Mid-State League 2020-2021

Not going to lie -- I'm embarrassed to have forgotten about freakin' Layne Sarver and his friends on Tri-Village. TV even beat Harvest Prep in the state finals that one year, too! Damn!

I find it impossible to forget about them as I still can't believe that their coach (who's conveniently the school superintendent) is back and getting a second chance to run the show after the shenanigans there a few years ago, which is a completely different topic of discussion. As for the team they have, this year it's all sophomores and juniors. I think they are probably legitimately a top-5 team in D4. They are going to be unbelievably good next year, and barring somebody else returning virtually everyone, I think next year is very likely another state championship season for them.

I'm chomping at the bit for that possible Tri-Village/Cedarville game. I think that Cedarville's best game is good enough to beat just about anyone in D4. If not for Tri-Village, I'd feel pretty good about their chances to win the SW regional.

I find it impossible to forget about them as I still can't believe that their coach (who's conveniently the school superintendent) is back and getting a second chance to run the show after the shenanigans there a few years ago, which is a completely different topic of discussion. As for the team they have, this year it's all sophomores and juniors. I think they are probably legitimately a top-5 team in D4. They are going to be unbelievably good next year, and barring somebody else returning virtually everyone, I think next year is very likely another state championship season for them.
It would be the opinion of some that the Sweet 16 for Division 4 should be all Northwest and Southwest District winners play the field of Central, East, Northeast and Southeast District winners. Better way to make a state champion? Perhaps!

Imagine Ottoville versus Glenwood; Columbus Grove or P-G (I always get these two mixed up, damn!) vs Grandview, etc.

It would be the opinion of some that the Sweet 16 for Division 4 should be all Northwest and Southwest District winners play the field of Central, East, Northeast and Southeast District winners. Better way to make a state champion? Perhaps!

Imagine Ottoville versus Glenwood; Columbus Grove or P-G (I always get these two mixed up, damn!) vs Grandview, etc.

There are a lot of small towns in-between Dayton and Toledo, that how to put it politically correctly, have a rather excellent combination of genetics, socioeconomics and culture that is highly conducive to having 7-8 kids almost every year that can play very high level D4 basketball.

I'm more of a Dayton area person, and I think it's criminal that they still have our D4 tournament as two separate draws at sites (Troy and Piqua) that are separated by 10 miles as opposed to being an "open" draw like D1, D2 (in the last few years) and D3 are in our area. The Troy site was very strong at the top this year between Tri-Village, Cedarville and Springfield Catholic Central, but Piqua is usually jacked with 4-5 good teams that should be district finals caliber or better to fill two of the six southwest district finals spots. Incredibly, most years the Elida district in the northwest region probably makes the Piqua sectionals look like a girl scout convention. It's unbelievable that Columbus Grove, Ottoville, Pandora-Gilboa, Crestview, Lincolnview, Leipsic, and Kalida are all jammed into the same self-contained 12-13 team district every year.

Do you think you'd want to see the Ohio do this format again next year, after the COVID-saga? Or would you want the full 6 home / 6 away league game slate?

That idea intrigued me. Then I thought "well that sort of sucks there is no return trip to the other gym." But then I realized "LOL, stupid me, the gyms are like 1/8th full anyways."
Pretty sure the Ohio Division will go back to 6 home and 6 away in the 21-22 year. As stated the tourney did fit the bill for what was needed this year but going back to home and home is best for the division. The 21-22 Ohio Division looks to be really really strong. Worthington Christian will have Mr Moore back and should be very good, Buckeye Valley will lose a few year but have a nice mix coming back, Whitehall will reload, Grandview Hts sophomores will be juniors and will be the dark horse of the Division IMO. Wellington School, Bexely and Columbus Academy will be competitive but not super sure of what they have coming back.

OHSBCA honors for District 11 (Delaware, Fairfield, Knox, Licking, Marion and Morrow Counties) — I took out the KMAC honorees... will note CotY, PotY and 2-first team selections were from Cardington & a first team from E. Knox.

First Team
Nathan Stewart, senior, Delaware Christian; Mason Purvis, senior, Millersport; Brock Unger, senior, Berne Union; Alex Bronder, senior, Fisher Catholic; Cole Canter, junior, Newark Catholic; Joe Benvie, junior, Granville Christian.

Second Team

Carter Purvis, senior, Millersport; Adam Beard, senior, James Vasek, senior, Delaware Christian; Nate Still, senior, Fairfield Christian; Josh Burke, senior, Fisher Catholic;

Honorable Mention
Brea Friesner, junior, Berne Union; Nate Hickman, junior, Conner Beck, junior, Delaware Christian; Benjamin Hopple, sophomore, Fairfield Christian; Nick Krooner, senior, Fisher Catholic; Brendan Austin, junior, Granville Christian; Ethan Severance, senior, Millersport; Matt Gialdini, senior, Newark Catholic;

These fine athletes are the MSL honorees for a job well done? Is this list that represents all the MSL teams, including Cardinal division?
Pervis is well deserving of all the props he gets.

By for now!

These fine athletes are the MSL honorees for a job well done? Is this list that represents all the MSL teams, including Cardinal division?
Pervis is well deserving of all the props he gets.

By for now!
It’s the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Association list. There’s 16 “districts” statewide, and they honor across each division per district.

Grove City Christian, Harvest Prep and the other Franklin County schools are in District 10 — so they don’t appear on the list I posted. They have their own recognition. Unfortunately, I can’t find the District 10 list.

Pretty sure the Ohio Division will go back to 6 home and 6 away in the 21-22 year. As stated the tourney did fit the bill for what was needed this year but going back to home and home is best for the division. The 21-22 Ohio Division looks to be really really strong. Worthington Christian will have Mr Moore back and should be very good, Buckeye Valley will lose a few year but have a nice mix coming back, Whitehall will reload, Grandview Hts sophomores will be juniors and will be the dark horse of the Division IMO. Wellington School, Bexely and Columbus Academy will be competitive but not super sure of what they have coming back.
In addition to our VERY strong sophmore class, we’ll have our leading scorer - a junior cg who had started for two years already - back as well as some promising freshman guards. I think we’ll be a surprise for alot of teams and have a good chance to finish top 3 in the league. Our senior class will be solid next year with some good role players and i’m expecting Leslie to play at the next level, I think we have a shot at league and the state tourney next year.

It’s the Ohio High School Basketball Coaches Association list. There’s 16 “districts” statewide, and they honor across each division per district.

Grove City Christian, Harvest Prep and the other Franklin County schools are in District 10 — so they don’t appear on the list I posted. They have their own recognition. Unfortunately, I can’t find the District 10 list.

District 10 is a little different in how they do teams, or at least they used to be. They had a website a few years back but I think it's off now. The last I saw, there was a POY and COY for each division, then a D1 Super Team, then a D2-D4 Super Team. So unless someone from GCC won POY or is one of the 12 best players in Franklin/Madison Counties in D2-D4, it's unlikely there would be any honors. Weird how different districts do things differently. Although I guess if there's only 6 or 7 D4 teams in District 10 and only 3 teams finished over .500, it's not like there's a big pool to take from.

...and down goes #1 seed Cardington

#7 Berne Union @ #3 Newark Catholic for the Central 2

I just hope both teams have some fun (please win, NC... although I’d truly be glad seeing either team hoist the District Championship.)

Last edited:
District 10 is a little different in how they do teams, or at least they used to be. They had a website a few years back but I think it's off now. The last I saw, there was a POY and COY for each division, then a D1 Super Team, then a D2-D4 Super Team. So unless someone from GCC won POY or is one of the 12 best players in Franklin/Madison Counties in D2-D4, it's unlikely there would be any honors. Weird how different districts do things differently. Although I guess if there's only 6 or 7 D4 teams in District 10 and only 3 teams finished over .500, it's not like there's a big pool to take from.
I guess Tree’s coach is District 10 Coach of the Year?

I smell the green envy lingering in the air!!

Rockets beat Cardington, AGAIN. No way they were best team in the CD. Poor sports as well!!

I would think Patriot Prep’s coach has it locked down. Especially after tonight if they haven’t already decided it.
Tree's Twitter account said their coach won it. So... IDK? LOL.
Curt Caffey at Patriot Prep, who used to be a longtime assistant at Harvest Prep, I would assume is in the coaches' association and thus would/should have gotten it? No disrespect, TOL...

I smell the green envy lingering in the air!!

Rockets beat Cardington, AGAIN. No way they were best team in the CD. Poor sports as well!!
No envy here, brother-man. Congrats to Coach McKnight and the Rockets. Especially happy to see Brock Unger's high school career have at least one more game left in it, too.

Won't lie -- I am pleasantly surprised that all of us on this thread were apparently right on thinking Cardington was not going to win the Central 2.

Tree's Twitter account said their coach won it. So... IDK? LOL.
Curt Caffey at Patriot Prep, who used to be a longtime assistant at Harvest Prep, I would assume is in the coaches' association and thus would/should have gotten it? No disrespect, TOL...

lol who knows? Maybe he didn’t pay his dues and that’s why he didn’t get it. I have a hard time believing Caffey wouldn’t have been the top choice.

I checked Tree’s Twitter page as well. They listed their players for the All-Conference teams but no mention of their coaches. That would be odd if they won District 10 COY but not even their own conference. Just odd all the way around.

As for the games, the good Berne showed up! Should be a great final. And Grandview Heights likely winning a district with their record just shows how brutal the Ohio is. Maybe Corbett should have gotten COY.

lol who knows? Maybe he didn’t pay his dues and that’s why he didn’t get it. I have a hard time believing Caffey wouldn’t have been the top choice.

I checked Tree’s Twitter page as well. They listed their players for the All-Conference teams but no mention of their coaches. That would be odd if they won District 10 COY but not even their own conference. Just odd all the way around.

As for the games, the good Berne showed up! Should be a great final. And Grandview Heights likely winning a district with their record just shows how brutal the Ohio is. Maybe Corbett should have gotten COY.
Corbett's a legend, man! 500-win club. Him, Weakley from WC, and Dennis from HP are 3/4 of the Mt. Rushmore of MSL coaches.

Yeah -- the good Berne indeed showed up. I really hate having to pick against NC in this situation, but man gimme Berne by 8 in the "Home of Champions." *

* -
I may, or may not, have an outstanding $15 parking ticket from the Sugar Grove Mayor's Court that I hope will get "forgotten about" by the ecstasy of Berne winning a District Title in both boys and girls hoops.

I know they’ve had a rough couple years, so here is a perspective-shaping article with an FCA basketball connection.

Folks who have been to an FCA home basketball game would recognize Steve. He’s their longtime PA announcer. Quite possibly one of the kindest and inspirational individuals in the community. Also does an awesome job on the radio and his behind-the-scenes work toward getting Fairfield County games on the radio — on the previous WFCO 90.9 and its successor internet stream fairfieldcountysportsnetwork.com

Grandview Hts 57-40 over Patriot Prep Academy. Patriot led 25-24 at half. The Bobcats outscored Patriot 15-5 in the 3rd quarter to take a 39-30 lead and wins by the 57-40 final. Great accomplished by the Bobcats losing 7 seniors last year and able to rebound and win their 3rd District Championship in a row.

Unfortunately, this week’s tournament results for boys and girls leads me to believe that the Cardinal just isn’t a league that can prepare you for tournament runs.

Unfortunately, this week’s tournament results for boys and girls leads me to believe that the Cardinal just isn’t a league that can prepare you for tournament runs.

Maybe. But Berne was inconsistent all year and it looks like the bad BU showed up. FC and BU have made nice runs the past few years. As long as there’s no completely dominant force like Grandview or Wellington last year, Cardinal teams have a shot.

Maybe. But Berne was inconsistent all year and it looks like the bad BU showed up. FC and BU have made nice runs the past few years. As long as there’s no completely dominant force like Grandview or Wellington last year, Cardinal teams have a shot.
I was thinking more along the lines of HP basketball and various Cardinal schools in other sports, District Finals and beyond.

With D4 boys, e.g. not HP, the Cardinal does better than the KMAC for sure.

Last edited:
...and that’s how playing in the Cardinal hurts you, HP.
Newark Catholic's league and non league schedule has prepared them for this run. When you play a non league games with Cardington and Upper Arlington and league games with Johnstown and Heath (twice) cross overs with Licking Heights, Granville, Watkins Memorial, and Zanesville (they were blown out in most of them plus 8 of the 12 losses came to these teams) this prepared them for anything that they will face in the tourney. It gave them confidence that they can compete with anybody in D-IV.

Last edited: