NE8 2021

Spread All Day

This is a really early thread for this, but the Niles Coach posted some thing and it inspired me to make this post. (It was funny, I laughed)
My early picks for the league.

1.South Range
2. Poland
3. Hubbard
4. Niles
5.Struthers/girard
7. Jefferson
8.Lakeview

I take it that South Range and Poland have the most players returning for 2021?
From what I understand Poland south range and Hubbard are all bringing a lot back. Poland is a ? With a new coach. Hubbard is too one dimensional and south range is really balanced. The rest are a crap shoot this season.

South range should win the league, Hubbard will be good they need to be able to throw it better, Poland the coaching is tricky to see where they will
Be.

This is a really early thread for this, but the Niles Coach posted some thing and it inspired me to make this post. (It was funny, I laughed)
My early picks for the league.

1.South Range
2. Poland
3. Hubbard
4. Niles
5.Struthers/girard
7. Jefferson
8.Lakeview
I'm curious to see what the Niles coach posted. I didn't see it.

South range should win the league, Hubbard will be good they need to be able to throw it better, Poland the coaching is tricky to see where they will
Be.
Thanks Buckeye for putting a big ole bullseye on our backs! ?

In all seriousness, I know we return a number of starters, but we also lost some really big performers in Patrone, Gehring and Blasko, so we will still need to plug a few holes and the younger guys will certainly need to continue to develop. Hopefully that all happens and we can get another league title. That would be quite an accomplishment being the smallest school in the league.

Thanks Buckeye for putting a big ole bullseye on our backs! ?

In all seriousness, I know we return a number of starters, but we also lost some really big performers in Patrone, Gehring and Blasko, so we will still need to plug a few holes and the younger guys will certainly need to continue to develop. Hopefully that all happens and we can get another league title. That would be quite an accomplishment being the smallest school in the league.
Today the league looks a lot different than three years ago. Jefferson is d5. Lakeview is close. Struthers is getting there and so is Poland. Hubbard went up to 3 and niles stays at 3.

SR was only one boy from D6, and likely will be D6 the next realignment. I’ve been trying to tell everyone here for years that we are not a “growing district”. To your point Spread, I don’t think any district is growing in the Mahoning Valley anymore. Springfield maybe? I guess OE could hide this population decline issue in many districts for awhile, but not forever.

With these division shifts does the league have many years left together? Seems to becoming more of a D5 and D6 league. Quickly the NE8 may fall apart much like EBC. The days of keeping 8 schools together is a close geographical area are becoming extremely difficult.

With these division shifts does the league have many years left together? Seems to becoming more of a D5 and D6 league. Quickly the NE8 may fall apart much like EBC. The days of keeping 8 schools together is a close geographical area are becoming extremely difficult.
I think so. Because the bigger schools aren’t dominating. Hubbard is good in football. They’re awful in hoops. Niles is average in football and not good in hoops. If they both started to dominate maybe.

I think the league will be fine, the only issue will be if Hubbard was dominating and small schools didn’t want to play them anymore, Niles program isn’t built like hubbards for long term success, sure they may win the league eventually, but nobody will shy away from them. If Hubbard ever leaves which I don’t think will happen btw, I could easily see Springfield joining if most schools fall to D5 which will happen eventually

SR was only one boy from D6, and likely will be D6 the next realignment. I’ve been trying to tell everyone here for years that we are not a “growing district”. To your point Spread, I don’t think any district is growing in the Mahoning Valley anymore. Springfield maybe? I guess OE could hide this population decline issue in many districts for awhile, but not forever.
I don’t think SR could grow with the school size they have right now anyway, which is good for them, outside players sometimes can ruin a system and team

I think there’s plenty of smaller schools in the Valley to keep the NE8 alive if anyone leaves.
By 2023, Struthers, Lakeview, and Girard should all be in D5. South Range should be in D6. Poland should be a small D4. Jefferson should no longer be in the conference. Hubbard will probably still be on the border between D4 and D3. And I think Niles will still be in D3.

Enrollment wise, Niles and Hubbard would be great fits for the SVC, along with Canfield and Howland. But competitively the only schools that wouldn’t struggle are Canfield and Hubbard.
The 3 schools that would make the most sense for the NE8 are Springfield, LaBrae, and Crestview. But I don’t see Niles or Hubbard going anywhere anytime soon.

I think the league will be fine, the only issue will be if Hubbard was dominating and small schools didn’t want to play them anymore, Niles program isn’t built like hubbards for long term success, sure they may win the league eventually, but nobody will shy away from them. If Hubbard ever leaves which I don’t think will happen btw, I could easily see Springfield joining if most schools fall to D5 which will happen eventually
With the new two Tier MVAC, I don't see SL going anywhere. I cans see the MVAC rearrange their tiers to have Labrae, Brookfield, Campbell, Liberty, Champion, etc move into SL's tier with McDonald and see Sebring, Lowellville, Milton dropping down.

But who knows. I think the NE8, minus Jefferson, is a very good league. I would say drop Jefferson and bring in Howland.

I would say Jefferson is very likely to leave for the CVC soon due to enrollment and geography. Richmond Heights currently leaves a hole in football for the CVC Metro and there could easily be a shift with Beachwood or Hawken to allow Jefferson into the CVC Valley with Berkshire, Cardinal, Grand Valley, Harvey, etc.

With the new two Tier MVAC, I don't see SL going anywhere. I cans see the MVAC rearrange their tiers to have Labrae, Brookfield, Campbell, Liberty, Champion, etc move into SL's tier with McDonald and see Sebring, Lowellville, Milton dropping down.

But who knows. I think the NE8, minus Jefferson, is a very good league. I would say drop Jefferson and bring in Howland.
I agree with the second part forsure. The move for SL into the NE8 would be huge for a gate, if there ever is a gate again that is lol

Howland joining would be a mistake, not because that today they would dominate but as these population declines happen in the smaller communities the larger communities would soon have the upper hand. The Tigers with a good coach would dominate this league in the future. But joining would make the league sustainable for Niles and Hubbard. Both schools need 10-0 or 9-1 seasons to make the playoffs in their region if they are in a league with all D5 D6 schools.

Seems like leagues are forever realigning...a lot of the aforementioned schools are losing enrollment. Seems to be the going trend in this area. Jefferson leaving is huge...not sure why they were ever invited or accepted to join the NE8. No great fit though, crestview might the closest fit. Realigning the MVAC would cause a lot of issues but I’m all for it because it will make for great theater. Do you realign for geography or competitiveness? Too bad most schools hate the parochials because uhs and Mooney are nice fits for NE8.

Howland joining would be a mistake, not because that today they would dominate but as these population declines happen in the smaller communities the larger communities would soon have the upper hand. The Tigers with a good coach would dominate this league in the future. But joining would make the league sustainable for Niles and Hubbard. Both schools need 10-0 or 9-1 seasons to make the playoffs in their region if they are in a league with all D5 D6 schools.
Howland is a soccer school, football numbers and interest way down. Days of them dominating in football are over, kids are too soft. South Range the smallest school will continue to be one of the top 3 teams in the league year in year out.

Seems like leagues are forever realigning...a lot of the aforementioned schools are losing enrollment. Seems to be the going trend in this area. Jefferson leaving is huge...not sure why they were ever invited or accepted to join the NE8. No great fit though, crestview might the closest fit. Realigning the MVAC would cause a lot of issues but I’m all for it because it will make for great theater. Do you realign for geography or competitiveness? Too bad most schools hate the parochials because uhs and Mooney are nice fits for NE8.

I'm not sure that we (C-View) would be a great fit for the NE8. We would be competitive in football as our rivalry with South Range goes in cycles, solid in baseball, but that's it for boys sports. Basketball is improving, but we were so bad over the past 10 years, we really couldn't go anywhere but up. Our girls volleyball program is one of, if not the best in the area for over 30 years, but I don't know how competitive they would be in other sports. They'd be solid in basketball and softball, but nothing amazing. I guess one would have to take all of that into account before offering the position to a school. We would definitely be a step up from Jefferson in football.

Crestview's in a bit of a tough spot...they have outgrown the schools of the EOAC, but the MVAC - Grey Tier(?) is a lot of travel. It would help the Rebels if the MVAC moved them in with Springfield, WR and McDonald. Maybe that is what the league will eventually do.

Another school I would throw out there is Salem. The issue with the Quakers is that they won't go anywhere without West Branch. But size wise and competitiveness of most sports I think would be a good fit in the NE8.

Crestview's in a bit of a tough spot...they have outgrown the schools of the EOAC, but the MVAC - Grey Tier(?) is a lot of travel. It would help the Rebels if the MVAC moved them in with Springfield, WR and McDonald. Maybe that is what the league will eventually do.

Another school I would throw out there is Salem. The issue with the Quakers is that they won't go anywhere without West Branch. But size wise and competitiveness of most sports I think would be a good fit in the NE8.

Raider#23, do you think that South Range would have stayed in the ITCL if it hadn't dissolved? I know it's kind of a pointless question, but I was just curious if they had visions of moving on to a greater challenge. I know the whole destruction of the ITCL started when The Range and The View attended a meeting with the schools of the NBC (I think that's what it was called. Salem, WB, Marlington, ECT), or at least that was part of the excuse used to dissolve it, anyhow. What is your opinion on it?

This is the first in many years there won't be a Hubbard/Howland game this year. I, for one, would like to see Howland in the NE8 replacing Jefferson. They would be a good fit and be a whole lot closer than traveling up to Ashtabula county.

Raider#23, do you think that South Range would have stayed in the ITCL if it hadn't dissolved? I know it's kind of a pointless question, but I was just curious if they had visions of moving on to a greater challenge. I know the whole destruction of the ITCL started when The Range and The View attended a meeting with the schools of the NBC (I think that's what it was called. Salem, WB, Marlington, ECT), or at least that was part of the excuse used to dissolve it, anyhow. What is your opinion on it?
Good question. I'm not sure. I know I talked to someone in the administration with SR that wanted to stay with Crestview, where ever the two may land after the breakup, but at the end of the day SR had to go where they felt best. The NBC/EBC(?) I think it was, then to the NE8.

I think eventually they would have left if the ITCL hadn't imploded. I don't think SR felt as much anger/disappointment as Crestview did. We didn't have the same history with many of the teams we were playing, mostly former TCL schools. SR was rumored for different leagues a couple times before the ITCL broke-up, so I think they probably had some feelers out there for some time. The ITCL break-up just seemed to be the final push off the cliff.

This is the first in many years there won't be a Hubbard/Howland game this year. I, for one, would like to see Howland in the NE8 replacing Jefferson. They would be a good fit and be a whole lot closer than traveling up to Ashtabula county.
I agree. Howland isn’t dominating anyone. Haven’t for a decade.