Jackson State announces Deion Sanders as its next head football coach

I understand that. Jackson State will have no problems raising money for upgrades. The other HBCU are also receiving large donations. DO a little google search on HBCU players who ended up in the Pro Football HOF. Call it a sign of the times but HBCU have seen interest in their institutions really grow this year. I think it's a positive thing that will continue to grow. The Power 5 will still get plenty of guys to fill their rosters.

I understand that. Jackson State will have no problems raising money for upgrades. The other HBCU are also receiving large donations. DO a little google search on HBCU players who ended up in the Pro Football HOF. Call it a sign of the times but HBCU have seen interest in their institutions really grow this year. I think it's a positive thing that will continue to grow. The Power 5 will still get plenty of guys to fill their rosters.
Most of the HOF's from the HBCU's are from the era where southern blacks had to either go up north to play college football or play at an all-black school in the south.

The money and facilities gap from Power 5 to HBCU's in football is enormous. Now basketball could be interesting. Say a couple 5 stars go to Texas Southern or Bethune-Cookman, they could lead the program to a Final Four. Football is not so easy, though. Hey, I wish Prime well. I just see it as a passing fad that will end when Covid ends and people have more to do and less to protest about.

I see. I thought you were saying they’d be able to compete with P5 directly. That’s not going to happen in Football. Basketball is an entirely difft story. If Loyola & George Mason can get to a FF, an HBCU could as well.

Last edited:
I see. I thought you were saying they’d be able to compete with P5 directly. That’s not going to happen in Football. Basketball is an entirely soft story. If Loyola & George Mason can get to a FF, an HBCU could as well.

Not at all. I think they can make some national noise based on all the media attention and big names supporting things. I'd imagine big companies will also provide sponsorship money. I think you'll see the HBCU really grow in the next few years.

Since May, black athletes [that did not attend these HBCUs, nor did they ever consider them when they were being recruited by non-HBCUs] have been encouraging kids to go to HBCU. It's definitely gaining momentum and this will do nothing but help. it's widely thought that Bronny will go the HBCU route if he plays college bball. I'm not saying it'll turn into the SEC but some highly ranked recruits are giving HBCU series looks now. We'll see
Fixed it for you.

Check what's going on in basketball...top recruits are going to HBCU. He also just left a very successful career in television to go to Barstool which is the fastest growing media company. Especially around the college age group. He's had NFL and NCAA opportunities but turned them down. Amazing how kids just started showing up at the HS he's coaching at. They play a national schedule much like IMG. He's also coached the All-American games for years. I might be wrong. Time will tell

One top recruit has chosen an HBCU, not top recruits. Basketball is also very different from football - he can go to Howard and leave after a year for the NBA, G-league or overseas and still make a very good living. Basketball doesn't have nearly the same impact on the body that football does so the facilities issue at Jackson State vs. P5 or even G5 is a significantly more important issue than it is for Maker and Howard. And I may very well be totally incorrect as well. I just think there's a lot going against him and he doesn't exactly have a long track record for sticking around.

Update. He's already grabbed a Mississippi State (Mike Leach) commit and it looks like a high LSU commit will do the same.

I don't know about the LSU kid. From 4 days ago:

Smith, who is ranked No.1 in the state in the 247Sports Composite Rankings for the 2021 class, and 88th nationally, says he still plans to honor his LSU commitment.

But yes he did get a freshmen at MSU, who was not recruited by Mike Leach, to transfer.

You are right that HBCU's profile have grown on the national level lately, especially in the last year. I think that is a great thing.

I give Deion a year or two, tops. Here's a guy who's lived off his God given talents, he's not used to working 12-16 hour days, recruiting, dealing with students issues, coaching issues, etc. For Jackson State, there's no downside, they've got more attention the last week than they've had in 10 years.

I give Deion a year or two, tops. Here's a guy who's lived off his God given talents, he's not used to working 12-16 hour days, recruiting, dealing with students issues, coaching issues, etc. For Jackson State, there's no downside, they've got more attention the last week than they've had in 10 years.

Except he's been putting 12-16 hours a day when he was coaching high school football while also working for the NFL Network. Literally flying back and forth between the two so he could be to as much as possible. Saying he lived off his God Given Talents? Probably one of he top 5-10 athletes of all time. Hope he can sleep at night....he's always been considered a hard worker though which continues today.

Deion's mentored high school/college football players for years. He'll do fine communicating with them. That's why he's always a popular coach for All-Star games.

Oh, and his contract was released the other day. He's basically working for chump change. Jackson State and Coach Sanders could end up being a great match.

Except he's been putting 12-16 hours a day when he was coaching high school football while also working for the NFL Network. Literally flying back and forth between the two so he could be to as much as possible. Saying he lived off his God Given Talents? Probably one of he top 5-10 athletes of all time. Hope he can sleep at night....he's always been considered a hard worker though which continues today.

Deion's mentored high school/college football players for years. He'll do fine communicating with them. That's why he's always a popular coach for All-Star games.

Oh, and his contract was released the other day. He's basically working for chump change. Jackson State and Coach Sanders could end up being a great match.
Thanks for the update. It's still going to be different for him. And I figured Jackson State couldn't pay much. And all I'm saying about the God given talents is he didn't have to work hard to be a great athlete, it came naturally.

Thanks for the update. It's still going to be different for him. And I figured Jackson State couldn't pay much. And all I'm saying about the God given talents is he didn't have to work hard to be a great athlete, it came naturally.
I’m sure Dion didn’t work hard at all to be possibly the best corner in nfl history. Good call.

Sanders might have the right idea in attracting name former players to his staff, name recognition can at least get their foot in the door with a goodly number of kids. The circumstances are different but the name that initially popped into my head was Mike Jinks, from all reports he was a really good guy but wound up being a train wreck but at least Jinks had a whopping three years collegiate coaching experience.

Last edited:
Outside his stuff getting stolen during the game, Deion had Jackson State looking good in a 53-0 win against Edward Waters. I'm not sure if that was the expected outcome but saw it was JSU's first shutout since 2014. Troy Aiken surprised him by showing up.

I actually like the idea of these “Spring” games with how dull Basketball has been. It’d just be nice to be able to watch them w/o ESPN +.

I actually like the idea of these “Spring” games with how dull Basketball has been. It’d just be nice to be able to watch them w/o ESPN +.

We agree on something...it's early but I've enjoyed watching the lower divisions that I normally skip in the fall. These guys/teams have some pretty cool stories that we don't normally hear.

Outside his stuff getting stolen during the game, Deion had Jackson State looking good in a 53-0 win against Edward Waters. I'm not sure if that was the expected outcome but saw it was JSU's first shutout since 2014. Troy Aiken surprised him by showing up.
Looking at Edward Waters 2019 schedule they were 1-10. Blown out when they played other SWAC teams. To early to tell if Sanders has made an impact on the field.

Impressive win today vs Grambling State as -10.5 underdogs. I know it's to early but they've looked good. Every game's getting national exposure. NFL teams are watching. And Deion's friends and old teammates are praising Jackson State all over social media. I'm not saying they're going to turn into Ohio State but...wouldn't be surprised to see them grabbing some pretty decent recruits.

And now he just flipped the top recruit in the country on signing day. Think FSU wishes they hired Deion a few years ago

ah,

there weren't just a few here in favor of NIL, they had to see this coming? Expect many NFLers to put their money where their corporate mouth is and build the HBCU sports franchises. For the vast majority of D1 players, the degree at an HBCU, at Harvard, at the local community college are no different. If the NFL doesn't work out, they'll have an equivalent teaching, socialogy and even business degree (since it was economic connections that already brought them there) from just about anywhere.

Last edited:
Haha...Barstool didn’t offer him anything. The post is from an unverified account with less than 500 followers earlier today. Then if you check below...dude pimps his Finance company that‘ll make you rich.

Then Barstool just played into the joke the rest of the day.
Also, had Barstool signed him...there would’ve been mercy dropped before the ink dried
lol, right, well then he wasn't too smart. Not a lot of NIL money associated with a school like Jackson State.

And now he just flipped the top recruit in the country on signing day. Think FSU wishes they hired Deion a few years ago
The 2 million from barstool got him. Could have happened with any team.
Haha...Barstool didn’t offer him anything. The post is from an unverified account with less than 500 followers earlier today. Then if you check below...dude pimps his Finance company that‘ll make you rich.

Then Barstool just played into the joke the rest of the day.
Also, had Barstool signed him...there would’ve been mercy dropped before the ink dried
Yes they did. He got between 1.7 million and 3 million from reports I saw. Deion works with barstool. This stuff will happen now with NIL. Hunter passed on Georgia and Alabama too.

Also FSU just got a 5 star left tackle 10 minutes ago which is harder to get than a big time corner. They'll be fine.

Last edited:
The 2 million from barstool got him. Could have happened with any team.

Yes they did. He got between 1.7 million and 3 million from reports I saw. Deion works with barstool. This stuff will happen now with NIL. Hunter passed on Georgia and Alabama too.

Also FSU just got a 5 star left tackle 10 minutes ago which is harder to get than a big time corner. They'll be fine.
Barstool didn’t give him a penny. Fact

I’m well aware Deion is a part-time employee for Barstool who contributes to their NFL content. There’s also a separate contract for Coach Prime which you should check out if you get a chance.

Not one single penny.

Barstool didn’t give him a penny. Fact

I’m well aware Deion is a part-time employee for Barstool who contributes to their NFL content. There’s also a separate contract for Coach Prime which you should check out if you get a chance.

Not one single penny.
So the kid turned his back on six figure payday?