Best HC job in Ohio

Depends on how one quantifies best job.

Big school the best jobs IMO are in the growing Columbus suburbs. Increasing student population, money in the community, and in some cases you're getting to build from scratch while having big potential. Dublin Jerome and Olentangy Berlin stand out to me in that regard.

There certainly isn’t a “desire” issue when the job is available.

Of course not, there are more than enough coaches that want the challenge. It's still a high profile position. I'm not hear to bash Massillon, I actually respect what they do, but I'd be willing to bet most coaches with normal size egos, would not be interested...

Wow, that's a tough one. Certainly, Massillon has outstanding facilities, a nice talent pool and dedicated boosters but on the downside has huge pressures and expectations. I don't think Moore would trade the job for any other in the state but it certainly is not an easy pressure free job.

I think the best jobs become the best jobs over time due to the successes of the program and coach. Steubenville is a good example. Reno is essentially the Mayor of Steubenville and do whatever the hell he wants without repercussions.

I'd think the best jobs would be in larger districts with athletes in the halls but with no history of success in football. Something you could build without the pressure of expectations.

This is the debate I always have with fellow coaches. Would you rather build? or take over an already successful program?

So what make a job desirable?
1. community and administrative support with realistic expectations (I'm not afraid of expectations, just don't go overboard)
2. kids and parents who are willing to work for success.
3. a schedule of teams that are both not too much better or too much worse than you. You have to be allowed to win when you're good, but lose when you aren't. (The MAC excels at this.)

those would be my 3. There are others that I think are icing on the cake (pay), and some that would detract (being in a district that gets it's best players recruited away would suck), but those 3 would be my dream job.

I'm guessing there are a few jobs in Ohio that would meet my criteria. How do yours differ?

So what make a job desirable?
1. community and administrative support with realistic expectations (I'm not afraid of expectations, just don't go overboard)
2. kids and parents who are willing to work for success.
3. a schedule of teams that are both not too much better or too much worse than you. You have to be allowed to win when you're good, but lose when you aren't. (The MAC excels at this.)

those would be my 3. There are others that I think are icing on the cake (pay), and some that would detract (being in a district that gets it's best players recruited away would suck), but those 3 would be my dream job.

I'm guessing there are a few jobs in Ohio that would meet my criteria. How do yours differ?
I like them all...I would also add a good you program.

wyoming. good kids. winning tradition. supportive community, school board, and fan base. and resources.

wyoming. good kids. winning tradition. supportive community, school board, and fan base. and resources.
Very respected program. Three straight Regional Championships in a tough region and have only lost to the state champions the last two years.

Canton McKinley. A huge school district that is bigger than the others in their league, a storied history known even outside of Ohio, plays in the state's (and maybe the country's) most impressive high school stadium, outstanding fan support, always tons of talent within the district and will attract transfers because who wouldn't want to play their high school games in an NFL stadium for a legendary program like McKinley's?

If a coach can't win there, they probably can't win anywhere.

Can you really call it an NFL stadium if:
1) the only NFL game played is the NFL HOF Game (a pre-season game)?
2) it is roughly 1/3 the size of the smallest actual NFL stadium, Soldier Field?

Just seems like a weird embellishment to call it an NFL stadium.

Can you really call it an NFL stadium if:
1) the only NFL game played is the NFL HOF Game (a pre-season game)?
2) it is roughly 1/3 the size of the smallest actual NFL stadium, Soldier Field?

Just seems like a weird embellishment to call it an NFL stadium.
The stadium hosts an NFL game every year, has the NFL Hall of Fame Logo at the 50 yard line, is named after an NFL owner, was largely financed by the NFL and is owned by the Hall of Fame Village, not the Canton school district. The district rents the stadium from the Hall of Fame Village corporation.

What would you call it?

Of course not, there are more than enough coaches that want the challenge. It's still a high profile position. I'm not hear to bash Massillon, I actually respect what they do, but I'd be willing to bet most coaches with normal size egos, would not be interested...
Out of the last 10 Massillon coaches, who didn’t have a normal size ego before they were hired ?

Is there an orphanage that has a team? That would easily be the best job.

A fantastic book. Coach turned an orphanage team into a national powerhouse-

51+qv8QMKWL.jpg

Canton McKinley. A huge school district that is bigger than the others in their league, a storied history known even outside of Ohio, plays in the state's (and maybe the country's) most impressive high school stadium, outstanding fan support, always tons of talent within the district and will attract transfers because who wouldn't want to play their high school games in an NFL stadium for a legendary program like McKinley's?

If a coach can't win there, they probably can't win anywhere.

Guys like Filtz, McDaniel and Reardon were all very highly regarded coming into McKinley but none of them held on for long so I'm not sure it's seen as the prime job it once was. Still a good program and one of great tradition. We can debate all day why they haven't been the power in the last decade that they have been in the past, but I think a little of the shine has come off of the program making it a little less appealing than it once may have been.

The stadium hosts an NFL game every year, has the NFL Hall of Fame Logo at the 50 yard line, is named after an NFL owner, was largely financed by the NFL and is owned by the Hall of Fame Village, not the Canton school district. The district rents the stadium from the Hall of Fame Village corporation.

What would you call it?
The NFL contributed zero money for the stadium or anything else in Canton.

MAC country has some of the best communities you can imagine. you don’t hear much drama from that area for a reason. there is an expectation but the attitude is also “we will support you, win or lose” (as long as you’re developing our boys into men). not a lot of MAC fans trashing coaches after each loss. each team has up periods and down periods. it’s all cyclical. 9/10 MAC schools have opportunities to be competitive year in year out because the communities understand it takes time to build a program to the standard they want

One rarely sees or hears of any ill regarding a HFC at any of the MAC schools. Then again I'm not privy to the VM or email inbox of a MAC coach on a Monday in the fall.

FWIW I've always viewed Coldwater as a place any coach regardless of sport would want to be. Community seems very stable.

One rarely sees or hears of any ill regarding a HFC at any of the MAC schools. Then again I'm not privy to the VM or email inbox of a MAC coach on a Monday in the fall.

FWIW I've always viewed Coldwater as a place any coach regardless of sport would want to be. Community seems very stable.
almost every MAC community is. Coldwater is a great place. you don’t hear much drama from any MAC schools.

are the MAC coaches primarily homegrown or from other places?
Some are and some arent. Most are. Out of the 8 or so guys on our coaching staff, only 2 aren't Coldwater grads:

Keenan Leichty- Versailles
Randy Wright - Huron

Chip Otten is a Coldwater alum.

Tim Goodwin is an Allen East alum

Brad Luthman (St Henry HC) is a Versailles alum

Brent Niekamp (Ft Recovery HC) is a Ft Recovery alum.

Chris Schmidt (New Bremen HC) is a Bellefontaine alum.

Nick Marino (Anna HC) is an Urbana? Alum.

Joel Henkle (Parkway HC) is a Parkway alum.

Ryan Jones (Versailles HC) is a Wapakoneta grad.

Todd Schulte (DSJ HC) I think is a DSJ alum.

Last edited:

What would you call it?

A high school stadium that hosts 1 NFL preseason game a year. How many other NFL stadiums seat less than 60k, let alone 23k? How many other NFL stadiums only host 1 NFL game, and a pre-season 1 at that? And as pointed out, was not largely financed by the NFL - it was largely financed by the Johnson Controls naming rights deal and developer equity. Tom Benson and his foundation - not the NFL - contributed about 9% of the cost.

I don't understand why you keep making up these weird embellishments.

Last edited:
Some are and some arent. Most are. Out of the 8 or so guys on our coaching staff, only 2 aren't Coldwater grads:

Keenan Leichty- Versailles
Randy Wright - Huron

Chip Otten is a Coldwater alum.

Tim Goodwin is an Allen East alum

Brad Luthman (St Henry HC) is a Versailles alum

Brent Niekamp (Ft Recovery HC) is a Ft Recovery alum.

Chris Schmidt (New Bremen HC) is a Bellefontaine alum.

Nick Marino (Anna HC) is an Urbana? Alum.

Joel Henkle (Parkway HC) is a Parkway alum.

Ryan Jones (Versailles HC) I have no clue

Todd Schulte (DSJ HC) I think is a DSJ alum.
My best guess is Jones is a wapak alum believe dad was a long time assistant to coach Frye but not positive on that

Guys like Filtz, McDaniel and Reardon were all very highly regarded coming into McKinley but none of them held on for long so I'm not sure it's seen as the prime job it once was. Still a good program and one of great tradition. We can debate all day why they haven't been the power in the last decade that they have been in the past, but I think a little of the shine has come off of the program making it a little less appealing than it once may have been.
McKinley definitely isn't as dominant right now as they were in the past, but I think they can get back to that level. They have gone through a lot of coaches though. They need to find someone who is a good fit for the job and stick with him.