DS: Geisen

Elder
Setter: Bianco and Weisman
Middles: Meyer, Busken, Zimmer
Outside: Albers, Maune, Schwallie
Opposite: Albers, Maurer
Libero: Samuels, Geisen
DS: Geisen
With Tierney, I would count on seniors getting the first crack at things.
Think we'll see Bianco and Weisman both playing 6 rotations in a 6-2. Cannot see Mauer getting playing time as a hitter over Bianco, Weisman or even Albers at Opp; he's way too inconsistent.
Albers as an OH with Schwallie playing DS this year, Maune as the other OH. Possible DS for him could one of Geisen/Samuels/Smith.
Meyer as M1, toss up between Busken and Zimmer for M2.
Samuels probably should be the libero, but Tierney doesn't often have sophomores on varsity so we'll see. If he's not it'll probably be Geisen at L.

Elder list looks good. Agreed with above that either Samuels or Geisen is libero. One of Weisman and Bianco will hit, Mauer won't play over them. Middle is a toss up between all three mentioned. Elder will have a few really good players as backups this year

Moeller

Setter: Beckelhimer likely running a 5-1. Possibly with Yeoman as 6-2
Middles: Reinhold, Boone
Outsides: Carroll, ? (Patterson, Yeoman, Reihle) 2nd outside Moe's biggest question mark
Opposites: Nahrup (+ Beckelhimer if a 6-2)
DS/L: Reihle, Wong, Davy, Smith

X

Setter: Carmosino
Middles: Toomb, ? (2nd middle is a big missing piece for X could be any number of players, none of which have played middle before)
Outsides: Kastner, Tooman
Opposite: Haarmeyer, Meyer, Berkemeier
DS/L: Mcgrath, Schroeder

Elder list looks good. Agreed with above that either Samuels or Geisen is libero. One of Weisman and Bianco will hit
You think Albers or Schwallie ends up playing front row on for one of them and the other one is OH2? I can't see Maune not being OH1. I know they didn't make cuts and have 15 guys so there's a lot to choose from.

Looks like Samuels will be the libero for the big matches and then play JV also. Any word on how good Lasalle will be this year?

"libero for the big matches and then play JV also" - that's... interesting.

Lasalle: granted, this is based on very limited knowledge:

S: ?
OH: Berrens, Albrinck
MB: Goldschmidt, Bollhauer, Phillips
OPP: Eichhold
DS: Gagnon, Tapke
They have a talented freshman in Hausfeld, who maybe could set? Or maybe he hits and Berrens sets?

You think Albers or Schwallie ends up playing front row on for one of them and the other one is OH2? I can't see Maune not being OH1. I know they didn't make cuts and have 15 guys so there's a lot to choose from.
I think if they want the three best pins playing, one of Albers or Maune will be Oppo. Schwallie is the best 6-Ro option, so he stays at OH, I'd wager. Then it might come down to what Elder wants out of OH1.

I think if they want the three best pins playing, one of Albers or Maune will be Oppo. Schwallie is the best 6-Ro option, so he stays at OH, I'd wager. Then it might come down to what Elder wants out of OH1.
Not sure I agree. While Schwallie is a better passer than Albers or Maune, he has very little hitting power from the back row. I guess it depends on what Tierney is looking for. In my opinion Maune is the clear OH1.

Not sure I agree. While Schwallie is a better passer than Albers or Maune, he has very little hitting power from the back row. I guess it depends on what Tierney is looking for. In my opinion Maune is the clear OH1.
I wouldn’t be too sure. Tierney seems like the coach to worry about team morale. Schwallie and Albers are leaders on the court and may be what Elder needs to be a threat this year. On the topic of libero, Samuels is very talented, but Geisen is more experienced and confident with being on a varsity team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t be too sure. Tierney seems like the coach to worry about team morale. Schwallie and Albers are leaders on the court and may be what Elder needs to be a threat this year. On the topic of libero, Samuels is very talented, but Geisen is more experienced and confident with being on a varsity team.
Geisen has played 0 varsity matches though, right? He practiced varsity for a week or two before covid, but that's not some insurmountable amount of experience. That being said, I like to see the Seniors get a chance if they're close in skill level. I'd also guess the other seniors would rather play with Geisen, just from knowing him better and being more used to playing with him. However, many of the juniors have been playing with Samuels during club the past few years.

Looks like Samuels will be the libero for the big matches and then play JV also. Any word on how good Lasalle will be this year?
Elder has usually stuck to their guns with juniors and seniors being varsity starters and have started to change things up in recent memory (going to JVA and JVB vs JV and freshmen), but this seems super weird for any program. I'm assuming you're a junior at the school and maybe on the team so, if that's the case, you'd know better than any of us.

Last edited:
Tierney is very much the type of coach that wants good, team-first attitudes on the court, even when the chips are down.

Have to agree with Falcon about libero. Samuels and Geisen essentially have the same amount of varsity experience and, IMO, Samuels is more talented. But, if the gap isn't that wide, certainly give the edge to the senior. This year, of all years, giving seniors more preference and breathing room would seem appropriate since they were robbed of their junior and first varsity seasons.

Tierney is very much the type of coach that wants good, team-first attitudes on the court, even when the chips are down.

Have to agree with Falcon about libero. Samuels and Geisen essentially have the same amount of varsity experience and, IMO, Samuels is more talented. But, if the gap isn't that wide, certainly give the edge to the senior. This year, of all years, giving seniors more preference and breathing room would seem appropriate since they were robbed of their junior and first varsity seasons.
Agreed, Geisen with zero varsity experience while Samuels has played meaningful matches on the club and high performance level in recent years. If anyone has more experience I would argue it is Samuels.

X

Setter: Carmosino
Middles: Toomb, ? (2nd middle is a big missing piece for X could be any number of players, none of which have played middle before)
Outsides: Kastner, Tooman
Opposite: Haarmeyer, Meyer, Berkemeier
DS/L: Mcgrath, Schroeder

In your opinion, does Bill pull the trigger and put Kastner in the Middle? If not, can Meyer fill that void successfully?

In your opinion, does Bill pull the trigger and put Kastner in the Middle? If not, can Meyer fill that void successfully?
It would probably be a mistake to put Kastner at middle, although he would still perform well.

A 6 rotation outside can have more of an impact on a match than a middle, which is why I would keep him there