The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Well, I gave the answer last year, and repeatedly this spring. Senzel has been an excellent infielder his whole life until he got to the Reds. That is how you get all 4 in the lineup. Too late now, because another spring training has come and gone.

If you agree the goal of a platoon is to improve matchups, how can you say a platoon with 2 lefties makes any sense at all. Your "not going to sit him" comment is not logical, it is like a kid saying "just because". 2 lefties in a platoon does not make sense in old school baseball, nor does it make sense in the new analytics world, unless one of the lefty hitters can mash lefty pitching better than righty pitching.
I agree the "platoon" philosophy is out the window because both are lefties. All I'm saying is you're not sitting Shogo because he's paid too much. Now if Shogo comes out on fire, you could sit Winker, but my guess is the manager will go with the old line that there is plenty of at bats to spread around over 162 games. Judging Senzel, Winker and even Shogos injury history, the likely hood that all three stay healthy all season is not good. Let's just hope two aren't hurt at the same time. Which leads me to my nest thing, Mark Peyton and Aristedes Aquino are likely the backup outfielders on this team. How do you get them any PT??

I agree the "platoon" philosophy is out the window because both are lefties. All I'm saying is you're not sitting Shogo because he's paid too much. Now if Shogo comes out on fire, you could sit Winker, but my guess is the manager will go with the old line that there is plenty of at bats to spread around over 162 games. Judging Senzel, Winker and even Shogos injury history, the likely hood that all three stay healthy all season is not good. Let's just hope two aren't hurt at the same time. Which leads me to my nest thing, Mark Peyton and Aristedes Aquino are likely the backup outfielders on this team. How do you get them any PT??
This isn't jr high ball. Who cares if your back ups get playing time? I'd rather they never start a game. It means your best players are playing every day.

The Reds aren't playing Shogo just because he is being paid more than Winker. They need to pay the best players regardless of contracts. More or less playing time does not change the teams payroll expenses. Winning does change a teams income though which in turns makes meeting payroll easier.

The Reds aren't playing Shogo just because he is being paid more than Winker. They need to pay the best players regardless of contracts. More or less playing time does not change the teams payroll expenses. Winning does change a teams income though which in turns makes meeting payroll easier.
They aren't? Ok, let me say it another way then. Winker has not provided enough evidence he's the hands down everyday left fielder over Shogo. That's why they went and got him.

So let me ask you another question, salaries completely out of the question, is Joey Votto the best first baseman the Reds can put on the field, or is he at first base because we still owe him alot of money?

So let me ask you another question, salaries completely out of the question, is Joey Votto the best first baseman the Reds can put on the field, or is he at first base because we still owe him alot of money?
Wow! Love to hear your lineup minus Votto that you think is an improvement. The goal should be to put your best 7 players on the infield/outfield most every day, and Votto is in the Reds top 7 for sure. last summer was a bit of a struggle, but still near the top of the team with .354 OBP and 11 HRs in 54 games (which is 33 HR in a full season).

Of course he needs to play almost every game. It has nothing to do with his salary. You may have topped yourself for silliness with that comment.

Wow! Love to hear your lineup minus Votto that you think is an improvement. The goal should be to put your best 7 players on the infield/outfield most every day, and Votto is in the Reds top 7 for sure. last summer was a bit of a struggle, but still near the top of the team with .354 OBP and 11 HRs in 54 games (which is 33 HR in a full season).

Of course he needs to play almost every game. It has nothing to do with his salary. You may have topped yourself for silliness with that comment.
I didn't say it was an improvement, I just said that he's going to be in the lineup, just as he's been over the last decade because of his contract. In pro sports, especially smaller market teams, they guys that get paid the most....play. The Reds went and signed Shogo, he's going to play. There is very few situations over the 30 major league teams that the BEST 7 players in the infield/ outfield play every day.

Joey Votto is one of my favorite Reds of all time. He's our best option at first base, as the team is constructed today.

I have no idea where you are going with this line of thinking. This is professional baseball, not high school or college.

I didn't say it was an improvement, I just said that he's going to be in the lineup, just as he's been over the last decade because of his contract. In pro sports, especially smaller market teams, they guys that get paid the most....play. The Reds went and signed Shogo, he's going to play. There is very few situations over the 30 major league teams that the BEST 7 players in the infield/ outfield play every day.

Joey Votto is one of my favorite Reds of all time. He's our best option at first base, as the team is constructed today.

I have no idea where you are going with this line of thinking. This is professional baseball, not high school or college.
Joey Votto is still the best option at 1B.
At the time of the Shogo signing Winker was not ready for everyday action. He showed last season he is. Shogo was also signed because he could play CF, a position the Senzel had yet to demonstrate his ability to play. Clearly of the 4 outfielders Shogo should be 3 or 4 with Senzel.

As for infield, this team has no 1B other than Votto.

Teams generally pay the best players the most money. They also play the best players.

Sometimes the best paid player isn't the best player anymore and he gets relegated to a bench role ie Albert Pujols.

I'd be interested to see which team isn't playing their best 7 everyday. Care to share?

I thought after 2019 that Aquino or Winker might move to 1B to challenge Votto for PT. Either one could get a few more AB if they had learned the position a bit in the offseason.

I'd be interested to see which team isn't playing their best 7 everyday. Care to share?
Joey Votto is still the best option at 1B.
At the time of the Shogo signing Winker was not ready for everyday action. He showed last season he is. Shogo was also signed because he could play CF, a position the Senzel had yet to demonstrate his ability to play. Clearly of the 4 outfielders Shogo should be 3 or 4 with Senzel.

As for infield, this team has no 1B other than Votto.

Teams generally pay the best players the most money. They also play the best players.

Sometimes the best paid player isn't the best player anymore and he gets relegated to a bench role ie Albert Pujols.
Pujoles was the regular 1B for the Angels far before he was relegated to the bench. Ryan Howard, former Phillie great, really struggled his last years and was eventually benched.

As far as our outfield, Castellenos is playing everyday, hands down. I'd say Senzel, unless hurt, is going to be in the lineup almost daily, so that puts Winker and Shogo as your left field guys. If one really takes the job, then so be it. Shogo is at $7 mill this season, Winker at $3.5 and he's arb eligible next year. Really a big year for both guys.

WTH are you talking about? read the posts again. I AM THE ONE WHO SAID "play your best guys". You are the nimrod who suggested that the Reds only play Shogo because of his big contract. You are the nimrod who suggested that Votto is not the best option at 1B.

Seriously, did you hit your head?

WTH are you talking about? read the posts again. I AM THE ONE WHO SAID "play your best guys". You are the nimrod who suggested that the Reds only play Shogo because of his big contract. You are the nimrod who suggested that Votto is not the best option at 1B.

Seriously, did you hit your head?
Yes, you're the one that says play your best guys everyday, and all I said was that's not true. It's never true in pro sports. Do you think coming into camp this year all 8 positional positions were "up for grabs" to whomever plays the best in spring training?? Of course not. Most teams have many positions already locked up due to the contracts they have players signed at. Did you hit your head?

Due to the Reds contractual obligations to Votto, they've not tried to mold another first baseman into that position. Yes, Joey's is and has been, for the most part the best option for the Reds, but what competition has he had? Seriously?

Pujoles was the regular 1B for the Angels far before he was relegated to the bench. Ryan Howard, former Phillie great, really struggled his last years and was eventually benched.

As far as our outfield, Castellenos is playing everyday, hands down. I'd say Senzel, unless hurt, is going to be in the lineup almost daily, so that puts Winker and Shogo as your left field guys. If one really takes the job, then so be it. Shogo is at $7 mill this season, Winker at $3.5 and he's arb eligible next year. Really a big year for both guys.
So you admit there are highly paid players past their prime riding the pine watching cheaper, better players play?

Why are you arguing otherwise?

So you admit there are highly paid players past their prime riding the pine watching cheaper, better players play?

Why are you arguing otherwise?
It is impossible to have a logical debate with him. He only half-reads your posts, then assumes some things, misunderstands some others, and argues in circles while contradicting himself while ignoring statistics.

Every spring/summer I do this until I reach a point where I realize that it is hopeless and wasted time, and mostly ignore his nonsense. I got there early this year.

less than a week from REDS BASEBALL!!! Let's hear it!!!!

⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾⚾

Prediction on win total for 2021 season????

If he’s available and sucks, it isn’t the best ability.
Agreed. Miley's career numbers say that his most import ability is his UNavailability. But I'll hope for a miracle and an ERA around 4.00 for Miley. He did have 4 good innings against the Dbacks starters yesterday.

As for season predictions, so much depends on Sonny's back. With him and Castillo, the rotation is respectable, with two very good pitchers at the top. Without him, it looks pretty weak.

The 7-17 spring record is not inspiring either. I know the offense will be better than 2020, but it needs to be a lot better. I smell 81-81, or thereabouts. :(

The 3 (or 4) young guys need to be as advertised and worthy of their draft positions for this team to make a playoff push. If Winker, Senzel, Stephenson and India play like studs it will be a fun season. If they are duds the Reds will be drafting in the top 5 next June.

The 3 (or 4) young guys need to be as advertised and worthy of their draft positions for this team to make a playoff push. If Winker, Senzel, Stephenson and India play like studs it will be a fun season. If they are duds the Reds will be drafting in the top 5 next June.
?

It’s just funny that anyone is still into the Reds. Their a list place team and will be for years, it’s like thinking the Bengals will win with Burrow
For someone who isn't into the Reds you sure do spend a lot of time in this thread.

LOL. Zeeyore just "drove by" twice yesterday and once today already. Pretty sad existence to spend so much time on something you claim to not care about.

I think this is pretty accurate, the offense will need to carry the Reds. If 3 of the 4 studs (Suarez, Moose, Castellanos, Votto) have strong years, and 3 of the 4 young guys you mention have strong years, then this could be a top 5 offense in the NL, and the Reds could contend for the playoffs.

I also acknowledge that is a lot of "IFs"... Thus, my 81-81 prediction.

Yes, you're the one that says play your best guys everyday, and all I said was that's not true. It's never true in pro sports. Do you think coming into camp this year all 8 positional positions were "up for grabs" to whomever plays the best in spring training?? Of course not. Most teams have many positions already locked up due to the contracts they have players signed at. Did you hit your head?

Due to the Reds contractual obligations to Votto, they've not tried to mold another first baseman into that position. Yes, Joey's is and has been, for the most part the best option for the Reds, but what competition has he had? Seriously?
Your best players aren’t the ones with the best spring training statistics. Lol.

It’s just funny that anyone is still into the Reds. Their a list place team and will be for years, it’s like thinking the Bengals will win with Burrow

The Reds aren’t the joke of an organization that the Bengals are. It might take 30 yrs, but I’ll bet $ on them winning a WS before the Bengals win a SB.