General NFL Chat

clarkgriswold

We seem to have a lot of team specific and event specific on here, but nowhere to discuss the day-to-day stuff. There's a lot of stuff to talk about without the need for a specific thread. I figured I'd thrown up this thread for that kind of stuff.

Just saw Minnesota just traded Everson Griffen to the Lions for a conditional 6th rounder. Hard to believe that's all they could get and that they essentially gave him to a team in their own division.

With the injuries to the secondary I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals pick him up. He did okay-ish in New Orleans but not much in NY or Charlotte.

Browns could use Apple or any decent DB not named Sendejo.

I also saw on Twitter that the Browns inquired about Adam Thielen. I mean, if the Vikings are just giving good players away, let's ask.

I mentioned this on the Browns thread, but it is stunning how many bad teams there are. Seven teams with zero or 1 win after week 7. Let's examine which ones are "tanking" for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

- Jets - allegedly happy with Darnold, but Adam Gase is a mental case. New coach would take Lawrence in a heartbeat.
- Bengals - nope, Burrow is a stud. They could trade the top pick for a haul.
- Giants - they love Daniel Jones. Not sure why personally.
- Texans - they are all set with Watson - he is top tier
- Jaguars - they would upgrade from Minshew for sure
- Falcons - Matt Ryan is really good but won't play forever - they would take Lawrence or Fields for sure
- Vikings - Cousins is so average, but really expensive. I do think they would take Lawrence or Fields

I mentioned this on the Browns thread, but it is stunning how many bad teams there are. Seven teams with zero or 1 win after week 7. Let's examine which ones are "tanking" for Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields.

- Jets - allegedly happy with Darnold, but Adam Gase is a mental case. New coach would take Lawrence in a heartbeat.
- Bengals - nope, Burrow is a stud. They could trade the top pick for a haul.
- Giants - they love Daniel Jones. Not sure why personally.
- Texans - they are all set with Watson - he is top tier
- Jaguars - they would upgrade from Minshew for sure
- Falcons - Matt Ryan is really good but won't play forever - they would take Lawrence or Fields for sure
- Vikings - Cousins is so average, but really expensive. I do think they would take Lawrence or Fields

Jets- Gase won't be around long enough to make another draft call. He's the biggest repeat coaching mistake since Eric Mangini.
Bengals- exactly, use the pick to fill in a lot of weaknesses.
Giants- Jones is there for the long term. He could be above average.
Texans- they also have a lot of holes they could fill with more picks as crazy O'Brien sold the farm on picks.
Jags- Minshew is good for where they got him but he's not a franchise QB.
Falcons- Ryan is still atop 10 talent but Georgia boys like Fields and Lawrence could go over big there.
Vikings- I can't imagine playing for Mike Zimmer in Minnesota is appealing to any young QB.

Teams like the Bengals, Texans and Giants could really make out by moving an early pick for a bog group of picks to a team that wants to move up to get their potential franchise QB.

Jets- Gase won't be around long enough to make another draft call. He's the biggest repeat coaching mistake since Eric Mangini.
Bengals- exactly, use the pick to fill in a lot of weaknesses.
Giants- Jones is there for the long term. He could be above average.
Texans- they also have a lot of holes they could fill with more picks as crazy O'Brien sold the farm on picks.
Jags- Minshew is good for where they got him but he's not a franchise QB.
Falcons- Ryan is still atop 10 talent but Georgia boys like Fields and Lawrence could go over big there.
Vikings- I can't imagine playing for Mike Zimmer in Minnesota is appealing to any young QB.

Teams like the Bengals, Texans and Giants could really make out by moving an early pick for a bog group of picks to a team that wants to move up to get their potential franchise QB.
I can’t see the Giants passing up Lawrence. They would trade Jones.

If the Vikings are in a position to draft Lawrence, it means Mike Zimmer would be long gone.

I can’t see the Giants passing up Lawrence. They would trade Jones.

If the Vikings are in a position to draft Lawrence, it means Mike Zimmer would be long gone.

I'm not confident Gettleman would fall on his sword and admit his error in picking Jones.

I'm not confident Gettleman would fall on his sword and admit his error in picking Jones.
No worries. Gettleman won’t be making the pick. The Cardinals showed how quick you can re-make your team on the fly, even if you just drafted a QB high in the first round.

No worries. Gettleman won’t be making the pick. The Cardinals showed how quick you can re-make your team on the fly, even if you just drafted a QB high in the first round.

Good point. There could be a lot of big franchise changes in NYC this offseason!

I do think Daniel Jones could be okay with decent healthy players around him. Even Engram has been hugely disappointing and his receivers have never been top notch.

Good point. There could be a lot of big franchise changes in NYC this offseason!

I do think Daniel Jones could be okay with decent healthy players around him. Even Engram has been hugely disappointing and his receivers have never been top notch.
Imagine the NYC punditry if the Giants and Jets took Lawrence and Fields 1-2.

Does Houston own their 1st round pick this year? For some reason I thought Miami owns it in the Tunsil trade
According to tankathon.com, you are correct. The Dolphins own that pick which would currently be 5th overall plus the Texans' 2nd round pick. That hurts.

Additionally, the Jags own the Rams' 1st round pick which is currently 23rd overall (Jalen Ramsey trade, I presume), and the Jets own the Seahawks' 1st round pick which is currently 29th overall. The Jags also own the Vikings' 2nd round pick which would currently give the Jags 4 picks in the top 38. At worst, the Jags will have 4 picks in the top 50. Unfortunately, they are the Jags, so they could easily whiff on these picks (ex. Blaine Gabbert, Justin Blackmon, and Blake Bortles).

Last edited:
If Texans continue to struggle and the pick is in the top 5 they could get Penei Sewell, I would take him over Tunsil. If Tua shows he is the man in Miami they can be positioned for a nice run the next couple of years.

Imagine the NYC punditry if the Giants and Jets took Lawrence and Fields 1-2.
Lawrence is most likely the #1 pick and Fields may be the #2 QB taken, but he may be down the list a little. IMO he needs to prove he can make the throws vs. the better defenses in the country. The track record for Buckeye QB's at the next level isn't good. Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Terrell Pryor, Cardale Jones.... The jury is still out on Haskins, but he's trending down. I just think Buckeye QB's get overvalued because they put up big numbers and wins verses frankly inferior Big ten defenses. You get to the next level and the windows are smaller, the games are closer and there is more pressure. Fields is going to win at Ohio State weather he has a good game or bad game because their overall talent level is higher than the big ten teams. 4 and 5 stars playing against 2 stars and walk ons is pretty easy.

Lawrence is most likely the #1 pick and Fields may be the #2 QB taken, but he may be down the list a little. IMO he needs to prove he can make the throws vs. the better defenses in the country. The track record for Buckeye QB's at the next level isn't good. Troy Smith, Braxton Miller, Terrell Pryor, Cardale Jones.... The jury is still out on Haskins, but he's trending down. I just think Buckeye QB's get overvalued because they put up big numbers and wins verses frankly inferior Big ten defenses. You get to the next level and the windows are smaller, the games are closer and there is more pressure. Fields is going to win at Ohio State weather he has a good game or bad game because their overall talent level is higher than the big ten teams. 4 and 5 stars playing against 2 stars and walk ons is pretty easy.
Right. Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Spartans just have a bunch of 2-star recruits. Gotcha. Certainly OSU has a talent advantage, but you are way off base. plenty of 3 and 4 star guys everywhere in the Big 10.

Fields will go right after Lawrence, no question.

Right. Penn State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Spartans just have a bunch of 2-star recruits. Gotcha. Certainly OSU has a talent advantage, but you are way off base. plenty of 3 and 4 star guys everywhere in the Big 10.

Not to mention using different style QBs in different offensive schemes under different OC/HCs as a basis for why Fields will fail in the NFL is completely flawed logic. But par the course for 14.

I think Fields is a little but of a different animal than the other OSU QB's. He's also coming into a time in the NFL that the coaches are figuring out ways to use multi-dimensional QBs.

Assuming nobody goes to heck or blows up, there may be 5 QBs picked in the first round: Lawrence; Fields; Lance (North Dakota State); Zach Wilson (BYU); and Trask (Florida). It's possible 4 of those could go in the top 10.

Especailly if Murray continues to get better, and Ravens QB keeps on his stellar arc, I see Fields getting selected over Lawrence.

Especailly if Murray continues to get better, and Ravens QB keeps on his stellar arc, I see Fields getting selected over Lawrence.
Oh boy, I like Fields, but it’s hard to imagine anyone drafted over Lawrence. He’s the Elway/Manning/Luck generational talent. I would say Vick falls in that category too, but I don’t see Fields on his level coming out of college either. But Fields will go second, for sure.

There are a few putting Trey Lance as the 2nd QB picked, ahead of Fields. Zach Wilson also gets some mention of possibly being #2 behind Lawrence.
Personally, see Fields going second depending upon whoever picks second is ok with Fields style of play

There are a few putting Trey Lance as the 2nd QB picked, ahead of Fields. Zach Wilson also gets some mention of possibly being #2 behind Lawrence.
Personally, see Fields going second depending upon whoever picks second is ok with Fields style of play

Who would this be? Everyone I see and especially the pro analytic based guys have Fields at a solid #2 with Zach Wilson pushing Lance now for the #3 spot. Wilson is getting a lot of nice "win": plays on tape while Lance didn't help himself out much with that showcase game he had North Dakota St. schedule a month or so ago, he was rusty and put some more flaws on tape. Outside of OL, QB is the hardest position to project to the next level as the various levels of competition and systems used make it difficult to do. Personally I think Lawrence is the only sure fire day 1 starter of the bunch, the balance have some work on their games and may take a month or two or plus to turn into a starter in the NFL.