The Official 2021 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Since he's already turned down the QO (as expected), I'd assume he's looking to make a little more than that
We're all hoping to make a little more. But it is starting to look like maybe the market won't bear it. If the Cubs are slashing $$$, maybe the Yanks and Dodgers will need to also? I'm more hopeful than I was a few weeks ago about the Reds retaining Bauer.

Cardinals join the Cubs and Brewers in the NL Central in stating their need to cut payroll.
You gotta really love baseball to be reading about it and posting this at 5am. I saw the post about the Cubs was at 2am the other day. Are you in Europe? Or maybe you are a vampire? If so, don't change your Yappi name to Vamps2. You are a much more informed poster than that guy, and you don't need to be associated with him.

We're all hoping to make a little more. But it is starting to look like maybe the market won't bear it. If the Cubs are slashing $$$, maybe the Yanks and Dodgers will need to also? I'm more hopeful than I was a few weeks ago about the Reds retaining Bauer.

He will make more than $19M. Clubs will still spend the money on talent and cut positions elsewhere in their organizations.

LMAO at wolves going to the Mods to get my perfectly accurate posts deleted ?

OK, I typically ignore your posts because they are always negative and never interesting. But I have to respond to this.

A) I have not had any exchanges with you on Yappi for months, so not sure what post you refer to
B) I have no idea how to "go to the Mods"
C) Literally no one cares what you have to say
D) Why would I waste my time?

OK, I typically ignore your posts because they are always negative and never interesting. But I have to respond to this.

A) I have not had any exchanges with you on Yappi for months, so not sure what post you refer to
B) I have no idea how to "go to the Mods"
C) Literally no one cares what you have to say
D) Why would I waste my time?
A) Pretty sure it wasn't months ago that you said you were going to put me on ignore
B) Sure you do and if not you're not very bright
C) Why did you answer ?‍♂️
D) I'm sure all you have is time ?

James McCann could be an interesting upgrade at Catcher. He could likely be had for $3-5M. It would likely require moving Barnhart in a trade as well as Casali. A move like this would save the Reds money as well as upgrade the position offensively at least.

James McCann could be an interesting upgrade at Catcher. He could likely be had for $3-5M. It would likely require moving Barnhart in a trade as well as Casali. A move like this would save the Reds money as well as upgrade the position offensively at least.
I always had the impression that McCann could hit, but I checked and it was a mistaken impression. Career .249 BA, .300 OBP, .694 OPS. Only one year above 15 HR. I don't want to wreck the great pitcher/catcher chemistry the Reds have for a minor upgrade on offense like that. Casali is actually a better HR per AB, OBP and OPS guy than McCann.

Reports by the Athletic say the Reds are open to trading Sonny Gray.

Another report says the Ray's are open to offers for Blake Snell (3 yrs/$39m).

Hopefully the Reds are just gauging the market to determine what teams are willing to pay for a front line starters in order to make a comparable offer for Snell without over paying.

Reds reportedly interested in Dan Straily.

An article a couple of days ago claimed that Krall stated the Reds are looking to cut payroll. I haven't found any other reports confirming that.

Reports by the Athletic say the Reds are open to trading Sonny Gray.

Another report says the Ray's are open to offers for Blake Snell (3 yrs/$39m).

Hopefully the Reds are just gauging the market to determine what teams are willing to pay for a front line starters in order to make a comparable offer for Snell without over paying.
Could also be a way to cushion the blow to the fan base for when Bauer bolts. Now they’ve got fans afraid they’ll lost both, so when they only lose one, it won’t seem as bad.

It was actually a pretty decent trade IMO for the Reds.

Agreed. I'm sure a few dopes will look at Hoffman's 2020 stats and say 'bad trade', but both Stephenson and Hoffman were first round draft pick pitchers who have been very disappointing. They both have great talent and a change of scenery should help both. Trading them heads up is a fair trade. The fact that the Reds were able to also get a top 30 prospect out of the Rockies makes it a plus for the Reds.

Agreed. I'm sure a few dopes will look at Hoffman's 2020 stats and say 'bad trade', but both Stephenson and Hoffman were first round draft pick pitchers who have been very disappointing. They both have great talent and a change of scenery should help both. Trading them heads up is a fair trade. The fact that the Reds were able to also get a top 30 prospect out of the Rockies makes it a plus for the Reds.
?

zee has a very boring life. he hates the reds but always posts on reds thread. lol. i do find you entertaining but you don't have much for brains lol. keep up the good work.

jtk
()

How so? Deads got a dude who had a 9 era last season?
Stephenson simply wasn't going to stick with this club so moving him for Hoffman is low risk high reward. The Reds aren't out anything if he flops. Getting Case Williams is a good get. He's young so it may be 5-7 years before we see him at GABP but he has alot of upside. He's got a really good fastball (96 as an 18yo) and an above average curve. The Reds gave up Hannah to complete the deal. Hannah is a speedy, light hitting, defensive outfielder. We've seen that show before and it doesn't work in a tinyballpark like GABP. He does make sense in Colorado and the mammoth parks of the NL West.

Stephenson simply wasn't going to stick with this club so moving him for Hoffman is low risk high reward. The Reds aren't out anything if he flops. Getting Case Williams is a good get. He's young so it may be 5-7 years before we see him at GABP but he has alot of upside. He's got a really good fastball (96 as an 18yo) and an above average curve. The Reds gave up Hannah to complete the deal. Hannah is a speedy, light hitting, defensive outfielder. We've seen that show before and it doesn't work in a tinyballpark like GABP. He does make sense in Colorado and the mammoth parks of the NL West.
So basically typical Deads, trade a crappy player for one who MIGHT turn out to be less crappy ?

So basically typical Deads, trade a crappy player for one who MIGHT turn out to be less crappy ?
Hoffman has 4 years of control left. If the Reds can harness his stuff then this will be a great trade. Stephenson was going to be non tendered so even if he has a turnaround in Colorado it still isn't a bad trade.

These are the types of trades that no one cares about at the time but can be impactful for the next decade.

If you want a slobberknocker of a deal.... How about Aaron Judge? The Yankees are rumored to be quietly shopping him for pitching (and they need catching help). Wade Miley (to balance the money), Casali (but preferably Barnhary) and any two prospect arms not named Lodolo and Greene. This might seem light for Judge but he has 2 years left and has missed considerable time with injuries. If those prospects are guiterriez and either Antone or Simms it might be enough.

Hoffman has 4 years of control left. If the Reds can harness his stuff then this will be a great trade. Stephenson was going to be non tendered so even if he has a turnaround in Colorado it still isn't a bad trade.

These are the types of trades that no one cares about at the time but can be impactful for the next decade.
Totally agree. No harm in trading Stephenson, and maybe Derek Johnson can "fix" Hoffman; if so nice pickup. Zeeyore complains if they do nothing, and complains if they do something. He/she never has any ideas or a plan, just ing.