Global Warming

Meanwhile within the last two weeks...

I have to say that I give more credibility to Princeton Physics Professor Emeritus Happer's take on CO2 "saturation" then this article. Yea I know it sounds like I'm appealing to authority with my throwing out the professors credentials but the mans expertise is on the physics/chemistry of optically polarized atoms. Which is what we're talking about here.

Meanwhile within the last two weeks...

Not one of these articles is scientific. They're a combination of hypothesized economic impacts, social science and science opinion pieces.

The climate is naturally warming as the Earth continues to come out of an Ice Age. The rise in temperature is accompanied by an enormous variability that sees occasional dips back into mini-ice ages. But the trajectory is up. That's what the data shows. The rest is conjecture based on human release of CO2 into the atmosphere.

But articles like these use the simple fact that the world is warming as the foundation for constructing story's about human impact and possible apocalyptic climate outcomes. But the truth remains that the two have not been scientifically connected yet. It's an unproven theory that exploits the natural warming that the earth experiences after the end of EVERY Ice Age.

Last edited:
Geologists estimate that the accumulation of ice in the current cycle ended
aproximatle 18K years ago and more moderate temperatures resulting in the
great melting happened 11K+ years ago. Geological evidence suggests that the
Earth has been completely void of ice sheets several times in the past. What they
don't know is how warm it got in the past.

We aren't completely out of currant Quaternary glaciation period yet.

:>---

SALT

We are not saturated but I guess we can look forward to our planet becoming Venus.

Back to mythbusters. Doh!
You just proved you know zero about what is going on by mentioning Venus and runaway greenhouse effect.

But continue calling people stupid and such while attacking sources with no real information to back up any of your claims.

I guess that makes you feel better.

Only thing worse than actual stupid people are people who don't really know what is going on yet act like douchebags telling everyone else they are so stupid for not believing X while giving no real evidence/logic for X.

Congratulations on being in that category.

The time scale evaluated here for CO2 level & temperature - 1880 to 2019 - is to short to draw any useful conclusions from.

And this statement from the linked article also represents a timescale to short to draw any useful conclusions from:

Now at 414 ppm, atmospheric CO2 concentrations are higher than at any time in the past 800,000 years,

800,000 thousand years may sound like a long time but from a geological perspective it's like trying to draw several years of economic conclusions from one day of the stock market performance.

Another limitation of this research is that they are forced to use surrogate measures to estimate CO2 levels and temperatures for anything more then 200 years old. In contrast, over the last century they've been able to employ direct measurements of CO2 level and temperature.

While they will argue that their historical climate reconstructions are accurate there is no way they can match the accuracy and precision of the instrument readings. So we have a situation where direct assessments are being compared to indirect assessments. This can result in very misleading outcomes.

From 10 years ago. This is a denier ploy. Keep bringing back old nonsense.

This is a fine example of what I would call science history. And like all history the author will use the information and facts that support their thesis. And to be clear there's nothing wrong with that and in a discussion like Global Warming these types of articles serve a useful purpose.

However, this is not science and doesn't represent a scientific rebuttal to the claims that beyond a certain level increasing CO2 concentrations does not result in substantial new warming.

One thing this article does call out is the dependence of Climate Science on modeling. IMO this is a fundamental weakness of this field of science. In complex natural systems modeling has not proven to be very good. Modelings track record for climate prediction is poor. Their reliance on modeling is problematic.

This is a fine example of what I would call science history. And like all history the author will use the information and facts that support their thesis. And to be clear there's nothing wrong with that and in a discussion like Global Warming these types of articles serve a useful purpose.

However, this is not science and doesn't represent a scientific rebuttal to the claims that beyond a certain level increasing CO2 concentrations does not result in substantial new warming.

One thing this article does call out is the dependence of Climate Science on modeling. IMO this is a fundamental weakness of this field of science. In complex natural systems modeling has not proven to be very good. Modelings track record for climate prediction is poor. Their reliance on modeling is problematic.
100% fact.

The thing about science and the scientific method is that it is amazing in explaining the world around us as it is right now.

Science and especially prediction models, are good at determining what is going on right now but slowly get worse and worse in accuracy the further you go in the future or in the past.

Any model specifically on non-linear dynamics, bifurcating systems, chaos mathematics is ok at modeling the "right now" but quickly gets "terrible" as soon as you go more than a year or so in the future or in the past then it is literally guess work.

I am not saying modeling is wrong to use and/or we should avoid models completely. I mean I use models all the time to model industrial combustion emissions (CO2, NOx, CO, SOx, etc) in large industrial furnaces to figure out how to reduce the various emissions. I will say that the models I use, which are VASTLY more simple (the combustion of natural gas is about a 100ish step reaction once you include all the partial chemical steps that form the bad emissions, not a simple 1 step equation they teach in chemistry). Those 100ish step reaction modeling with fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics, etc of the system is vastly more simple than a non-linear bifurcation chaos system that climate is.

My models are way easier and they STILL are inaccurate to what really happens in a furnace. I use them mainly to determine possible trends as I change things in a burner design to eliminate some "bad" ideas before I test things in a lab.

Science in general is bad at predicting the past and the future because it is designed to describe the world as it is right now. Scientific models are even worse at going back and forward in time.

The easiest way on a simple example I have explained this to people is the projectile motion of a baseball being thrown or hit by a bat. Physics and calculus can give us equations based on the balls instantaneous velocity (with angle) height from the ground, spin rate, and current wind velocity/direction and predict where the ball was probably hit/thrown from and where it will finally land.

However, the probability of the prediction based on the equations being right goes down as you move away from the balls current location either backwards or forwards in time. The main reason is you don't know even simple things that will/can change the trajectory like change in wind speed, change in air density (pressure/temperature in a given area), wind direction, etc.

Take a ball flying through the air as something vastly simple mathematically compared to bifurcating non-linear dynamics/chaos mathematics. Again, the further in the future or past you try to model a system the worse the model is at predicting anything.

We have seen this over and over again over the last 50 years of climate modeling. The further out they make "dire" predictions and they are ALWAYS wrong.

A summary of Happer's latest research was released by the CO2 Coalition, the group he founded and on whose board he now serves, which claims that the world needs more carbon dioxide emissions to thrive. Happer's latest research claims that "much of the concern over climate change and greenhouse gases comes from misunderstanding basic physics." The paper lays out a case as to why methane emissions are not worrisome, and says proposals to regulate emissions therefore are not justified.

"Given the huge benefits of more CO2 to agriculture, to forestry, and to primary photosynthetic productivity in general, more CO2 is almost certainly benefitting the world," the authors wrote. "And radiative effects of CH4 [methane] and N2O [nitrous oxide], another greenhouse gas produced by human activities, are so small that they are irrelevant to climate."

Happer's research was submitted to EPA by the Texas Public Policy Foundation, which has received funding from the oil and gas industry and the Koch network. In its EPA comments, the foundation argued that methane does not contribute to air pollution that harms public health

Happer gets PAID to come up with his BS.

100% fact.

The thing about science and the scientific method is that it is amazing in explaining the world around us as it is right now.

Science and especially prediction models, are good at determining what is going on right now but slowly get worse and worse in accuracy the further you go in the future or in the past.

Any model specifically on non-linear dynamics, bifurcating systems, chaos mathematics is ok at modeling the "right now" but quickly gets "terrible" as soon as you go more than a year or so in the future or in the past then it is literally guess work.

I am not saying modeling is wrong to use and/or we should avoid models completely. I mean I use models all the time to model industrial combustion emissions (CO2, NOx, CO, SOx, etc) in large industrial furnaces to figure out how to reduce the various emissions. I will say that the models I use, which are VASTLY more simple (the combustion of natural gas is about a 100ish step reaction once you include all the partial chemical steps that form the bad emissions, not a simple 1 step equation they teach in chemistry). Those 100ish step reaction modeling with fluid dynamics, thermal dynamics, etc of the system is vastly more simple than a non-linear bifurcation chaos system that climate is.

My models are way easier and they STILL are inaccurate to what really happens in a furnace. I use them mainly to determine possible trends as I change things in a burner design to eliminate some "bad" ideas before I test things in a lab.

Science in general is bad at predicting the past and the future because it is designed to describe the world as it is right now. Scientific models are even worse at going back and forward in time.

The easiest way on a simple example I have explained this to people is the projectile motion of a baseball being thrown or hit by a bat. Physics and calculus can give us equations based on the balls instantaneous velocity (with angle) height from the ground, spin rate, and current wind velocity/direction and predict where the ball was probably hit/thrown from and where it will finally land.

However, the probability of the prediction based on the equations being right goes down as you move away from the balls current location either backwards or forwards in time. The main reason is you don't know even simple things that will/can change the trajectory like change in wind speed, change in air density (pressure/temperature in a given area), wind direction, etc.

Take a ball flying through the air as something vastly simple mathematically compared to bifurcating non-linear dynamics/chaos mathematics. Again, the further in the future or past you try to model a system the worse the model is at predicting anything.

We have seen this over and over again over the last 50 years of climate modeling. The further out they make "dire" predictions and they are ALWAYS wrong.
We know the things you claim we do not. You are a walking contradiction who tries his hardest to pass himself off as "smart." Try using "bifurcating" a couple more times.

Adding more CO2 and Methane is not better for anyone.

Celebrity lifestyle increases global warming: New study flight-shames Bill Gates and Paris Hilton

Bill Gates and Paris Hilton rack up the worst CO2-emissions with their frequent flying.

André Schürrle (athlete)
Felix von der Laden (influencer)
Jennifer Lopez (singer and actress)
Karl Lagerfeld (designer)
Mark Zuckerberg (business leader)
Meg Whitman (business leader)
Oprah Winfrey (TV-host, business leader)

They’re super rich and they don’t really care
The idea isn’t new. In various media stories celebrities have been exposed for claiming to save the world in one initiative, and then on the other hand harming the environment with their lifestyle.

We know the things you claim we do not. You are a walking contradiction who tries his hardest to pass himself off as "smart." Try using "bifurcating" a couple more times.

Adding more CO2 and Methane is not better for anyone.
So where exactly have I contradicted myself? I have never claimed to be “smart” you are the one who has repeatedly on this thread called people stupid or treated them as such for not believing your opinion on the matter.

I don’t believe I have called anyone or treated anyone in such a way yet. I have presented information you are welcome to dispute if you can.

“We know the things you claim we do not.” You are going to have to translate this gobbledygook for me.

If you don’t believe what I have said, specifically about my background or what scientific or mathematical ideas I have stated, feel free to point out exactly where you believe I am lying or “wrong” and I will supply supporting information.

I will wait.

Happer gets PAID to come up with his BS.

I guess the ease with which you're able to obtain what can at best be charitably described as hack hit pieces, indicates how effective Happer is in his skepticism. Scientists like this must scare the crap out of the Global Warming alarmists.

I get you guys don't want to challenge the man on the science, emeritus physics professors from Princeton tend to intimidate folks, but come on IB these continued attempts at character assassination only demonstrate how weak the Global Warming argument actually is.

And a lot of very smart people in the scientific community don't think it's a problem at all.
It is overwhelmingly held that global warming is greatly effected by carbon emissions. You know that. There’s very few idiots left in the scientific community like Trump’s last COVID expert.

Last edited:
What in my posts suggest I have not taken, and aced, a non-linear dynamics/chaos theory class?

I mean it’s not like chaos theory mathematics is a common topic here on yappi where you cold assess my general knowledge on the topic.
The fact that you say so. Especially after reading all the bull hit you normally post.

The fact that you say so. Especially after reading all the bull hit you normally post.
What exactly do you question and what “bull shiit” have I specifically posted?

I am fully willing to back up anything I have said with evidence/proof just call out what you are saying is not true.

Or just keep being vague and ignoring the question.

It is overwhelmingly held that global warming is greatly effected by carbon emissions. You know that. There’s very few idiots left in the scientific community like Trump’s last COVID expert.

Let me fix this for you: Global warming MAY be effected by human release of CO2 though the magnitude of any increase in temperature is NOT KNOWN.

And don't tell me what I know and don't know. At least I'm honest enough to admit what I don't know unlike the majority of climate scientists.

Let me fix this for you: Global warming MAY be effected by human release of CO2 though the magnitude of any increase in temperature is NOT KNOWN.

And don't tell me what I know and don't know. At least I'm honest enough to admit what I don't know unlike the majority of climate scientists.
They are scientists, and you are some who spends his day playing on Yappi.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are scientists, and you are some who spends his day playing on Yappi.

You really shouldn't be treating science like a religion. You know where the high priests (eg scientists) are infallible. It just doesn't work that way.

And FYI not all scientists are created equal and not all scientific disciplines are equally rigorous.