Curt Schilling requests removal from writers' ballot

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Interestingly, some didn't make it because they played in the steroid era others didn't make it because they were voted on during the cancel culture era...

Curt Schilling:
I want to share with everyone the letter I wrote to the folks at the Hall of Fame yesterday. They’ve been otherworldly kind and gracious in every way possible and I’ll be forever grateful to them and for that.

This was written privately and for their eyes only but I have always been fine with anyone knowing how I feel and what I think.

“Hey guys. Couple things. First off I am not sure I can express my level of gratitude and sincere appreciation at the graciousness, kindness and desire on all your parts to help me navigate this process. I can say at this point I am mentally done. I know math and I know trends and I know I will not attain the 75% threshold for induction.

As I’ve stated often over the past years to those I’ve spoken with in my heart I am at peace. Nothing, zero, none of the claims being made by any of the writers hold merit. In my 22 years playing professional baseball in the most culturally diverse locker rooms in sports I’ve never said or acted in any capacity other than being a good teammate.

I’ve certainly been exposed to racism and sexism and homophobia as it’s part of who human beings are. I’ve played with and talked with gay teammates. I’ve played with wife beaters, adulterers, assaulted, drug addicts and alcoholics. I’ve never hit a woman, driven drunk, done drugs, PEDs or otherwise, assaulted anyone or committed any sort of crime.

But I’m now somehow in a conversation with two men who cheated, and instead of being accountable they chose to destroy others lives to protect their lie.
I will always have one thing they will forever chase. A legacy. Whatever mine is as a player it will be the truth, and one I earned for better or worse.

Having said all that the media has created a Curt Schilling that does not and has never existed. It’s one of the things that has allowed me to sleep at night. Not an ounce of that is to absolve myself of sin, Lord knows I’ve committed my share and will do so again. Never malicious, never to willfully or intentionally hurt another person. I was 100% accountable and still am. Even the thought of responding to claims of “nazi” or “racist” or any other term so watered down and rendered meaningless by spineless cowards who have never met me makes me ill. In modern times responding to such drivel somehow validates the claim.

My love of this country has always been worn on my sleeve. My desire to do the right thing and be a good person has driven most of my life choices. I stood at my locker 400+ times after my starts and took every question and answered honestly. Those people who stood there asking the questions KNOW what they are claiming is untrue yet they quote, re-quote and link to one another story after story that began as lies and grew into bigger ones. The game has made it clear it does not want me back and that’s fine, the game owes me exactly nothing. It gave a billion more times than it took and I’ll forever be deeply in debt to it. My desire to work with and teach young men the art of pitching will be tucked away.

But as I watch my wife battle cancer and go through the grueling soul crushing process of chemotherapy and see her hurt every time some idiot writes another hit piece linking to other hit pieces, none rooted in any sort of truth but rather story after story of “what he meant was” and “what he’s saying is” and “that’s a dog whistle for” all the while providing zero actual acts or quotes of the claims being made I can’t help but to go into deep conversation with my father.

“Never live your life trying to impress people you don’t know, or who don’t know you” and what that means in todays world.

Being an aspie has allowed it to flow like water off a ducks back. But to see the hurt I’m causing my wife and to have my children read and hear this stuff and then look at me and try and match a public “image” that in no way aligns with the man their father is , has been something I never considered.

I do not and never will “scoreboard” the cowards but if I’m not mistaken only Jamie Moyer and I “swept” the humanitarian awards players can win. Awards meant to define who the true man is apart from the player. These same writers voted on those awards. Do those awards and 22 years absent of a single validating event to support their claims define me? Or does a “what he meant to say” tweet? Based on the vote and the pike of dung authored by morally decrepit men like Dan Shaughnessy it’s the latter. I cannot and will not say or do anything to possibly soften a weak willed mans opinion of me if it is not something I believe. Just or not. I’ve chosen Arizona as the team I would have represented if I had been inducted and even though I heard someone there is calling for the DBacks front office to “meet” should the induction happen I’ll stand with that decision as I know Mr Kendrick to be an honorable and kind man. Should that change it most certainly would be the Phillies. What Mr Henry and Mr Werner did to my family and I in my final year has been forgiven but will never be forgotten. One thing this text certifies is that I talk way too much but I know I was never a yes/no answer guy. I apologize for the insane length of this but I guess I needed an outlet and I sure as hell don’t want to dump any of this on a woman who just ended her 3rd chemo and provides the reasons I eat sleep and breathe everyday. Why the text? If by some miracle this would happen I have zero interest in taking questions from the very group who lined up to destroy my character with no regard to anyone in my life or being held to account for their lies. I would and will talk with the guys on the MLB network if you want that, but no one else.

I wanted to reiterate this final point. I will not participate in the final year of voting. I am requesting to be removed from the ballot. I’ll defer to the veterans committee and men whose opinions actually matter and who are in a position to actually judge a player. I don’t think I’m a hall of famer as I’ve often stated but if former players think I am then I’ll accept that with honor.

Again, I won’t be able to thank you for your kindness and sincere interest in this process as it pertains to me. I’ll be forever grateful. God Bless you all again and one more time a final thank you for all your efforts to help my family and I.

LOL. "This was written privately and for their eyes only..." Then he puts it on social media. What a self-important, self-aggrandizing tool.

The truth is this: "Not enough people voted for me the last X years, so I am removing myself from the ballot so that they don't NOT vote for me next year. " Sir, you were a fine pitcher, borderline HOF, but you are a world-class tool.

,but you are a world-class tool.
Why does this have anything to do with making the HOF? I don't trust writers to be good at judging character. Too many lack that quality to make any judgements of athletes.

Last edited:
I don't have a beef with Shilling at all. Didn't like or dislike him as a player. The fact that many have chosen to crucify this guy based on some of his personal beliefs and that's just wrong. It continues to amaze me how some folks can expose equality and justice, yet they turn around an act indifferent towards people just because of some personal or religious beliefs.

I'm sure some took note of his previous racists remarks and didn't vote for him. I'm sure others didn't vote for him based on the fact he wore a shirt calling for journalists to be lynched. I'm sure others don't believe he belonged.

Either way...in all sports, you aren't just judged by what you do on the playing field/court. The players and fans all know this. It's their right to voice their opinions and it's the writer's right to vote for who they want.

Why does this have anything to do with making the HOF? I don't trust writers to be good at judging character. Too many lack that quality to make any judgements of athletes.
It has nothing to do with his HOF worthiness - I said that he is borderline HOF in my opinion - perhaps should have gotten in. I agree that sportswriter should not factor personal like/dislike into their votes.

However, he is handling the rejection like a big child. "I won't let you not vote for me next year!!"

The BBWAA has shown repeatedly that they are clearly biased and the “character” clause is a bad joke at best imo. I like the contents of the letter, I don’t like Schilling making it public.

It has nothing to do with his HOF worthiness - I said that he is borderline HOF in my opinion - perhaps should have gotten in. I agree that sportswriter should not factor personal like/dislike into their votes.

However, he is handling the rejection like a big child. "I won't let you not vote for me next year!!"
He’s just throwing a temper tantrum and is attempting to raise his profile via publicity. It’s transparent.

On the other hand, despite being an ardent and visible Trump supporter, Mariano Rivera was elected unanimously in his first year.

Schilling was arguably a “border-line” HOF candidate. There were good arguments for him to get in, and there were also arguments (specific to performance) suggesting he wasn’t quite HOF-worthy.

On the other hand, despite being an ardent and visible Trump supporter, Mariano Rivera was elected unanimously in his first year.

Schilling was arguably a “border-line” HOF candidate. There were good arguments for him to get in, and there were also arguments (specific to performance) suggesting he wasn’t quite HOF-worthy.
Rivera isn’t on social media stumping for Trump.

The BBWAA has shown repeatedly that they are clearly biased and the “character” clause is a bad joke at best imo. I like the contents of the letter, I don’t like Schilling making it public.
The character clause relates to your time as a player.

He's been close, was up to 70% last year needing 75%. Next year would be his final year of eligibility. I think the writers were screwing with him and he didn't want any part of it, making him wait until his final year. I do think had he been on the ballot next year he would've gotten it. People who make enemies of the writers get messed with. Not uncommon, unfortunately. Bonds and Clemens are out when he doesn't make it next year either.

He's been close, was up to 70% last year needing 75%. Next year would be his final year of eligibility. I think the writers were screwing with him and he didn't want any part of it, making him wait until his final year. I do think had he been on the ballot next year he would've gotten it. People who make enemies of the writers get messed with. Not uncommon, unfortunately. Bonds and Clemens are out when he doesn't make it next year either.
He wasn’t getting in, no way, no how.

I don't think it's really the writers are messing with him. Schilling has a history of twisting the story in his favor. Always plays the victim and takes his ball and goes home when called on it. It's what he's doing now that he realizes he's not going to get voted in.

Couple of comments, first of all Shilling has no say on being on the ballot or not. That's a non-factor. Players don't decide if they want in or not. Now if he were to be elected, he has to decide if he wants to participate, but he's in regardless.
Secondly, it's a shame that there is any appearance of using someone's political thoughts as a reason to elect or not elect someone into the HOF, and that needs to end. The writers sadly use their own thoughts at part of the vote for this stuff, and not the hall's criteria.

I don't think it's really the writers are messing with him. Schilling has a history of twisting the story in his favor. Always plays the victim and takes his ball and goes home when called on it. It's what he's doing now that he realizes he's not going to get voted in.

My point was that it should be about his baseball achievements, but there are instances where perceptions like this, accurate or not, affect voting.

He wasn’t getting in, no way, no how.

I don't know about that, like EP said, he's borderline. His win totals are low and his ERA is high for a HOF pitching candidate, but it certainly wouldn't be the lowest win total or highest ERA in the HOF.

I don't know about that, like EP said, he's borderline. His win totals are low and his ERA is high for a HOF pitching candidate, but it certainly wouldn't be the lowest win total or highest ERA in the HOF.

He should get in, but the writers aren’t going to vote him in. They hate him for his politics, so unless he’s a slam dunk 1st Ballot HOFer, he’s not getting in.

He should get in, but the writers aren’t going to vote him in. They hate him for his politics, so unless he’s a slam dunk 1st Ballot HOFer, he’s not getting in.

Yeah, that was what I was getting at. It's not always about the stats, it's more of a popularity contest than most would like to think.

They don't hate him because of his politics. The hate him because he uses the game to further his personal agenda which is full of conspiracies.

Those of you saying it is because of his personal beliefs, make your statistical claim. I think he was very good, especially in big games, but his stats say "borderline HOF". He got 70% of vote - feels about right to me. Borderline.

Schilling: 216-146 W/L, with decent but not great ERA (3.46) and WHIP. A few great postseason outings doesn't get you in the HOF.

A few comparables with fewer/similar wins in the HOF:
- Koufax - 165-87 - only 12 year career of utter dominant numbers (2.75 ERA)
- Halladay - 203-105 - this is the one guy comparable to Schilling (3.25 ERA but far fewer losses and starts)
- Drysdale - 209-155 - very dominant 14 years (2.90 ERA)
- Smoltz - 213 wins but 154 saves as closer also
- Pedro Martinez - 219-100 - (2.90 ERA)

Make your case that he is being cheated somehow. IMO he is just a self-aggrandizing blowhard looking for any publicity he can get.

Those of you saying it is because of his personal beliefs, make your statistical claim. I think he was very good, especially in big games, but his stats say "borderline HOF". He got 70% of vote - feels about right to me. Borderline.

Schilling: 216-146 W/L, with decent but not great ERA (3.46) and WHIP. A few great postseason outings doesn't get you in the HOF.

A few comparables with fewer/similar wins in the HOF:
- Koufax - 165-87 - only 12 year career of utter dominant numbers (2.75 ERA)
- Halladay - 203-105 - this is the one guy comparable to Schilling (3.25 ERA but far fewer losses and starts)
- Drysdale - 209-155 - very dominant 14 years (2.90 ERA)
- Smoltz - 213 wins but 154 saves as closer also
- Pedro Martinez - 219-100 - (2.90 ERA)

Make your case that he is being cheated somehow. IMO he is just a self-aggrandizing blowhard looking for any publicity he can get.

From my standpoint, I said he was borderline specifically because of low win/high ERA numbers compared to other HOF pitchers. My argument was that the voting is outdated and your relationship with the writers will make or break you if you're a borderline player. Schilling certainly compares with other HOF pitchers so it's not like this is comparing apples to oranges.

More wins and a lower ERA would be the sure way to improve his chances. But I think the voters can be juvenile when they want to be.

From my standpoint, I said he was borderline specifically because of low win/high ERA numbers compared to other HOF pitchers. My argument was that the voting is outdated and your relationship with the writers will make or break you if you're a borderline player. Schilling certainly compares with other HOF pitchers so it's not like this is comparing apples to oranges.

More wins and a lower ERA would be the sure way to improve his chances. But I think the voters can be juvenile when they want to be.
Not all games are created equal. His performances in the Post Season put him over the top. It’s why Bumgarner should also get in.