Western Buckeye League 2021

jonmoxon

Should be an interesting season!

The league might be a little down compared to year's past.

I think Van Wert would have to be the favorite this year, defending state champions plus they return 16 starters who played large roles.
St. Marys will always be a tough team to face, plus they return Hinkle who's a solid RB.
Elida could be dark horse too they are extremely well coached and return a lot of guys.
Wapak will be solid as well they return some good athletes.
OG should always be a tough out too.

Last edited:

Treece is a special talent but look for Wapak to bounce back they are the biggest school in the league and have had a great run of talent the last several years. St. Mary’s always tough and well coached and Elida is on the rise. We need Celina and Defiance to get better.......there have been some awful teams in the league for many years. Personally although a lot smaller I would like to see a split in divisions with the Mac....wishful thinking and put top 3 or 4 teams in with the top 5 or 6 WBL and that would be a strong league. I know Marion Local and Coldwater would probably have won the WBL the last 10 years or so for sure.

Will this thread get more than 445 replies that the 2020 thread got? It was started about 51 weeks ago.
I will say yes. Many passionate fans in that neck of the woods, and Van Wert winning and returning a bit will amp up the discussion.

I think Van Wert would have to be the favorite this year, defending state champions plus they return 16 starters who played large roles.
St. Marys will always be a tough team to face, plus they return Hinkle who's a solid RB.
Elida could be dark horse too they are extremely well coached and return a lot of guys.

I think it will be pretty wide open. You can make a case for and against quite a few teams to be in the hunt for the WBL title.

Van Wert lost two all-state caliber, 2 way starters. But have a lot of starters back according to the OP.
Saint Marys and Wapak are both well-coached, and play tough, physical football. They'll always be in the top 3-4 teams.
Elida is much improved but graduated some very good players. Have a young, impressive QB.
Shawnee was young and is continuing to improve, play solid defense, but needs to figure out a way to score points.
Bath might have the best QB in the WBL next year and some solid juniors returning, but lost a lot of multi year starters.
OG has 15 or so starters back as well, but graduated most of their best skill players.
Celina seems to be very up and down right now, and could go either way. Always have some good players though.
Kenton lost a lot of great athletes and may struggle this year. A good recruiting season could fix that.
Defiance was not a bad football team for being in the cellar of the WBL.

The top of the WBL may not be as good as it has been in years past, but I think the bottom and the middle is much better than it has been for the last 10-15 years. . I don't think there is a bad coach in the league anymore and more teams are on the way up than down in my opinion.

If anything I think the league overall is getting stronger. Now let's see if iron sharpens iron like it always does in the MAC.

Or maybe a better analogy for the MAC is diamond cutting diamond!

Van Wert returns every starter back on offense except Treece and Johnson. Two very large pieces to their success but I think they have a very solid replacement in Aidan Pratt who was an all-district honorable mention DE this past year as a sophomore, plus they have had a high-powered offense the last few seasons I think they can keep that going in 2021.

They also lose 3 starters on defense too, I think it will be very difficult for opponents to run the ball on them next year as they have a very physical defensive line.

I think we have to look Van Wert has one of the top teams in the WBL too. Second most wins in the WBL since 2017, 2 playoff appearances (including 2020), and a state championship. I would not doubt it if Van Wert is a top team or even wins the WBL next year.

Last edited:
No one is doubting that Van Wert will be a good team next year, but when you lose two elite athletes that carried you on offense and defense, those are big shoes to fill. I'm sure your young DE has some potential as your new QB, but that's quite a difference. Especially in a QB run oriented spread offense.

Congratulations to Van Wert on their state championship. The Titans are proud to be the team that kept them from a perfect season.

No one is doubting that Van Wert will be a good team next year, but when you lose two elite athletes that carried you on offense and defense, those are big shoes to fill. I'm sure your young DE has some potential as your new QB, but that's quite a difference. Especially in a QB run oriented spread offense.

Congratulations to Van Wert on their state championship. The Titans are proud to be the team that kept them from a perfect season.
Im sure Van Wert is ok with loosing to The Titans and still hold the gold trophy at the end of year. I dont think Van Wert will be down as much as you think. The Junior class is very good. They will be returning everyone on the offensive and defensive line

Im sure Van Wert is ok with loosing to The Titans and still hold the gold trophy at the end of year. I dont think Van Wert will be down as much as you think. The Junior class is very good. They will be returning everyone on the offensive and defensive line

Never said they will be way down. Pretty sure I said they'll be contenders for the WBL title again? Also congratulated you on your state championship. That's super impressive, and the entire program deserves all the compliments we can give. Even an 8-2 record and regional runner up season in 2021 would be a significant step down. If you are calling for 10-0 or 9-1 and playing in the state championship again, that's quite a statement.

Quit being hyper defensive and just acknowledge it will be tough to replace two of the best players you've had in school history.

What am I missing here? Kenton and recruiting? Bad pranks, bad sportsmanship, and coon dogs I've heard, but nothing about alleged recruiting.

What am I missing here? Kenton and recruiting? Bad pranks, bad sportsmanship, and coon dogs I've heard, but nothing about alleged recruiting.
I wonder how Kenton feels about their "dream season" in 2020 ending going 5-4 with a 41 point playoff loss to Bellevue.

My breakdown for 2021:

VW- brings back 16 and will have a different type of QB next year. 6'4 190 kid who can run but have not seem him throw enough to be confident in his abilities. Defense will definitely keep up in games and they still have a couple explosive offensive kids coming back.

OG/Wapak- not sure who comes back for either but I think Wapak has the Goulet kid back at Qb and hopefully stays healthy for them.

Kenton- same as stated above. Lose a lot and have no idea who they have in younger classes. Fackelr is one of the best in the business though.

Bath- I think this could be their year. Have the best QB in the league and is just a Sophomore. Excited to see this kid over the next couple of years.

Elida- Harmon has them rolling already and the young athletic QB they bring back is a difference maker too.

Defiance- I know the defense they bring back has been mentioned but any offensive talent coming up for Kline to use Defiance fans?

Shawnee- think they will be middle of the pack but do bring back a decent amount it seems.

Celina- lose lots of offensive talent in Silliman/Jones. Could be a long year. Anything left in the wings for next year Bulldog fans?

St. Marys- poised to have another good year with some good RBs and the Reineke kid back at QB. Maybe they throw a bit more this year because the Reineke kid has the ability to do that for them.

It's a joke. Talented skill kids in the area frequently end up at Kenton to play in that system. It's been happening for years. I don't blame them, it's a great offense to develop QB's and WRs. I think they had a stud WR transfer in just last year from somewhere over there. It's a great program.

Seriously though, Kenton has been the best team in the WBL over the last 20 years. Wasn't really that long ago that they were spanking Van Wert like a small child.

Jon, maybe you played on one of those teams and are somewhat bitter? But go ahead and take your shots now that you have had your best team in school history. You beat Wapak, SM and OG next year, you can talk all you want.

Good luck.

16 starters.... DANG.....

It's a joke. Talented skill kids in the area frequently end up at Kenton to play in that system. It's been happening for years. I don't blame them, it's a great offense to develop QB's and WRs. I think they had a stud WR transfer in just last year from somewhere over there. It's a great program.

Seriously though, Kenton has been the best team in the WBL over the last 20 years. Wasn't really that long ago that they were spanking Van Wert like a small child.

Jon, maybe you played on one of those teams and are somewhat bitter? But go ahead and take your shots now that you have had your best team in school history. You beat Wapak, SM and OG next year, you can talk all you want.

Good luck.
everybody was spanking VW, things change, Recker seems to have the culture changing... that is HALF the battle......

Maybe Covid will be gone this summer, maybe Kenton can go on that USA tour for 7 on 7's again , that could improve them again....

everybody was spanking VW, things change, Recker seems to have the culture changing... that is HALF the battle......

Maybe Covid will be gone this summer, maybe Kenton can go on that USA tour for 7 on 7's again , that could improve them again....
Yeah, that always seems to be way over the top to travel the country with 7 on 7s but they must be flush with $$ up there in Hardin County as they were the first to have those light up first down markers a few years ago.

Maybe it is all the wind turbines.

Co7dwa7er has had tremendous success against Kenton since their playoff matchup in '98. When Coach Mauk was at the helm they were very 'arrogant' on offense and no matter how much pressure you put on the QB he would refuse to put a RB/FB, something, back there to help, or to adjust in any fashion. They seemed to put token interest into their defense, and special teams? What is special teams?

I have noticed, and granted I only see them on average 1.5 times a year, has become so lateral in nature. It may work against some teams who have poor talent in the secondary but for those who have some talent it has not been that successful.

Van Wert had a great run. Now lets see what happens now that they have become the huntED instead of the huntER.

I really hope Celina can regroup but their numbers seem so low, and by the scrimmage against CW the last two years they may be a long way off.

Yeah, that always seems to be way over the top to travel the country with 7 on 7s but they must be flush with $$ up there in Hardin County as they were the first to have those light up first down markers a few years ago.

Maybe it is all the wind turbines.

Co7dwa7er has had tremendous success against Kenton since their playoff matchup in '98. When Coach Mauk was at the helm they were very 'arrogant' on offense and no matter how much pressure you put on the QB he would refuse to put a RB/FB, something, back there to help, or to adjust in any fashion. They seemed to put token interest into their defense, and special teams? What is special teams?

I have noticed, and granted I only see them on average 1.5 times a year, has become so lateral in nature. It may work against some teams who have poor talent in the secondary but for those who have some talent it has not been that successful.

Van Wert had a great run. Now lets see what happens now that they have become the huntED instead of the huntER.

I really hope Celina can regroup but their numbers seem so low, and by the scrimmage against CW the last two years they may be a long way off.

I'm pretty positive he is considered the godfather of the 5 wide spread offense in Ohio. Kenton started it I wanna say in 1999 or 2000. Many teams adopted this system/style at some point and some have continued to do it. Dover being probably the most notable. Arrogant or not Kenton won 2 State Championships, and has 2 State Runner ups to back this up. What has Kenton done since Mauk went to Glendale (HS) Missouri?

Good luck.
Van Wert can talk all they want. Wapak has never got out of their region so...

I'm pretty positive he is considered the godfather of the 5 wide spread offense in Ohio. Kenton started it I wanna say in 1999 or 2000. Many teams adopted this system/style at some point and some have continued to do it. Dover being probably the most notable. Arrogant or not Kenton won 2 State Championships, and has 2 State Runner ups to back this up. What has Kenton done since Mauk went to Glendale (HS) Missouri?
No doubt about that, they were on the forefront of the spread passing attack. That is absolutely correct.
I want to say in the late 90's they threw it well, and also had a 1000 running back.

Here is the thing.

What have they done WITHOUT a generational, national record holding QB? Ben and Maddy were two of the most electric QBs I have seen at the HS level. That cannot be disputed by anyone.
Of course it wasnt ALL the Mauk boys. They had a dominating Corp that was aided by Mauks ability to scramble, and Cornell was as dominating on defense (and on offense) as one can ever find at the HS level.

There are great teams, and great programs.

Great coaches/programs turn out top notch teams even when they do not have a D1 talent at the QB position.
Kenton success in the playoffs has been nominal without a Mauk at QB.

I am not taking anything away from them whatsoever, but it is what it is. We see it across the board in all sports. Some programs sustain with, and without, D1 type of talent and some do not.

With that said, Van Wert is now the king of the castle. Success has a way of breeding success in High School programs. What sucks for the kids of Van Wert is that so few got to experience these wins first hand. I still remember as a kid attending state games of my team, and man that was so exciting and was a driving force in wanting to do what those HS kids got to do and going to the games went a long way.

Someone in VW chime in next fall and let us know if the numbers in 7th/8th grade starts to see a spike in kids going out. It will be interesting to watch.

No doubt about that, they were on the forefront of the spread passing attack. That is absolutely correct.
I want to say in the late 90's they threw it well, and also had a 1000 running back.

Here is the thing.

What have they done WITHOUT a generational, national record holding QB? Ben and Maddy were two of the most electric QBs I have seen at the HS level. That cannot be disputed by anyone.
Of course it wasnt ALL the Mauk boys. They had a dominating Corp that was aided by Mauks ability to scramble, and Cornell was as dominating on defense (and on offense) as one can ever find at the HS level.

There are great teams, and great programs.

Great coaches/programs turn out top notch teams even when they do not have a D1 talent at the QB position.
Kenton success in the playoffs has been nominal without a Mauk at QB.

I am not taking anything away from them whatsoever, but it is what it is. We see it across the board in all sports. Some programs sustain with, and without, D1 type of talent and some do not.

With that said, Van Wert is now the king of the castle. Success has a way of breeding success in High School programs. What sucks for the kids of Van Wert is that so few got to experience these wins first hand. I still remember as a kid attending state games of my team, and man that was so exciting and was a driving force in wanting to do what those HS kids got to do and going to the games went a long way.

Someone in VW chime in next fall and let us know if the numbers in 7th/8th grade starts to see a spike in kids going out. It will be interesting to watch.

Kenton's run to the 2003 state final was without any Mauk at QB.....

They also won regional titles in 13 and 14.

The only constant on ALL of those teams? Mike Mauk.

A runner up and 2 other Final Fours in 12 (8, really, considering 4 of those were with Maty) years is nominal? I guess in MAC speak it is, but I'm betting 90% of programs around the state would take it. That's effectively a 37.5% shot they were winning their region.

1- Wapak- I think after an off year by the skins, I think they get back to their rightful place atop the WBL
2- St. Marys- Coach Frye always has his teams ready and this year will be no different
3- OG- They lose some key players but they always find a way
4- Kenton- I'm expecting a transfer kid to come in and play QB
5- Bath- I felt like this is the year they've been waiting for could be a tough out
6- Elida- Coach Harmon is building something over there
7- Van Wert- I think they lose too much to stay atop the league
8- Shawnee- Could be a year away
9- Celina- Cellar dweller
10- Defiance- Cellar dweller

1- Wapak- I think after an off year by the skins, I think they get back to their rightful place atop the WBL
2- St. Marys- Coach Frye always has his teams ready and this year will be no different
3- OG- They lose some key players but they always find a way
4- Kenton- I'm expecting a transfer kid to come in and play QB
5- Bath- I felt like this is the year they've been waiting for could be a tough out
6- Elida- Coach Harmon is building something over there
7- Van Wert- I think they lose too much to stay atop the league
8- Shawnee- Could be a year away
9- Celina- Cellar dweller
10- Defiance- Cellar dweller
You are crazy if you think VW will be that low. They are easily top 3 unless proven otherwise with 16 starters (not "losing too much") back from that team. Kenton loses a lot more than VW and you have them 4th? From 8 and down I do agree with you though.

You are crazy if you think VW will be that low. They are easily top 3 unless proven otherwise with 16 starters (not "losing too much") back from that team. Kenton loses a lot more than VW and you have them 4th? From 8 and down I do agree with you though.
Van Wert loses a lot compared to Kenton. Kenton is usually a top team where Van Wert is definitely a one year wonder-seeing as how they got lucky against my Redskins last year!