Adam Silver: NBA to consider delaying start of next season, may finish 2019-20

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The NBA's board of governors met on Friday to discuss the fallout of COVID-19 and how the league might approach a potential resumption of the season, but in a conference call with media that followed, commissioner Adam Silver offered no firm plans or decisions. The priority, as first reported by The Athletic's Shams Charania, is the safety of players and staff, and so long as the league's ability to play games safely is in doubt, Silver made it clear that doing so will not be possible. "We are not in any position to make any decisions and it's unclear when we will be," the commissioner said.

Not really caring if they ever return to play, to be honest.

Hoping MLB can at least play half a season and playoffs.

Especially hoping football at all levels plays full seasons.

I'm kind of wondering if the type of sport will determine whether they can begin playing again. A sport like tennis and golf should be easy to start up without crowds. Not much interaction for those two, especially golf. Baseball has lots of social distancing built into the sport. Many players go a whole game without physically coming into contact with another player. Football and basketball are on the other end of the spectrum, they are constantly contacting other players. Far more risk of spreading a communicable disease.

Wouldn't totally surprise me to see baseball get started while basketball has to wait until next year.

So now some are complaining that they dont want to start because it would slow down the BLM movement?

Geesh.

Just bag the season. Let them do their thing on the activism front.
When they see how little folks care then maybe they realize the status they have attained is because of basketball.

Kyrie "flat Earth" Irving seems to be doing his best to torpedo a restart to the season.

This is an easy virtue signalling moment for him and the other high-end players that have made north of $100 million, but it would be a major blow to the bottom of the totem pole salary players.

Kyrie "flat Earth" Irving seems to be doing his best to torpedo a restart to the season.

This is an easy virtue signalling moment for him and the other high-end players that have made north of $100 million, but it would be a major blow to the bottom of the totem pole salary players.
Yeah.
Go ahead and start a new league.
See how much money flows.....

Just when I run out of new reasons not to like Kyrie Irving...
That is one strange dude. He played a handful of games at Duke, got hurt. Went to the Cavs and was the best player on a bad team. LeBron came in and they tolerated each other for a couple of years, he hits the game winning shot in 16 and that seemed to have put him in the twilight zone. He's never been the same guy. He forced his way out of Cleveland, Boston was a disaster and New Jersey hasn't been great. Uncle Drew was a bust.

That is one strange dude. He played a handful of games at Duke, got hurt. Went to the Cavs and was the best player on a bad team. LeBron came in and they tolerated each other for a couple of years, he hits the game winning shot in 16 and that seemed to have put him in the twilight zone. He's never been the same guy. He forced his way out of Cleveland, Boston was a disaster and New Jersey hasn't been great. Uncle Drew was a bust.

Just so much talent. The dude can get buckets as well as anybody in the league, but he's an absolute whacko and gimp.

Just so much talent. The dude can get buckets as well as anybody in the league, but he's an absolute whacko and gimp.
Not the first, won't be the last. This is what happens when these guys get so much money, so early. They lose their sense of competition.

i wondered if the nba ever considered that its hurricane season in florida and has protocalls in place.the season started a little early this year with 3 name tropical storms.just because a hurricane goes on the gulf side,atlantic side or southern tip or florida doesnt mean walt disney sportsworld park wont get hit because it can especially a cat 3,4 or 5 can go inland and make significant damage or destruction.the nba has to be on guard and pay attention watching the radar and the weather channel. first covid 19 and maybe a hurricane.only time will tell but the nba has to be ready for it.

I'm not against a players run league. I really think it would make the pros more like the college game. We have to live through a boring 82 game schedule with players who don't really care. When the postseason starts, it is much better basketball but there is still alot of coasting.

The Basketball Tournament has it right. Games really do matter and the format is exciting. Maybe a players owned league would borrow more from the TBT and less from the NBA.

I'm not against a players run league. I really think it would make the pros more like the college game. We have to live through a boring 82 game schedule with players who don't really care. When the postseason starts, it is much better basketball but there is still alot of coasting.

The Basketball Tournament has it right. Games really do matter and the format is exciting. Maybe a players owned league would borrow more from the TBT and less from the NBA.
TBT Teams are dropping out and it hasn't started yet,just one case on any team and thats it for them.