competition. Which may be where a MAC job might excel.

In the past 10 seasons the MAC has advanced 25 teams to the state championship game, winning 18 titles. This represents not just a few power house dynasties, but 7 of the 10 football playing MAC schools. In fact. within the last 16 years, 9 out of the 10 members have won a state football title.

If that kind of week in, and week out, type of competition doesn't whet a coaches appetite, he may be in the wrong place.
Wow...that is a crazy stat...9-10 won state championships in a 16 yr span...thats unheard of...depth

I was friends with the Malone family in Hamilton. Their father was Terry Malone, coach of Hamilton Badin. Coached for 35 years I believe. Had 1 state championship., 3 final appearances and 360 career wins. Also had a chance to be on Jerry Fausts staff when he went to Notre Dame. Rather he stayed at Badin as a teacher and coach My point being, as many have said, alot of coaches believe they are in the best job. He could of been the mayor of Hamilton if he ran.
Any relation to the Terry Malone still coaching at BGSU? Been coaching college and professional ball since the 80's with a heck of a resume

Any relation to the Terry Malone still coaching at BGSU? Been coaching college and professional ball since the 80's with a heck of a resume
No relation. He has one son that has followed his foot steps into coaching and he is at Badin.

Reno has been at Steubenville since ‘83 nobody will probably want that job after him everyone will want it after the guy that replaced him because of the expectation and tradition that is expected.

competitive people being what they are, there will be people that want that challenge. At least the coaching and game playing side of it. Replacing someone that has 30 years experience with community and school Admins... that's a headache they might think twice about.

Some are and some arent. Most are. Out of the 8 or so guys on our coaching staff, only 2 aren't Coldwater grads:

Keenan Leichty- Versailles
Randy Wright - Huron

Chip Otten is a Coldwater alum.

Tim Goodwin is an Allen East alum

Brad Luthman (St Henry HC) is a Versailles alum

Brent Niekamp (Ft Recovery HC) is a Ft Recovery alum.

Chris Schmidt (New Bremen HC) is a Bellefontaine alum.

Nick Marino (Anna HC) is an Urbana? Alum.

Joel Henkle (Parkway HC) is a Parkway alum.

Ryan Jones (Versailles HC) I have no clue

Todd Schulte (DSJ HC) I think is a DSJ alum.
Ryan Jones is a Wapakoneta grad.

No it isn’t but it is the best HC job in the state with the most pay and best facilities. In any job if you want to find another job wouldn’t the overwhelming #1 reason be pay ?
I guess the better question would be if it’s such a headache who was the last Massillon HC that left to find something better ?
I’ll wait for your answer....

Lee Owens left for Akron...
Jack Rose left For Glenoak...
Rick Shepas left for Waynesburg...
Where's Nate Mooore gonna end up?

I'll wait for your answer...

Not a fan of some of these Massillon haters right now. Everyone knows Massillon is the best place to coach. Once you've made it here, you've made it to the end of the road. Next step is to turn on to FBS Power 5 Avenue.